Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hi, sandcastle! I'm formulating a translation LP for a PS1 game, and I've created a few sample updates for how it would look once I made the thread. I've never done an LP before, so I would love to hear any nitpicking people have regarding my structure or format while I make preparations for a thread.

Any commentary from me will be fairly dry, because I would prefer for this game to largely speak for itself. It's a historical curiosity called The King of Fighters Kyo.

Update 0 (Prologue)

Update 1

Update 2

Update 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The setup and format looks good. It's just a matter of preference, but personally I'd just bold the choice I'm making rather than add the > pick option x line

The size of the images is kind of weird and they're a bit blurry. I don't know what the game's resolution is supposed to be, but afik ps1 games are generally something like, 320x240 or 256x240, and should be upscaled to 200% using nearest neighbour to look nice and crisp.

The images are also much heavier than they need to be - at this quality, you should probably use jpgs. But if you can fix the blurriness, pngs may still be better.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

vilkacis posted:

The setup and format looks good. It's just a matter of preference, but personally I'd just bold the choice I'm making rather than add the > pick option x line

The size of the images is kind of weird and they're a bit blurry. I don't know what the game's resolution is supposed to be, but afik ps1 games are generally something like, 320x240 or 256x240, and should be upscaled to 200% using nearest neighbour to look nice and crisp.

The images are also much heavier than they need to be - at this quality, you should probably use jpgs. But if you can fix the blurriness, pngs may still be better.

That's all good feedback, thanks!

Regarding the images, I'm playing the game off of a PS3 because epsxe crashes the game too frequently for my liking. I use an Elgato capture device which generates screencaps with one button press, then I cut the weird frame left around the game image. Here's one of the raw images that I get through my capture device:

As you can see, it's still got that blurriness here. I'll futz with the settings on the capture device software's end and see if I can improve it any, but for now, I'll be leaving these images as-is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What I'm doing for my LP of Wild Arms (another PSX game) is playing in BizHawk and recording using BizHawk's built-in recording. It's pretty easy on your PC, always records at the PSX's native resolution, ignores any dips in framerate not caused by slowdown in the game itself, and as long as you select a lossless codec (or raw video, like I do) will always be a crisp video. Also, so far BizHawk hasn't decided to just up and quit working on me like ePXSe has.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
edit: Okay, I've got Bizhawk figured out. This is fantastic, and this is way better than having to play on hardware with constant resets. Screenshots look way cleaner, too. Thanks a ton, Commander Keene!

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 15, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm thinking about making a Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days LP.

First update test (Spoilers for the whole KH franchise).

Is there any major problems? I'm most unsure about the fact that most of the video is muted by Youtube for copyright reasons (Sanctuary). Are my descriptions and screenshots enough to follow the cutscene?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

1234567890num posted:

I'm thinking about making a Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days LP.

First update test (Spoilers for the whole KH franchise).

Is there any major problems? I'm most unsure about the fact that most of the video is muted by Youtube for copyright reasons (Sanctuary). Are my descriptions and screenshots enough to follow the cutscene?

The resolution you've chosen for your images is causing them to look really blurry. I can see what you were trying to go for in order to be able to have the top and bottom screen side by side, but it seems that (a) the second screen is often actually blank and (b) the blur and small size makes the images actively unpleasant to look at.

For DS it's usually best to go with 2x resize without resample, but I guess that would mean that you would have to have the two screens under each other instead of side by side because of the lparchive limitation.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even if it wasn't two screens awkwardly jammed adjacent to each other, a single DS screen is not 400x300 at any size. Speaking of awkwardly jamming two screens next to each other for no benefit, the ones that have the second screen being all black need the bottom screen removing because it adds nothing at all. And the screenshots shouldn't be JPGs either.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

ivantod posted:

The resolution you've chosen for your images is causing them to look really blurry. I can see what you were trying to go for in order to be able to have the top and bottom screen side by side, but it seems that (a) the second screen is often actually blank and (b) the blur and small size makes the images actively unpleasant to look at.

For DS it's usually best to go with 2x resize without resample, but I guess that would mean that you would have to have the two screens under each other instead of side by side because of the lparchive limitation.

That's one of the pictures with only the top screen and resized twice as large. I think it looks even more blurry? The bottom screen is usually blank during cutscenes, but they display the map during gameplay.

Like you said, I could make it top-bottom instead of side by side.

Is that okay? I'm afraid that using 2X cutscene and 1X gameplay might be jarring, but 2X cutscene and 2X gameplay might be too large? Which one do you think might be better?

Dragonatrix posted:

Even if it wasn't two screens awkwardly jammed adjacent to each other, a single DS screen is not 400x300 at any size. Speaking of awkwardly jamming two screens next to each other for no benefit, the ones that have the second screen being all black need the bottom screen removing because it adds nothing at all. And the screenshots shouldn't be JPGs either.

Based on a google search, each DS screen has a 4:3 resolution, just not exactly 400x300 originally. I'll cut out the black bottom screens. I don't get about screenshot not being JPG since for the sandcastle of my previous LP it's said that the screenshots for DS shouldn't be PNG.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

1234567890num posted:

That's one of the pictures with only the top screen and resized twice as large. I think it looks even more blurry? The bottom screen is usually blank during cutscenes, but they display the map during gameplay.

This is not the right resolution again. Your picture is 800x600px, but the DS resolution is 256x192, so when doubled it should be 512x384. Make sure you don't use resampling to avoid blur when resizing.

Here is an example of the right size screenshot after doubling, from the same game:

Notice how the text is sharp and clear. There is some artifacting on the gradients, but that's present in the game itself.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's the result when I tried.

Yeah, it's very noticeably better. I guess you can't make it bigger on the emulator since that will cause the blurriness. And what about the part with the gameplay?

or

Also, I don't understand when to use PNG or JPG since the link to the guide in the OP has been dead for some time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1234567890num posted:

Also, I don't understand when to use PNG or JPG since the link to the guide in the OP has been dead for some time.

PNGs are huge rear end files generally, so they're stuff you want to use sparingly compared to JPGs. Best practice for PNGs is to use them for sparingly and for small stuff that for stuff you want to have transparency for but don't want to take the quality loss that comes with making it a GIF.

Stuff like this:

Or, on the other end of the spectrum, for stuff you want to show off in high quality that a JPG just won't do justice to. Again, these should be used sparingly and only for stuff that really deserves it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

1234567890num posted:

I don't get about screenshot not being JPG since for the sandcastle of my previous LP it's said that the screenshots for DS shouldn't be PNG.

That was Hotel Dusk, right? I remember telling you already back then that that's incorrect and even gave you samples to show off why .pngs are better in that case (and the case of pretty much every DS game), but I recall you having some problems with it and going with .jpgs anyway.

In any case, what I'd do is I'd set up a batch cropping preset in IrfanView set to crop one of the screens, and only show both screens when it's actually relevant. This is what your average screenshot should be like in my opinion:

That's a 512x384 (precisely two times the DS resolution) .png with a mere 37.81 KB filesize and perfect image quality.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 16, 2018

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

1234567890num posted:

Here's the result when I tried.

Yeah, it's very noticeably better. I guess you can't make it bigger on the emulator since that will cause the blurriness. And what about the part with the gameplay?

This looks fine, except for one little thing: you should probably bump up the JPEG compression quality slightly to avoid that artifacting around the text (check how it's not present on my original).

EDIT: Or as the poster above me suggests, use PNGs if you can and if they are smaller than JPGs.

1234567890num posted:

or

I think there is nothing wrong with the larger one. I haven't played this particular game myself, but I assume you don't need to show the bottom screen every time, since it doesn't constantly change. So you can show it only when there is something of note there. Then you'd be find with the larger size.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

nine-gear crow posted:

PNGs are huge rear end files generally, so they're stuff you want to use sparingly compared to JPGs. Best practice for PNGs is to use them for sparingly and for small stuff that for stuff you want to have transparency for but don't want to take the quality loss that comes with making it a GIF.

Stuff like this:

Or, on the other end of the spectrum, for stuff you want to show off in high quality that a JPG just won't do justice to. Again, these should be used sparingly and only for stuff that really deserves it.

For low-resolution games with small color palettes, it's actually .jpgs which on average have larger filesizes (and lower image quality on top). From my experience this advice doesn't apply to this particular game or most DS games for that matter.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Kanfy posted:

That was Hotel Dusk, right? I remember telling you already back then that that's incorrect and even gave you samples to show off why .pngs are better in that case (and the case of pretty much every DS game), but I recall you having some problems with it and going with .jpgs anyway.

In any case, what I'd do is I'd set up a batch cropping preset in IrfanView set to crop one of the screen, and only showing both screens when it's actually relevant. This is what your average screenshot should be like in my opinion:

That's a 512x384 (precisely two times the DS resolution) .png with a mere 37.81 KB filesize and perfect image quality.

Yeah, it was. Sorry about that :sweatdrop:. I guess I'm just confused since the Hotel Dusk example uses both screens and has 400ishKB file size. And because I tried reducing the image size from the maximised emulator with the quality still being bad. It's probably automatically resampled or something.

The image quality become much better when increasing the size with Irfanview. Something to keep in mind going forward, I guess. I'm probably going to keep it JPG since the quality doesn't increase that much (it's has an old-school style).

ivantod posted:

I think there is nothing wrong with the larger one. I haven't played this particular game myself, but I assume you don't need to show the bottom screen every time, since it doesn't constantly change. So you can show it only when there is something of note there. Then you'd be find with the larger size.

I see. Thanks for the input, everyone! It'll be a while until the actual LP since I have to retake all the screenshots.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rule of thumb: use PNGs for images that have sharp lines that need to be preserved. Use JPG for everything else. The most obvious JPG artifacts are "ringing" around sharp lines which make the image look muddy. This isn't generally noticeable in, say, photography, because there's usually enough texture in whatever you're photographing that the ringing isn't noticeable. But it really sticks out with text, low-res pixel art, or most comics/cartoons, where you have flat colors with thin or nonexistent lines between them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think the forum archiving might be back.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Doing a DS game for the first time, so I want to make sure it looks good.

Test Update

I switch to do single images for some stuff midway through, and will probably only show the bottom screen if there's something interesting and not just a black screen. Feedback appreciated.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the forum archiving might be back.

It has been for a while. It's been set to 4 months instead of 2.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Hey everyone I just started an Unravel 2 LP with my girlfriend and I just wanted your guys' opinions on the audio before I made a thread for it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

giver336 posted:

Doing a DS game for the first time, so I want to make sure it looks good.

Test Update

I switch to do single images for some stuff midway through, and will probably only show the bottom screen if there's something interesting and not just a black screen. Feedback appreciated.

There's a ton of dialogue that you could just transcribe to text instead of using a whole screenshot for each. Since you're apparently talking with the translation team too, I'd imagine you could just ask them for the text files.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Hey everyone I just started an Unravel 2 LP with my girlfriend and I just wanted your guys' opinions on the audio before I made a thread for it

I don't hear a lot of the game audio, but that may be because the game is quiet or it may be intentional in editing. Otherwise the voice levels sound fine.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

dscruffy1 posted:

I don't hear a lot of the game audio, but that may be because the game is quiet or it may be intentional in editing. Otherwise the voice levels sound fine.

There really isn’t much game audio, it’s just some gentle type music. I was more concerned with the voice levels. So thank you for letting me know

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did General Ironicus and Cheezum leave the forums along with Voidburger etc?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Did General Ironicus and Cheezum leave the forums along with Voidburger etc?

I think so. Their MGS V LP is only having updates and discussions posted on lp.zone. Chip is dating Voidburger, so it's not surprising that he'd leave the forum after Lowtax flipped out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Chip may have had a dead frog head in his bed when he was getting ready to make an SA thread

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leal posted:

Chip may have had a dead frog head in his bed when he was getting ready to make an SA thread

Poor Mission J. Frog.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

so it's not surprising that _____'d leave the forum after Lowtax flipped out.

This seems to happen often, over the years.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OP Example Update

I was also going to do an example mid-game update, but :effort:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

You should probably mention that while Blizzard has 90% accuracy in gen 1 to underscore why it's so good
balance!

will you be explaining what makes the rental pokemon subpar in more detail as you go? I guess not like a big breakdown on each rental pokemon, that'd be absurd, but general trends in each part of the cups maybe? Or focus on how you pick your teams? This one had a theme so it's whatever, but I guess more in the future

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rannum posted:

You should probably mention that while Blizzard has 90% accuracy in gen 1 to underscore why it's so good
balance!

will you be explaining what makes the rental pokemon subpar in more detail as you go? I guess not like a big breakdown on each rental pokemon, that'd be absurd, but general trends in each part of the cups maybe? Or focus on how you pick your teams? This one had a theme so it's whatever, but I guess more in the future
Yes, I should! I can edit that in pretty easily.

And yes I will! Including their noble attempts to make all of them as evenly unviable as possible. Didn't go into it this time because I just wanted to put together a quick theme team to hammer out a test post, but that's definitely coming.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
How do live LP collaborations work with people who aren't sitting in front of the mic with you? I know a few people who'd be interested in making some videos, but I'm not sure how to make that happen - what software to use to connect, etc. After a brief google search the best I could find was a reddit post about skyping with a webcam pointed at the monitor.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

psychopomp posted:

How do live LP collaborations work with people who aren't sitting in front of the mic with you? I know a few people who'd be interested in making some videos, but I'm not sure how to make that happen - what software to use to connect, etc. After a brief google search the best I could find was a reddit post about skyping with a webcam pointed at the monitor.

The person playing the game streams it such that the other person(s) can watch in real time. I recommend that everyone records their own audio, but if the sound balance is fine the person playing the game can probably get away with just doing a single audio recording of the game and commentary at once.

There are a number of options for doing so, such as:

- Streaming to Twitch
- Using Discord's screen sharing
- Using Skype screen sharing
- Creating an RTMP stream and hosting it directly
- ...Teamviewer question mark?
- Pointing a webcam at your monitor

Basically there are a lot of better options and if your only option is to skype with a webcam pointed at your monitor, uh, don't.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olesh posted:

Basically there are a lot of better options and if your only option is to skype with a webcam pointed at your monitor, uh, don't.

Yeah, I don't think that they do wrongpraes anymore anyways

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren:NEWS UPDATE!:siren::siren::siren:

Thanks to the diligent work of the SA Support Robot, we now have four "new" thread tags to play with here in LP. And by that I mean one tag we stole from Imp Zone and three that we used to have but got rid of for... I don't know why.

We now have Wall Hack / Minus World Mario to gently caress around with, as well as the return of the old PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox 360 tags:

Because people still LP games for those consoles and there's still a few old LPs out there that were indexed under those tags that were virtually inaccessible unless you wanted to search for them manually.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone suggested that I should make an LP in this format. I'm running it through here to check how viable it'd be.

Dear Diary,

Today I ventured for the first time into the realms of Final Fantasy, the Twelfth.

OPENING

Two baby-faced CGI characters are marrying and kissing each other. The colors and designs make me think of A Phantom Menace.

This opening confuses me a lot. There's a free-form mix of medieval combat, armor, high fantasy magic, and literal futuristic spaceships shooting laser at each other. Some parts of the music remind me of John Williams. Is this Star Wars, I wonder.

This opening is long and bores me where's the stuff that's short and to the point. Eh, I'm just rambling. It's fine. As I watch this bizarre mash of ideas and hate it for not being Vagrant Story I also appreciate it for being somewhat different. There's a badass bearded guy.

The baby-faced married guy dies. I cannot say I care.

TUTORIAL

I don't like that there's a tutorial but the badass bearded guy tells me which buttons to press. I giggle.

The combat reminds me of Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. I like traditional turn-based combats but I'm more than pleased with this iteration so far.

I kill a boss and for some unexplainable reason I hear the voice com of the ship pilot and his plight. This is some Austin Powers level of red-shirt guy characterization. His boss says he did good and tells him to retreat. I feel genuinely attached to the poor guy and want to know more about him. I imagine him coming home and crying, having an emotional breakdown saying he almost died, his ship caught fire. His family says it will be alright.

Why can't I move the menu with the analog stick, what the gently caress.

Wait, badass bearded guy killed the King? You crazy psychotic gently caress. He killed baby-faced main character. That explains why he looked at him so sad when he realized he was about to kill a 17 years old dude. gently caress you. I have a younger brother to take care of.

THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL, JUNE THE 25TH, 2018 ANNO DOMINI

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Elentor posted:

Someone suggested that I should make an LP in this format. I'm running it through here to check how viable it'd be.
THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL, JUNE THE 25TH, 2018 ANNO DOMINI

Are we supposed to guess what you're writing about or something?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's in there, believe it or not:

Elentor posted:

Final Fantasy, the Twelfth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teledahn posted:

Are we supposed to guess what you're writing about or something?

It's a blind run into FFXII. I wrote it as a joke in the FF megathread but I got a few comments on IRC/Discord and a post in the thread suggesting I could do an LP using the format, mostly targeted at people who have already played the game. Writing an LP in a diary format mocking the game's writing would be pretty easy to do but I'm not sure the joke can last long enough for an entire LP.