Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

I really cannot agree that 13th Age combat stacks up to 4e unless you play a select few classes.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. It doesn't scratch the same itch that 4E does for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

I'm not even talking the full FATE compel experience, just something like "You get 10 Luck points per session, less if you're a Wizard. Spend them for rerolls and stuff". You could graft that straight on to 5e.

e: ditch attunenement slots and replace it with attunement eating into your luck points. Now you can actually start trying to balance low and high magic campaigns in the same system.

From what I heard, it didn't really work out to do a good job making characters feel balanced in the Dresden Files RPG, so it's not really a surprise that others haven't adopted that particular mechanic.

I have zero first-hand experience with DFRPG, and am going only on what I heard, so I could be entirely misinformed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
13th age is more a better version of what 5e tries to do, rather than an alternate to 4e.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

a major rebalance that I've been using in my 4e games

I'm interested in hearing about this; got a link?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If all the main group you game with typically wants to play is 3.5e, then 5e is a breath of fresh air. It's not perfect by any means but it's less fiddly and still has the pointless crunch that D&D players live for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Antivehicular posted:

On this subject: I got my BLACK CUBE last week, and we did an unboxing last night. Is this sort of thing acceptable to post in Fatal & Friends? I'm going to be doing a writeup of the game as soon as I've read it all, but I feel like understanding this huge crap-pile requires seeing all the drat components. (There are... many components. Some of them have clear gameplay applications. Most of them are eldritch mysteries.)

It's acceptable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

fool_of_sound posted:

13th age is more a better version of what 5e tries to do, rather than an alternate to 4e.

I feel like "alternative to 4e" is a good word for what it is, in that it's similar to 4e but has completely different goals. It's more of a fraternal twin to that game than an attempt to iterate on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

I'm not even talking the full FATE compel experience, just something like "You get 10 Luck points per session, less if you're a Wizard. Spend them for rerolls and stuff". You could graft that straight on to 5e.

e: ditch attunenement slots and replace it with attunement eating into your luck points. Now you can actually start trying to balance low and high magic campaigns in the same system.

Most games are in fact much improved by throwing in some kind of metanarrative currency/Hero points/Action points/"Bennies" so that players have better control over their rolls and where they really want to insist on pulling something off.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So, let's say I'm making a system that's going to emulate a certain game and it's designed for three PCs who can each make one attack per turn, one that deals a lot of damage but no secondary effects, one that deals medium damage but increases the critical chance of the subsequent turn and one that charges a special move bar that you can use... How viable could that be.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I know Robotech Tactics is getting embalmed right now, but holy gently caress look at this poo poo:

quote:

Look and weep at the Glaug (Marauder) and Recon Regalt (Ostscout) sprue.

It makes 1 of each. several pieces don't fit or are impossible to remove whole from the sprue and the Recon's waist is missing the join to it's legs.

Tiny specks of "model" to cut out, and parts that don't even fit together. There is literally no part of this Kickstarter that wasn't somehow a shitshow.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zurui posted:

I took a look at the rules for Ryuutama and I like...about half of it. The journey rules are great and the dragon stuff is cool but the character and combat rules are kind of an uninspired D&D-alike. You basically pick a Job which gives you noncombat bonuses and then a Class (Fighter/Rogue/Wizard).

I want my characters to be competent professionals, not farmers with a sword.

Ryuutama isn't about being professioal murderhobos, no. It's about a wide range of fairly normal people going on journeys and having adventures. I won't call the three types "classes" though because 1. What you referred to as "jobs" are what the game calls classes. And 2. the types aren't really fleshed out enough to be described as classes at all. They provide situational bonuses or spell progression and that's it.

Ryuutama also isn't very D&D like. Combat is way more abstracted and short. There's not really much in the way of tactical choice or in-combat abilities, either. The journey portion has more in common with gear management, but even overland treks shouldn't last longer than 4 days using the standard rules. I guess it'd be more like a simplified The One Ring game than D&D directly? Or JRPGs like Dragon Quest?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

13th Age is also a hell of a lot easier to find players for, since it doesn't carry the baggage ginned up against 4e.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

13th Age is also a hell of a lot easier to find players for, since it doesn't carry the baggage ginned up against 4e.

I don't think anyone IRL cares about the 4e controversy. I met exactly one person who did and he was a guy in his 40s who hung out in a university RPG society with people half his age to bitch about their games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Probably not so much anymore.

We used to average one or two drive-by shits a night with stuff about "Tabletop WoW" and "participation trophy edition," but that's just what you got playing in an LGS.

If I try to get a 4e game going with my regular group, I'll immediately lose about 2/3ds of my players. Then the remaining players atrophy out until we go back to PF or whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon-Lime posted:

FWIW the author is aware that the WFRP-ish poopmaggot stuff doesn't float everyone's boat, and is apparently working on an alternate, more traditionally heroic setting book.

That said, it's not that hard to ignore insanity and corruption rules and just not include the poopmaggots.
Yeah but it's really awkward saying "Hey we should play this cool game, it's way better than 5e, please ignore all the flavour text tho thanks"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

Yeah but it's really awkward saying "Hey we should play this cool game, it's way better than 5e, please ignore all the flavour text tho thanks"

I mean, it's a very small portion of the flavour and rules text, which is why it's easy to ignore.

But yes, it being there for people to ignore in the first place is pretty silly, and will thankfully eventually not be an issue any more once he's put out his "generic" fantasy splat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

That's pretty easy to do for me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There a lot lot of people, including some on these very forums, for whom the idea of a system without a setting or with an optional setting is incomprehensible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fool_of_sound posted:

There a lot lot of people, including some on these very forums, for whom the idea of a system without a setting or with an optional setting is incomprehensible.
I think this is a little uncharitable, or at the very least doesn't match my feelings despite overall agreeing with the sentiment. I think a system needs to be designed with a coherent setting in mind, whether or not you actually use it at the table. It doesn't even have to be included in the book, but systems where it doesn't exist at all tend to come off as pretty incoherent to me. (Like, I bet you could strip rpg books of their "default setting" chapters, and I could still tell you by reading them which ones were designed without one - there's something meaningfully different about systems that don't try to fit into a coherent world.)

So like, I don't care for the poop stuff in demon lord, but I'm glad Schwalb picked a setting and stuck with it and designed his system to be coherent within something because systems that don't are a mess. I can still easily remove the poop in my own game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

spectralent posted:

I don't think anyone IRL cares about the 4e controversy. I met exactly one person who did and he was a guy in his 40s who hung out in a university RPG society with people half his age to bitch about their games.

Ok, but the number of D&D nerds who aren't in any way online are a bit rare. There's still no shortage of bizarre and random anti-4e drive-bys being done by people who never played the game, and I suspect they will always exist until some new edition becomes the one "D&D culture" hates. And honestly, it isn't surprising. Right up until 4e was announced you could still see people bitching about 2e, including, don't be shocked now, lots of 3e players who didn't know the first thing about 2e.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Antivehicular posted:

On this subject: I got my BLACK CUBE last week, and we did an unboxing last night. Is this sort of thing acceptable to post in Fatal & Friends? I'm going to be doing a writeup of the game as soon as I've read it all, but I feel like understanding this huge crap-pile requires seeing all the drat components. (There are... many components. Some of them have clear gameplay applications. Most of them are eldritch mysteries.)
Well, sure. For that matter, even if it was a board game, I don't see any reason not do F&Fs of board games, especially if they have at least a tangential connection to wargaming. Like if I can make a case that Runequest is both the cutting edge of game design and representative of its time in 1980, I'd like to hear someone put White Bear and Red Moon into a similar context.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

Oh don't be that guy. I have no problem telling people "Ignore the fluff, I'm running something else", I do have a problem with "Ignore the fluff, it's embarrassingly grimdark". Page 7 has an imp holding a severed foot on it and that kind of thing is so rolleyesy it makes it very difficult to get people to take the game seriously.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

Oh don't be that guy. I have no problem telling people "Ignore the fluff, I'm running something else", I do have a problem with "Ignore the fluff, it's embarrassingly grimdark". Page 7 has an imp holding a severed foot on it and that kind of thing is so rolleyesy it makes it very difficult to get people to take the game seriously.

aw come on, that little guy is cute. he loves his severed foot.

Austria felix nube
Mar 17, 2017

Bella gerant alii, tu Austria felix nube.
There's also the incel wizard and an ogre-like monster wearing a woman's corpse as a crotch piece...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, sure. For that matter, even if it was a board game, I don't see any reason not do F&Fs of board games, especially if they have at least a tangential connection to wargaming. Like if I can make a case that Runequest is both the cutting edge of game design and representative of its time in 1980, I'd like to hear someone put White Bear and Red Moon into a similar context.

I would love a review of White Bear and Red Moon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone done, like, Mutant Chronicles? I feel like there are all these wargaming-adjacent franchises that are a big deal to a lot of people but that I'm totally oblivious about. I know more about obscure BJ Zanzibar WoD homebrews than I do about, for example, Battletech.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Austria felix nube posted:

There's also the incel wizard and an ogre-like monster wearing a woman's corpse as a crotch piece...

Incel wizard illustration is right where he belongs.
But yes, I wouldn't mind a pulling-back of some of the other poopbloodgenitalia.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Serf posted:

aw come on, that little guy is cute. he loves his severed foot.
I had to scroll past this 3 times and I guess my brain skipped over all the black and white small pictures? Never noticed this one. It is pretty cute, he looks happy and hey maybe it's a statue or something. The gross stuff in text seems worse than the images to - the person being disemboweled by a wolfman or something is the worst image, to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, way back when the game was being kickstarted, I heard an interview Rob did with some podcaster. He was really, really proud of all the gross stuff, and had some thing about orcs with huge boners attacking something. The memory is dim.

Anyway, that was enough for me to cancel my pledge.

I picked it up during the Bundle of Holding, and I'm really glad I did - it's a great game with solid design. But I completely understand anyone who's turned off by the default body horror/gross-out 80's aesthetic.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i'm looking for recommendations (and apologies in advance, i'm sure this has been asked a billion times at this point but i couldn't find a good "NOOBS START HERE" for RPG stuff)

I am looking to play... something with some friends in a few weeks. I floated the idea of trying out D&D or one of it's derivatives and they were very receptive. I have never played an RPG, my friends have never played an RPG. Assume we have 0 tabletop gaming experience tbh - we are starting completely from scratch. I am totally ok with trying my hand at DMing and I'd like to start with something A) that we can one-shot and B) won't require multiple hours of character creation.

I'm planning on learning some of the rules of whatever we are going to be playing before we sit down and start so that we don't spend 4 hours exclusively flipping through rulebooks (though there will probably be a lot of this). fwiw, we have 4 players including me - I would be DMing for 3 people. I've heard good things about Pathfinder and DungeonWorld but I'm unsure if either of these are good for a table full of absolute rpg babies.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

i'm looking for recommendations (and apologies in advance, i'm sure this has been asked a billion times at this point but i couldn't find a good "NOOBS START HERE" for RPG stuff)

I am looking to play... something with some friends in a few weeks. I floated the idea of trying out D&D or one of it's derivatives and they were very receptive. I have never played an RPG, my friends have never played an RPG. Assume we have 0 tabletop gaming experience tbh - we are starting completely from scratch. I am totally ok with trying my hand at DMing and I'd like to start with something A) that we can one-shot and B) won't require multiple hours of character creation.

I'm planning on learning some of the rules of whatever we are going to be playing before we sit down and start so that we don't spend 4 hours exclusively flipping through rulebooks (though there will probably be a lot of this). fwiw, we have 4 players including me - I would be DMing for 3 people. I've heard good things about Pathfinder and DungeonWorld but I'm unsure if either of these are good for a table full of absolute rpg babies.

Pathfinder is high effort character/monster creation and Dungeon World is... not good for a novice group. 13th Age is my recommendation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

To ease up the burden on needing a GM for a complete group of newbies, maybe check out Fiasco? It is "neo-noir" and not fantasy, though.

There is also Dread, which is a horror kind of game that uses a Jenga tower for its resolution system. This system does require a GM.

I would not recommend Pathfinder as that is just too much rules minutia for an entire group of first timers. Especially since you won't know which mechanics are ok to ignore or fudge and which aren't.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Maybe Fellowship?

I'd say 13th Age is real good though. If you want DnD but with more narrative hooks for your group to go at, you can't go much better than 13th Age.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

fool_of_sound posted:

Pathfinder is high effort character/monster creation and Dungeon World is... not good for a novice group. 13th Age is my recommendation.

Much as I love Dungeon World, I think 13th Age is a pretty solid suggestion. Especially if you stick to the simpler classes to start with.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The old Basic D&D Rules Cyclopedia is a good simple set of rules and has everything you need to get started. There's a retroclone of it called Dark Dungeons which I've read through but haven't played. That has a free PDF available for download, while there's paid PDFs of the Rules Cyclopedia. They're simple, character creation takes five minutes if you drag things out and they're the version I played when I was ten, making them objectively the best D&D version ever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The RC also has an astonishing amount of material in it, above and beyond the Basic Set underpinnings. A full domain management system, druids and mystics, a mass combat system, tons of monsters, outer planes, an introduction to the Mystara campaign settings, and more. You can play for a very long time with just the RC. It's unusually well-written by RPG rulebook standards (Aaron Allston was the author) and it's entirely lacking in the sort of useless bloat that 1990s RPG rulebooks had (signature characters, long passages of in-setting fiction, giant potted history section, etc etc). Just a superb product all around, one of my all-time favorites and arguably the single best thing TSR ever published.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I second Fellowship, or maybe Spire: The City Must Fall if you want a really dense little setting for new players, with more or less simple mechanics.

I'd generally look at indie RPGs for a good start, D&D is a bit baroque.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Both 13th age and The Rules Cyclopedia have the benefit of being the full game in one book. Supplements are just that, supplementary. Cyclopedia is probably easier on players, due to relatively simple character options during combat, but harder on the DM, due to it’s old school layout. 13th age, at the very least, gives most classes something interesting to do.

Also be aware, cyclopedia Thieves are awful, even compared to thieves in other early editions of D&D. This is because their skill improvements are stretched out for 36 levels. You will want to look up their progression tables from the B/X version of the game and use those.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 26, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

What kinds of stories do you like? What story cliches do you like and dislike?
Are you looking for tolkieny fantasy or would scifi or urban fantasy or secret wars or superheroes be your jam?
Do you want to be Big drat Heroes punching dragons in the face or do you want to be scrub-tier farmers trying to kill a particularly angry rat?

Do you think you want crunchy rules (Well I'm a DWARF in ARMOUR so I move at THIS SPEED) or something more freeform ("I failed the roll, so obviously it's because I, a DWARF, just wasn't fast enough!")? This is kind of an advanced question, feel free to skip it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, why would Dungeon World be bad for newbies?