Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I crossposted this from Alberta AI.

Pisspoor footage but a few days after the last ice race we took the UTV's out onto Clairmont lake.

They have 2 tracks, a 5.5km track for motorcycles and a 7km track for ATV/UTV's. We were having way too much fun to film but I stopped and filmed my dad in his rzr 570 a couple times. It's funny how slow it looks on video vs how fast it seems when you're fighting traction. Of course it would've been much quicker with tire screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NE2T4T2sWo

Here is a highlights from the previous weekend

https://www.facebook.com/wapitioffroad/videos/1721056524646750/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
hey this discussion is relevant to me. this was me doing the exact same poo poo a year ago, only i was completely unaware it was a snowmobile track - i thought i was on a hardpacked forest service road. i'm still embarassed.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Road signs don't change with the seasons. A gravel road that's used by 2wd sedans in July to get to the lake for a sunny afternoon is a medium-difficulty snowmobile track in January but the road signs are still warning about lower suggested speed limits on the twisty corners so you don't dump your Oldsmobile into the raspberry bushes. Mapping software - Google maps, Garmin, other GPS devices - has gotten pretty good these last few years but it's still about 99% accurate, where the remaining 1% is exactly this kind of thing. I wish my GPS would let me provide feedback to Garmin so the local knowledge I get retrospectively ("You shouldna gone there. Why didn't you stick to th' number 8?") could be applied to future updates. Google sending a camera car down the road to show the pretty fall colours is not particularly useful for answering questions I'm asking in February.

But that's why this is fun! Push the envelope (when the envelope is made of snow and you're pushing the drift with your bumper).

Where were/are you, Admiral Bosch?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Google is actually pretty good. I use waze almost all of the time when I'm in the US. But when I'm in Canada I often use the Garmin. Verizon lets you pay $5/day to use your phone in Canada, but not all carries give me data (Telus), so it's just easier to use the Garmin. It's what almost got me in trouble going down a snowmobile trail in Quebec in January.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

ExecuDork posted:

Road signs don't change with the seasons. A gravel road that's used by 2wd sedans in July to get to the lake for a sunny afternoon is a medium-difficulty snowmobile track in January but the road signs are still warning about lower suggested speed limits on the twisty corners so you don't dump your Oldsmobile into the raspberry bushes. Mapping software - Google maps, Garmin, other GPS devices - has gotten pretty good these last few years but it's still about 99% accurate, where the remaining 1% is exactly this kind of thing. I wish my GPS would let me provide feedback to Garmin so the local knowledge I get retrospectively ("You shouldna gone there. Why didn't you stick to th' number 8?") could be applied to future updates. Google sending a camera car down the road to show the pretty fall colours is not particularly useful for answering questions I'm asking in February.

But that's why this is fun! Push the envelope (when the envelope is made of snow and you're pushing the drift with your bumper).

Where were/are you, Admiral Bosch?

Colorado; that was up near Rabbit Ears Pass on the way to Steamboat. There /is/ a forest service road... but it ends after about a quarter mile... right next to a snowmobile touring lodge... which I missed. Whoops. I made it probably a solid mile and a half, maybe two, down the snowpack before I took a turnoff and promptly sunk. The guy who ran the tours dragged me out with his snowcat and didn't charge me, even though pulling that truck through completely wrecked his track and he had to spend the whole night fixing it. I felt so loving bad. This past spring around the same time I was in the area again and I stopped by with a nice bottle of liquor, but he wasn't working that day :/ still left it for him, though.

edit: he told me there wasn't even a path underneath all the snow in the summer months. Apparently the spot I got stuck over(about five feet off the ground) was a creekbed.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Took the New Old Girl, wife and the husky out to the beaches in the stormy weather we had over the weekend. This is my 3rd Subaru and one of my favorites so far. Even though it's a 2003, I took this over from my mother in law and it had only 25,000 miles on it, now at 31,000. I'm going to drive this till the wheels come off.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

New to his world - looking to get into some camping spots and down some logging trails. Against all wisdom I’ve been taking my 2010 Kia Soul down these paths and I need to stop.

I’ve been looking for a Suzuki samurai but of course they come at a premium price these days, so I’ve been looking at trackers / sidekicks as well. Got a budget of about 3000

Currently looking at
https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/6554641701.html

(Engine)
https://imgur.com/a/6boca

And then on the samurai front it’s hard finding anything in my price, but there’s this, but I’m so new to all this I’m not sure what any of this means
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1986-suzuki-samurai-rebuilt/6550574075.html

And this guy outside my budget but if I save... it’s not far from me. I bet I could fix the speedometer right?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/really-clean-suzuki-samurai/6549628342.html

Any thoughts? I’d prefer something unaltered so I can learn the ropes but I’m ok if it’s already been tinkered with

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 16, 2018

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

That first sami seems like a good deal for one with a few things already done, and as long as the work on it was done well, should stay fairly trouble free while you learn the ropes. The 2nd one is almost too nice to beat on, and you'd probably end up wanting to do some of the same mods on it that were already done on the 1st one - the locker, t-case gears, winch, etc.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Paulie posted:

That first sami seems like a good deal for one with a few things already done, and as long as the work on it was done well, should stay fairly trouble free while you learn the ropes. The 2nd one is almost too nice to beat on, and you'd probably end up wanting to do some of the same mods on it that were already done on the 1st one - the locker, t-case gears, winch, etc.

Good insight here. I did some emailing. The tracker seems in good shape with no major issues as per email. The first samurai has expired tags and he dropped off after I asked if it’d pass emissions :/ no response to questions on the other samurai.

Again I prefer a samurai but what kind of trouble would I be looking at doing an inch lift + good/bigger tires on the tracker?

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 17, 2018

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Coldrice posted:

Good insight here. I did some emailing. The tracker seems in good shape with no major issues as per email. The first samurai has expired tags and he dropped off after I asked if it’d pass emissions :/ no response to questions on the other samurai.

Again I prefer a samurai but what kind of trouble would I be looking at doing an inch lift + good/bigger tires on the tracker?

I'm looking into Sammys, Sidekicks, and XJs for a vehicle I'm less concerned about beating up than the Xterra (it's our primary transportation too) and as much as I love the Suzukis, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't consider XJs, if only for the cheap parts and massive aftermarket.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

I'm looking into Sammys, Sidekicks, and XJs for a vehicle I'm less concerned about beating up than the Xterra (it's our primary transportation too) and as much as I love the Suzukis, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't consider XJs, if only for the cheap parts and massive aftermarket.

I agree but the market out here in the northwest is just bone dry :/ I usually search for an xj before I look at anything else

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems like good used cars cost so much now it makes more sense to buy new especially something like a Tacoma that you can utterly ruin off-road for twenty years and still see actual appreciation

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

shovelbum posted:

It seems like good used cars cost so much now it makes more sense to buy new especially something like a Tacoma that you can utterly ruin off-road for twenty years and still see actual appreciation

This depends largely on how well that particular model held up imho. Like the Tacoma you mentioned, the 1st and 2nd gen before the name are worth more than equivalent condition newer ones because they are just so good. 4th and 5th gen Civics with independent rear suspension all light and pre crash testing are super valuable but no one cares at all about an EK hatch. C10s get muscle car prices but you can't give squarebody away. There are a whole lot note examples but I'm bored. Point is you can't just buy a new car and assume it's going to appreciate, it only works if you think a particular car is just so fuckin cool that it'll be outstanding from a historical perspective which does not happen much and is hard to predict

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought the c10 was the squarebody ? Or does squarebody refer to the earlier late 60's version.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Squarebody refers to the 1973-87ish trucks. During that run they moved from C10 to C1500.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

Squarebody refers to the 1973-87ish trucks. During that run they moved from C10 to C1500.

Except for the 86 k30 which became the 87 v30 and continued a few years into the 90's. My dad had one. 180hp TBI 350, th400 trans and crew cab long box.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Recently went on a wheelin day trip at Uwharrie with some other Isuzus, and brought my oldest (who is 6). It's his second time on a ride and although it got gnarly a few times, he was a ...wait for it... trooper :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EEG5tP6Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG1QzC6Vrs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun_c6Va3mY

You'll see in the first couple vids, my front locker wasn't locked. It's an OX and I just needed to adjust the cable a little and it was good to go later. I need deeper gears, less lift, bigger tires, and hydro assist steering and then maybe I'll be happy. But it gets me around ok for now :)

I essentially used the drive down to finish breaking in the engine I just swapped in, a GM iron head 60* 3.4 v6 out of a mid 90's camaro, which took the place of the old original 2.8. A modest increase in power, and with the 5.38's it goes about like stock although it weighs probably 1000lb heavier and pushes a lot more wind. No problems out of it. I am going to see if I can mod the PS pump for a little better steering at idle to tide me over until I can drop $ on having a box tapped and ported for assist.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

jonathan posted:

I thought the c10 was the squarebody ? Or does squarebody refer to the earlier late 60's version.

Squarebody is specifically referring to the third generation Chevrolet and GMC full-size pickups and SUVs, as IOwnCalculus said, that ran from 1973-1987 (mostly, squarebody Suburbans, Blazers, and Jimmys were produced until 1991, I think). The C/K Series trucks ran for 40ish years from 1960-2000ish, when GM switched to the fifth generation GMT800 platform, and stopped referring to the trucks as Cs or Ks and instead started just calling all Chevy's Silverados and GMCs Sierras. Oh also the R/V Series was for the 1987 model year, the last of the third generation and a transition year where R-series meant 2wd and V-series meant 4wd. That naming convention lasted until '91

By the way, Silverado and Sierra were just trim level names for third gens, along with Custom, Custom Deluxe, Super Custom, Cheyenne, Sierra, Cheyenne Super, Sierra Grande, Scottsdale, High Sierra, Silverado, and Sierra Classic.

Confusing enough?

Chevy called their 1/2 ton the C10 or K10, the 3/4 ton the C20 or K20, and the 1 ton the C30 or K30 for the whole third generation, except 1987. GMC on the other hand, called them c/k 1500s, 2500s, and 3500s, which carried over into later generations also.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2018

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Paulie posted:

Recently went on a wheelin day trip at Uwharrie with some other Isuzus, and brought my oldest (who is 6). It's his second time on a ride and although it got gnarly a few times, he was a ...wait for it... trooper :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EEG5tP6Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG1QzC6Vrs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun_c6Va3mY

You'll see in the first couple vids, my front locker wasn't locked. It's an OX and I just needed to adjust the cable a little and it was good to go later. I need deeper gears, less lift, bigger tires, and hydro assist steering and then maybe I'll be happy. But it gets me around ok for now :)

I essentially used the drive down to finish breaking in the engine I just swapped in, a GM iron head 60* 3.4 v6 out of a mid 90's camaro, which took the place of the old original 2.8. A modest increase in power, and with the 5.38's it goes about like stock although it weighs probably 1000lb heavier and pushes a lot more wind. No problems out of it. I am going to see if I can mod the PS pump for a little better steering at idle to tide me over until I can drop $ on having a box tapped and ported for assist.

What size tires are you running here?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Confusing enough?

Ok yeah so my understanding is seemingly correct. The post I was responding to had me self doubting. My understanding aligns with yours.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Kastivich posted:

What size tires are you running here?

35x12.50/17

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Question for the 4x4 thread, if I'm looking at pre-84 Jeeps (for emissions reasons, mostly) should I just accept that anything inexpensive is gonna have holes rusted in the floors? Diamond plate on the corners and rockers just means that rusted out already, right? Seems like $5k around here will get a CJ-5 that runs ok, as long as you're ok with some rust spots.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I dunno about rusty jeeps but does the current trend to refer to 4wd trips and road trips as "overland" "expeditions" rip anyone else's undies?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Pham Nuwen posted:

Question for the 4x4 thread, if I'm looking at pre-84 Jeeps (for emissions reasons, mostly) should I just accept that anything inexpensive is gonna have holes rusted in the floors? Diamond plate on the corners and rockers just means that rusted out already, right? Seems like $5k around here will get a CJ-5 that runs ok, as long as you're ok with some rust spots.

Rust is pretty much a constant on those. It sucks but you can either pay more or get lucky.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I dunno about rusty jeeps but does the current trend to refer to 4wd trips and road trips as "overland" "expeditions" rip anyone else's undies?

I think overland expeditions are awesome. But weekend trips on established trails definitely do not count. The camel trophy and artic expeditions are what I want to read about. Not driving down a poorly maintained road in a park.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

I think overland expeditions are awesome. But weekend trips on established trails definitely do not count. The camel trophy and artic expeditions are what I want to read about. Not driving down a poorly maintained road in a park.

yeah it's the incorrect use of the terms that annoys me. ~*overland expedition*~ would imply a journey of some length, where an alternative method of transport is available to reach the destination, and to me, generally an "expedition" implies some form of journey where there is a purpose beyond "travel". I could consider a 4wd trip to access an area for hunting an expedition, or to climb a mountain, or something along those lines.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I just read the book written about this expedition which was neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_and_Cambridge_Far_Eastern_Expedition

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We live in a time where superlatives are the only thing that get noticed so of course people are gonna upsell their gravel road detour if they think it'll get them more likes/views/whatevers.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Everyone wanna be an Instagram hero

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Expedition" is overselling a lot of it for sure but seems like there's a useful distinction to be made. To me it's shorthand for taking your 4wd camping but instead of camping somewhere and then going on 4wd trails, getting to the campsite is the 4wd-ing part. Like the difference between mountain biking and bikepacking. I think maybe it's tougher to find routes in the CONUS that make doing it seem like much of an adventure though so a lot of it winds up being things I could do in a fiesta.

Along the lines of overland and expedition, I've been watching a ton of this australian 4wd youtube channel over the past few weeks. Think it's been posted before but I'd forgotten about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBSX2AGIP_4

ili
Jul 26, 2003

powderific posted:

Along the lines of overland and expedition, I've been watching a ton of this australian 4wd youtube channel over the past few weeks. Think it's been posted before but I'd forgotten about it:

These blokes give me the fucken shits hey. Not as bad as those all4wd wankers but still. Dunno why, old mate just seems a bit too chirpy while flogging their china import gear.

That said they've got a video doing the old tele track in a $1000 hilux which was decent.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe being from the middle of nowhere USA gives me enough distance for it to seem fun and novel instead of annoying, ha.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

4WD action are kinda wankers but still an order of magnitude less punishing than Expedition Overland. Really the only watchable YouTube 4wd channels to me are Ronny Dahl and 4WD Action and they both can be pretty lovely

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't even make it through an episode of Expedition Overland. The overwrought, super serious VO from a guy who sounds like he just learned to read but wants to be some kind of travel film auteur is the worst part for me.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’m doing a 5000km trip in the next three weeks and about 1200km of those are in sealed roads. Think that counts as an expedition.

Adelaide to Alice Springs via the Oodnadatta track and Old Andado Track, then Alice to Birdsville via the Plenty Highway, Hay River Track and Simpson Desert, then back to Adelaide via the Birdsville Track and Flinders Ranges. Gonna be epic fun

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

powderific posted:

"Expedition" is overselling a lot of it for sure but seems like there's a useful distinction to be made. To me it's shorthand for taking your 4wd camping but instead of camping somewhere and then going on 4wd trails, getting to the campsite is the 4wd-ing part. Like the difference between mountain biking and bikepacking. I think maybe it's tougher to find routes in the CONUS that make doing it seem like much of an adventure though so a lot of it winds up being things I could do in a fiesta.

I've been binging the poo poo out of them to hahah.

They really sell the lifestyle well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

They got themselves pretty much banned from Tasmanian national parks and fined too for tearing the poo poo out of management tracks they weren’t meant to be on and then being stupid enough to record it.

I’ve seen videos of them going through bogholes pretending to be on track and you can see the track in the background, so all they’re doing is tearing the gently caress out of the landscape for TV, which is fine for their little convoy of 3 cars, but then every flog with a GQ patrol and chinese 35” muddies thinks that’s cool and goes and does it EVERYWHERE and makes tracks totally impassable for anything smaller than a mog...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Ferremit posted:

They got themselves pretty much banned from Tasmanian national parks and fined too for tearing the poo poo out of management tracks they weren’t meant to be on and then being stupid enough to record it.

I’ve seen videos of them going through bogholes pretending to be on track and you can see the track in the background, so all they’re doing is tearing the gently caress out of the landscape for TV, which is fine for their little convoy of 3 cars, but then every flog with a GQ patrol and chinese 35” muddies thinks that’s cool and goes and does it EVERYWHERE and makes tracks totally impassable for anything smaller than a mog...

ROIGHT SEAN-O????

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

I made it to 16 of the 20 National Parks of Tasmania during my 4 months there, half a decade ago, and anybody who abuses those amazing places needs to stay the gently caress out of Tassie. There's no shortage of great 4WD tracks to have fun on that won't ruin it for everyone else.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

QUIT RUINING MY FUN

But legit, that's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Live somewhere that gets heavy snow, then no one cares because all your evidence melts in April.