Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I went through the Costo process trying to get a Honda Grom about a year ago, the "costco price" was full MSRP + additional dealer markup. gently caress 'em.

A niche minibike is a bit different from a volume economy car, though, and I think I know which market segment they focus on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheWevel posted:

Most dealers don't honor the TrueCar price once you're in the dealership.

Just walk out?

Figure out how much you think the car is worth, figure out your own financing if you need it, then call all the local dealers to see if they'll sell for whatever your all in cost is. If they try to change the deal, politely point out what they're doing and then walk out if they won't go back.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

CornHolio posted:

Anybody calling the E31 8-series ugly or lame can eat a bag of dicks. I wish they'd just retooled up that exact metal, somehow mad it pass crash standards and called it a day.

I didn't, but it's undeniable that it is the rich man's Ford Probe (the Ford Probe was also cool, I'm partial to the 1st gen cars).

I also like the new 8, so sue me. I'd have big GT coupes over lousy SUV #463 or yet another idiotic F-250 luxury package.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

builds character posted:

Just walk out?

Figure out how much you think the car is worth, figure out your own financing if you need it, then call all the local dealers to see if they'll sell for whatever your all in cost is. If they try to change the deal, politely point out what they're doing and then walk out if they won't go back.

What is the point of it then? If dealerships aren't cooperating there's no need for the service at all.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is the point of it then? If dealerships aren't cooperating there's no need for the service at all.

Presumably most dealerships cooperate? I don't know, my point is just that people get screwed over in car dealerships because they're (at least some of the time) a complex mechanism for using obfuscation and frustration to take more money than you would otherwise give them. And the only way I know of to handle that kind of nonsense is to set your price, find someone who will agree to it and then walk if they don't.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

because occasionally they'll get someone that doesn't negotiate and then after they get done hi-5'ing themselves they'll wonder again why Americans hate the Car Buying Experience™

How does car buying work in Europe and the rest of the world? Do manufacturers actually sell directly to the buyers?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I've done TrueCar through USAA for my last three dealership car purchases, two new and one used, without hassle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

builds character posted:

Presumably most dealerships cooperate? I don't know,

Yeah idk either, someone probably has some sort of data on the percentage of dealers that honor it. But really there's no law that says they have to, so it's kind of the perfect situation for bait and switch. But I agree, I'd walk immediately.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I did not speak up in the Nissan thread but because it was brought up again, recently I had the car in the shop for a couple days and borrowed my dad's 2006 Nissan Titan.

Thing rules: 2-door regular cab, full size bed, 5.6l v8, power nothing, opening the passenger window as a driver is a decision.

25k otd — does a similar deal exist right now? I don't shop for trucks personally, though the contracter side of the family owns plenty of Tundras, those are expensive tho

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thechalkoutline posted:

I did not speak up in the Nissan thread but because it was brought up again, recently I had the car in the shop for a couple days and borrowed my dad's 2006 Nissan Titan.

Thing rules: 2-door regular cab, full size bed, 5.6l v8, power nothing, opening the passenger window as a driver is a decision.

25k otd — does a similar deal exist right now? I don't shop for trucks personally, though the contracter side of the family owns plenty of Tundras, those are expensive tho

I bought two Titans brand new, a 2008.5 SE and a 2011 Pro 4-X. Both were insanely discounted trucks, with the Pro 4-X being somewhere around 40% off ($32k-ish fully loaded crew cab, literaly every single option). I paid $18,500 for the SE, which was a crew cab but otherwise didn't have many added options.

I don't think we've seen similar deals on the newer Titans yet.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I still like how simple and old-school the Frontier is, even if $30k for a truck designed in the early 2000s is a very funny joke. They seem reasonably priced on the used market though.

e: true, I doubt most new Frontiers are selling for that much either

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 26, 2018

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

thechalkoutline posted:

Are you asking if a 25k NEW titan is a good deal? Or if it was a good deal in 2006?? Or...what?

Edit: because the best deal in pickups right now is 2018 Ram 1500s. You can get a V8 long bed for around 20k.

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 26, 2018

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

It's shocking how much money they leave on the table for RAM 1500s. Amazing trucks. I'm just personally biased towards GMC Sierras myself. I'd love to have a 2500 with the V8 Diesel.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Right now they’re just trying to clear the ‘18s off the lot to make room for the much-improved 19s. I just specced out a tradesman V8 long bed (WITH POWER WINDOWS!!!) for 22k. Cheap as balls.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nissan chat was mostly about their subpar cars, their trucks have always been good. I'd buy a Frontier/Titan over an overpriced Tacoma/Tundra.

I can't think of any unibody Nissans I'd buy over the Toyota equivalent however.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One time our uber driver picked us up in a titan and almost killed a pedestrian because he was half asleep.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

prom candy posted:

One time our uber driver picked us up in a titan and almost killed a pedestrian because he was half asleep.

Innovation that excites

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

prom candy posted:

He just was trying to show the autonomous vehicles that humans just as capable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Hellcat Challenger now has a "Redeye" package that increases the output to 797hp/707tq, which should address everybody's issue with the current Hellcat, it not having enough power.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

The Hellcat Challenger now has a "Redeye" package that increases the output to 797hp/707tq, which should address everybody's issue with the current Hellcat, it not having enough power.

This made me :lol:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Are they including a warranty with that much boost?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wonder how long this edition of the Hellcat was planned 'cause now you can go "Woah you have a Hellcat without Redeye? Scruuuuuubbbb"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ilkhan posted:

Are they including a warranty with that much boost?

It's automatic only so eh.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

All 20 S60 Polestars sold out in 39 minutes.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/29/volvo-s60-t8-polestar-engineered-sells-out/

Hope springs eternal

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao yellow seatbelts like its 1996 and we drive hondas

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They didn't actually sell them either, it's more of a lease type deal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

They didn't actually sell them either, it's more of a lease type deal.

For more per month than my medical school loans.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

:lol:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Powershift posted:

They did make the widebody so it could have tires that will sometimes put that power to the ground. The next gen moving to the Alfa platform was supposed to take care of the weight, but now they're saying the LX will just be heavily revised/updated. It's still crazy that a big company is mass producing a car that tops out over 200mph for less than 100k.

Did anyone else see the rumor that Hyundai is planning a FCA take over? They'd obviously want Ram and Jeep. That being said, I could see new LX sedans or Challenger sharing a platform with the Genesis G80/90.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tekne posted:

They did make the widebody so it could have tires that will sometimes put that power to the ground. The next gen moving to the Alfa platform was supposed to take care of the weight, but now they're saying the LX will just be heavily revised/updated. It's still crazy that a big company is mass producing a car that tops out over 200mph for less than 100k.

Did anyone else see the rumor that Hyundai is planning a FCA take over? They'd obviously want Ram and Jeep. That being said, I could see new LX sedans or Challenger sharing a platform with the Genesis G80/90.

I'll hold out for the hellcat genesis.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Powershift posted:

Both a sedan or coupe would be extremely cool.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want a hellcat Durango so I can take my kids to Valhalla with me.

Comedy hellcat Pacifica option, but a plug-in so I can still use HOV lanes.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Isnt there a jeep for that

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thechalkoutline posted:

Isnt there a jeep for that

I have too many kids for a GC.

Yeah... I know.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

thechalkoutline posted:

All 20 S60 Polestars sold out in 39 minutes.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/29/volvo-s60-t8-polestar-engineered-sells-out/

Hope springs eternal

Not only that, they're only being offered as a subscription service at $1100/mo. You can't actually BUY one.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So is the Redeye what happens after you don't wash your hands properly after driving a Scat Pack?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrChips posted:

So is the Redeye what happens after you don't wash your hands properly after driving a Scat Pack?

Would have thought it would be the stink eye

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goober Peas posted:

I don’t think you got the joke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Goober Peas posted:

That's what other drivers give you as you blast past them in your Hellcat.

Either that or a thumbs up, i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm waiting for hellcat64. more polygons