Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i thought you were all about using a shiny effect to hide sloppy linework though :confused:

Hamshot posted:

Post your work :allears:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Airbrushing your washes does give it a different look than painting by hand though. It becomes more of an overall tint and doesn’t really flow into recesses like with a brush. Also you don’t really use less wash, it just gets applied 50x faster than by hand.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

On the whole, I think I'd have been better off taking Cultists, but I only had about 40 or so painted up to use. They worked out alright. I took them as 4 bolters plus a plasma gun, both for a little extra oomph and to take advantage of the legion trait (it never really came into play though). I'll probably end up taking at least a couple of squads to NoVA just because I won't be able to make massive cultist blobs work.

Going to try a mixed unit of Havocs and standard marines in rhino's.

The marines are just your bog standard Marines with CC weapons, while the Havocs will be plasma/ melta. I'm curious to see it how they fair.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

i thought you were all about using a shiny effect to hide sloppy linework though :confused:

Post your work (if you even have any)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Badablack posted:

Airbrushing your washes does give it a different look than painting by hand though. It becomes more of an overall tint and doesn’t really flow into recesses like with a brush. Also you don’t really use less wash, it just gets applied 50x faster than by hand.

Gloss coat your model, add a bit of gloss to your wash and airbrush them on as a tint. I use this all the time for my Night Lords

Post your models

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
if youre all so interested, click that little question mark button next to my avatar and go find them

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
gently caress off.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

if youre all so interested, click that little question mark button next to my avatar and go find them

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to have to look at more of your garbage posting than is absolutely necessary. You're the one who was calling someone else out, it's up to you to defend yourself.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ignore button is not difficult to find, guys.

Now please stop quoting him so I can get back to actually ignoring him, tia.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Post them, coward

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

Ignore button is not difficult to find, guys.

Now please stop quoting him so I can get back to actually ignoring him, tia.

Trouble being he's giving actively terrible advice to someone who probably doesn't have him ignore and doesn't yet know better, then does this really catty and personal attack when called out on it to try and shut down any dissenting opinions.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

One_Wing posted:

They appear to be “did the designers forget how to count” levels of overcosted I’m afraid. According to battlescribe you can have a twin las + two heavy bolter predator for five points more than a las/missile centurion.

Or, in fact, a twin las + twin autocannon dreadnought for 2 fewer points.

I take back everything i said about suncannon wraithknights being the most overcosted thing in the game, bloody hell.

Thanks for the advice! They do indeed appear to be overcosted! How do people feel about a few Redemptor Dreadnoughts? I know they’re a bit expensive, but I really like how they look, and they’d look at home in my Primaris army.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Maybe it would help if I better explained what I'm dealing with. I bought the Dark Imperium box set a while ago, and am trying to expand the Primaris Ultramarines army I made with the DI models. Currently I have this army:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [50 PL, 831pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Ultramarines

Gametype: Open

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Adept of the Codex, Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword, The Santic Halo, Warlord

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [50 PL, 831pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I'm thinking of expanding it with a Primaris Librarian and 2x Redemptor Dreads for anti-armour (my friend plays Knights).

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 26, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Redemptors are probably 50-80 points overcosted. They are really the worst Dreadnought chassis.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

behold! even i, your resident low effort driveby shitposter, have a thing to share for walker weekend

this lil boy comes from the magical far off time of fall/winter 2000, right after wd251 came out with 3rd ed vehicle design rules. the base is new, and i intend to spruce him up a bit at some point

This is the only thing I've found in your 6 pages of posts. I don't think you're in a position to talk poo poo on paint jobs.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ IRON CROSS HMMM.

Hamshot posted:

Trouble being he's giving actively terrible advice to someone who probably doesn't have him ignore and doesn't yet know better, then does this really catty and personal attack when called out on it to try and shut down any dissenting opinions.

To be fair, the whole "I'd like to see you do better" thing just comes across as petty.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I'm thinking of expanding it with a Primaris Librarian and 2x Redemptor Dreads for anti-armour (my friend plays Knights).

Unless you really want to put dreads in, I would suggest going with more hellblasters. They're probably one of the better units in the codex, aren't going to die to single high damage shots from the knights, and when they do die they benefit from the ancient banner. For the same 400 points that the 2 dreads run you could put another 10 hellblasters in and have a few left over. Plus they're cheaper $$ wise.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Redemptor is one of my favorite models GW has put out recently but you should absolutely not depend on them for your anti tank. If you want to stick with Primaris I'd just grab more Hellblasters or a Repulsor, and if you're willing to expand to the older kits Predators are pretty reasonable as well.

Seriously though, Redemptors are such great models. Once you're a little more established I'd definitely recommend picking one or two up because they'll 100% get buffed and they are just so much fun to work on.

My large, terrible child for context:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The Redemptor is one of my favorite models GW has put out recently

Agree completely. I really like them, but I don't know if I would ever field them unless they get a point drop. They're such awesome models though. Especially with the shielding off the sarcophagus.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Rules question: If you’re super-charging plasma weapons and roll a 1, does the Gravis Captain’s reroll bonus let you avoid those mortal wounds/insta-death?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gunder posted:

Rules question: If you’re super-charging plasma weapons and roll a 1, does the Gravis Captain’s reroll bonus let you avoid those mortal wounds or insta-death?

Yup, you check it after rerolls.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

Rules question: If you’re super-charging plasma weapons and roll a 1, does the Gravis Captain’s reroll bonus let you avoid those mortal wounds or insta-death?

That reroll prevents you from losing that model. Unless, of course, you reroll into more 1's.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is the only thing I've found in your 6 pages of posts. I don't think you're in a position to talk poo poo on paint jobs.

here you missed one

nice to see all these nice space barbies instead of endless theoryhammering and arguing about bad rules/titty models for once

heres the last pic i took of my old 3rd ed templars a few years back

if you look close you can see the layers of dust on em

getting incensed about criticism of an artistic work and asking the critic if they can do any better is pretty high tier art douche stuff so good job lads

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Your line work is a little sloppy m8

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you have access to an airbrush you can get that degree of darkness with two or three coats of Nuln through the AB. It wouldn't take nearly as much to achieve as by hand.
You wouldn't get the recess pooling the same way you really want though.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

^^^ IRON CROSS HMMM.

To be fair, the whole "I'd like to see you do better" thing just comes across as petty.

When known greenstuff-tittyman nazi defending Lord Aba is the only one defending you, you must know you hosed up somewhere along the line.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
GENTLEMEN, THERE IS NO FIGHTING IN THE WARHAMMER ROOM

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

here you missed one

getting incensed about criticism of an artistic work and asking the critic if they can do any better is pretty high tier art douche stuff so good job lads

Your driveby snipes are hardly the height of enlightened critique, friend

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

gently caress off you insipid little poo poo. People took offence to you being a spiteful oval office. If you don't want people pointing out that you're being a oval office, don't be a oval office.

oval office.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mango sentinel posted:

You wouldn't get the recess pooling the same way you really want though.

True. I'd probably do the airbrushed Nuln, a drybrush of Necron compound, then an oil wash for the recesses if I were going for a really solid look. Or maybe use a Vallejo acrylic rust wash in the recesses.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If I have a 10-man squad of Intercessors and decide to combat squad them into 2x 5-man squads, do both squads get a Sergeant? I'm pretty sure that only one squad gets a sergeant, but am unsure.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

If I have a 10-man squad of Intercessors and decide to combat squad them into 2x 5-man squads, do both squads get a Sergeant? I'm pretty sure that only one squad gets a sergeant, but am unsure.

One one Sergeant sadly. You could always design a squad leader or corporal esk Marine if you really wanted.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You are almost always better running Intercessors in two 5 man squads than in a single larger group and combat squadding. Two separate squads fills out twice the number of troop slots and gives you two sergeants who have extra attacks and can take power swords.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Foul Ole Ron posted:

One one Sergeant sadly. You could always design a squad leader or corporal esk Marine if you really wanted.

It sounds like it might be better to build any 10-man intercessor boxes I buy as 2 separate squads, each with a sergeant of their own. They only thing I'm concerned about is that "no more than 3 datasheets" beta rule that was recently announced. At the moment my army has 2x 5-man Intercessor squads, and I really want a third, but any box I buy will give me 10 models rather than 5.

Edit: Exactly ^^^^

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

LordAba posted:

^^^ IRON CROSS HMMM.

Don't you know that only a paid expert can give his opinion on a given topic

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Pendent posted:

You are almost always better running Intercessors in two 5 man squads than in a single larger group and combat squadding. Two separate squads fills out twice the number of troop slots and gives you two sergeants who have extra attacks and can take power swords.

Also gets you two guys shooting their grenade launchers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gunder posted:

It sounds like it might be better to build any 10-man intercessor boxes I buy as 2 separate squads, each with a sergeant of their own. They only thing I'm concerned about is that "no more than 3 datasheets" beta rule that was recently announced. At the moment my army has 2x 5-man Intercessor squads, and I really want a third, but any box I buy will give me 10 models rather than 5.

Edit: Exactly ^^^^

Troops are exempt from that rule.

10 man squads can be useful, but the times they're useful are typically against big hordes that you want to be able to ensure you get overwatch against instead of merely being piled into/consolidated into, or when using Stratagems that affect units at a time like the Deathwatch +1 to wound strats or the Imperial Fist more-shots-on-6s.

Most reasons to use a 10 man aren't very good.

EDIT: Unless you're using it to try to beat the bid to go first. That's a big deal.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The redemptor dread's CCW is fantastic

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Troops are exempt from that rule.

10 man squads can be useful, but the times they're useful are typically against big hordes that you want to be able to ensure you get overwatch against instead of merely being piled into/consolidated into, or when using Stratagems that affect units at a time like the Deathwatch +1 to wound strats or the Imperial Fist more-shots-on-6s.

Most reasons to use a 10 man aren't very good.

EDIT: Unless you're using it to try to beat the bid to go first. That's a big deal.

Even trying to beat the bid to go first really isn't that big a deal. If you win it's about a 60% chance, if you lose about a 40% chance, accounting for both the +1 on the roll and the 6 to sieze. It would make a significant difference if you're playing with the old rulebook missions that are just a flat go first if you deploy first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Also gets you two guys shooting their grenade launchers.

I always forget about this both when posting and playing.