Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I've played it in paper twice at pauper night and it's a ton of fun, but I lost every match in 3. My list was all in but instead of the discard ran bump in the night and tyrants choice.

It's a great way to play magic though, I'll post some lists I have saved when I get back up to my PC, maybe we can break something up to take to a few leagues. Or better yet, can we come up with something that will get hellsau's blessing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jabor posted:

I'm a little confused here. You start off asking why noone plays suicide black anymore, and then when people tell you why you get very defensive about it, as though the deck not being very good any more is somehow a personal attack on you?

:confused: No?

I gave some honest answers about hypothetical matchups, how the hell does that constitute getting defensive and taking statements as a personal attack?

Matsuri posted:

traditional hellsau answer: it dies to stonehorn tron

that said suicide black seems like a lot of fun for more casual pauper beatdowns

I had to look up that deck and holy poo poo that's kinda nasty :aaaaa:

And yeah, i'm a filthy casual these days (haven't played competitive MTG in close to 20 years), so i'm not trying to make some meta-defining masterpiece, just trying to maybe resurrect a relic from a bygone age~

Next up: i'll refer to RDW as Sligh and run CoP:R and CoP:B in every white sideboard

edit:

always be closing posted:

I've played it in paper twice at pauper night and it's a ton of fun, but I lost every match in 3. My list was all in but instead of the discard ran bump in the night and tyrants choice

:hfive:

Tyrant's Choice might actually make a better fit in my list than Diabolic Edict, actually.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 26, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Silhouette posted:

Tyrant's Choice might actually make a better fit in my list than Diabolic Edict, actually.

it's strictly worse in two respects (opponent can pay 4 life instead of sacrifice a creature; sorcery speed instead of instant speed)

edit: oh i see, you plan to force the choice of paying 4 life

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 26, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, the deck already has 4 instant-speed removal spells, so Choice is a win-win.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Silhouette posted:

Yeah, the deck already has 4 instant-speed removal spells, so Choice is a win-win.

Tyrant's Choice is straight up only a 4 damage for 2 mana spell in 1v1 games. It will never be a removal spell when you want it to be.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh, it's almost certainly just 4 damage to the dome, but that's perfectly fine. I'm looking at it in the same terms as something like Skullscorch: the removal is basically a secondary benefit against players not willing to trade off 20% of their starting life total. Either way, i'm coming out ahead on the deal.

Also, why the hell is Hymn to Tourach banned in paper pauper? I mean, I know why, but...whyyyyyyy?

I love Hymn :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

No, it's exactly certainly 4 damage to the dome.

Skullscorch is also Hymn if they care about 4 life, or 4 life if they care about Hymn, so basically if you play it turn 2 it'll probably be 4 damage and if you draw it on turn 6+ when they're handless it'll do literally nothing. Punisher cards like that are awful.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Also, why the hell is Hymn to Tourach banned in paper pauper? I mean, I know why, but...whyyyyyyy?

I love Hymn :(

Never printed at common online, so it's not Pauper legal.

And like Hellsau said, the punisher cards will always be the worse of the two options. If someone's at a low enough life total that they're letting themselves get hit by the Hymn half of Skullscorch and actually getting meaningful cards, they're also mana screwed to hell and you're winning anyway.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I think this might be the last iteration of this deck, unless the Immolating Souleaters turn out to be a bust. Gonna proxy this poo poo up this weekend and try it out, so maybe it'll be a fun deck after all's said and done?

Deck: Suicide Black
//Lands
16 Swamp

//Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Foul-Tongue Shriek
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Duress
2 Raven's Crime

//Creatures
2 Barrow Ghoul
4 Carnophage
4 Carrion Feeder
2 Gurmag Angler
2 Immolating Souleater
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Vampire Lacerator

//Sideboard
2 Bojuka Bog
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Dry Spell
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Gurmag Angler
4 Mental Misstep
1 Raven's Crime

Display deck statistics

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*looking at my deck with 16 lands* I am definitely going to want some 5 drops post-board

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
actual helpful feedback: you're trying to do so many things that it's diluting your aggro plan to the point of uselessness. If you draw carnophage and a bunch of discard/removal, that's great for me, i have 10 more turns to find an answer to the carnophage

if you want to go all-in, go all in. going halfway just gives you a lot of awkward hands where you can't apply pressure but also can't win in the late game because your top-decks are so bad. either build a deck that can consistently cast 2-3 creatures on turn one, or netdeck a mono black control list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Gary is not a good choice.

Mental Misstep is uncommon.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Matsuri posted:

Gary is not a good choice.

Mental Misstep is uncommon.

fffff

I forgot to check the 'common' tag in magiccards.info. Now I have to find something to take its place.

Gary was just a backup bomb in case the game goes on longer than it should, but I guess i'll replace it with something else. Suggestions on a late-game punch to the face that doesn't require combat damage?

god I wish it was 1999 and I still had every single card memorized

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There is no 'long game' in a suicide aggro deck. You go all in and win fast or die fast.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ok, adjusted a few things. I moved all of the Anglers to the sideboard, and I may just drop them completely. Added another Raven's Crime and Dry Spell to the SB, swapped in 2 main deck Blind Creepers for the Anglers. Shepherd of Rot replaces Gary and the Souleaters (which is now my new psychobilly band name).

Deck: Suicide Black

//Lands
16 Swamp

//Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Foul-Tongue Shriek
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Duress
2 Raven's Crime

//Creatures
2 Barrow Ghoul
2 Blind Creeper
4 Carnophage
4 Carrion Feeder
4 Night Market Lookout
2 Shepherd of Rot
4 Vampire Lacerator

//Sideboard
2 Bojuka Bog
2 Diabolic Edict
3 Dry Spell
3 Gurmag Angler
2 Immolating Souleater
2 Raven's Crime
1 Shepherd of Rot

Display deck statistics

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp I made it to 10 Challenges in a row before getting fed up and quitting. I managed to put lethal damage on my opponent while very low on time due to MTGO crashing and lagging upon restart, but apparently the game thoughts I ran out of time, so the match was a draw and both players lost.

Round 6 has the poo poo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Suicide Black is kinda bad since it needs some kind of nut draw to win and also dies to mulligans. Your great hands can be downright unfair, but you don't get them very often and you don't do anything impressive if you end up playing a normal curve.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Inspired by a Reddit thread titled, "what would be a controversial downshift?", I've got a hot take. If Necropotence was downshifted to common, I don't think it would be good in Pauper. I think it'd be a very good sideboard card for MBC against Tron, and maybe it'd give the mono-black LD deck some legs, but it wouldn't see very much maindeck play. There are too many ways to punish it severely.

Note that I also think Necro sucks in Vintage and leads to more losses for the player casting Necro than wins so maybe that's just coloring my perception, but there's a whole lot of brutally efficient threats nowadays and I think Necro is too slow.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Super late, but I agree. Necro was great in its heyday, but it's been outclassed by a ton of other life-for-card draw engines since then.

Also, my hot take: I think that the pain lands should be downshifted to common, since they're not great in Modern or Legacy any more, and Pauper doesn't really have legit good multicolored lands.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So I've been dicking around with izzet delver and dimir alchemy. Are there any good control decks in pauper? I like how alchemy plays and angler is stupid but I'd like another option for variety.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tron is the only viable Control deck because all other control and midrange decks lose to Tron. Other than that, I guess UB control is okay. I prefer it with a mild Flicker kill condition (1 Flicker, 1-2 Walls/Archaeomancers, 1 Dinrova Horror) but anything except Angler is fine.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

Ah, that's cool. I'm trying to make something that works for my playgroup which is "dudes who play commander but sometimes you want to play more than four games in a night" so it's not T1 net decks at an LGS. I just play the dumb izzet delver at the lgs now that everyone there has figured out how alchemy works. ; ;

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mulloy posted:

Ah, that's cool. I'm trying to make something that works for my playgroup which is "dudes who play commander but sometimes you want to play more than four games in a night" so it's not T1 net decks at an LGS. I just play the dumb izzet delver at the lgs now that everyone there has figured out how alchemy works. ; ;

if you're not looking for bleeding edge tier 1 decks than mono black control is fine as well

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

little munchkin posted:

if you're not looking for bleeding edge tier 1 decks than mono black control is fine as well

List? We have a dude who runs choking sands/witches/bob and it's pretty neat but not sure if that's what you're referring to.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mulloy posted:

So I've been dicking around with izzet delver and dimir alchemy. Are there any good control decks in pauper? I like how alchemy plays and angler is stupid but I'd like another option for variety.

How good? The Orzhov Pestilence deck is really fun but its more midrangy than strict control, and has plenty of bad match ups. It isn't awful and it is really fun (imo)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mulloy posted:

List? We have a dude who runs choking sands/witches/bob and it's pretty neat but not sure if that's what you're referring to.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19967&d=329432&f=PAU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Went to my first Pauper tournament went 1-2 with mono black land destruction. It did feel really good to do a turn 1 Gurmag Angler by casting 2 Dark Rituals and exiling them from the graveyard. My opponent scooped her Evolving Wilds and we went to game 2. Where I kept destroying her Mountains and attacking with Gurmag Angler plus Child of Night.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mulloy posted:

Deck: Pest Control

//Lands
2 Barren Moor
3 Bojuka Bog
2 Mortuary Mire
13 Swamp

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Choking Sands
4 Duress
2 Icequake
4 Rancid Earth
4 Wrench Mind

//Creatures
4 Chittering Rats
2 Crypt Rats
4 Gnat Miser
4 Gurmag Angler

//Sideboard
4 Chainer's Edict
2 Icequake
4 Nausea
1 Relic of Progenitus
4 Victim of Night

Display deck statistics

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There's now another Ravenous Rats, so if you want to play Rat.Dec, you can run 4 Ravenous Rats, 4 Burgler Rats, 4 Rotting Rats, 4 Chittering Rats, 4 Crypt Rats, and I dunno let's just say Death Denied. No hands for anyone, oh except I want my hands full of Rats. Actually let's add in 4 Mulldrifter while we're at it.

There's actually a good chance for a viable B/u Rats deck, basically the opposite of Kuldotha Boros, where you're just playing a bunch of dorks while depleting the opponent's resources, and only splashing for the good blue comes-into-play creatures and Flicker.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Man, I thought people got mad playing against Hellsau’s tron list, but I’ve been playing some absolutely heinous Ux turbofog lists, and it brings out a whole new level of saltiness in people.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

Man, I thought people got mad playing against Hellsau’s tron list, but I’ve been playing some absolutely heinous Ux turbofog lists, and it brings out a whole new level of saltiness in people.

I play the UG version and it’s an absolute delight. Most of my opponents have been cool about it though

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I play the UG version and it’s an absolute delight. Most of my opponents have been cool about it though

It's one glaring weakness is Bleak Coven Vampire and Ghostly Flicker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

It's one glaring weakness is Bleak Coven Vampire and Ghostly Flicker.

Its one glaring weakness is that Jace's Erasure's printing at common is an outlier, since there's been like three or four similar effects printed since that are all uncommon. One single Jace's Erasure isn't a fast enough clock if the opposition has any viable gameplan, so you're stuck digging to try to find two to end the game before they can fight back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Its one glaring weakness is that Jace's Erasure's printing at common is an outlier, since there's been like three or four similar effects printed since that are all uncommon. One single Jace's Erasure isn't a fast enough clock if the opposition has any viable gameplan, so you're stuck digging to try to find two to end the game before they can fight back.

Nah it's Bleak Coven Vampire.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a certified Bad Deck, but I've found a single Jace's Erasure to be fast enough against any deck that fog has a meaningful effect against, and muddle the mixture + a million cantrips seems to let you find a second fast enough against the durdle-y non-tron control decks. You're still a massive dog to tron and delver (or if you're not i'm too bad of a player to figure out how, lol), and to have a shot against burn you seem to need a lot of sideboard space.

Luckily, people play a lot of nonsense in pauper, along with elves and stompy and bad control decks, so combo-killing people with gush+whirlpool rider is a pretty achievable goal a good chunk of the time.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 1, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

i've found it to be pretty consistent with the Infinite Cantrips you have access to, plus transmuting Muddle the Mixtures. as you've said in this thread tho it 100% folds to pyroblast

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/2019-magic-online-championship-2018-11-12

So I'm heavily incentivized to start playing MTGO more regularly again. Having not only Competitive Pauper Leagues (which given my insane winrate will be substantially more profitable, assuming I can get matches on time) but also extra playoff events that, however unlikely, can qualify me for the PT and, more importantly, the MTGO Champs? Yeah guess I'll start recording videos again. Maybe I should do it a little more professionally this time.

e: oh maybe I'll finally get around to finishing up that Stonehorn Tron article.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess Wizards is committed to the two-separate-digital-platforms thing, at least for the time being.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

I guess Wizards is committed to the two-separate-digital-platforms thing, at least for the time being.

Arena is kind of a mess right now if you don't want to do whack-rear end drafts or rather expensive standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Arena is kinda expensive to play constructed, especially if you like to brew, and I'm getting tired of playing either aggro or Teferi.

Getting into pauper has been in my mind lately, and with this news from WotC maybe I'll finally do it.