Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The first three movies are almost peerless adventure movies, even Temple. I love them far more than Star Wars. I have no opinion on Crystal Skull because I haven't bothered seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
The second best Indy movie is Fate of Atlantis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

It also sets up that it's not just 'only Thor can wield it' which is paid off later where Vision shows himself able to pick it up. That scene itself has a neat little moment to it that we don't actually see him pick it up, we only see him handing it over, because nobody in the scene is actually paying attention to that part.

There was an issue of the comics where after some huge battle in the city a random paramedic hands Thor his hammer, and he’s like “thank yo- wait what the gently caress?” and the guy has wandered off by the time Thor realized what happened. It was pretty funny.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I prefer Raiders over Last Crusade, but I like Crystal Skull more than Temple of Doom. I would rather never see Crystal Skull or Temple of Doom again, but if forced to choose, Crystal Skull is the better one to riff on, IMO.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There are two kinds of people in this world, people who will tell you Last Crusade is the best Indy movie, and liars.

So whats the other kind?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Last Crusade is my favorite and I think some people are afraid to admit it.

I find it has significantly more rewatch value and with better pacing than Raiders. Plus the aforementioned chemistry between Ford and Connery is light years better than any other pairing in the series.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sand Monster posted:

I find it has significantly more rewatch value and with better pacing than Raiders. Plus the aforementioned chemistry between Ford and Connery is light years better than any other pairing in the series.

This is my take. I rewatched them recently and I don't want to knock Raiders too hard, but Crusade just felt more...energized.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was an issue of the comics where after some huge battle in the city a random paramedic hands Thor his hammer, and he’s like “thank yo- wait what the gently caress?” and the guy has wandered off by the time Thor realized what happened. It was pretty funny.

That's great

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Fish of hemp posted:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Crusade is best, and Crystal Skull is for definitely better than Temple of Doom. Main complaints against Crystal Skull are unrealistic scenes (nuking the fridge), Shia LaBeouf, and aliens, but in Temple of Doom Indiana Jones rides an inflatable raft out of a fuckin' plane, Willie Scott mostly just screams constantly, and yeah okay maybe aliens are a little weird but whatever. Not saying Crystal is necessarily good, but Doom is worse.

The Tarzan scene is indefensible though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doomwith my East Indian friends when growing up was… awkward.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Friend posted:

Crusade is best, and Crystal Skull is for definitely better than Temple of Doom. Main complaints against Crystal Skull are unrealistic scenes (nuking the fridge), Shia LaBeouf, and aliens, but in Temple of Doom Indiana Jones rides an inflatable raft out of a fuckin' plane, Willie Scott mostly just screams constantly, and yeah okay maybe aliens are a little weird but whatever. Not saying Crystal is necessarily good, but Doom is worse.

The Tarzan scene is indefensible though.

I think the thing that completely ruined Crystal Skull is the Tarzan scene, the rest I'm ok with and even think is quite fitting considering the era it is supposed to take place in.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Temple is good and the titty statue blew my mind when I was a kid.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was Eric Masterson wasn't it?

Edit: just checked and no completely different guy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best Indiana Jones movie is The Mummy. The second best is Sahara.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sahara is a Dirk Pitt adventure you pleb, learn your litritcher

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best indiana jones movie is Tomb Raider and its spinoff tv series, The Relic Hunter.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

I would pay good money for "Hippocrates, a friend of Socrates" to be played out on the big screen.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Android Apocalypse posted:

Watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doomwith my East Indian friends when growing up was… awkward.

Because they pointed out the glaring inaccuracies? Or was it more like they saw you squirming at the dinner scene and said "who's hungry". Because I hoped they messed with you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I saw the Incredibles 2 on Saturday and well, this is a pretty big spoiler so I'm going to hide it under a black bar: The main dude supporting The Incredibles this time around is a guy Winston Deavor, who a flashy marketing dude who wants to bring the supers back. He has a sister who invents stuff for their telecom company, her name is Evelyn Deavor. try saying that name aloud a couple times. She ends up being the big bad, of course.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would pay good money for "Hippocrates, a friend of Socrates" to be played out on the big screen.

I still say this on occasion, followed up by a parrot sqwack.

Edit: just looked for the clip, and apparently it's Hermocrates, not Hippocrates.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jun 27, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MichiganCubbie posted:

I still say this on occasion, followed up by a parrot sqwack.

I guess it's mayonnaise, but it smells like used motor oil.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked Temple of Doom more than Last Crusade. So there.

I also really liked Kate Capshaw’s character.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Fish of hemp posted:

Third best is the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krispy Wafer posted:

I liked Temple of Doom more than Last Crusade. So there.

COTD material right here.
+1
Thumb's Up or that little laughing face button that they have now.
agree to Disqus' new terms and conditions before replying

Edit: This post uses cookies. [OK] X

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hi Steven!

I think my big complaint with Crystal Skull is that the film opens up with, "Oh yeah, aliens* exist" instead of Indy discovering aliens* exist at the end.

*inter-dimensional beings

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know it's weird, and I'm not going to even attempt to argue or justify it, but I just liked the action, pacing, and characters in Temple of Doom. Especially the opening number.

Small bit of trivia, the illustration of Ark's terrible power that Indy pulls out of his really big book at the beginning of Raiders was drawn by Ralph McQuarrie (the guy who did all the Star Wars concept art).

I was kind of bummed it wasn't something in a real Bible. :sad:

Davros1 posted:

Hi Steven!

Hi Davros! Did you see my movie about the nerd who really likes everything 80's? The 80's were fun.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Davros1 posted:

I think my big complaint with Crystal Skull is that the film opens up with, "Oh yeah, aliens* exist" instead of Indy discovering aliens* exist at the end.

That opening action sequence has a fun sight gag where the fighting breaks open a crate and we can briefly see the Ark nestled in some hay.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Temple of Doom is awesome. Just a dark, spiteful movie. Plus the whole escape from the temple is the best action in any of the movies.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Not hugely subtle, as a couple of shots do draw attention to it, but I liked how in Don't Breathe the antagonist (a blind war veteran) is orientating himself by touching specific areas in the house. You can see him counting doorways in his head, touching an otherwise useless fan, etc. Stephen Lang put in an absolutely fantastic performance.

drat shame it turned out the blind man was a crazed, god hating rapist. It immediately stripped away all ambiguity from the situation.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Best action sequences
1) Raiders convoy
2) Crusade tank
3) Temple mine cart

All were great though.

I haven't seen Crystal. The clip I saw of the cgi monkey chase looked awful. Maybe it's less awful in context?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nah, it's pretty much entirely pointless in context. Also CGI gophers.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Everyone hates on the aliens and the CGI, but nobody focuses on the biggest problem the movie has which is that nobody is capable of suspension of disbelief strong enough for Shia LeBouf to believably play a cool greaser.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Not Operator posted:

Everyone hates on the aliens and the CGI, but nobody focuses on the biggest problem the movie has which is Shia LeBouf

Agreed. Though people do focus on this pretty often

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Everyone hates on the aliens and the CGI, but nobody focuses on the biggest problem the movie has which is that nobody is capable of suspension of disbelief strong enough for Shia LeBouf to believably play a cool greaser.

Lehman Brothers goes bankrupt, the stock market crashes, a Black man is elected President, and Shia LeBouf is presented as a credible mainstream star.

2008 was so weird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Who the heck would you get to play a cool greaser nowadays? Really, the whole archetype seems like it'd have trouble getting off the ground presented unironically, everyone loves characters presented with at least a charming level of awkwardness.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't understand the complaints about the fridge scene, that's classic Indy heroic legend comedy action stuff, same as the mine carts or rubber raft.

The casting choice was bad but could be forgivable. Aliens is a fine twist, but as has been said, should have been proven or impled at the end only.

The monkey scene was unforgivable, unfathomable garbage. Even one person greenlighting that would be an all time Hollywood gently caress-up, but for it to make it into the theatrical release is a mind-blowingly colossal failure.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The aliens were fine as long as they were just long-dead skeletons but when one came back to life I wanted to punch lucas & spielberg

edit: "native americans used to worship creatures that might have been aliens" is a lot easier to swallow than "oh and their skeletons merged or something and one came back to life and now it flies off in a UFO"

peer has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Jun 29, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

Lehman Brothers goes bankrupt, the stock market crashes, a Black man is elected President, and Shia LeBouf is presented as a credible mainstream star.

2008 was so weird.

Yeah and I met a girl I would end up marrying. Bizarre times.

You guys have me intrigued now, I'm going to get some beers and watch Crystal Skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the fridge scene, that's classic Indy heroic legend comedy action stuff, same as the mine carts or rubber raft.

The casting choice was bad but could be forgivable. Aliens is a fine twist, but as has been said, should have been proven or impled at the end only.

The monkey scene was unforgivable, unfathomable garbage. Even one person greenlighting that would be an all time Hollywood gently caress-up, but for it to make it into the theatrical release is a mind-blowingly colossal failure.

The fridge scene was great. Indy looking around and seeing all the mannequins was a classic Raiders type scene and getting blown hundreds of feet away and surviving is no different than riding a raft 2k down feet into a snowbank or hanging onto a sub for a thousand miles.

The loving crystal skull was terrible, though. It looked plastic with aluminum foil rolled up inside and appeared to weigh almost nothing. Like I'm watching it being carried and tossed around like it's a toy from the dollar store. As a prop it was horrible. Maybe Harrison had a rotatory cuff issue and they needed to make it as light as possible.