Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, that mascot thing from rave master showed up from time to time in fairy tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm just going to assume that Mashima is doing the thing that Hayao Miyazaki does and have the same "typecast actors" starring in all his works.

EDIT: Look!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 25, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That sure was some Mashima on full display right there.
Cat ears and bondage in the first chapter.

But hey, I'm fully prepared for another really REALLY stupid, fanservice heavy, friendship story. Let's enjoy this crazy ride.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno, that mascot thing from rave master showed up from time to time in fairy tail.

Is that the drill nosed dog thing? That's on the cover of this thing too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this new girl is actually pretty smart. if she wants to become a youtube superstar, a talking cat and a very short skirt are excellent methods.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The dog represents the Polar Star so he'll probably show up.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember reading somewhere that Mashima names his male protagonists after the seasons. There is Haru (spring) from Rave Master and Natsu (summer) from Fairy Tail. What is Shiki from this new series? I know it isn't autumn (Aki) or winter (Fuyu). Has he even used the names Aki or Fuyu for anything?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mashima you coward
Make this manga but take out all the humans

I like everything in this except the humans.

The adventures of demon king bot. featuring Usopp bot.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 25, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Four seasons 四季.

Or so id assume based on just reading shiki I haven't actually read the manga in Japanese or at all

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
There's a note during one of the pages that says Shiki is a special name for him so he's using it again. Can't be too mad about that really.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

...Why?

If I ever made a list of finished mangas that deserve a sequel, Fairy Tail would be at the very end of that list, together with Naruto.

Life is pretty unfair sometimes. :sigh:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lt. Lizard posted:

...Why?

If I ever made a list of finished mangas that deserve a sequel, Fairy Tail would be at the very end of that list, together with Naruto.

Life is pretty unfair sometimes. :sigh:

It's not a sequel it just looks exactly the same :ssh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Allarion posted:

It's not a sequel it just looks exactly the same :ssh:

I don't know if that's better or even worse :psyduck:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao Hiro Mashima ft w

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not like fairy tail wasn't already reusing designs from rave master

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Started off dismissive because of the really blatant recycled character designs in that color spread (not counting Plue and Happy, since they're mascots, so whatever) but I'll admit the change in setting got me a little more interested. Mashima may not be the most inspired writer of all time but I still enjoy the energy behind his stuff.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

ETA until Jellal/Seig Hart reuse?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would welcome the return of literally Erza.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I would welcome the return of literally Erza.

one of the characters on that two page spread looks like literally erza so maybe you'll get your wish

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

So is this actually supposed to be new or just Fairy Tail time skip 3: Kids Edition?
For some reason I think Fairy Tail had 3 time skips already in the manga but either way I left after the first one and never looked back.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think I stopped reading after they fake-killed Ezra like twice in one arc and it became clear it wasn't going to do a single thing to surprise me, ever.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I won't be following this but there better be a reveal that the tsundere bots told the new lucy and of their plan and she was just acting

fits the youtube thing and also means she can tell new natsu at some point to cheer him up so he can beat someone up

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is there a list of major fairy tale casualties anywhere

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

iirc the only actual casualty that didn't come back to life was... simon? I think that was his name

unless you count bad guys because apparently some of them inexplicably died off screen and got brought back as zombies

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

iirc the only actual casualty that didn't come back to life was... simon? I think that was his name

unless you count bad guys because apparently some of them inexplicably died off screen and got brought back as zombies

Lucy's father and Igneel both died for real, IIRC.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Thoren posted:

Is there a list of major fairy tale casualties anywhere
Simon, Nearly all of the demons, Nearly all of Hade's crew, about half of the Alvarez guys, Mavis and Zeref, and that's about all I can remember

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kidcoelacanth posted:

Look into your heart, you already know the answer.

I actually really feel like I don't. FT was kinda all over the place quality-wise, and I could legit buy either answer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mavis and zeref came back in the epilogue

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

mavis and zeref came back in the epilogue
reincarnated as adults somehow despite it only having been like a year or so since their deaths

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

reincarnated as adults somehow despite it only having been like a year or so since their deaths

I assumed they were just other people who looked like them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually really feel like I don't. FT was kinda all over the place quality-wise, and I could legit buy either answer.

The Zeref fight was rushed as hell and Natsu punches the poo poo out of the evil dragon guy with a giant fist of friendship.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess it turns out it's really, really hard to make a shounen series out of golf, but props to the guy that had the cojones to try.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sindai posted:

I guess it turns out it's really, really hard to make a shounen series out of golf, but props to the guy that had the cojones to try.
King Golf and Dan-Doh kinda succeeded there.

What's really a death sentence is trying to do soccer in Weekly Shonen Jump after Tsubasa

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Robot x Lazerbeam kinda lost me early on with the words most prozaic scotsman in literary history as its mc and golf not being particularly my bag.

But hey, kudos for it lasting a year, at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well, Mashima clearly enjoyed Nier Automata and Gravity Rush, and still likes boobs and butts and bondage.

The kind of mesoamerican space dragon design was cool. A shame that the chapter ending lines are already sidelining Lucy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I remember following Fairy Tail up until they transported to opposite land where Natsu there was good at driving cars. I read some of that guy's other series and it's incredible that he has so many and they're all the literal same series (deep insight). I lost interest though because everyone became a dragon slayer and also every fight was the most cliché power of friendship. I read some stuff on the wiki once and it just sounded horrifically convoluted the longer it went on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

those are all true about fairy tail and also rave master was better. this first chapter of the new series seems like more fairy tail to me, but the premise is kinda cool and I never disliked fairy tail enough to actually drop it so I'll prob check in on this occasionally too

on robot x laserbeam: I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did tbh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I vaguely remember the end of Fairy Tail, some of the grossest stuff in it, and some of the bad guy deaths

My brain refuses to remember anything else

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I initially was put off when Mistgun who seemed cool as hell turned out to be that one face he always draws and a dragonslayer also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone is Jellal.