Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's been a bit since I've seen it but I really didn't think of Road Warrior as a direct sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

morestuff posted:

It's been a bit since I've seen it but I really didn't think of Road Warrior as a direct sequel

Well, it takes place a couple of years after Mad Max, but it's the same character and car, just worse for the wear of being in the forbidden zone. It is explicitly the childhood memories of an old man, but it's obviously a continuation of the story started in the first movie. Fury Road is more ambiguous and just tells a Mad Max story without trying to fit it into any existing timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdr-f3MZgqo

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 12, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bottom Liner posted:

great too, but FR is a masterpiece and basically the movie he wanted to be able to make all along IMO.

Fury Road is the best action film ever made. It's so good that T2 and Aliens feel dull and rote by comparison.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fury Road is the best action film ever made. It's so good that T2 and Aliens feel dull and rote by comparison.

Sure, Fury Road is excellent, but this post is :chloe: worthy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

Sure, Fury Road is excellent, but this post is :chloe: worthy.

Eh, T2 still owns, but Aliens is overrated.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well I watched some utter poo poo movies.

The Vault - Robbers try to rob a bank but how unfortunate for them they picked the wrong bank to rob. This bank has a haunted vault. Yes you read that right. That is the premise of this movie, a haunted bank vault. 1/5

Delirium - Movie about a guy who is released out of a mental hospital after many years. He was falsely accused of something and put inside. Comes back to his parent's mansion where he lives alone and starts seeing things. 1/5

Onibaba - Old Japanese horror movie. Great story telling, great cinematography, great music, great acting, great everything. I actually read an analysis of this that it was about communism vs capitalism but ya this movie is a lot deeper than it seems but the surface story is great as well. 5/5

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Murder Weapon - 1989 Linnea Quigley pseudo vanity project. Really awful, but has a solid Eric Freeman performance that gives it a bit of heft. His eyebrows aren't as ridiculous as in Silent Night, Deadly Night 2, but he's still watchable as hell. The mixing is so bad that most of the time the background diegetic music is louder than the dialogue, so we ended up putting on subtitles. Turned out to be a great decision as the music was subtitled too.

2/5 for movie. 5/5 for Eric Freeman and amazing subtitles.

Also, one of the deaths involves a hand going through someone's chest and feeding them their own guts. It comes out of nowhere and is confusing as all hell.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Won't you be My Neighbor? - A

I knew I was going to cry. I cried.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hereditary - 2.5/5 great style, not much substance. Director has a great eye and feel for tension and pace, but needs to work with a screenwriter.

Incredibles 2 - 4/5 tons of charm and humor but not as good as the original. Felt overly safe for such a long awaited sequel. The first is my favorite Pixar movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

Won't you be My Neighbor? - A

I knew I was going to cry. I cried.

This has been doing gangbusters at our theater and there are a LOT of red faces coming out of that auditorium.

Probably going to win oscars.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
haven't done this in a minute-

everything I've seen so far in theaters from 3/19-6/20.

The Good:

Upgrade
You Were Never Really Here
Isle of Dogs
Filmworker

The Pretty Good (but I doubt I'd ever rewatch it):

Boom For Real (basquiat doc)

The eh/mediocre/catch on cable:

Flower
Pacific Rim 2
Solo
The Endless
Ready Player One
I Feel Pretty
Avengers Infinity (i'm very tepid about marvel poo poo usually..it was fine, def didn't need to be 2.5 hours long)
Deadpool 2
American Animals
How To Talk To Girls At Parties
Supertroopers 2

The I wish I could get my time back list:

Unsane
Acrimony (my first tyler perry movie will also be my last tyler perry movie)
A Wrinkle In Time
Superfly (with the caveat that I think this will be one of those movies people watch and mock furiously in the future, possibly making it better?)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Y Tu Mama Tambien (blu rewatch) - 90/100
Won't You Be My Neighbor - 79/100

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Reluctant hero pulled back into the action when an enemy attacks. Awkwardly out-of-touch parents on college move-in day. Random hot girl that cavorts around the camera for sex appeal. Irritating walking Internet nerd stereotype.

Does any of this sound familiar? It should, because it's been done in countless movies before, all with better written plots and characters.

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen (2009): D

This was not watched by choice. A friend of mine wanted us to see his copy of the movie, so I indulged him. Mistake.

I did not watch the original Transformers cartoon in the '80s nor any of the more recent Transformers movie, but I had no interest in changing that after watching RoTF. Almost everything about this movie was irritating. Nearly every word out of the curly-haired neckbeard guy with the website made me want to punch him in the face. There was a lot of pretty CGI and fast-moving fights, but I had trouble keeping up with the action and didn't care to keep up.

In the end, this felt less like a movie than a string of cliches from the Generic Movie Blockbuster book. Let me guess: Michael Bay movie?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This was not watched by choice. A friend of mine wanted us to see his copy of the movie, so I indulged him. Mistake.

What was so special about his copy that required extra viewers? Was it a quantum edition that changed when observed?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nothing. He's autistic, and I'm taking care of him over the summer. He'll often bring over movies he wants to watch.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just watched Thoroughbreds

loving incredible and easily in top 10 of the year. Fantastic dark comedy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just watched Thoroughbreds

loving incredible and easily in top 10 of the year. Fantastic dark comedy.

The marketing ruined the movie for me. I was expecting "Heathers meets American Psycho" and it's most definitely not that. I guess it worked in that it got me to go see it, but I thought it was just ok at best personally.

For the record my fav dark comedy of the year is Death of Stalin

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jurassic World 2 - 1/5 definitely the dumbest movie I've seen in a decade or two. Not in the dumb summer movie way that's still fun like the first, but off putting and uncomfortable to watch. It had no clue what kind of movie it wanted to be as well. Just offensively dumb.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Touch of Evil (1958, Orson Welles) [Blu-ray - Preview Version] - n/a - watched with Jonathan Rosenbaum/James Naremore commentary
Cavalcade (1933, Frank Lloyd) [DVD] - 2.5/5
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984, Wes Craven) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Incredibles 2 (2018, Brad Bird) [Theatrical] - 4.25/5
Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984, Michael Radford) [Blu-ray - Director's Cut] - 4/5

Syncopation (1942, William Dieterle) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971, Melvin van Peebles) [Filmstruck] - 3.5/5
Blind Husbands (1919, Erich von Stroheim) [DVD] - 2.5/5
Queen Kelly (1929, Erich von Stroheim) [DVD] - 3/5
The Ladies Man (1961, Jerry Lewis) [DVD] - 3/5

Also finally finished watching all of Criterion's A Hollis Frampton Odyssey. I can't say I loved all his films, but they're certainly interesting and clever. Almost too clever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984, Michael Radford) [Blu-ray - Director's Cut] - 4/5

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971, Melvin van Peebles) [Filmstruck] - 3.5/5

Care to talk?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

1984 - I regret that I haven't read the novel yet, so I can't say whether it's a faithful adaptation. I did feel that it was somewhat obscure at times, as if you're supposed to be more familiar with the book. Is it bad that I find Brazil to be a far superior take, even if it's not an official adaptation? (Also, I watched the Twilight Time Blu-ray which uses the bleach bypass color grading used by DP Roger Deakins and an orchestral score rather than the Eurythmics songs)

Sweet Sweetback - I love how wild Van Peebles gets with the camera and editing. It's a real trip of the film, even if some parts really haven't aged well. Still worth seeing for being an important piece of 70s black cinema.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

1984 - I regret that I haven't read the novel yet, so I can't say whether it's a faithful adaptation. I did feel that it was somewhat obscure at times, as if you're supposed to be more familiar with the book. Is it bad that I find Brazil to be a far superior take, even if it's not an official adaptation? (Also, I watched the Twilight Time Blu-ray which uses the bleach bypass color grading used by DP Roger Deakins and an orchestral score rather than the Eurythmics songs)

Sweet Sweetback - I love how wild Van Peebles gets with the camera and editing. It's a real trip of the film, even if some parts really haven't aged well. Still worth seeing for being an important piece of 70s black cinema.

The Eurythmics track is actually good; we did a benefit screening last year and ran it with that. It's as faithful a film adaptation as we're ever liable to get. The book spends more time on what it means to systematically erase language, etc. It's a fantastic, haunting book, probably moreso for being so accessible and easy to read...but I think that was Orwell's intention.

Also, I think Mario Van Peebles did a docudrama about the making of his dad's film back in '03???

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Won't you be my neighbor? - 143/10

It gave me the McFeelys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Spectral: B

It's fine for what it is, a low-budget Netflix original sci fi action flick with monsters. It doesn't try to be anything else, and between a kinda neat idea or two, not being misogynistic, and 95% of the movie obeying the rules it set up, I think it's well above average for this kind of movie. It's not good a good movie by any objective measure, but it doesn't pretend to be anything but a low-budget Netflix original action flick with monsters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Tag is a silly movie, and it knows it, and never takes itself too seriously, and isn't afraid to get goofy. You should see it if you like absurd comedies.
I don't rewatch a ton of movies, but I was encouraged to give 2001: A Space Odyssey a second chance, and it really is a lot more cognizant the second time through, and it should be seen because it is a legit masterpiece. I think a single watch through though, there's just so much going on it's hard to really digest.
Speaking of movies with a ton going on, The Crater Lake Monster is definitely that and probably also needs several viewings to fully digest. It's another one of these movies that really becomes worth watching when you realize that it is in fact a love story.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I saw Hitman: Dia del Soldier. The first ten minutes are pretty wild. The movie overall is a lot more brutal than the first one. The cinematography doesn't hold up as much but overall it's great if you enjoyed Sicario.

B

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sicario 2 - 5/5

Best sequel in ages. Screenplay was tight and tense, cinematography was killer, and the movie had a lot of weight even without Emily Blunt’s character weighing it down. This writer hasn’t missed yet for me. Best of the year so far.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 3, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Battle Wizard - 1977, Shaw Brothers. 5/5

Kung fu snake eating metal chicken legging fire breathing gorilla fighting laser fingering limb amputating incestuous claw hand bitchslapping insanity. Incredibly highly recommended.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Pacific Rim: Uprising - 1/5

I liked the original Pacific Rim in part because it was so different, the plot was a bit silly but it had good robot vs monster action. The characters in Pacific Rim were well, something else, if anything they took action move and racial stereotyping pretty far, almost but not quite too far, just enough to make it interesting in a quirky way.

As for Uprising, I didn't care for any of the characters, the main characters didn't even seem like they wanted to be involved in the fight. The plot skipped straight past silly and entertaining to over the top ridiculous in no time and there was a significant lack of robot vs monster action which was the entire reason for watching the first movie. Uprising only served to make me want to re-watch the original in a vain attempt to erase the sequel from my brain.

EnzoMafo
Jul 29, 2008
Sicario 2 4/5. Didn't think the story was as tight as the original, and I didn't feel like the ending made a whole lot of sense. However, I was happy with the movies pacing and action. I thought Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin were both quite good. Definitely worth a watch.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Tau - 1/5

I knew within the first 15 minutes that this was gonna be a total shitshow, and I was right. Judging by his performance, Gary Oldman probably knew it too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Great Dictator (1940, rewatch): A
Not generally considered to be one of Chaplin's best, but it's one of Chaplin's best in my opinion. The speech at the end still gives me goosebumps.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 10, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Funny Games (1997): A
This is a bit of a cheat, as I didn't actually finish the movie but watched about half of it. It's a good movie but I'm not sure I even want to finish; it's one of the most blood chilling films I've ever seen. Great acting, well-written story that actually involves the audience in the antagonists' sadism by breaking the fourth wall several times. I found this movie on TCM late at night and regretted getting into it at that hour.

You should probably finish Funny Games before giving it a score.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I took your advice and watched the rest of Funny Games. I'm glad I did, because now that I found out that the entire movie is some sort of elaborate troll of the audience, I want to amend my grade to D.

The movie itself is fine; makes you feel like you've been through the ringer with the characters. So is the acting. But making a movie as pointlessly violent as this one in some sort of statement on violence in media is like loving for virginity. Attempting to neutralize your audience's objection to violence because "well, you watched the entire movie so you can't complain" is obnoxious and unhelpful.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How did you expect it to end?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Samuel Clemens posted:

How did you expect it to end?

Dunno. I guess I expected Anna to successfully flee the house before they returned.

I'm not annoyed that the film plays with your expectations, though. Despite supposedly being passionate about violence in media, filmmaker Haneke undermines his own arguments (which I think are valid) by tricking his audience into watching a lot of violence and then smugly taking them to task for sitting through the entire movie.

That said, I still think that the movie itself is engrossing and good, if extremely hard to watch. I've sat through Caligula, Leonard, Part VI and many of the other worst movies ever made with less difficulty than Funny Games.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Despite supposedly being passionate about violence in media, filmmaker Haneke undermines his own arguments (which I think are valid) by tricking his audience into watching a lot of violence and then smugly taking them to task for sitting through the entire movie.

I think that's a perfectly valid take on the film, even though I personally disagree. What puzzles me is that you liked the first half so much, since it seemed to me like Haneke puts his cards on the table very early on and then just carries things through to their inevitably grim conclusion.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think that's a perfectly valid take on the film, even though I personally disagree. What puzzles me is that you liked the first half so much, since it seemed to me like Haneke puts his cards on the table very early on and then just carries things through to their inevitably grim conclusion.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just that for me, it became a lot more obvious in the second part, especially after the rewind scene. That was consistent with some of the things I saw in the first part, but it was frustrating because it felt like the game was rigged.

Not a bad movie, though. Is the 2007 remake as good?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The 2007 remake is by the same director and is basically almost exactly the same

Also thank you for making the ulitimate wrong "I'm sure it's safe to post my opinion on this movie without finishing it" post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Three Identical Strangers - A

Crazy true story about triplets separated from birth. The story gets more bizarre as it goes on, pretty jaw-dropping.