Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

The 4 of us take about 4 hours per scenario, although the Helper app reduced that last session. We must just talk and strategize and try to collaborate more than most groups.

We also drink a lot and I frequently have to let my dogs out or pet them since they hate being ignored for so long. :)

People play games.... without drinking a lot???? Didn't even know that was optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ShaneB posted:

People play games.... without drinking a lot???? Didn't even know that was optional.

My group doesn't drink at all when we game.

We're able to get 3-4 scenarios done in about 8 hours with a dinner break in the middle.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ShaneB posted:

The drinking itself doesn't slow us down but I get up and get people refills and stuff since we host. I usually try to do it after my initiative step so as not to hold us up.

I really think it's the strat chat that slows us down the most but I like strat chat sooooo

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really think it's the strat chat that slows us down the most but I like strat chat sooooo

Yeah, I think that's 100% where our time goes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just got my box. Holy poo poo is this thing heavy. Expect me to show up and start asking stupid questions once I read the rules.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Our group is averaging 3 hours per scenario. Part of it is two of the players are bad at taking everything in and so need more time to make decisions.

Also, we’re still trying to figure out as a group that we can’t do an attrition based strategy now that we don’t have the Tinkerer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My group probably averages 2-2.5 hours per scenario, depending on the amount of eating and drinking we do and how late we end up playing. Most of our time is lost strategizing, with the last scenario of the night taking a while longer as we take longer to keep track of initiative and HP and such. It's a good balance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Mindthief enhancement question: now that I have Bless on the heal part of Empathetic Assault, what would be the next best enhancement? Right now here are my ideas:

+1 move on the bottom half of Empathetic Assault. I don't care that it's 105 gold. It makes perfect sense after the previous upgrade.

+1 damage on the top of Frigid Apparition. Either that or Wound

+Jump on a big move bottom card. Really expensive

+1 range on the bottom of Fearsome Blade. Seems good but I don't use it as much as a lot of people. We have a Spellweaver with Strengthen on the bottom of Mana Bomt so I feel like I don't need this often

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For context, mine retired around level 6, so I didn't get the money or the cards to do really high level / expensive stuff but I think the choices are solid regardless.

+1 move to Scurry (top). It's a solid improvement to one of the workhorse cards in the class and it has the bonus of being cheap. Hard to go wrong with it.

+1 range to Perverse Edge (bottom). Same as above (especially given you might combine the cards). Conditionless stuns are great, and increasing the range removes the only real downside of the ability. A status effect like Wound or Poison could also be justified, since enemies you stun are typically the most dangerous ones and Wound / Poison helps killing them in the long run.

+Bless on Empathic Assault (bottom). You'll use the bottom of this every cycle (possibly more often) and it's the easiest way to get Blesses in your deck. You could use Strengthen instead but you can get that elsewhere and it can have counter-intuitive interactions with your modifier deck.

You can also consider more element generation for the high level augments and disarm for some of the higher level or AoE attacks but those get expensive quickly.

Move on Empathic Assault makes sense. Wound on Frigid Apparition isn't bad either. Jump is great but you can just buy the boots or use one of the jump cards the class gets.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 26, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Completed Scenario 19 on the second attempt: The altar being an obstacle is pretty handy when one of the party is a Cragheart. We were able to somehow plan the final 2 turns so one of us ended on the chest while the other moved the alter next to Hail. The Living Bones chasing us from behind pulled a big move card to allow one of them to swing at Hail, who had 4 HP remaining, and peeled a +1, bringing her to a single HP on the very last action of the scenario. Really tense and challenging.

My new-found wealth allowed me to do my first enhancement with Strengthen on the 07 initiative bottom Heal 3. Excited to finally be nearly constantly on advantage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, are you a Spellweaver? And you put Strengthen on the bottom of Mana Bolt?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, are you a Spellweaver? And you put Strengthen on the bottom of Mana Bolt?

Yeah. It's a very common upgrade. Costs 50 and strengthens 2 attacks on a non-loss.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Huh. My Spellweaver put Charge Any Element on that and it was insane.

We didn't even think about Strengthen, because he had Goggles for when he needed Advantage.

Also, the rolling modifiers make Advantage less good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

We didn't even think about Strengthen, because he had Goggles for when he needed Advantage.

I have little to no interest in the rolling modifiers for her.

Goggles require long rest to recharge. With strengthen, combined with goggles for non-strengthened turns, you can be on advantage fairly constantly.

Ultimately the good thing about this game is there's no wrong way to do things.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ShaneB posted:

Goggles require long rest to recharge.
Welll...

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Gort posted:

Christ. That's next level.

well, we got projection screen :smug:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Man music note/saw/tinkerer/circles game #1 was hilarious. apart from the summoner our damage output is appalling, but our healing output is ridiculous, every monster has 3 conditions, the whole monster curse deck is in their pile, and the whole player bless deck's in ours. The summoner drew 4 blesses in one turn...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Move on Empathic Assault makes sense. Wound on Frigid Apparition isn't bad either. Jump is great but you can just buy the boots or use one of the jump cards the class gets.

Oops yeah I meant Perverse Edge :doh:

I think I'm just gonna save for the +1 move on Empathetic Assault. I can't see as much value on anything else even if they are all good ideas.

I like the Wound on Perverse Edge too. That's hilarious.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 26, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

RAW, you can't generate the element and use it in the same turn (if that's what you're doing), so I don't know if Charge Any Element makes sense there. And I use Goggles on my spellweaver but I save it for the AoE abilities to get maximum benefit across multiple targets in a turn, so Strengthen might be a good choice there.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Apologies if this has been mentioned recently; if it was, I missed it.

Is the Broken Token insert organizer considered to be the best one? I've looked at a few others (GloomBox, Meeply Realty Gloomhaven Town, and one other one I can't remember). The only one I'm pretty sure isn't worth it is the Meeple Realty. Is the Broken Token insert compatible with this new printing?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kaujot posted:

Is the Broken Token insert organizer considered to be the best one? I've looked at a few others (GloomBox, Meeply Realty Gloomhaven Town, and one other one I can't remember). The only one I'm pretty sure isn't worth it is the Meeple Realty. Is the Broken Token insert compatible with this new printing?

I have the go7 organizer and it's amazing. The labels on all the trays are super helpful.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

kaujot posted:

I just finished putting mine together. While I don't have any of the others to compare it to, I am impressed by how well organized it's made everything. The only issue I have with it is that the map tiles are all just stacked in a single tray, making the top messy and not very easy to use. I'll probably follow what some other people have said and get a small accordion folder for the map tiles and use the Broken Token organizer for the rest.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yeah, I just finished putting my tiles into an accordion folder. Some of the larger ones stick out over the top a little bit, but it still closes without putting undue pressure on the pieces (I think).

Thanks for the thoughts on organizers. Hate that I'm spending close to $200 on a single game, but it also seems like it's worth it, so.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

kaujot posted:

Yeah, I just finished putting my tiles into an accordion folder. Some of the larger ones stick out over the top a little bit, but it still closes without putting undue pressure on the pieces (I think).

Thanks for the thoughts on organizers. Hate that I'm spending close to $200 on a single game, but it also seems like it's worth it, so.

Alphabetically organized monster tuck boxes are worth any price

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Quoting myself on the broken token and "bunch of tiles" system on top:

I honestly can't imagine the game without my broken token. I also haven't done the accordion file thing. I like it all in one box. It's honestly straightforward to find the needed tiles every scenario, it adds maybe 2-3 minutes max over a session that lasts 4 hours. The key on the broken token tray is surprisingly helpful.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finding the map tiles isn't the problem that the accordion folder solves, it's the convenience of putting it away in a way that doesn't involves solving a spacial puzzle into the tray.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SettingSun posted:

Finding the map tiles isn't the problem that the accordion folder solves, it's the convenience of putting it away in a way that doesn't involves solving a spacial puzzle into the tray.

I just want it all in one drat box. And honestly you get really fast at the tile tray. My playing buddy seems to always be stuck as the tile guy and gets it all in there quickly.

But again, not trying to convince anyone of anything. It just works well for me. I can see the accordion being useful for sure.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair we divvy up responsibility in setting up and putting away the pieces. The map tiles are not mine (it's monster administration) so I can see the tray not being a big deal once you have a system going.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. Can Prosperity ever go down? I assume yes because the rulebook mentions that Prosperity level never decreases. I'd like to know before I ever mark a Prosperity track box with ink.

It's not an issue yet of course because we're a fresh bunch that's just completed Black Barrow. Man that ran us through a wringer on Normal difficulty, Scenario level therefore 1. Harsh lessons have been learned about judicious use of Lose ability cards. What's other good newbie advice? Huge apologies for probably being super repetitive here but I've avoided reading the whole thread for fear of spoilers (yeah I know you guys are super cautious, I'll relax, it's just right now it's all brand new).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks guys. Can Prosperity ever go down? I assume yes because the rulebook mentions that Prosperity level never decreases. I'd like to know before I ever mark a Prosperity track box with ink.

It's not an issue yet of course because we're a fresh bunch that's just completed Black Barrow. Man that ran us through a wringer on Normal difficulty, Scenario level therefore 1. Harsh lessons have been learned about judicious use of Lose ability cards. What's other good newbie advice? Huge apologies for probably being super repetitive here but I've avoided reading the whole thread for fear of spoilers (yeah I know you guys are super cautious, I'll relax, it's just right now it's all brand new).

We just started our 6th scenario and finally realized the round timer is only needed for a few scenarios. We were rushing to beat EVERY scenario in 12 rounds, on Normal. We had to go down to scenario level 0 to get a couple of them done that way. So, uh, don't do that, I guess.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Also I just remembered that we lost a checkmark in a city event last night.

That's loving tilting. Checkmarks feel like a measure of your success and progress as a character in an interesting and different way than sheer XP, and having them ripped away from you so easily is absurd.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahah OK advice taken. Also is it possible to purchase extra character sheet pads? I suspect as I iterate this game through various permutations of present friends and we all end up rolling multiple characters that I might need more than the provided five sheets per base class.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Hahah OK advice taken. Also is it possible to purchase extra character sheet pads? I suspect as I iterate this game through various permutations of present friends and we all end up rolling multiple characters that I might need more than the provided five sheets per base class.

Just print more.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right duh. Game owns so far. We're Level 1 in our first scenario and we all feel like we're throwing around personalized combos and fighting with flair. You don't get that in Descent.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Right duh. Game owns so far. We're Level 1 in our first scenario and we all feel like we're throwing around personalized combos and fighting with flair. You don't get that in Descent.

Oh yeah, the game makes Descent's combat system seem like some kind of sick joke.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ShaneB posted:

Also I just remembered that we lost a checkmark in a city event last night.

That's loving tilting. Checkmarks feel like a measure of your success and progress as a character in an interesting and different way than sheer XP, and having them ripped away from you so easily is absurd.

I don't mind it when it's lose a check and gain reputation or prosperity. That's investing in the future. Losing a check with nothing to show for it is aggravating.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I have another noob question.
My group decided to play as bad guys, so we're purposefully tanking our reputation, doing everything in road and city events that seems to be vaguely antiheroic.

I saw the circles class unlocks at -10, so just tell me: is it A BAD IDEA or is it A GOOD IDEA to go down to -20 ? Shop costs aside.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Char posted:

I have another noob question.
My group decided to play as bad guys, so we're purposefully tanking our reputation, doing everything in road and city events that seems to be vaguely antiheroic.

I saw the circles class unlocks at -10, so just tell me: is it A BAD IDEA or is it A GOOD IDEA to go down to -20 ? Shop costs aside.

Eclipse unlocks at -10, circles is the ubisoft logo one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Checkmarks don't feel all that precious to me (at prosperity level 7), but that points to a different problem in the system to me.

In any system where you're picking stuff from a list, you're going to pick the best stuff first. You'll have a list of perks like

* kill all enemies on the map
* never have to do laundry again
* pick nose and 50% chance to not get caught

and you'll grab the best ones right off the bat. By the time you're picking your tenth thing off a list of twelve things, you're picking the absolute dregs.

It would be better if the perks had tiers. Like when you get your first perk you can only get the bronze-tier perks with it, then your fifth perk can come from the bronze or silver-tier perks, then any after ten can come from the gold-tier perks - that way there's less of the "Well I have to pick a perk so I guess I'll take those pull 1 cards I've been avoiding" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It's much much harder to get negative reputation than positive. So if you want to unlock an extra class sooner, probably go for the sun instead.