Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Crosspeice posted:

Bullshit, if he liked Flygon that much he would've given it a mega, but oh well, least it works well in the lower tiers instead of having a mega and fighting with Garchomp for dominance.

Garchomp's Mega does almost nothing for it apart from fixing its shiny form.

But it also says something about Flygon's design that they couldn't come up with something "grander" for its Mega form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what do the new games say about mega evolution?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hunt11 posted:

The Pokedex now has separate entries for Mega evolutions. Most of them talk about how the transformation is hazardous to the Pokémon's physical, mental and emotional states. Some go through lots of pain as their body morphs into a different form and others go insane with power, becoming mindless killing machines.

It basically shows that being Mega evolved is a massive strain and would prefer to be in their regular forms if they could.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zuzie posted:

The Pokedex now has separate entries for Mega evolutions. Most of them talk about how the transformation is hazardous to the Pokémon's physical, mental and emotional states. Some go through lots of pain as their body morphs into a different form and others go insane with power, becoming mindless killing machines.

It basically shows that being Mega evolved is a massive strain and would prefer to be in their regular forms if they could.

The XY anime also has them sort of go power mad and if it wasn't for the strong bond between trainer & Pokemon they'd be near uncontrollable in addition to hurting themselves to exhaustion.
If you ever saw that gif of mega lucario zooming up to pikachu and hitting it with bone club like pikachu was a golf ball, that's from when Korrina was trying out mega evolution and unable to fully control what Lucario was doing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunt11 posted:

Mega Gengar posted:

Gengar's relationships are warped. It has no interest in opponents unless it perceives them as prey.
It tries to take the lives of anyone and everyone. It will even try to curse the Trainer who is its master!

Mega Gyarados posted:

Mega Evolution also affects its brain, leaving no other function except its destructive instinct to burn everything to cinders.
Mega Evolution places a burden on its body. The stress causes it to become all the more ferocious.

Mega Aerodactyl posted:

When it Mega Evolves, it becomes more vicious than ever before. Some say that's because its excess of power is causing it pain.
It will attack anything that moves. Mega Evolution is a burden on its body, so it's incredibly irritated.

Mega Scizor posted:

It stores the excess energy from Mega Evolution, so after a long time passes, its body starts to melt.

Mega Houndoom posted:

Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself.

Mega Tyranitar posted:

Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving.
The effects of Mega Evolution make it more ferocious than ever. It's unclear whether it can even hear its Trainer's orders.

Mega Banette posted:

Extraordinary energy amplifies its cursing power to such an extent that it can't help but curse its own Trainer.
Mega Evolution increases its vindictiveness, and the cursing power that was held back by its zipper comes spilling out.

Mega Garchomp posted:

Excess energy melted its arms and wings, transforming them into giant scythes.
Its vaunted wings become scythes, sending it mad with rage. It swings its scythes wildly and slices the ground to pieces.
Its arms and wings melted into something like scythes. Mad with rage, it rampages on and on.
Its disposition is more vicious than before its Mega Evolution. Garchomp carves its opponents up with the scythes on both arms.

Mega Sharpedo posted:

The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering.

Mega Glalie posted:

The power of Mega Evolution was so strong that it smashed Glalie's jaw. Its inability to eat very well leaves Glalie irritated.

Mega Salamence posted:

Mega Evolution fuels its brutality, and it may even turn on the Trainer who raised it. It's been dubbed "the blood-soaked crescent."
The stress of its two proud wings becoming misshapen and stuck together because of strong energy makes it go on a rampage.

Basically, if you check the Pokedex entry for most Mega Evolutions, the game is telling you "why the gently caress would you ever do this to your Pokemon you gigantic evil monster". The most should be kept clear though, some like Kangaskhan and Slowbro have cute and harmless descriptions, and most of Pinsir's outright state that it goddamn loves having wings now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Slowbro doesn't even realize it Mega Evolved. Ampharos is loving stoked to have its wool back. Mawile is now explicitly a monster instead of the old implications.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

My biggest issue with it is that it now makes everyone in the region of Kalos looks like horrible monsters or oblivious sociopaths. There is a professor dedicated to researching this stuff, so logically he would know all about this but just never said anything, I guess! Yeah sure Mega Gengar is a threat to you, the trainer, but look at that stat spread! Its just a sloppy, obvious retcon for something that did not need it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokedex Quotes

Seriously, most of these read like they'd come from an edgy fangame.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Perfectly in line with the rest of the SM pokedex entries, then.

Personally, I hold to the idea that the RotomDex writes all the entries, which is why the ghost ones are so spooky!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's really weird when you consider that it's only through the bond with the trainer that the Pokemon can achieve this new power. It's literally the power of friendship.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arcade Rabbit posted:

My biggest issue with it is that it now makes everyone in the region of Kalos looks like horrible monsters or oblivious sociopaths. There is a professor dedicated to researching this stuff, so logically he would know all about this but just never said anything, I guess!

Sycamore being an oblivious sociopath is perfectly in-line with his characterization though! This is the guy who was friends with a genocidal monster that constantly went on hammy rants about his gigantically messed-up ideals and thought there was nothing wrong with him and he was a good man that was only helping Kalos improve.

Funky Valentine posted:

Slowbro doesn't even realize it Mega Evolved. Ampharos is loving stoked to have its wool back. Mawile is now explicitly a monster instead of the old implications.

Slowbro didn't even change, its Shellder did, and the Slowpoke itself is apparently super comfy in its new home :3: I still think the most adorable ones are Pinsir's though since they are just "it grew wings and now it's super happy flying". A marked contrast with THE BLOOD-RED CRESCENT whose wings you ruined and now is just in a constant state of murderous rage.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

My biggest issue with it is that it now makes everyone in the region of Kalos looks like horrible monsters or oblivious sociopaths. There is a professor dedicated to researching this stuff, so logically he would know all about this but just never said anything, I guess! Yeah sure Mega Gengar is a threat to you, the trainer, but look at that stat spread! Its just a sloppy, obvious retcon for something that did not need it.

Seriously, most of these read like they'd come from an edgy fangame.

I feel like the intent is that you need a Strong Bond (TM) to keep them from going crazy, but they never bother pointing this out in the games.

I genuinely wonder if the initial design doc for mega evolutions had a happiness requirement

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

With Mega-Evolution, it feels like they changed their minds about what it actually was when they put it into the anime. Then the Rotomdex entries took it to the next level.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe Rotom is just coming up with a new Pokemon romhack and injecting some headcanon. :v:

Also, yeah, I love how most of the Megas just become violent murderers and Mega Ampharos just gets Loreal hair.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, yeah, I love how most of the Megas just become violent murderers and Mega Ampharos just gets Loreal hair.

Because he's worth it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 11: Started from the Bottom

Let's finally complete our team before we basically end the game. Nickname by MissileWaster!

Before we head to Realgam Tower, we really need to prepare, so here's the hardest Story Colosseum to test our latest addition in. Oh yeah we're also purifying these Pokemon, as well as Piloswine, since it's a little tricky to see.

Colosseum Battle

The level disparity is pretty big, like the other colosseums, but we'll be facing pretty tough Pokemon. Not right now, it's still early, but it's an uphill struggle.

Garchump will spam Earthquake for the most part and our team will be able to accommodate that easily enough, but as a Vibrava, he's pretty frail and even with the Dragon Fang, Dragonbreath really doesn't do much. Sure, we're facing really strong Pokemon, but there's plenty of them in this game.

And for the love of god keep him away from Ice moves, jesus.

Remember that Twister has a chance to flinch? What a crazy world we live in.

Nothing too scary so far, but stupid Double Team will follow me to the ends of the earth.

Garchump nearly gets an OHKO, but hey, maybe later.

Well darn, it nearly stayed out the entire battle too.

Mawuh is not a fan of the final trainer, but really, who is?

Stop that.

Aw yeah, special attacking Sharpedo. That's the first round!

We're gonna need some money so we can stock up for the final area, and we also need some sweet TMs. Don't need Sandstorm, though, since it doesn't really do much compared to other weathers.

Anyway, Flygon time.

Perfect, now three of our team like the sun. Carbuncle can also get Morning Sun, but we've got items and he doesn't have the space for it anyway.

Don't bug me.

Why the hell does this Beautifly have Flying STAB in Gust? I forgot it even learned STAB moves.

Alright, smooth sailing so far. These Pokemon could be pretty deadly, since they're higher level, but we haven't encountered anything too deadly.

Meet something deadly. Grumpig is fast, hits hard, is pretty bulky and spreads the love. This third fight is real nasty.

Volbeat ain't no slouch either, having a strong attack in Signal Beam and of course outspeeds our entire team. Who knew 15 levels would make such a difference?

And to top it all off there's a Masquerain. While it doesn't do much offensively, it becomes annoyingly bulky with Intimidate and will quite happily sit there weakening your team to be knocked out by Grumpig.

Its attacks HURT, so we need to put that boy on a timer.

Since this was Venus's domain, her Attract strategy is everywhere, sucks that everyone is male so our team falls right into it.

We're gonna start seeing a lot more evolved Pokemon, which is a bit of a pain, we all know how good Politoed is.

Aside from that, we're just roasting some bugs.

Halfway through and we get a real nice TM! If you need some physical coverage, Sludge Bomb is great for that. Mawuh is the only one who can learn it, so we'll get rid of Psybeam, since it's not gonna cut it moving forward. Not like we're gonna need it, right?

gently caress. Well, Carbuncle is now our unique Psychic attacker.

But of course.

Sludge Bomb will also be nice dependable damage, as all of Mawuh's other moves are a wee bit inaccurate.

Ohoh, now that is a cheeky play.

Too bad it doesn't matter.

In fact, since this is such a Poison filled fight, let's bring out our shiny new toy.

Relatively bulky and deals a LOT of damage despite being a spread move. I love it.

Light Screen, eh?

The running theme of the LP is Carbuncle doesn't give a poo poo.

This is the whole reason for coming here: Shadow Ball. You need this move somewhere and Dhalsim is the perfect candidate, giving him excellent coverage where moments ago he had none. It is a hassle getting it though.

Oh look, a perfect example.

Now we don't have to kick Kadabra really hard, we can just throw shadows at it instead, it makes perfect sense!

Dhalsim takes a team apart, while Magnolia gets into a slugging match with a mushroom. Surprisingly comes out on top.

Okay he's not the perfect Ghost killer, some ghosts just do that too well, as we know.

What's the final trainer like?

Well, the Grumpig trainer was the hardest.

Our final TM is Iron Tail, if you need some more physical coverage. Garchump will only need Earthquake.

With all our cash, we can finally get some Revival Herbs! Oh boy are we gonna need them.

Finally, the rest of our money goes on Pokeballs. Don't stock up on healing items just yet if you've still got a few. I wonder if I got enough balls...

Realgam Tower

As far as final areas go, this is definitely different.

Well that's ominous. We've got three directions, so let's head left, I wonder what we'll find?

But, you know, we're not about to lose over and over to you. This time, I'll win. And I mean it this time. Let the music play! ...Oh, never mind that. We'll battle right away!

Miror B.'s Theme

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, best fictional character ever is back! Now for this battle the boring Cipher Admin theme will play, but we'll have enough of that going forward, since this is a boss rush! I know, it hasn't been that long since we faced some of the Admins, but for the most part, their teams are completely different, though the overall strategies remain similar.

There's some more Swift Swim and Rain Dish shenanigans, but he's not completely decked out with Ludicolo, alas.

Let's cut that bullshit right out.

Bit annoying, but our training in the Colosseums make us more than a match!

No

This Loudred has annoying type coverage. Oh well, Dhalsim will take care of it.

Oh boy.

Oh hey, it's the Sudowoodo replacement. This is your second opportunity to catch it, but there will be others if you wanna save your balls.

...was that an item? That makes you as evil as Justy!

Okay this Loudred has been on 1HP long enough, this is not a difficult fight.

Realgam Tower (The music is actually the Cipher encounter theme past the main entrance, but holy poo poo it makes this place even more boring than it already is, so no thanks)

This just won't do! But I'll admit you've beaten me thoroughly. Okay, since I'm done. I'll give you this. Here!

Think of that as a little gift from our great leader NASCOUR. Don't leave without it, because you'll get nowhere. But, you know, maybe it'd be for your own good if you didn't go on. Fuhohoho!

And off he goes again, where we'll see him next, no one knows. Anyway, from the entrance, we'll now head up.

It contains the healing machine and PC! (Ignore the old man, he's not important) Saves going to Phenac or something dumb. Alright, from the entrance, we'll head right.

Ah okay, hope you like empty rooms, this relatively simple maze has a few of them.

Cipher Admin Battle

Oh hey it's the buff boy. Last time we fought he could wreck us quite handily. What about now?

I think you know what's coming next.

Yeeeeeeep, this is why you need Reflect, cause Dakim's Earthquake users are pretty drat dangerous. He also mixes in Sunny Day, so his Fire attacks are gonna hurt and soften your Water attacks.

You should try and deal with Forretress asap, as they will try to use Explosion. Thankfully it also likes using Protect as well, so we'll see if we get asploded on.

If you thought Carbuncle wasn't being all that impressive with Psybeam... well guess what, he doesn't give a poo poo.

Alright, fair enough, that's one way to get through Reflect.

We're not strong enough to knock out the Earthquake user just yet, so incoming!

Well this is going swimmingly.

Might as well use the sun myself, since Magnolia really doesn't care about these Earthquakes.

Whatevs bruv.

Okay please stop doing that.

Alright, we've gone through Dakim's whole team while Forretress just sits there. Wonderful.

Like with Miror B., this battle could've gone a LOT smoother.

Okay, Forretress is now actually attacking and isn't using Explosion, that's great!

Tempting, but I'll stick with Hi Jump Kick like the fool I am.

And we didn't even need Fire Blast. Cool.

Realgam Tower

Now, take this. It's your passport to terror and despair!

If you're thinking of turning back, now's the time to do it. Go on home to Mommy! Daahahahah!

My mother's dead. Or in Johto. Either or.

Ah, then I shall be happy to take you. Oh? Where am I going to take you? Hohoho. Well, since you ask, you deserve a reply.

This man is not fun!

Oh yeah the boss battles in this area are pretty tough, but regular trainers are so ridiculously naff. Like our first Shadow Pokemon was level 30 and here we are, trainers only 10 levels above that? Well, I have gone through all the Colosseums and fought every trainer, imagine if I had gone through Mt. Battle with this team too. They gotta keep levels low, since exp is low overall and if you rush straight to the end, you'll be in trouble.

Anyway, off we go, past the healing room. Who's next?

...cool

Alright, more peons to fight, hopefully they're better than the last guy.

Even this late into the game, there's still plenty of Shadow Pokemon to obtain.

Sunflora, 120 catch rate (100%, low health, paralyzed, Great Ball), starting moves: Solarbeam, Ingrain, Growth, Shadow Rush/Sunny Day

The lategame Pokemon are pretty tricky to use, since there's some real nasty fights coming up and you'll want to purify these asap if you want to use them. If you're missing some coverage, or feel like a Pokemon here would be a nice upgrade, then go right ahead, but there's not a lot of battles left, so better make your final team choice fast. Sure, I waited quite a bit until Garchump, but he's very easily slotted onto the team no problem.

Oh yeah, Sunflora, it's a sun "sweeper", but something else should probably set it up first, while Sunflora protects. There's a lot of strong Pokemon and attacks flying about, so it's really fragile, even on the slightly better SpDef side of things. Outside of sun it's really slow, so hopefully Chlorophyll is enough to save you, a Solarbeam attacker is very useful, Magnolia is a very dependable member, but he can easily set up the sun himself. Aside from Solarbeam, you have an alright Sludge Bomb and then, uh, Light Screen? Safeguard? There's not a lot here, you missed out on Petal Dance by 8 levels, so Solarbeam is what you got.

We didn't get to use the sun this time around, but that's fine, Sunflora is a super easy catch. Not that I know, I don't look up catch rates before recording, though some you just know through being really good at games.

That's the way up cleared. But of course there's one more trainer.

So obviously you're the Fire themed dude, being right next to the Grass themed girl.

Nope! Here's another cool Shadow Pokemon to add to the pile. They're really bringing out the big guns.

Ice types? Fly? Like that's gonna be a proble-

Huh. Neat.

Delibird, 45 catch rate (50%, low health, paralyzed, Ultra Ball), starting moves: Fly, Present, Attract, Shadow Rush/Blizzard

...do I have to? Well, it's a bugger to catch if nothing else, but Delibird REALLY does not have the stats to join you. Sure, you could give it a go, but the best attack it'll get is Blizzard. No Water Pulse and no Aerial Ace cuts this mon's options by about 75%, I'd say, since it really can't do much else. Unless you grind Mt. Battle, you're not getting the Ice Beam TM, so just hope you hit and then get knocked out because christ these stats and weaknesses. In the early game, this would've had some real nice type coverage, but here, just before the final boss? Oh nonononono.

This took a bit to catch, which is not good, since I really want to conserve my balls in this place. Hell yeah I'm gonna keep making these jokes, they write themselves!

At the very top left of this area lies...

Oh god. I dunno if I can get lucky a second time.

Cipher Admin Battle

Okay phew, I led well despite not knowing her mons (even if I did who knows what she would choose), but Venus's team is a lot less deadly than it was in The Under. She can and will absolutely screw you over if you get unlucky, but hyper offense is just how I like it!

The bad romance begins.

Hopefully this works out though, or I'm gonna look real stupid.

Okay phew, that worked out quite nicely. Let's keep it up.

Hmm. I'll take it.

When the Venus pain train starts rolling, it is really difficult to get off, so let's hope this is the worst of it.

Well that was pretty drat lucky. Now for Garchump to finish off Bellossom!

Annnnnnnnny minute now.

Oh for- I dunno why I bother sometimes.

Here, take this thing away! For that, I want your silence that this battle never happened!

I shall forget that I ever battled with you. Yes, that's what I'll do. Ohohohoh!

Only one admin left to find! Where's he lurking?

There's a lot of travel time in this area. It would suck if we had to backtrack for some reason.

I hope you've changed, I did fight you like 300 images ago.

Well he's still using his Thunder + Rain Dance strategy, but added in some Lightningrod mons to catch you out. Also some better Water users, so this can be pretty tricky. Carbuncle, well, you know the joke.

Between Dragonbreath, Body Slam and Thunder Wave, we're pretty well equipped for the more tougher Shadow Pokemon that's ahead. Thankfully we didn't have another four to catch in this area, I'm ball starved enough.

Guys... double battles are really good.

The rain onslaught is a bit much, but we should be alright.

More Carbuncle food?

Oh hell yes. Slower than a Starmie, but faster than a Crobat, how neat.

No need to get rid of the rain.

The sun will always shine.

Realgam Tower

Here, use this. Go on, open the door with it.

Fufufu... what awaits beyond the door? Why, you should see with your own eyes!

Alright, nothing left to do but continue heading up the tower.

GAH, this feature is something I forget about!

But hey, let's go all the way back to Agate, hopefully it's worth it. Next time, the second floor of the tower beckons. And maybe... beyond???

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've gone, "eh, gently caress it" and decided to do all the Mt. Battle stuff in one update, so we've still got 10 more Pokemon to use for it!

For Areas 7-8, I'll be using Murkrow, Ariados, Sunflora, Piloswine and Raikou! What names have you got?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Murkrow - Quoth

I had suggestions for the other four as well, but realised before posting that I'm not funny.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raikou - Sylveon

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Black Robe posted:

Murkrow - Quoth

I'll second this one.

Wow, we're at the endgame already. I always forget how short the main story in this is, because inevitably when I play it I get caught up in grinding and keep going through the first half or so of Mt Battle until I get everything purified. That adds a lot of play time, I guess.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Black Robe posted:

Murkrow - Quoth

Raikou Repede

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Hopping on board with Murkrow being Quoth, and giving some suggestions of my own.

Sunflora - Flowey
Ariados - Twoface

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

Raikou - Sylveon

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Hopping on board with Murkrow being Quoth, and giving some suggestions of my own.

Sunflora - Flowey
Ariados - Twoface

I have nothing to add so I'll give my vote to these ones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Murkrow - Quoth
Ariados - Cher
Sunflora - Sunny
Piloswine - Pilofight
Raiku - Sylveon

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Call me old fashioned, but I like sticking to the theme. Raikou should be named Jolteon.

And I like Quoth the Murkrow.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Crosspeice posted:

But, you know, we're not about to lose over and over to you. This time, I'll win. And I mean it this time. Let the music play! ...Oh, never mind that. We'll battle right away!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, best fictional character ever is back! Now for this battle the boring Cipher Admin theme will play, but we'll have enough of that going forward, since this is a boss rush! I know, it hasn't been that long since we faced some of the Admins, but for the most part, their teams are completely different, though the overall strategies remain similar.
I was so disappointed when I started the Realgam Tower fight with Miror B. and his theme music didn't play. Realgam Tower is terrible for this reason alone, gimme that funky salsa music back!:mad:

quote:

Huh. Neat.
Garchump confirmed stronk, I didn't think it was possible to freeze a Pokemon that's X4 weak to ice without just fainting it instead.

Votes:
Raikou - Sylveon
Murkrow - Quoth
Sunflora - Flowey
Ariados - Twoface
Piloswine - Frozen Soul

E: Huh, isn't that only 5 Pokemon? Even with Raikou I don't think I'd feel safe attempting zones 7 and 8 with only 5 Pokemon.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 24, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

E: Huh, isn't that only 5 Pokemon? Even with Raikou I don't think I'd feel safe attempting zones 7 and 8 with only 5 Pokemon.

Pokemon you snag go into your party. We're about to face the main villains so...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's only 5 Pokemon since we're using Umbreoff as well.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 12: Middling Intermission

Agate Village

Saving the world can wait, an old man needs to see us!

We got it, but... it was cut off before we got to anything worthwhile, Grandpa.

Oh? Is that so? That's odd... well, since you're here, it would be just as well to tell you in person. Hohoho. I have a little something I'd like THOMAS to have. Please, take this.

Now, THOMAS, ANCA, it's time for you to go. Bring down the criminal syndicate threatening world peace.

Well I think that was worth it. Now is the time to resupply with healing items, since we're going straight to the end game. Since we have the infinite ball glitch, you should really use the Master Ball on all the remaining Shadow Pokemon left in the game, it'll save you money and sanity, but of course I'm not going to do that.

Realgam Tower

Alright, let's continue on. Oh it was fun backtracking through all those domes, not annoying at all.

Of course it's never that easy.

Okay, with levels that low it, uh, kinda is that easy.

Hmm, I've still got some Net Balls left...

But nah, let's get rid of the Master Ball immediately. No, I didn't clone it. Yes, I'm a crazy badass. I'll be using it more strategically in XD, as fun as it might be to instantly use it there too.

Heracross, 45 catch rate (100% with Master Ball. Just kidding, 78% chance, low health, Net Ball, paralyzed), starting moves: Brick Break, Counter, Endure, Shadow Rush/Reversal

By far one of the best Pokemon to use in this game, if you really, really haven't gotten anything to finish of your team, or you have a physical attacker that's just not cutting it anymore, then god drat this thing is a monster. Sure, not having Megahorn sucks, but at least you'll get it postgame, while being frustratingly close in the endgame, so it needs Earthquake to deal some nice coverage damage. Brick Break will easily do you unless you want to get fancy with Focus Punch or Reversal. The Salac Berry is in this game, but you'll be able to buy it as the last thing you can do in the game, so hey, you can surprise your friends with that deadly combo. Otherwise, while it's bulky, there's a lot of heavy hitting mons around, especially those with Psychic and Flying moves, so it's a risky venture, but Heracross is really good. Use it if you have something to dump.

Finally, the base of the tower. This seems to be where most challengers are hanging. Also gah I guess, I started writing this sentence before noticing the email notification.

We've caught around 35 Shadow Pokemon, so yeah, I'd say there's more.

You are the thousandth guest to enter REALGAM TOWER since its opening! Yeah, like, as if. We just opened today. So that's not likely!

Everyone in Orre is so mean...

Okay I was worried Nuzleaf was gonna explode (since it learns that move as a Seedot in RS), but nope, just a Fake Out. Also drat, this is the first regular optional Story trainer we've faced since... The Under? There's gonna be quite a few.

Boi just got the freakin double!

Alright well that was a fun strategy. That was sarcasm, oh yeah!

Heheh. I bet I made you happy when I said you were the thousandth guest. Isn't that right?

I could tell I could battle you, since you weren't like every other receptionist in the game. Though of course it's still a female receptionist.

Since you bothered to come, you may as well enjoy yourselves. Hohoho.

You're lucky. Before anyone, I'll show you how skilled I am at battling!

Man, do any of these trainers have strong Pokemon?

Well it's something.

Our goal is the tube behind that dumb looking guard, but let's head into the side rooms first.

Holy poo poo a guy with sight. Haven't seen that since... Pyrite Cave? Oh god.

Hehehe. I've been hoping that I'd get a shot at battling you. Let's see this high-level battling that everyone's been talking about!

Sure thing buddy.

You're on the other side, but I still have to hand it to you!

But you need bait to get the attention of people like that. Something big and exciting. Yep, you guessed it. SHADOW POKEMON battles!

Wonderful.

WONDERFUL

Ah well, it was all part of the plan.

There's gonna be some real exciting battles coming up, let me tell you!

...the Pokemart employee?

You Snagged my BAYLEEF back then! Yeah, you remember now! Well, pal, today's the day! It's payback time!

If we had missed out on Magnolia at the start of the game, then NOW is when we could have another chance of capturing him again. Unlike most Shadow Pokemon trainers, the skittle peons don't replace the starter if you catch it.

Alright, to the other side, nothing in this room anymore, despite looking like there should be. In this game about villains fighting villains in a miserable hellscape, even gambling is a step too far.

That's not important, though. The word is that CIPHER's boss is waiting for the both of you at the top of the TOWER. And, he's supposed to have the ultimate SHADOW POKEMON! THOMAS, ANCA! Good luck, and please be careful always!

Yeah yeah yeah, we'll do that in a minute. Let's see what's behind this door first. But wait, I didn't open it?

I've been waiting behind the door for you to come along. Been waiting a looong time! Next, I'll shock you even more with my POKEMON battle!

I suppose the good thing of Dhalsim constantly fainting is I'm always having it up front and sometimes it gets some good match ups.

Do you know how hard it is to just wait and wait and wait without moving. Try imagining it. Now think about it, eh? I doubt very much that you could keep at it for long! Wahaha!

Cmon, don't let this be the FIFTH LP where I can't eat anything. But at the same time, I think I could keep this joke up for my entire Pokemon SSLP career, which says a lot about Pokemon society.

Some opening day this is.

You know this game uses crazy far out there Pokemon when a trainer has a Chimecho.

While this isn't challenging, we are really going to need these levels. Like the final boss is gonna be this weak.

Alright, fun time's over, here's where poo poo gets real.

My name is NASCOUR. Do you remember? The time that we met in PHENAC CITY? I did have the feeling that I would one day face you in battle... but I never imagined that you would be the one to seek me out here. Very soon, we will be ready to greet your arrival in style. I will go ahead and wait for you. Don't keep me waiting for too long.

Of course, we're not fighting the final boss just yet.

One more naff trainer for the road. This is the last one, promise.

This is your last opportunity to save and heal. Are you ready? If you don't know what's coming, then I can definitely say you aren't.

Oh nevermind, guess we're stuck.

You're not going to break my heart and tell me you've forgotten my face, are you now?

That face! It can't be... TEAM SNAGEM! But why here?

Even if you don't want to believe it, you're absolutely right, little lady! I'm GONZAP, the boss of TEAM SNAGEM. And don't you forget it! Did you ask what I'm doing here?

Yes. Isn't this CIPHER's HEADQUARTERS? TEAM SNAGEM shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Uhehe. Well, surprise, surprise. We do have a lot to do with this, missy. We were just thieves before we got hold of the SNAG MACHINES. And where did we get them? From CIPHER. What they wanted was this: Go Snag superior-grade POKEMON from trainers everywhere!

What?! So this is all one big plot hatched by CIPHER?

That's what I'm saying. Aren't you the brainy one, missy. Master NASCOUR's waiting for you upstairs, but you've got me to deal with first. We've got a little score to settle here. It's time you paid up for wrecking our HIDEOUT and wiping out TEAM SNAGEM! Don't get any ideas about beating me! Gwaahahah!

VS Gonzap

Double Dark types is really bad for Carbuncle and while Crawdaunt doesn't know any Dark moves, I don't know that when recording. But I see a Solarbeam target.

Sure I activated Shiftry's Cholorophyll, but that's not gonna matter, right?

Right.

Haha, just kidding, we're hosed. I'm trying to conserve items for the final few fights, so I won't be reviving Pokemon unless I absolutely have to.

Gonzap is a drat though fight since he's all about hyper offense, like me, and I know how deadly that strat is. Like they gave Pinsir Cut just so it would have all attacking moves.

Good, great, awesome, outstanding, AMAZING

Still that's what Garchump is here for.

Hey, remember that Skarmory in the opening cutscene? Here it is.

Alright, time to start breaking out the Revival Herbs. Best item in the series.

I knew it would be a safe switch since Garchump is low health and the AI loves a dogpile.

Ah poo poo. I really don't want to use more of these herbs, but I might not have much choice.

Skarmory, 25 catch rate (28%, low health, paralyzed, Ultra Ball), starting moves: Steel Wing, Air Cutter, Metal Sound, Shadow Rush/Drill Peck

This is your last chance to replace something before the postgame, since anything else you might happen to obtain before the postgame can only be a Shadow Pokemon. Yeah, it sucks going alllllllll the way back to Relic Forest, but Skarmory is a really good pick before the final fights. Something very tanky that takes no shits from most moves AND can contribute with STAB? It's an excellent choice, since any Flying type before Gen 4 is worth your time if it knows Drill Peck. Then it's Brave Bird. Power creep, huh? Anyway, the only moves it can really use are Toxic and Protect, as the rest of its moveset is pretty nice, since even Metal Sound will be quite clutch. With healing items and the Sharp Beak it comes with, it'll stay around forever and deal some nasty damage while it does so. If you were using another Flying type before now, well, it's garbage, cause Skarmory is king.

poo poo, Skarmory was breaking out of too many Pokeballs and we REALLY need them, so I'm just going to reload from a save, since there is no way in hell I'm heading all the way back to Outskirt Stand. That's how tight the endgame is gonna be.

Shadow Pokemon Resets: 6 7

While that's scary, we paralyze it unlike last time. So we should be able to catch it easily.

Eh, it'll do.

You, me, and the SNAG MACHINE... we can do whatever we please. The world will be ours, hey? ...yes? Humph. I can tell when you're just joshing me. But that doesn't matter anymore... there's no going back for you now. Get going.

We've gotta heal and save, cause next time, it's the final Colosseum. You're not ready.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, tomorrow is the final story update, what a small, but amazing game. I hope you've been enjoying it as much as I have, but since this game is pretty short, I've actually come across a problem my other LPs didn't really have: lots of voting. Sure, it's on me for wanting to use 50 Shadow Pokemon for Mt. Battle, but sometimes it does feel like the constant nicknames and voting for stuff means we don't just talk about the game. I'm not too sure what to do about this, since nickname suggestions are great and not something I can do in a strawpoll or something. Maybe it won't be a problem since I think Colosseum is gonna be one of my shortest LPs for a while.

In any case, I want to undercut what I've just talked about... by doing a vote. See, this is something I'm not too sure about, so what do you guys think? While it hasn't come up yet, it will in the next update and in XD: we'll be encountering multiple Shadow Pokemon in a row without the ability to just go back and save before the previous trainer. Now, I'm using savestates inbetween the multiple battles, but if I need to reset in that instance for a Shadow Pokemon...

Say I'm on the third trainer in a row, and I accidentally knock out the Shadow Pokemon. It's no big deal, I made a savestate after beating the second trainer, so I'm not forced to reset to a PC, or to a savestate before I started the multiple trainers in a row. For the Shadow Pokemon Reset Counter, should we count this instance as me only going back to my savestate, so I only increase the counter by 1 every time, or is it from the last time I properly saved, therefore having to go and capture the first and second Shadow Pokemon again, therefore increasing the counter multiple times at once. I won't actually be doing that, I'll be reloading the save state from the end of the second trainer to save on tedium, but it'll be as if I had to restart from my last save. So what do you guys prefer? The first, simple option, or the second more complicated option that'll make the counter go up much faster?

After all, is this what you were expecting when you posted your number? Did you expect me to just endlessly savestate and not wrack up much with the counter, or were you remembering the multiple times you had to reset for a Shadow Pokemon, but forgot you hadn't saved in a while and therefore had to catch multiple Pokemon again?

Oh yeah, we'll be going with Quoth the Murkrow, Flowey the Sunflora, FrozenSoul the Piloswine, Twoface the Ariados and Sylveon the Raikou.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I don't have a horse in this race, but the simple option seems, well, simpler.

Completely unrelated, but I love some of the trainer classes in this. Bandana Guy! He's a guy, with a bandana!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gonzap is literally Whitebeard and I love him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Keep it simple

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Simple

I assume that most people, myself included, thought that you would be doing it the simple way when we voted.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh Gonzap they sure...didn't know what to do with you, did they.

By the way, are you hard up for cash or something? I don't remember needing to be so conservative with cash that I had so few pokeballs & healing items.

also keep it simple

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Crosspeice posted:

After all, is this what you were expecting when you posted your number? Did you expect me to just endlessly savestate and not wrack up much with the counter, or were you remembering the multiple times you had to reset for a Shadow Pokemon, but forgot you hadn't saved in a while and therefore had to catch multiple Pokemon again?
A little of both actually, plus the part coming up next that you're not going to be cheesing with a Master Ball (you poor soul).

I wouldn't mind a compromise of going with the simple version while having the more complicated number in parenthesis. I don't really care about winning a prize, I just wanna know if I'm right.:colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

rannum posted:

By the way, are you hard up for cash or something? I don't remember needing to be so conservative with cash that I had so few pokeballs & healing items.

Healing items can be a surprising drain on your cash and OP blew his on revive herbs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

The last segment of the game coming up is absolutely obnoxious and near-impossible without a good stock of Revives.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been liberally using money more and more in my LPs, mainly cause I'm catching drat near anything. Any money I have left before the final boss is blown on Revival Herbs. I've been buying a fair few TMs and Pokeballs. Money is just short in this game, but I could very easily rematch trainers endlessly for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My estimate is going to be way off. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

My estimate is going to be way off. :negative:

i mean a shitton of people voted so everyone's estimate is gonna be off. But i was counting on the simple option, as in "how many times I will fail to catch a shadow Pokemon", doesn't matter where the saves at.

• Locked thread