Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

lambskin posted:

A lot of YouTube people wish that BF1 was BF4

a lot of youtube people are idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tei posted:

What happened with this game? I have really good memories of it, but when I see referentes to it on youtube people talk like the game is now a radiactive crater. Has something bad happened to it? It was a really good BF, next to Desert Combat, Galactic Conquest, BF2 and Bad Company 2.

Youtube people are garbage? Game fine as it always been

You piqued my curiosity because I don't know a whole lot about PC populations because console generally has a bunch of people playing the randomest oldest games anyway. But here are some numbars

BF1:
Currently online players (Total: 73,283):

PC
Peak 24h

XBOXONE
Peak 24h

PS4
Peak 24h

BF4:
Currently online players (Total: 40,871):
PC
Peak 24h

PS3
Peak 24h

XBOX360
Peak 24h

XBOXONE
Peak 24h

PS4
Peak 24h

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The people expressing those sentiments are probably just helicopter lords / locker fetishists

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The thing I miss most is the spawn beacon. No more walking up behind the enemy team every single time I spawn for an entire match.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s no ucav so there wasn’t enough replayability for me.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The people expressing those sentiments are probably just helicopter lords / locker fetishists

I'm surprised the chopper spergs didn't go over to BF1 since there is some stupid code among attack plane pilots that they won't shoot at each other, ever. Like, the game is set in 1918 not 1914 you fools

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

One of the main reasons I prefer BF4 over BF1 is it's so goddamn fun to take down the skyspergs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm surprised the chopper spergs didn't go over to BF1 since there is some stupid code among attack plane pilots that they won't shoot at each other, ever. Like, the game is set in 1918 not 1914 you fools

This code pretty much went away after the first 6mo or so, around the time they nerfed the attack plane.

Man the KDR you could get in an attack plane was bananas in those days.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've put like 1200h on BF4 (PC) and another hundred between xbox360 and ps4. Skylords are the worst but you have enough AA tools to annoy them. In BF1 fixed AA placements get hosed really early and LMGs do almost no damage to bombers. Right now I feel like reinstalling BF4 on my ps4 than keep playing BF1. As much as I like this one, the setting and the biggest amount of snipers of all bf games I've played are a big con for me.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Locker, Metro, and for some dumb reason Shanghai are about the only things you can reliably find servers for.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I didn't like BF1 very much at all and quit quickly, though I always have trouble explaining why. I get very distinctive, definite feels from the parts of the game I don't like, but I can't say the things I like are objectively bad game design or anything. I just don't LIKE them.

1. The combat felt too arcade-y. It just felt dumbed down and stupid compared to previous battlefield games. Map design tended to be very one-dimensional without much room for flanking or the like. Gunplay was not rewarding. Gas grenades SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED, whether they were thematically appropriate or not.
2. The graphics looked very.... plastic, in a way that's difficult for me to elaborate on. The world and the objects in it were unappealing to look at.
3. None of the guns looked or felt good. I sort of touched on this with regards to how gunplay never felt rewarding, but it's more even than that. There was no sense of satisfaction or lethality when shooting most of them. Again, this is kind of a constraint of the setting, but seriously. None of these weapons were memorable or fun to use.
4. The behemoths were designed to break up unstable equilibriums and giving losing teams a chance to make comebacks. They failed miserably because they took the problem of "losing team doesn't have enough presence in contested areas" and made it even worse, by having tons of team members sitting on the behemoth and not contesting points.
5. I did not like the class balance. Specifically, the assault class. It is the ONLY class that can do meaningful damage to vehicles and all of its guns have an effective range about 15-20 feet. I know they obviously didn't want to make one class just flat out superior to the others, but the fact that you're just hosed if enemy infantry are further away than that but you still want to have SOME kind of anti-vehicle options? Always hated it. I am made to understand some of the DLC introduced new weapons for this class which fixed the problem, but I did not like the game enough to buy DLC for it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I think a real reason BF1 didn’t grab me like 4 did was the general lack of verticality to the maps.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The maps in BF1 were clearly designed for Operations and often don't play well in other modes.

The gun play is simplistic for most of the weapons, and the Hellriegel... the loving Hellriegel.

Overall though it was a fun game in an interesting setting with some good modes, guns, and vehicles.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It’s also the only real modern spiritual sequel to Red Baron 3D. Any game that lets me fly Gotha bombers and Fokker DR. 1s is the game for me

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

sunday at work posted:

Locker, Metro, and for some dumb reason Shanghai are about the only things you can reliably find servers for.

People really like taking down that skyscraper

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I've put like 1200h on BF4 (PC) and another hundred between xbox360 and ps4. Skylords are the worst but you have enough AA tools to annoy them. In BF1 fixed AA placements get hosed really early and LMGs do almost no damage to bombers. Right now I feel like reinstalling BF4 on my ps4 than keep playing BF1. As much as I like this one, the setting and the biggest amount of snipers of all bf games I've played are a big con for me.

That's the biggest con for me too. there's basically nothing you can do against snipers, aside from hoping your squad spawns somewhere that you could feasibly sneak up on a sniper, or getting into a fighter and strafing the hills on the edge of the map constantly. Which then also becomes a problem if there's a skylord on the other team. We need an early 20th century UCAV to bring balance to this game.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

red19fire posted:

That's the biggest con for me too. there's basically nothing you can do against snipers, aside from hoping your squad spawns somewhere that you could feasibly sneak up on a sniper, or getting into a fighter and strafing the hills on the edge of the map constantly. Which then also becomes a problem if there's a skylord on the other team. We need an early 20th century UCAV to bring balance to this game.

I'll tell you what's a lot of fun is gassing your own team's snipers

Especially with the landship that you can park in front of them too

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

red19fire posted:

Just ignore them.

Snipers do basically nothing for their team and are rarely good enough to kill anyone, nevermind actually good enough to make any type of positive impact. The more snipers on the enemy team the easier it is to win. Let the whole team snipe if they want imo.

And I agree, nothing is better than being a support class and throwing neverending gas grenades in front of your lovely sniper teammates. It's amazing that someone will actually spend 20+ minutes of laying down, getting gas grenaded, getting up, moving 20 feet, laying down, getting gas grenaded, repeat, rather than actually play the game as intended.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 26, 2018

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

RCarr posted:

Just ignore them.

Snipers do basically nothing for their team and are rarely good enough to kill anyone, nevermind actually good enough to make any type of positive impact. The more snipers on the enemy team the easier it is to win. Let the whole team snipe if they want imo.

And I agree, nothing is better than being a support class and throwing neverending gas grenades in front of your lovely sniper teammates. It's amazing that someone will actually spend 20+ minutes of laying down, getting gas grenaded, getting up, moving 20 feet, laying down, getting gas grenaded, repeat, rather than actually play the game as intended.

It's true, all of it...

If you see a majority of scout symbols on your team when looking at the roster you're probably going to lose the round. They are effectively useless. But I feel like Battlefield has never really been about winning or losing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

It's true, all of it...

If you see a majority of scout symbols on your team when looking at the roster you're probably going to lose the round. They are effectively useless. But I feel like Battlefield has never really been about winning or losing.

Nah it's about getting a sick KDR as a sniper.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
BF1 isn’t as good because you can’t launch cars and motorcycles covered in dynamite at enemy tanks. :argh:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The sad part is an offensive scout that moves with his team is super effective. The spotting flare is a HUGE advantage. I’ve played plenty of rounds where I’ve won MVP and had the most flag caps as a scout.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I really really really want iron sight scout guns to carry over to the next game.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I am enjoying BF1 but it feels like I'm just playing in the mud the entire time. I get that it's WW1 and it was all mud all the time, but it doesn't translate to a game very well. At least we'll have some green in the next game. Brown and green. That's all we get.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sweet spot for snipers have to go. I've been one shot many times from ranges (and bodyshots) that I'd survive in any other BF game. BF1 is fun, not going to deny that but BF4 is a more complete experience. Sure, it's 5 year old already but with every patch I feel BF1 gets worse.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
There is tons of green in the french DLC? And glorious snow in the russian one

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about re: snipers because they have been AT rocket fodder for the better part of this game

I heard they nerfed the rocket and I have't used it lately but the medic mondragon still outsnipes any dedicated sniper on the map? :shrug:

I love BF4 and modern hardware but it was way more of a lone wolf shooter compared to BF1 which actually has infantry pushes and the visual effect of a raging battlefield with actual lines to push and break through. BF4 for me was a great MGS4 sneakathon but it was like a huge weird counter strike map of spec ops commandos having 1v1s all over the place, or just a locker hallway full of explosions. Air to ground interaction might as well be calling on your cell and rolling dice to see who explodes, or just plain dunking on infantry before zooming back behind a mountain to hide. Helicopters were A+ tho lol

It sucks that you have to be an airsperg to truly appreciate how well the whole system of BF1 works but man nothing beats strafing and bombing ground targets you can see with the naked eye as they shoot back at you and getting knocked around by manual AA while stuck in an actual dogfight (lol modern jets do not turnfight at point blank) and then bailing out to see meaningful troop movements as you float to the ground and join a squad supporting a tank pushing on a flag.

...Ok all that said I totally want a new modern battlefield

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I want a new modern Battlefield because modern tech means more ways to kill snipers. UCAVs, choppers, spawn beacons that drop you on their head, BF4 was full of delicious sniper-killing methods. I don't even think snipers are OP and need counters or whatever, I just love killing snipers.

I am unreasonably excited about the "exotic" scout archetype that DICE mentioned in the BFV reveal, the one that is meant to be behind enemy lines and carries a loving garrotte as a gadget. If that gives me silent melee takedowns like it sounds like it should, I'm gonna be choking wookie packs to death all day every day.

Gonna miss disgustingly overpowered horses though.

https://i.imgur.com/u3tXxOP.mp4

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009
Anyone else get an alpha invite?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yep

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not, but for people that are into that sort of thing. Here is what the alpha invite look like:

quote:

BATTLEFIELD V

Welcome To The Battlefield V Closed Alpha

Congratulations! You’ve been selected to participate in the Battlefield™ V Closed Alpha!

We invite you to preload the game before the Closed Alpha becomes available. The Closed Alpha will be live tomorrow, June 28th, 2018 at 0800 UTC / 0100 PST.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Aye, I got it.

It's great but stripped of a lot of features. Alpha be alpha.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

sunday at work posted:

The maps in BF1 were clearly designed for Operations and often don't play well in other modes.

This was the biggest flaw of the game in my opinion. The maps were clearly designed with Operations in mind, which is not a bad thing as Operations were a lot of fun, but then shoehorning a map into Conquest or whatever led to some underwhelming games. The Apocalypse DLC did this horribly, where the maps were CLEARLY Operations designed but then there was no Operations mode for those maps (and maybe that has changed since I stopped playing).

I also think releasing a major change to gun mechanics a year into the game's life was a dumb move, and it made everything feel different, which I didn't like. Decreasing time to kill across the board wasn't a great idea, in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I feel the same about the TTK patch. I mean, the LMGs had underwhelming damage but non storm variants handled better. Hell, the BAR trench was usable and now is hot garbage beyond 20m. At least the chauchat with the damage buff is competitive at medium ranges.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do I get in the alpha?!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Dice/EA invites you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am watching some gameplay and looks pretty garbage. And generic. Is not exactly the worst BF game. My spies say that is not using the high resolution textures.

Also gently caress infantry combat. Who cares about the walking peasants.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Me, because gently caress skylords and people hiding between armor. My chest is my armor and my c4/limpet/dynamite my main weapon in BF games (sometimes a slapped on top of a vehicle for faster delivery).

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Me, because gently caress skylords and people hiding between armor. My chest is my armor and my c4/limpet/dynamite my main weapon in BF games (sometimes a slapped on top of a vehicle for faster delivery).

If they remove mortar from BFV, I am going to make a very angry post in Reddit.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Vehicle autists are the reason why every Battlefield game usually gets progressively worse with balance patches. Devs listen to the loud minority of people who play Battlefield games just sit in a tank or a little bird the entire match, and who will cry their eyes out on the forums if their KDRs drop below 20.0. Those motherfuckers got my C4 nerfed in BF4. The loving melee range anti-tank option was deemed just too powerful in a game where a tank can roll in at 60 MPH, see you with thermals from 100m away and cut you down in half a second. And don't even get started on the little birds. gently caress dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Vehicle autists are the reason why every Battlefield game usually gets progressively worse with balance patches. Devs listen to the loud minority of people who play Battlefield games just sit in a tank or a little bird the entire match, and who will cry their eyes out on the forums if their KDRs drop below 20.0. Those motherfuckers got my C4 nerfed in BF4. The loving melee range anti-tank option was deemed just too powerful in a game where a tank can roll in at 60 MPH, see you with thermals from 100m away and cut you down in half a second. And don't even get started on the little birds. gently caress dice

I think this, but about shotguns, or explosive ammo.

In every BF game that I have played (that is all of them, but the cops one) the game is shipped with awesome shotguns, or unlocable explosive ammo, but that end nerfed. Only people with good aim is allowed to kill other people.