Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Play against people who are better than you.

I started playing legacy in a store with several people who have won SCG invitationals, several more who have won or made it to the finals of legacy champs (plus a few more top 8s,) and Rich Shay. I went from consistently 1/2ing at best to having a ~70% win rate in the format over a few months. This is the best advice. Ask them what you did wrong. Make notes of close decisions you make and ask what their play was, and more importantly why. You can learn a lot by asking someone what they would have done in a situation. Show them your sideboarding and ask if they think you missed bringing something in, or if you brought something in you shouldn't have.

The actual best way to get better is take Surgical Extraction out of your sideboard until you're good enough to know when to bring it in. This will give you several percentage points by itself when you don't bring it in against Bant Spirits or the midrange mirror or some place it has no business ever being in your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

InterrupterJones posted:

Forgive me if this was already posted, but...

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/10616

Thanks Arcades, the Strategist!

I'm pretty happy to live in Europe, where things like this doesn't happen as much.
Still plenty of Shield Sphere below 1€ on cardmarket.

Buyouts in the US are the dumbest things.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Buffis posted:

I'm pretty happy to live in Europe, where things like this doesn't happen as much.
Still plenty of Shield Sphere below 1€ on cardmarket.

Buyouts in the US are the dumbest things.

Commander and other casual formats are much less popular over there, aren't they?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

number one pta fan posted:

How do you actually get good at Magic?

Play a bunch of games in a competitive setting. FNM's at the spikey store in your area should suffice. Read "Who's the Beatdown?" by Mike Flores....and absolutely nothing else by him. Watch youtube/streams of other players Reid Duke and LSV being 2 of my favorites.....don't watch anything by Saffron Olive if "getting good" is your goal..he's fine as entertainment though. Read a lot of articles about magic.

After every game ask yourself, "What were the mistakes I made this game?" If you cannot think of any....you are wrong.

Find the best player you can and play against them and ask them to tell you how to improve.

Keep abreast of the current metagame and what are the important cards in the format you are playing. Learn how to identify the likely decks you're playing against by the first land your opponent plays.

Netdeck like crazy, only altering the sideboard and a few mainboard flex spots as you improve. Play the best deck, and not the deck that beats the best deck.

There's more....but that should take you far enough to be a decently mediocre grinder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Related to "how do I get better", how many different decks do you all rotate between in a given format? I have serious deck OCD especially in Modern, and since I'm getting out to play maybe once a month I'm spreading my playtime too thin and being mediocre with several different decks when I could be good with one or two. At the same time, some of what you learn when playing one deck can carry over to other decks or is just good experience in general.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

suicidesteve posted:

Commander and other casual formats are much less popular over there, aren't they?

I don't think so?. Always a ton of people playing commander at my LGS.
"Mtgfinance" is probably less popular though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

It's funny because even if they straight-up printed a vanilla 6/6 for 0 it would still be bad in commander, and this is multiple orders of magnitude worse than that.

I mean I get that Arcades is cool and all but who is actually winning games with a deck full of french vanilla beaters in EDH in 2018?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

The Shortest Path posted:

It's funny because even if they straight-up printed a vanilla 6/6 for 0 it would still be bad in commander, and this is multiple orders of magnitude worse than that.

I mean I get that Arcades is cool and all but who is actually winning games with a deck full of french vanilla beaters in EDH in 2018?

Well, it's a 0 mana 6/6 cantrip, which is good. Without the card draw from Arcades, you would probably be right.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 25, 2018

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I agree, and I'm sure it's more for the novelty of "wall tribal" than anything. Although all these walls in Bant colors attacking for lethal after dropping a Tetsuko seems pretty fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

I started playing legacy in a store with several people who have won SCG invitationals, several more who have won or made it to the finals of legacy champs (plus a few more top 8s,) and Rich Shay. I went from consistently 1/2ing at best to having a ~70% win rate in the format over a few months. This is the best advice. Ask them what you did wrong. Make notes of close decisions you make and ask what their play was, and more importantly why. You can learn a lot by asking someone what they would have done in a situation. Show them your sideboarding and ask if they think you missed bringing something in, or if you brought something in you shouldn't have.

The actual best way to get better is take Surgical Extraction out of your sideboard until you're good enough to know when to bring it in. This will give you several percentage points by itself when you don't bring it in against Bant Spirits or the midrange mirror or some place it has no business ever being in your deck.

Also don't just bring it in against a deck just because you see Snapcaster.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Who says it’s for EDH?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheKingofSprings posted:

Who says it’s for EDH?

Finally something to dethrone pirate tribal in legacy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InterrupterJones posted:

Trying Arcades in 1v1, walls are distressingly good at alpha strikes.

Main issue is that without Arcades I am not doing much.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ravnica generally has a defender subtheme, maybe arcades will be good in brawl

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Star Man posted:

Play against people who are better than you.

This really sums it up. Lose a lot, and if you can't identify the reasons why you lost, ask the person who just beat you. Magic is a game of micro-decisions and it's hard at first to really consciously make note of all the ones you could have made differently, but they add up to critical percentages.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sit on my Facebook posted:

This really sums it up. Lose a lot, and if you can't identify the reasons why you lost, ask the person who just beat you. Magic is a game of micro-decisions and it's hard at first to really consciously make note of all the ones you could have made differently, but they add up to critical percentages.

"Well for one thing, you had a distressing number of Yu-Gi-Oh cards sleeved up in your 40 cards"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

ravnica generally has a defender subtheme, maybe arcades will be good in brawl

Reprint Wall of Denial, Wall of Shards, Wall of Junk, and rear end Formation.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what if i keep winning

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what if i keep winning

In that case you should quit your day job and become a professional magic player. Women dig it and the money is huge I hear.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Finally something to dethrone pirate tribal in legacy.

That and maybe that one Cantripping wall Sliver isn’t terrible anymore??

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The other things that are beneficial to getting good at Magic are having good fundamentals and doing your homework.

Learn how to use the stack and really drum in when triggers activate. Try to be mindful of the things your opponent could do that blows you out of the game and do your best to dodge them or bait them out.

Research the formats that you're playing in. Learn what's powerful in draft and when it's safe to commit to a deck and when you need to bail out for something else (This is harder to do with a playgroup that's casual because they'll make all kinds of wild decisions and it's harder to read signals). Try to get an idea of what different decks in constructed formats look like and do. You won't be able to handle everything and sometimes a jank rear end brew will get under you, but knowing what's out there and keeping up with the format goes a long way.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reprint Wall of Denial, Wall of Shards, Wall of Junk, and rear end Formation.

Wall of Denial nonbo with Assault Formation

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My favorite wall is still Wall of Hope for how good it was for me against red decks as a kid.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The last time I played Modern, I got surgicaled postboard.

I was playing Burn.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Star Man posted:

Learn how to use the stack and really drum in when triggers activate.

Star Man is Good Advice Man today, because this this this a thousand times. Learn the stack and how priority works. Go read that section of the comprehensive rules right now. Then read it again. It's not intuitive but it is critically important. If you know when you can cast spells it becomes so much easier to figure out when you should cast spells.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elyv posted:

I was playing Burn.

This being somewhat pointless for your opponent to do, because all your spells just read R: Deal 3?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

suicidesteve posted:

Surgical Extraction is a great skill-tester, in the sense that it's super tempting to bring in against a lot of matchups just to try and "get" your opponent. Knowing when to bring in SE and when not to requires knowing your deck, your opponent's deck, how they plan to stop you, how you plan to stop them, and to know in advance what card you're "looking for".

The same applies to Cabal Therapy in Legacy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

I was playing Burn.

I've had an opponent Thoughtseize my Boros Charm, then surgical them paying life, and later inquisition my Lightning Helix, snapcaster and surgical them away.

Maybe that card makes people do some really stupid things?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Devor posted:

This being somewhat pointless for your opponent to do, because all your spells just read R: Deal 3?

yeah a bunch of redundant spells is a recipe for a worthless surgical

even more worthless if it costs you two life against burn, its actively detrimental

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man is Good Advice Man today

dawww, that beats out, "Yeah, you're fuckable," that some drunk girl said to me once at a bar as the nicest thing that anyone's ever said to me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i had an opp surgical me naming rabblemaster when i dont even run that card

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've never understood running Surgical unless you are a discard-heavy deck or are on Mill. Like what are you trying to hit when boarding in Surgical as GW Company :psyduck: It's great when you can really nail someone with Surgical but you kind of need a way to get the choice card into your opponent's graveyard that doesn't involve them actually resolving it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I don't understand how they could because the card has to be in the graveyard in the first place.

C-Euro posted:

I've never understood running Surgical unless you are a discard-heavy deck or are on Mill. Like what are you trying to hit when boarding in Surgical as GW Company :psyduck: It's great when you can really nail someone with Surgical but you kind of need a way to get the choice card into your opponent's graveyard that doesn't involve them actually resolving it.

Combo pieces and cards that recur from the graveyard.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I guess we amend Steve’s post to “take Surgical Extraction out of your sideboard until you're good enough to know when to bring it in and know how the card fundamentally works”

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Surgical Extraction is a great skill-tester, in the sense that it's super tempting to bring in against a lot of matchups just to try and "get" your opponent. Knowing when to bring in SE and when not to requires knowing your deck, your opponent's deck, how they plan to stop you, how you plan to stop them, and to know in advance what card you're "looking for".

The same applies to Cabal Therapy in Legacy.

Counterpoint: Surgical is extremely easy to play. Bring it in if you can realistically snipe the card that they need to win the game. Is your opponent playing Scapeshift and you can't kill a land or discard a Scapeshift? Don't bring it in. Do you hate the card Spell Queller? Don't bring it in. I don't even like it against legacy dredge, which seems like the most obvious place you'd ever want it. Like it's fine against their bad draws where they're really relying on one dredger but if they have 2 different dredgers what is it even doing? It's a dead card that could be helping kill them instead.

The only skill anyone has with Cabal Therapy anymore is always having it + Probe on turn 1 to skillfully win the game.

Dehtraen posted:

I guess we amend Steve’s post to “take Surgical Extraction out of your sideboard until you're good enough to know when to bring it in and know how the card fundamentally works”

I was going to say something about not knowing what your cards do being bad but I played a pauper 2-man at the GP and I didn't know what cards were in my deck and every other draw step was a surprise. Apparently I had a main deck Obsidian Acolyte for some reason??? Other highlights I didn't know were coming: Wall of Hope, TWO Grim Harvests, Kabira Crossroads, Arashin Cleric. What I'm saying is it's not a good deck.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 25, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

a ghost-quartered valakut or tron land, a conflagrate

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's been five years since the PTQ I played UR Faeries in and I was sweating bullets over Eggs more than any other deck. To this day, I still don't know what I would have tried to get with Surgical Extraction or what number to set Chalice of the Void on against it and I never went against the deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

little munchkin posted:

a ghost-quartered valakut or tron land, a conflagrate

Counter a second sun so it goes to graveyard then surgical extraction it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what if i keep winning

become a hearthstone streamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

why is Valakut spiking on MKM?