Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
What are the preferred components to make a black oil wash? Van Dyke brown and ultramarine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheBigAristotle posted:

The redemptor dread's CCW is fantastic

Sure. Or for about the same points you could bring a relic contemptor with a chainfist, I'd take AP-4 D4 over AP-3 Dd6.

The melee of a redemptor is incidental because it's geared towards hurting big stuff but you want it to mainly be hosing stuff down with gatling cannons from a distance. It's a pretty weird choice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

True. I'd probably do the airbrushed Nuln, a drybrush of Necron compound, then an oil wash for the recesses if I were going for a really solid look. Or maybe use a Vallejo acrylic rust wash in the recesses.

I was thinking of something similar to this for my Knights. Base coat of VMA Steel, drybrush of VMA silver, and then wash of AP Dark Tone.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

What are the preferred components to make a black oil wash? Van Dyke brown and ultramarine?

I usually use lamp black

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Booley posted:

I usually use lamp black

Same here

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hamshot posted:

When known greenstuff-tittyman nazi defending Lord Aba is the only one defending you, you must know you hosed up somewhere along the line.

Pretty much!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Sure. Or for about the same points you could bring a relic contemptor with a chainfist, I'd take AP-4 D4 over AP-3 Dd6.

The melee of a redemptor is incidental because it's geared towards hurting big stuff but you want it to mainly be hosing stuff down with gatling cannons from a distance. It's a pretty weird choice.

I should have been more specific, I just meant it looks cool as gently caress, I don't have a Redemptor so I don't really know how it performs

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The contemptor is my favorite dread model, but the redemptor comes pretty close for looks. It's just hard to justify me buying one right now when I'm still buying models that I want to use on the table, a redemptor for me would be purely a modeling project like one of my scale model kits.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Maneck posted:

Only to make happy little marines.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

The contemptor is my favorite dread model, but the redemptor comes pretty close for looks. It's just hard to justify me buying one right now when I'm still buying models that I want to use on the table, a redemptor for me would be purely a modeling project like one of my scale model kits.

I mean, it’s overcosted but perfectly functional for friendly games. I wouldn’t be quite that down on it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

I mean, it’s overcosted but perfectly functional for friendly games. I wouldn’t be quite that down on it.

Okay? I mean if you ignore the point costs every model is functional for friendly games. I'd rather be using my warglaives than a redemptor.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Contemptors are aggressively ugly and don't fit the marine aesthetic so fight me. :colbert:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Contemptors are aggressively ugly and don't fit the marine aesthetic so fight me. :colbert:

ok this is too far

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

This is worse than nazi tanks

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I agree if we’re talking the plastic Contemptor because that thing sucks, but the FW ones are great!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

How strictly is WYSIWYG enforced?

I am thinking of making Custodian Guards hold both guardian spear and the shield as I really like the looks of that, though of course in terms of actual play they are only using the spear.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Weissritter posted:

I am thinking of making Custodian Guards hold both guardian spear and the shield as I really like the looks of that, though of course in terms of actual play they are only using the spear.

YMMV. I usually care about it to the extent that it impacts play. If you have a guy with a power fist and a guy with a power sword and one of them dies, I should be able to tell which one's still around by looking. I don't think I'd care about what you're suggesting.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Weissritter posted:

Can you magnetize it to remove it whenever someone complains?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Weissritter posted:

WYSIWYG is not a rule, and has not been for at least two editions. Make your mans how you like. As long as you're clear upfront what they are equipped with then no one should care outside of a competitive setting. Even then, if they can't use the shield when they have the spear, it's pretty obvious what you're doing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Weissritter posted:

This isn't bad. It's bad when it is confusing. Like "this squad has flamethrowers but they count as meltaguns but THIS squad squad has flamethrowers that count as flamethrowers". In which case they are usually in transports and magically switch depending on what the user is shooting at.

I always say it is fine to be wrong, as long as you are consistently wrong.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am only against it when the lack of clarity results in problems. Confusion of what your threats are, and what your casualties are.

"No, that guy didn't have the Lascannon! That's just a shoulder mounted bolter. The Lascannon is this thing over here in this squad."

If your model can easily be confused as something with a completely different "value" it's a problem.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The issue you'll run into is if you ever do want to mix actual stormshields into the unit, which you very well may as it can help make the unit a bit more durable. At that point things start to get a little muddled for your opponent but otherwise I don't see any reason at all not to just model your dudes as you see fit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm going as close to WYSIWYG with my Deathwatch so I don't drive myself insane

Speaking of which, my storm bolters and chainswords from eBay came in today, and the first 5 I put together look friggin great. Got one in a particularly cool pose, IMO:

(and before you get all antsy, I will be drilling the barrels when I get to painting them)

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Gunder posted:

Rules question: If you’re super-charging plasma weapons and roll a 1, does the Gravis Captain’s reroll bonus let you avoid those mortal wounds/insta-death?

Similar question to this one: The Protector Doctrina Imperative strategem doesn't block the 1=mortal wound, because you check after rerolls but before modifiers, correct?

If that's the case, how does the Conqueror Doctrina Imperative strategem (basically the same but for fighting instead of shooting) interact with a Dragoon's Taser Lance: "Each hit roll of 6+ with this weapon causes 3 hits rather than 1"? Triple hit on 4+? If so, what indicates that this one happens after modifiers and plasma weapons before modifiers?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Similar question to this one: The Protector Doctrina Imperative strategem doesn't block the 1=mortal wound, because you check after rerolls but before modifiers, correct?

If that's the case, how does the Conqueror Doctrina Imperative strategem (basically the same but for fighting instead of shooting) interact with a Dragoon's Taser Lance: "Each hit roll of 6+ with this weapon causes 3 hits rather than 1"? Triple hit on 4+? If so, what indicates that this one happens after modifiers and plasma weapons before modifiers?

I believe you check plasma after modifiers. If the unit you're targeting is -2 to hit and you supercharge your plasma, you're going to get zapped on rolls of 1,2, and 3. That's that I've been seeing.

Edit: Doing some research, it looks like it goes Rolls -> Rerolls -> Modifiers -> Abilities

So, you roll your die, reroll any applicable die, apply modifiers, and then resolve the abilities.

So yes, your Dragoons will triple hit on 4+.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 26, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks for the responses.

Going to try magnetization first, if not, then I will just be consistent about it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I don't care about WYSIWYG, but I need to be able to tell that X, Y, and Z are different unit/models/weapons without referencing your personal legend.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Weissritter posted:

Having a lot of affection for this idea myself, my suggestion is remove the shields on your spears whenever you plan on running concurrent with the proper sword & board dudes, so magnets are your friend here

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

EvilBeard posted:

I believe you check plasma after modifiers. If the unit you're targeting is -2 to hit and you supercharge your plasma, you're going to get zapped on rolls of 1,2, and 3. That's that I've been seeing.

Edit: Doing some research, it looks like it goes Rolls -> Rerolls -> Modifiers -> Abilities

So, you roll your die, reroll any applicable die, apply modifiers, and then resolve the abilities.

So yes, your Dragoons will triple hit on 4+.

Okay, cool. Good to know there is a consistent order in which those two happen.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Duct Tape posted:

Positive modifiers make you immune to plasma death. 1s always miss, but they don't always kill you. It's p. useful on the like 2 units in the game which can reliably get hit bonuses and want to overcharge plasma.

You are correct re: Conqueror and triple hitting on 4s, it's why Dragoons are so strong.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

chutche2 posted:

Okay? I mean if you ignore the point costs every model is functional for friendly games. I'd rather be using my warglaives than a redemptor.

I think there’s a big difference between stuff that’s up to about 20% overcosted, like the redemptor probably is, and stuff that’s so outrageously overcosted that they warp any game around them, like Centurions.

If you spend ~450 points on three centurions you just flat out lose if you don’t go first, because they will die and then a quarter of your army is gone. A redemptor dread mixed in with a bunch of primaris will still form part of a fun, enjoyable game unless you’re playing against tourny-optimised stuff.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Badablack posted:

GENTLEMEN, THERE IS NO FIGHTING IN THE WARHAMMER ROOM

Excuse me, but I believe you'll find that in the Grim Darkness of the far future there is only war! :colbert:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Got some kitbashing and converting done over the past couple'a days.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Badablack posted:

GENTLEMEN, THERE IS NO FIGHTING IN THE WARHAMMER ROOM

Shitlings like KFFF are not gentlemen though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Booley posted:

Please don't be an idiot and listen to KFFF. Those cans are absolutely not what you want to use for anything other than doing a lovely assembly line dip job of generic grunts.

I don't know of anyone who makes something similar to nuln oil in quantity. I'd strongly suggest that you take this opportunity to learn how oil washes work, for under $20 you can get a near lifetime supply of materials to make oil washes with, and they give you a ton more control. The OP of the painting and modeling thread has a good guide. Nuln oil is probably mostly black with a tiny hint of brown in it.

Thanks, interesting I'd never heard of that Pledge thing before. It might be while before I get anymore 40k Knights, but I'll definitely be picking up Adeptus Titanicus in a couple of months so this is going on my list of new tips for painting big robbits.

In a related note, is it possible to get started with an airbrush for under ~£75? I just started looking into it and every guide says to use a compressor rather than canned propellant, and recommends over £100 in gear. That's quite an investment for something I'd probably only use occasionally.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Opinion: seize the initiative should be removed. Since it happens immediately after the roll-off to go first, with nothing of consequence happening in between, its utterly pointless.

Either get rid of it, or go back to whichever person finishes deploying first goes first. In the latter case, maybe adjust seize to a 5+.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Master Twig posted:

Opinion: seize the initiative should be removed. Since it happens immediately after the roll-off to go first, with nothing of consequence happening in between, its utterly pointless.

Either get rid of it, or go back to whichever person finishes deploying first goes first. In the latter case, maybe adjust seize to a 5+.

Those months before people scrapped finishing deployment first getting first turn were a poo poo show of people taking as many super heavies as possible to alpha strike people, and was not fun.

Seize does need a rethink though. Its a lot of fun to win the roll and take second when its to your advantage because theres nothing they can do about it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Artum posted:

Those months before people scrapped finishing deployment first getting first turn were a poo poo show of people taking as many super heavies as possible to alpha strike people, and was not fun.

Seize does need a rethink though. Its a lot of fun to win the roll and take second when its to your advantage because theres nothing they can do about it.

Add a CP bonus to the person who finishes deploying first and then have turn order be determine by a CP bidding war with a minimum bid of 1, no bids means turn goes to who deployed first. This would give a slight boost to CP-starved armies if they pass and somewhat blunt CP-heavy armies who can muscle their way into the order they please.

Certainly not perfect, but far less swingy than random rolls plus a bonus “jk gently caress you” seize.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

Got some kitbashing and converting done over the past couple'a days.

Nobody move, or the Space Constitution gets it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never seized the initiative and have had it seized from me in 3 of my last 5 games :mad: