Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I wonder if an immortal 6/6/6 AI ruler is enough to make a high american nation not suck horrendously. Probably not. :v:
Now I want to figure out how to give all of the tribes one of these just for the hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's incredibly easy. In history\countries find the tribe you want and replace the monarch with something like this:
code:
1444.1.1 = {
	monarch = {
		name = "Jinju"
		dynasty = "Go"
		birth_date = 1000.1.1
		adm = 7
		dip = 7
		mil = 7
	}
	clear_scripted_personalities = yes
	add_ruler_personality = immortal_personality
}

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

it's incredibly easy. In history\countries find the tribe you want and replace the monarch with something like this:
code:
1444.1.1 = {
	monarch = {
		name = "Jinju"
		dynasty = "Go"
		birth_date = 1000.1.1
		adm = 7
		dip = 7
		mil = 7
	}
	clear_scripted_personalities = yes
	add_ruler_personality = immortal_personality
}
That is way less painful than I expected. Thank you.

Hrrmmm decisions....

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Poil posted:

Neither of those seem very fun. Either drowning in monarch points or playing some weird streamer challenge. Maybe I'll just go with a regular ruler then.

I wonder if an immortal 6/6/6 AI ruler is enough to make a high american nation not suck horrendously. Probably not. :v:

Maybe if there was some way to jump ahead to the year 1500? It's really really dull before the Europeans show up.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just max out game speed and go make a sandwich. Or three.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Maybe if there was some way to jump ahead to the year 1500? It's really really dull before the Europeans show up.
Sorry, I meant giving it to a custom AI nation or two and staying in the old world myself. When controlled by the AI even siberian frontier making GBS threads all over the entire South America for free before the europeans show up a high american nation is still utterly pathetic and incapable of doing anything except losing wars against smaller and whiter nations over and over until they have nothing left. Do they even properly seed institutions? Would giving them national idea bonuses for cheaper development and faster institution spread help at all?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They do not develop to get an institution as far as I know. If they do its purely incidental to them developing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So going from Scotland to Great Britain resets your missions, transforming them into England's missions. I don't know whether I like that or not.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Poil posted:

Neither of those seem very fun. Either drowning in monarch points or playing some weird streamer challenge. Maybe I'll just go with a regular ruler then.

American customs (and colonials, really) suck because of the state limit, so nope. :v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

People seem real mad about mana in the new rome game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

American customs (and colonials, really) suck because of the state limit, so nope. :v:
Ah yes of course. The game helpfully shows you the blue flag and, hovering your cursor over it, a list of what states you have available in order of development* and at the top is a mighty 4/4 with 12 development. :)

*This is really great, but can you actually search for states anywhere? I can guess where Yorkshire is but some a name where I can't even tell on what continent it is from takes a while to find.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, just punch it in the “Find Province” window (default keyboard shortcut is F)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Does an immortal ruler stay immortal as a general?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nimby posted:

Does an immortal ruler stay immortal as a general?

Pretty sure they can die in battle, not sure about the general death clock

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, just punch it in the “Find Province” window (default keyboard shortcut is F)
That works? Cool, thank you.

Obvious in retrospect. :doh:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure they can die in battle, not sure about the general death clock

They can die to random accidents while training etc, which is a very very very small chance per day, but it adds up a lot over the years so your ruler is almost guaranteed to die sooner or later if you make them a general at all. There was a post about this earlier in the thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For shits and giggles I decided to do a new world siberian frontiers ideas guy run and learned a few things in that eight hour experience. Most importantly: always pick a new world religion or else you won't get a tech boost when reforming. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, at least? I played as a muslim in south america starting in Choco and didn't get jack when I reformed. Aren't you supposed to get a bunch of free techs and institutions? Maybe that's tied to the special cultural/religious reform mechanics that I didn't have access to since I'm muslim?

Another lesson learned: Make sure you remember to toggle your culture to an Andean culture (assuming you're starting as an empire) so you automatically accept all Incan land. If you start in Choco (a pretty decent starting spot geographically) you're a caribbean culture by default, which has only like 3 OPM migrant tribes instead of all the incan kingdoms.

Also it was fun wiping out all of the incans by like 1490 but boy, do you sure get a lot of rebels doing that. This isn't really a thing worth avoiding since it's good to conquer them early. I just wish I had the new rebel suppressing mechanic.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 28, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want to play EUIV, but it seems pointless with a big expansion coming 'soon'.

This always happens to me.

Maybe I should play a state which won't interact with India at all, so I don't feel cheated. :lol:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There's pretty much always another expansion in the works. Just play the game and have fun

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe I should play a state which won't interact with India at all, so I don't feel cheated. :lol:

As someone who loves playing in India but hasn't done so for like a year because other parts of the map keep getting fleshed out first (and MoH making Ming into an obnoxious guardian) Dharma feels like the biggest EU4 patch ever. After playing the hell out of everything CoC related I've been passing the time playing Christian states which I typically rarely go for.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

timurids into mughals is going to be insanely good and i'm excited. also excited to try some republic stuff with the new goverment mechanics

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

oddium posted:

timurids into mughals is going to be insanely good and i'm excited. also excited to try some republic stuff with the new goverment mechanics

Timurids is already probably the most broken start in the game after the first 10 years and they're getting even more cool poo poo, it's kind of crazy

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What do I get as a republic in exchange for not getting all the estate interactions? It's really annoying me that I can't grab the free generals / admirals. I guess I can pump up my monarch by reelecting him multiple times and running my republican tradition ragged but that poo poo takes forever to grow back and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

What do I get as a republic in exchange for not getting all the estate interactions? It's really annoying me that I can't grab the free generals / admirals. I guess I can pump up my monarch by reelecting him multiple times and running my republican tradition ragged but that poo poo takes forever to grow back and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Regularly pumping up your rulers through reelections is the main reason to play republics. That's the only reason they're good. Here's a video that highlights the potential power of a republic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0LGjMp5xQ

The thing that has changed in the 16 months since this video was Absolutism, the new reason why republics lag behind monarchies. Republics have very low max absolutism, making conquest and coring a lot more expensive late game, which effectively nullifies the monarch point advantage republics have.

edit: The most relevant part of the video (assuming a 4 year election cycle):

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 26, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The ability to pick what your ruler is good in is also a pretty big plus. Particularly when trying to fill out idea groups.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Regularly pumping up your rulers through reelections is the main reason to play republics. That's the only reason they're good. Here's a video that highlights the potential power of a republic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0LGjMp5xQ

The thing that has changed in the 16 months since this video was Absolutism, the new reason why republics lag behind monarchies. Republics have very low max absolutism, making conquest and coring a lot more expensive late game, which effectively nullifies the monarch point advantage republics have.

edit: The most relevant part of the video (assuming a 4 year election cycle):

poo poo I hadn't quite put that together yet. That's really neato. Thanks!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Start as Milan, form the Ambrosian Republic, form Italy, elect a guy curiously named Gaius Julius around 1600, switch to Monarchy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The government overhaul coming in the next update will change things. They aren't saying what the default numbers are for republics but there's max absolutism in their government reforms, in addition to +0.2 RT which is pretty nice. This might make them more competitive with monarchies. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-of-april-2018.1087992/

edit: Not to mention the ridiculously powerful-sounding final reform, but that's probably an 18th century thing so it's not very relevant for most of the game.

edit 2: Also I'm not sure we ever found out what those hidden values are. They haven't revealed any systems that those could tie into, have they?

I'm theorycrafting about republics in the new update now instead of working like I'm supposed to, whoops. About republicanism vs nepotism, 0.2 RT a year is only worth 6.67 mil power a year, while the random stat will be worth 12 power a year for 4 election cycles if it lands on one of the 1s, or for 2 if it lands on the 4. It might be better to do nepotism if you have long election cycles? If they show you the bonus point beforehand when looking at candidates, you can avoid one with a bonus point in their strong stat, and with a 5 year election cycle (because you want +1 year for +10 absolutism) that sounds probably stronger than 0.2 RT.

Now watch all these numbers be different in the shipped version.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 26, 2018

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The government overhaul coming in the next update will change things. They aren't saying what the default numbers are for republics but there's max absolutism in their government reforms, in addition to +0.2 RT which is pretty nice. This might make them more competitive with monarchies. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-of-april-2018.1087992/

edit: Not to mention the ridiculously powerful-sounding final reform, but that's probably an 18th century thing so it's not very relevant for most of the game.

edit 2: Also I'm not sure we ever found out what those hidden values are. They haven't revealed any systems that those could tie into, have they?

I'm theorycrafting about republics in the new update now instead of working like I'm supposed to, whoops. About republicanism vs nepotism, 0.2 RT a year is only worth 6.67 mil power a year, while the random stat will be worth 12 power a year for 4 election cycles if it lands on one of the 1s, or for 2 if it lands on the 4. It might be better to do nepotism if you have long election cycles? If they show you the bonus point beforehand when looking at candidates, you can avoid one with a bonus point in their strong stat, and with a 5 year election cycle (because you want +1 year for +10 absolutism) that sounds probably stronger than 0.2 RT.

Now watch all these numbers be different in the shipped version.

Don't think it's been confirmed, but pretty sure the [hidden] were free policies under the revamped system (see June 05 Dev Diary)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

sloshmonger posted:

Don't think it's been confirmed, but pretty sure the [hidden] were free policies under the revamped system (see June 05 Dev Diary)

Either free policies or increased policy cap which are both modifiers confirmed to exist under the new system.

The existence of free policies is interesting as it changes the balance between idea sets, previously it wasn't all that important other than for getting incredibly high quality armies but some of the admin and dip bonuses are quite strong and having one of each active permanently at no cost could potentially make some idea sets far more attractive.

The one that stood out most to me on the dev diary list (obviously subject to change) is the plutocratic-diplomatic policy giving reduced reelection cost. This calculates out to some rediculous amount of MP generation and makes that particular idea set combination very attractive.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 27, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Either free policies or increased policy cap which are both modifiers confirmed to exist under the new system.

The existence of free policies is interesting as it changes the balance between idea sets, previously it wasn't all that important other than for getting incredibly high quality armies but some of the admin and dip bonuses are quite strong and having one of each active permanently at no cost could potentially make some idea sets far more attractive.

The one that stood out most to me on the dev diary list (obviously subject to change) is the plutocratic-diplomatic policy giving reduced reelection cost. This calculates out to some rediculous amount of MP generation and makes that particular idea set combination very attractive.

Also, that policy allows female generals and admirals? gently caress yeah.

-25% cost in reelection is basically equivalent to 0.625 RT a year, assuming constant reelections. That's equivalent to 20.83 mil power a year. Keep in mind that the deficit that strengthening government has to make up is 0.47 to 0.27, according to Reman. With that reduction, the proper setup, and just a little bit of luck, you may never have to strengthen government. This makes nepotism even more worth it, since excess RT isn't very useful.

Taking Plutocratic as your first military idea instead of Defensive or Quantity is a bit sketchy but Plutocratic does have +10% morale as its second idea which is only slightly worse than Army Drill. And it gets manpower recovery too, so it's really not that bad. I dunno, maybe a plutocratic and diplomatic opener is actually viable for a republic.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

RabidWeasel posted:

As someone who loves playing in India but hasn't done so for like a year because other parts of the map keep getting fleshed out first (and MoH making Ming into an obnoxious guardian) Dharma feels like the biggest EU4 patch ever. After playing the hell out of everything CoC related I've been passing the time playing Christian states which I typically rarely go for.

I was super critical of how stable recent changes have made ming. There is almost no chance the AI actually fucks up and ming dies on their own anymore. But now every time I've played in india I end up surrounded by smaller, poorer states I can squash and it turns out Ming becomes the mid game challenger to a united india nation. Unfortunately I have played mughals like 6 times now so.. I guess I will do it again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've seen Ming collapse a few times. Also with the next patch, apparently their tributary sphere will be even smaller. They don't reach beyond immediate neighbors and the southeast asian nations who start as tributaries. The extra impassable terrain they're adding further impedes them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I personally don't mind a strong ming, they make a good enemy later in the game. Or early on if you game them

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah Ming being big and scary is fine, I just hated when they would tributary every minor state in northeast India and gradually work up to getting all of the major powers as tributaries as well. From the recent dev MP game this appears to no longer be a problem due to map / setup / AI decisionmaking changes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It'd be cool to see Ming break up and have like two rando successor states rise to power.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fintilgin posted:

Should try my problem where I have to play with friends but I have access to the latest stuff already....

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Easily solved by giving us access to the lastest stuff for an MP game. It totally wouldn't be my first non-coop MP game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Should try my problem where I have to play with friends but I have access to the latest stuff already....
I accept your terms.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah Ming being big and scary is fine, I just hated when they would tributary every minor state in northeast India and gradually work up to getting all of the major powers as tributaries as well. From the recent dev MP game this appears to no longer be a problem due to map / setup / AI decisionmaking changes.
This was my big problem too. I dont have a problem with a big bad enemy, but the way they behaved with Tributary-ing everyone in Asia was a bit much and very a-historical.

I heard about the map changes but did not hear about the behavior changes - I thought I kept up with all of the Dev Diaries but maybe not, do you know where you heard that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Ok.