Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Also tell your girlfriend to tell her cousin to neuter her cat unless she's like a professional breeder or something... But if she was then she'd probably not need her cousin to take care of her cat? IDK but she should probably neuter her cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Pussy Quipped posted:

Hey cat people.
I'm cat-sitting for my girlfriend's cousin and I was hoping you all could help me out. Cat was pretty shy at first being in a new place which was expected, and he spent a lot of time under our bed hiding. This morning when we woke up there was definitely a smell in our bedroom. I read up about cats urinating in places other than their litter box, and since he's a male cat that is not neutered I figure he must be marking some new territory for himself.
The problem is I can't figure out where he actually urinated in the room. It happened while we were asleep, and I haven't seen any obvious wet patches or stains. How do I figure out where he pissed so I can clean it properly and get rid of this gross smell? Do I go get a blacklight from the hardware store and would that even work?

An enzyme cleaner is a good solution for cleaning it up when you find it (or even if you think you found it, better safe than sorry).

Examples: https://www.petsmart.com/dog/cleaning-supplies/stain-and-odor-removers/

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Wow, hosed up to request untrained fostering before fixing, imo. Rip yon carpet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
We had to take one of our younger cats to the vet today, wife noticed the night before that he had been moving between litter boxes trying to pee with no luck and still hadn't gone by morning. Vet said there was a blockage and they sedated him to see if just being mega relaxed would get him to go - and it did, the whole thing cost us 200 odd dollars and they sent his urine out to be looked at to see if there's an infection. We kept him in the bedroom with a box to see if he'd go normally all day and it's the same thing again and I'm getting super worried to the point where I can't sleep.

A government screw-up has left me without a replacement green card or equivalent and unable to work so money is tight, and I have no idea how we're going to pay for more work on him, and the lab probably won't send the work back until Monday and I love the little guy so much and it isn't his fault this is happening. I'm not sure what I hoped to achieve with this post, just needed to vent.

Here's the little guy, he's about a year older than he was in this picture but still only a couple years old.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My kitten, a Haiku

Glitch your farts smell bad
How are you able to breath
Jesus loving christ cat

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How many times do you think he's going to run face first into the door before he learns he can't get those birds?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My nerds, for context.

I have two cattes, Phobos and Deimos. Phobos is the black cat and Deimos is the tabby. They are sisters and two years old. And for the past two years I have not been able to sleep uninterrupted because Deimos always wants pets around 4:30 in the morning. She's not hungry or anything because we feed them at about 5 pm and they have dry food available all day/night. Nope. She just wants pets. So every night she stands on my chest and meows and then, while I am still sleeping, puts her face underneath one of my hands which, in my sleep, feels a cat there so it unconsciously pets the cat. And she just meows and licks me and forces her face under my sleeping hands for free pets until I wake up enough from this treatment to shove her off of me, which could take two or three minutes. So this rear end in a top hat is getting several minutes of unconscious pets every night and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I've never had a cat this diabolical before. Once I shove her off of me she settles down and sleeps with me until I wake up for real. I like that part so I don't want to shut the door. Just wondering if anybody knows of a way to control what my sleeping body is doing or am I going to be sleep-petting my rear end in a top hat cat for the next fifteen years?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Deimos: well done, carry on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My strategy has been to hug the cat like a body pillow and snuggle up all rough-like. Jet tried that and he learned pretty quickly not to bother me when I was asleep.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pollyanna posted:

My strategy has been to hug the cat like a body pillow and snuggle up all rough-like. Jet tried that and he learned pretty quickly not to bother me when I was asleep.

How do you get to keep your blood inside your body where it belongs? Domino's new thing is nightly walking across us because :iiam: and all force cuddles do is get me torn open and then walked across

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Pollyanna posted:

This does not work because Deimos is extremely pointy.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You should probably try to teach the furballs to let you trim their nails. Earlier the better. Mine has to be sedated.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little blood. Get some cheap sheets for this training...no I kid, but the general advice is sound. Don't let them enjoy waking you up and they'll eventually stop.

My boy cat has finally learned that we don't like him to put his paws in our mouths. We usually turn our backs to him and he ends up sleeping between us for a bit before leaving again. Sometimes I'll give him the crook to curl up in.

It'll take a while but it'll work eventually. Kittens are particularly terrible at night but once they chill out a bit and sleep an extra eight hours a day they become more tolerable.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
We have this sweet little stray cat thats been basically living with us a couple months now. Origibally i lured her in with food and shes become quite at home here and now very friendly and needy.

Havent seen her in a few days which isnt unusual and tonight she crawled in looking like this

Covered in dried blood and poo poo. Very sad and meowy and just wants to cuddle. Shes had a little water but wont take food. I think her nose is blocked with blood so shes breathing thru her mouth. No broken bones as far as i can tell and she doesnt flinch at being touched or picked up. Her rear end is caked in dried poo poo because i dont think she's been able to clean herself. I tried giving her a bath but it was too hard and i dodnt want to stress her out.

Im hoping she just needs some r&r. I think shes been hit by a car maybe or attacked by something but i cant see any open wounds. Vet wants 200 bucks consult which i cant afford. Is it going to be ok just to let her rest and come good? I think shes just exhausted too from whatever ordeal shes been through :ohdear:

Although it did give me warm and fuzzies thay she came back to me for comfort. :3:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 25, 2018

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Call around and see if you can find a vet that will work with your budget. I appreciate that this is not strictly speaking your cat and that you don't have a lot of spare cash, but kitty really needs to be seen. Contact rescues in your area- they might be able to help, though this time of year they're probably overwhelmed with kitten season. Another option is Care Credit- which is basically a credit card that you use for vet bills. Their rates are usually pretty reasonable.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Oh i live in tasmania, aus and vets are mad expensive and no credit option available im a broke rear end bartender.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm in australia and I adopted one of my cats from a vet, she had been dropped off as a badly injured stray kitten and they fixed her up and put her up for adoption. At a different vet while waiting for an appointment I heard them call someone to say their missing cat had been found and nursed back to health and they didn't need to pay for it.

Basically phone around and say you found a badly injured but friendly stray cat and will they take it in?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Oh i live in tasmania, aus and vets are mad expensive and no credit option available im a broke rear end bartender.

Find your local facebook group for lost animals?

Alternatively ask if people are willing to chip in for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sludge Tank posted:

We have this sweet little stray cat thats been basically living with us a couple months now. Origibally i lured her in with food and shes become quite at home here and now very friendly and needy.

Havent seen her in a few days which isnt unusual and tonight she crawled in looking like this

Covered in dried blood and poo poo. Very sad and meowy and just wants to cuddle. Shes had a little water but wont take food. I think her nose is blocked with blood so shes breathing thru her mouth. No broken bones as far as i can tell and she doesnt flinch at being touched or picked up. Her rear end is caked in dried poo poo because i dont think she's been able to clean herself. I tried giving her a bath but it was too hard and i dodnt want to stress her out.

Im hoping she just needs some r&r. I think shes been hit by a car maybe or attacked by something but i cant see any open wounds. Vet wants 200 bucks consult which i cant afford. Is it going to be ok just to let her rest and come good? I think shes just exhausted too from whatever ordeal shes been through :ohdear:

Although it did give me warm and fuzzies thay she came back to me for comfort. :3:

PMed you

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can clean her nose and butt at least somewhat by wetting a soft tissue with warm water and holding it on the affected area, eventually wiping if she'll let you. Put a picture on the bar next to a pitcher, see if people will contribute?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The cat i think comes from the house of ferals across the road i think she has like a dozen cats that all hang around her house. Like shes had a cat thats had kittens ad infinitum she doesnt look after them at all so the cats decoded to live with us.

No improvements over night she slept under my bed still has made no attempt to clean herself so im taking her to animal hospital they said if theres no chip, which there wont be, theyll give her to the shelter and i have to try and convince them to let me take her home which shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the help. I hope shes ok

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beans peeing outside her box again so I'm going back in tomorrow to get her anti-inflammatory medicine. The vet asked if I'd considered urinary tract food and then laid the "oh the prescription food will run you 3x more than off the shelf stuff" so who knows a good affordable urinary tract food? I saw there was Purina One Urinary Tract blend has anyone had luck there?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You can get boxes of royal canine from chewy with shipping discounts or on Amazon and it's certainly not triple unless you were just getting the cheapest food possible before now. It obviously helps to consider it an investment in not having to do this anti blockage and flushing business over and over, if not a boost to their general well-being and life expectancy. Haven't tried that Purina one type.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 26, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If anyone needs kidney diet wet food, my family has 22 cans of chicken flavored restricted diet that we don't need anymore we're willing to ship as long as recipient covers the cost of sending it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Vet says kitty was probably kicked in the head

And is a boy

Broken tooth dislocated jaw and torn lip. In surgery now. $1k vet bills :(((

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Poor kitty...keep us updated. Thanks to the angels looking out for that obviously cute creature who hopefully doesn't have brain damage.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Even with a busted up face kitty couldnt resist the natural instinct of sitting on the vet nurses keyboard :3:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Such a handsome cat. Hope he's going to be ok and can live somewhere safe, away from whoever is kicking cats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man who'd hurt such a big fat ol kitty. You're a good person.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Heres some older pics of us hanging out as i said hes been hanging at our house intermittently the last 2 or 3 months.

They just rang and said hes out of surgery and will be fine. They wired his jaw back together, stitched his lip back together and removed the broken teeth and cleaned him up. Cost me a grand. They said he probably hasnt eaten a few days because of the jaw.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 26, 2018

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Whomever decided to kick that beautiful cat in the head needs to have their own head beaten in with a baseball bat. Only fair. Good on you for getting him mended.

Our fat little one-eared boy is three months post ear-removal surgery and is doing great. He went through a rough few weeks last month where he was having some dental issues, and subsequently lost his appetite because eating food was painful for him. He would meow like crazy for food, but then very tentatively eat only about half a can of wet food per meal. He lost a couple pounds in the process, down from 14 to about 12.

Fortunately he's made a great comeback this month, is back to eating his normal diet and a full can per meal, and has regained the weight he lost. We also managed to get his diabetes under control and the vet let us know that we don't need to give him any more insulin injections! As long as we keep him on his current diabetic diet and he doesn't go full-on type 1, he hopefully won't need another one.

As far as we know he still has his cancer, but we're happy that he's basically acting entirely like his old self again! Hopefully the cancer stays the gently caress away and we get to keep him around with us for many more years to come.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yes excellent cattes!

Hope one-ear carries on well! Glad he got past the rough patch!

Sludge Tank you're a hero and a saint, also if you ever find who did that let me know.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Also loving lol that they actually used the dumb name ive given this cat 🤣🤣🤣

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I love Murder Cat 5000 and hope he feels better really soon.

Any thoughts on making him a permanent indoor cat? He seems very loving.

Also you are a good person and I wish I had money to send you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sludge Tank posted:

Also loving lol that they actually used the dumb name ive given this cat 🤣🤣🤣

Murder Cat 5000 is such a good name for a sweet cat like that! You can't change it now.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah i took out a small loan to pay the vet bill. Bit of a pain but id rather be broke and have more cuddles than more money but have the cat put to sleep

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know why anyone would hurt such a sweet cat :ohdear: The same thing happened to the cat we just adopted, Frederic, though much less severe--he had some eye damage but it's healing up without surgery.

It really bums me out that someone would intentionally hurt stray cats. I know it happens all the time, it's not a surprise, it's just so utterly confusing and upsetting to me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Awwwwwwwww!

D1E posted:

I love Murder Cat 5000 and hope he feels better really soon.

Any thoughts on making him a permanent indoor cat? He seems very loving.

Also you are a good person and I wish I had money to send you.

Seconding this even though we’re outdoor cat people ourselves. Tasmania (or your neighborhood in particular) seems really dangerous.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sludge Tank posted:

Heres some older pics of us hanging out as i said hes been hanging at our house intermittently the last 2 or 3 months.

grats on your new cat

keep it inside

also do you have a paypal? everyone here should give this man some money. that would be good.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Deviant posted:

grats on your new cat

keep it inside

also do you have a paypal? everyone here should give this man some money. that would be good.

Yes, this. I'd throw a little in the Good Person Fund for People Doing Good Things Even If It's Financially Difficult pot as long as you start keeping that good boy inside...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Murder Cat 5000 is a fortunate kitty. So handsome! What a good soul you are, Sludge Tank.

Here's an idiot who got stung in the eyelid by a bee.

She's doing okay. Just observing her for signs of infection. Fortunately she does not seem to have much of an allergic response to bee venom.

This is at least the third time she's gotten at a bee this year... Somehow one scooted past my bee airlock system. :mad: And Evil Gizmo is addicted to bees.