Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Yes, they are literally material objects bound by the laws of reality. But overheating and dying through totally standard use isn't what's expected for a consumer product.

No good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I'm playing the witcher 3 now and just not really enjoying it. I remember liking the second one when it came out, but this one just feels kinda clunky. The movement, combat, menus, all of it.

Maybe the story gets super good at some point, but I'm at the part now where you are with the mage chick in the cave looking for Ciri and it hasn't grabbed me so far.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I'm playing the witcher 3 now and just not really enjoying it. I remember liking the second one when it came out, but this one just feels kinda clunky. The movement, combat, menus, all of it.

Maybe the story gets super good at some point, but I'm at the part now where you are with the mage chick in the cave looking for Ciri and it hasn't grabbed me so far.

I couldn't get into the witcher 3. I liked the exploration part, but hated getting into any combat situation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The game is extremely clunky; it's popular because of the cutscenes. The Bloody Baron quest, which it sounds like you're about to hit, is the highlight of the game by far

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I had to give up on Prey. The game is so slow and boring. I'm like 12 hours in and I think I've seen like four or five different enemies? And for 90% of them, combat is the same thing: stun with gloo gun, whack with wrench. Most of the game is spent sneaking around opening desk drawers and fishing out junk. The environments are kinda samey too, and the zero-g parts are suuuuuuper slow.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

quake champions is cool as gently caress tho

I mean, the actual game part of QC is cool. Everything else is a huge pain in the rear end.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Witcher 3 was good but didn't grab me personally tbh

I played up to the part where you fight a witch or whatever in a swamp or something then I ended up at a big city afterwards... at which point I realized I had put a ton of hours into the game but still wasn't invested. So I just quit. It just wasn't that fun

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got kingdom come: deliverance. It gives a whole new meaning to the word buggy. It makes Bethesda games look like blizzard games. Still cool as gently caress, though. I hope they make another one

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

quake champions is cool as gently caress tho

I mean, the actual game part of QC is cool. Everything else is a huge pain in the rear end.

It is. They did a good job of resurrecting that old school fast paced Quake 3 feel. Brings me back to the days of insta gib freeze tag servers in the early 00s. Man i played a lot of that stuff.

The loving loot boxes and levels and customization poo poo is cumbersome and worthless though.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

oh dope posted:

It is. They did a good job of resurrecting that old school fast paced Quake 3 feel. Brings me back to the days of insta gib freeze tag servers in the early 00s. Man i played a lot of that stuff.

The loving loot boxes and levels and customization poo poo is cumbersome and worthless though.

yeah! and that new playlist thing they put in where people can randomly change the gametype. Also that there is a ton of downtime between matches while the game looks for a new match.

I really hope they implement something like a server browser so I can hop on a server I like and stay, rather than having to re-queue for a game every 10 minutes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Blazing Ownager posted:

So is it popular or unpopular to say Saint's Row 4 is the best Saint's Row?

It's seriously in my top 5 comedy games ever, a lot of really great satire below the surface jokes.

... also it lets you team up Santa Clause with Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Ninja and a developer's dad to roll with you.

ED: Follow up, is it the best Matrix game ever made?

I love comedy but comedy in games has never amused me

Like I’ve been a South Park casual fan since the 90’s and the games didn’t do better than a few chuckles. Never been on the floor laughing like with some movies or standup specials.

It might be that (for me) it’s hard to separate the “I’m controlling this” with paying attention to the comedy.

Same with saints row

Unpopular opinion?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I like fallout 4.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

you sick son of a bitch

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

vandalism posted:

I like fallout 4.

Wow

Just wow

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Arcade game and movies are trash these days, and if anything is even more trash it's games based on movies.

No arcade game and no game based on a movie will ever be topped than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQj8tH5sg84

On a side note I just realized how much the new Jurassic World is a rip off of this game

MageMage fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 25, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

veni veni veni posted:

Ive got the collection and I've still never fired it up because everyone seems to say that it doesn't even try to be scary. Wanna sell me on it?

To be fair indie games being big on consoles was only a matter of time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

vandalism posted:

I like fallout 4.

vandalism posted:

I like fallout 4.

GTFO hitler

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

MageMage posted:

Arcade game and movies are trash these days, and if anything is even more trash it's games based on movies.

On a side note I just realized how much the new Jurassic World is a rip off of this game

The lego games are an exception it arguably proves the rule they hand waive the story by going "but lego lol"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MageMage posted:

Did they do a remake of this in the late 90's/early 2Ks? I remember the same game/cabinet but much more modern looking.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Did they do a remake of this in the late 90's/early 2Ks? I remember the same game/cabinet but much more modern looking.

That's the sequel, The Lost World: Jurassic Park. A game that was (and likely still is) literally in every arcade imaginable. I didn't even know that there was an original game.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I picked up Hat in Time from the steam sale because it has a ton of positive reviews. It's kind of weird and frustrating. Like there are parts of a really good and fun game, but the controls and camera are crappy. It has so many cool little touches, but I find myself getting frustrated and bored when I play it.

Reading about the development, I can understand why it's so quirky but I still don't really enjoy it. :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

vandalism posted:

I like fallout 4.

When I purposefully set aside the story, ignore settlements, and refuse to engage with NPCs about my big life story with None of your business responses, Fallout 4 manages to be an OK game but still lacks as a Fallout game. Making it play like a single player MMO was a huge mistake.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't use the term 'RPG' to describe fallout 4, it's an FPS with an upgrade system.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sermons of vivec are cocaine-fueled perfection

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Please don't use the term 'RPG' to describe fallout 4, it's an FPS with an upgrade system.

Everything with character progression is an RPG now. We just had a discussion about this a few pages ago.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Everything with character progression is an RPG now. We just had a discussion about this a few pages ago.

Ahh looks like I need to study my thread lore.

Good to know super mario odyssey is an RPG.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Ahh looks like I need to study my thread lore.

Good to know super mario odyssey is an RPG.

Changing clothes is like changing your class

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

So every game with characters in an RPG???

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

A game with characters that you create and develop is an RPG. A game where you play a specific character, even if you can develop them to your tastes, is not an RPG.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Boots up XCOM*

"GREETINGS COMMANDER"

Hmm, so I'm the commander? I didn't know this was an RPG. But here I am: playing a role, in a game!!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

"RPG" is a very meaningless term, just like "action" or even "shooter", as so many games incorporate elements from the genre.

It's not like 90s when genres were really specific, today most games take a little something from every genre.

Edit - And even this whole "choose your role thing" makes a game a RPG, well then is The Way of the Samurai series a RPG?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 25, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Boots up Star Wars: Battlefront 2*

*Upgrades star card for Darth Vader so he does more Force Choke damage*

Wow look at this character progression. Great RPG here!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The commander himself doesn't develop poo poo, so XCOM is not an RPG.

Fallout: character creation (name, gender, starting attributes) + development choices as exp is gained = RPG
Prey: Morgan Yu, regardless of gender selection, development choices as exp is gained = Not an RPG

You can also argue that RPGs gate character progression by things done and not plot points reached. I learn the Explosive Vomit skill in Fallout because I earned enough experience doing WHATEVER to purchase it. I get the helmet scanner thingie in Prey because I arrived at that point in the plotline.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

But then you'd be arguing about video games lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Life is Strange is a RPG since your choices affect the world so much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd love it if people were as dumb about music genre names as they are about video game genre names. You're okay with calling something a roguelike based on specific mechanics, but if something says role playing game the title is suddenly supposed to be a wide open description that applies to anything rather than a shorthand or even a general feeling about the game's experience. House music can really be anything you play in your house. Bluegrass is literally the sound of blue grass and there's nothing you can say otherwise. Gosh I love Kylie Minogue-likes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

A game with characters that you create and develop is an RPG. A game where you play a specific character, even if you can develop them to your tastes, is not an RPG.

The Witcher is not an RPG?

signalnoise posted:

I'd love it if people were as dumb about music genre names as they are about video game genre names. You're okay with calling something a roguelike based on specific mechanics, but if something says role playing game the title is suddenly supposed to be a wide open description that applies to anything rather than a shorthand or even a general feeling about the game's experience. House music can really be anything you play in your house. Bluegrass is literally the sound of blue grass and there's nothing you can say otherwise. Gosh I love Kylie Minogue-likes.

Seriously. Once upon a time it may have been useful to describe a game by the kind of genre it was, but nowadays it’s probably better to compare it other games since any genre can be executed in a multitude of ways.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If Fallout 4 isn't an RPG Witcher 3 certainly isn't

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

The Witcher is not an RPG?

It isn't. You are Geralt. You have to do what Geradt will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

If Fallout 4 isn't an RPG Witcher 3 certainly isn't

it isn't. you are gonna find shawn, then decide what to do.