Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm okay on the couple maps I know well and I suck on the maps I don't know well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RBX posted:

A good COD player can shut a room down just as hard as a good quake player. I'd love for dedicated servers to become the norm again.

If you're going 0-50 in any game I don't think any amount of hand holding will help unless you get better.

I went 0-50 againt some (I'm guessing) CPMA veteran when I had played Reflex, the first quake like game I had spent any real time with, for like 5 hours. I did not learn anything or improve at all by playing that duel, besides "I suck and this isn't fun." I didn't say anything to the guy except "gg" 6 minutes in but I assume he didn't have much fun either. That's why willy nilly throwing newbies in with old heads sucks. It's an inevitability with a community as small as Reflex's but I think QC has the opportunity to not do that.
When I still got dominated but against players a bit closer to my skill level I started to have more fun and improve a bit but these days I don't even feel like running that gauntlet honestly, I'm happy just breaking even in lowskill TDM or w/e.
IDK maybe this is less applicable to QC since it has enough of a pop to sustain regular TDM and FFA matches but 4v4 is still pretty small.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

DisDisDis posted:

I went 0-50 againt some (I'm guessing) CPMA veteran when I had played Reflex, the first quake like game I had spent any real time with, for like 5 hours. I did not learn anything or improve at all by playing that duel, besides "I suck and this isn't fun." I didn't say anything to the guy except "gg" 6 minutes in but I assume he didn't have much fun either. That's why willy nilly throwing newbies in with old heads sucks. It's an inevitability with a community as small as Reflex's but I think QC has the opportunity to not do that.

This is also why I always prefer to just spectate in Quake Live rather than play.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When I did have the "have to get owned to get gud" attitude that was fun some of the time but now I just want to be a filthy casual, and unranked mmr makes that easy. I do get the appeal of the wild west approach but I think that need is better served by bringing back servers, which I think are good for the health of a game like this in other ways too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well having said all that if enough people played Reflex to get 5+ player FFA games going regularly with 80-100 ping I'd probably happily go back and get my rear end beat again

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I’ll play reflex with anyone

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I like this game. The game part of this game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got owned twice today in a row by pressing q to trigger my ability

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Confirming this is a great quake.

This is also the most accessible quake. As an example, I convinced my girlfriend to give it a shot. She had never touched a single quake game in her life. I of course waxed on like a dick about rocket launcher play, strafe jumping, map control ect.. for like 40 minutes. She spent her 200k coins on backpacks and then we got into her first real match and...

she loving carried my rear end using the lightning gun exclusively while screaming "SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT STRAFE JUMPING". She end up with like 30 kills and 10 assists. I can't talk about quake anymore in our house.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yeah as it turns out, the lightning gun is a good weapon for anyone.

You oughta tell her about the super machine gun and super nailgun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Quake. It's good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My personal playstyle is to only jump at all when I'm traversing. When I'm fighting people I've found that jumping only ever throws off my own aim instead of the aim of the rocket launcher gods I am frequently throwing rocks at.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so how do you like, find the railgun?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

lets burn posted:

Which map?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lets burn posted:

its green

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unranked mmr is evil. Say no to unranked mmr.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Only if, in return, I can have ranked FFA.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Man the solo ranked mode where you have to pick 3 champions is bad and dumb. Only thing about this I don't like.

Guess I'll stick to FFA unranked and ranked 2v2 then

nobody likes the duel format fwiw

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Just played an instagib match where the end of round said I got 2nd place but the final scoreboard says I was the first to 50 :pwn:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sockpuppetclock posted:

Just played an instagib match where the end of round said I got 2nd place but the final scoreboard says I was the first to 50 :pwn:

That's amazing.

Something something beta something early access.

Also, instagib is the loving poo poo. There should be a way to queue for just instagib. A whole hopper of just instagib. Don't make me vote on this poo poo.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

sockpuppetclock posted:

I had the same thing happen today.

This game is kinda fun but the amount of downtime between matches kills it dead for me. And why the gently caress do I have to click through 5 pages of meaningless bullshit after every round, but I have to go out of my way to find the actual loving scoreboard.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

sockpuppetclock posted:

Luckily, I've never run into this problem on account of I am bad.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

This game is kinda fun but the amount of downtime between matches kills it dead for me. And why the gently caress do I have to click through 5 pages of meaningless bullshit after every round, but I have to go out of my way to find the actual loving scoreboard.
The most incomprehensible part is the literal loving countdown before you can matchmake again. What the gently caress is the point of that?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Gave it a shot and then immediately threw $20 at it. Scratches an itch I've had for awhile. Just a senseless arena shooter where you can just bounce around like morons. I remember playing Quake and Quake 2 back in the day and Quake 3 was my poo poo. UT was also amazing.

I'm really enjoying Galena. Dropping totems in doorways and teleporters and then getting random kills is great.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love telefragging dudes so I just play Ranger.

Almost saved up 25k points though so trying to decide between unlocking doomguy or BJ

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

sockpuppetclock posted:

The most incomprehensible part is the literal loving countdown before you can matchmake again. What the gently caress is the point of that?

I would imagine they'll shorten the times of this considering their patch record to date. I THINK you just go straight into a vote after a solo / team match then play again at least. You would always get thrown back to the main menu no matter what.

I'd like to play the training stage against bot with some of these other characters, the movement options and what have you are really different when you only play Ranger.

Here's the batch file again to force QC to high priority if it's still needed.

code:

start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Bought the early access pack for the champs and I got 3 of those boxes.

Got the Doom 2 shotty boom.

And in the next box, another loving shotty boom.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you didn't watch the community stream on twitch this week, you missed the Stroggway To Heaven (proclick)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There's a good number of cosmetics but you probably don't care about most of them, so there's only so many items to get.

The more you get then, the less incentive there is to grind more boxes or pay money.

Im actually making myself not spend anything on this game so I have more things to unlock by actually playing the game.

Also I think its dumb you can buy only a few things directly and everything else you just gotta gamble on lootboxes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just jumped into this after getting it on the free week and uh, is there a way for me to browse servers? The interface confuses me.

I will also settle for fighting Bots so I can learn maps. The game booted me to a couple of what I think were bot matches, but now I am in the 6 minutes lobby and counting.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Artelier posted:

Just jumped into this after getting it on the free week and uh, is there a way for me to browse servers? The interface confuses me.

I will also settle for fighting Bots so I can learn maps. The game booted me to a couple of what I think were bot matches, but now I am in the 6 minutes lobby and counting.

I've read this a few times and I'm not sure why some people are getting long queue times. On some other forum, someone also in western europe said they had >10 minute queue times in solo. I just queued up when I saw it and was put into a match in 15 seconds, they still had long times, no idea why.

https://my.mixtape.moe/fbvvjx.mp4

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 28, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Click the globe icon on the bottom of the menu and check your data-centers, they may have been reset by a patch or something. It's best to have more than one selected so there are more games to get matched into, if you can stomach higher pings in return.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I keep hearing about long queue times as well, and it certainly doesn’t reflect my experience. I think the longest I ever waited was about 1 minute. It could be that they’re playing unpopular modes like Duel, but if all you ever play is TDM (like me) then there aren’t any issues.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I'm east coast US, pretty much only play FFA and my queue times are usually about 1 min or so

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

west coast FFA only and i routinely wait 3 to 5 minutes for a match

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Kins posted:

Click the globe icon on the bottom of the menu and check your data-centers, they may have been reset by a patch or something. It's best to have more than one selected so there are more games to get matched into, if you can stomach higher pings in return.

Thanks, will try this!

I'm from Malaysia so I'm aiming for anything around South East Asia. My games have been 90 or so ping which is doable...until I saw everyone else was 15 or less.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm in Texas and I definitely get matched up with Russians. I wait between 1 and 2 minutes usually.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Maybe the Russians want to play with Texans.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I wish they'd bring back the Visor laugh. It was really iconic, but they changed the character's personality completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6de3nqBpFs&t=92s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

I wish they'd bring back the Visor laugh. It was really iconic, but they changed the character's personality completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6de3nqBpFs&t=92s

Pretty sure they are bringing emotes/taunts eventually (gotta come up with more stuff to cram in those lootboxes). I wouldn't be surprised if they brought that one in to be honest.