Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Danaru posted:

My masculinity is so fragile that if I see anyone open a door for even a second longer than necessary I just start shrieking in anger until I lose consciousness and wake up in the hospital

It's definitely not a masculinity thing (well I guess it is for homophobes), it's about unnecessarily turning a mechanical, unconscious action into an awkward social transaction. People around here start holding doors for you at like 30 feet and get upset if you don't adopt an ingratiating smile and speed walk through the door. gently caress that. If someone's walking behind me close enough to touch my butt I'll hold the door for them as I'm walking through it but past that I just assume that they're happy to handle it without my help unless they ask for it. I'm silently grateful when people afford me the same courtesy.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holding the door open for people is very good.

I have a lot of social anxieties but I won’t put the blame on other people.

Although I was at a bar with some friends and they went on the dance floor and I hung back chilling not bothering anyone, and some bro guy came up to me and started being all “ooh what up dood aw poo poo yeah dood!” Cheersing me and stuff. Which is whatever fine.

But then he wouldn’t let me go to the bathroom, which was across the dance floor, unless I danced for him. He was shoving me back. It was weird.

Let me be awkward by myself douche!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

CelticPredator posted:

But then he wouldn’t let me go to the bathroom, which was across the dance floor, unless I danced for him. He was shoving me back. It was weird.

Let me be awkward by myself douche!

Oh hello instant rage. I've had people pull poo poo like that on me, also when I was a shy socially anxious wallflower and "weirdly" never since I grew into the confidence I'd need to tell them to get hosed immediately. It's only meant to make you more uncomfortable and it's loving disgusting, way more than a pet peeve imo. Sorry that happened to you :(

I have a peeve that I still don't have the confidence to step in when I see other people being put into these situations, women trapped by drunk men on trains, teenagers harassing random people, men berating their girlfriends in public. One day when my Angry Mum Voice is fully developed :(

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

pepper spray is magical

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teenytinymouse posted:

Sorry that happened to you :(

I’m cool with it. I can laugh it off most of the time. However upon doing that impression of that person, I was walking up to the next bar and handing the bouncer my card and he assumed I was completely wasted to the point of eyeing me and telling me to get water and having the whole staff look at me.

I was fine-ish. Like yeah, def drunk but not the drunk he was assuming. drat frat boy impressions haha.

But yes I also get kinda worked up over people mis treating people. It drives me bonkers. I almost yelled at this dude at the restaurant I worked at for making one of the servers cry over a loving pizza. I was about to quit too but I just couldn’t do it.

I’m working there again now after quitting so if that happens again I will yell at someone. I don’t give a poo poo. No one should get away with that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I hate when bank tellers start going through my purchase history every time I go in to do something. They don't even start punching stuff in for the check before it starts. It mostly goes "Do you know this charge?" "Yes my gym membership," type stuff but they sometimes try to sell me stuff. "We see you make purchases on Steam would you like to buy some bullshit protection security?" "No. Stop doing this."

I finally had it today where I said I want them to remember and recognize me and if they do this again, I'm pulling all of my accounts. Citizens Bank for anyone curious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

I hate when bank tellers start going through my purchase history every time I go in to do something. They don't even start punching stuff in for the check before it starts. It mostly goes "Do you know this charge?" "Yes my gym membership," type stuff but they sometimes try to sell me stuff. "We see you make purchases on Steam would you like to buy some bullshit protection security?" "No. Stop doing this."

I finally had it today where I said I want them to remember and recognize me and if they do this again, I'm pulling all of my accounts. Citizens Bank for anyone curious.

Not a bank but Comcast did poo poo like that too. Every single time I had to call them for any reason they'd push the upsell relentlessly. Eventually I said "if you keep doing this I will cancel my service and switch to somebody else at the first opportunity." The next time I called the first words out of my mouth were "I know you're going to try to sell me things. Don't. I only want internet. No landline, no TV. Just the internet. I've told you before. Don't try to sell me things." Of course they did so I said "yup, soon as I move after college I'm cancelling."

So when I did finally move away I switched and made sure to list every last drat grievance I had with them. The biggest one was "quit trying to sell me things I've repeatedly told you that I don't want."

I didn't yell at the guy on the phone, though. It isn't his fault. Never blame the person you're talking to and be nice to them. I don't know about that bank but Comcast in particular apparently started paying their tech support folks that you talk to when you call on commission and told them to sell as hard as they can whenever you call to get them to actually loving fix their service. That's just scammy as gently caress. I know some banks have their call center people do that too just not that one in particular. They get commissions if they sell you things so of course they're going to try to every single time you call.

Incidentally this is why I use a small, local bank from where I'm originally from still. The closest branch is 90 minutes away but I very rarely have to be there in person thanks to the marvels of technology and they haven't tried to sell me a single loving thing in a decade. In the off chance that there's a problem I just call them up say "hey, I need *thing* to happen," they hook me up with the right person, we arrange the details, and everything is good in the world.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Who is telling companies that people want auto-playing videos? Especially on platforms where you can't even hear the sound unless you click on the unmute or play button like twitter and more recently youtube (at least on my phone) after it's like 10 seconds into the video? Who likes this feature? Sometimes I want to see the thumbnail of a video on youtube before I decide whether I want to click on it, but I can't now unless I scroll down until it's almost off the screen while some other video starts autoplaying. Plus if you click on a video after it has done the preview thing, it puts you at the same timestamp as the preview, so you have to jump back to the beginning if you want to actually hear the beginning.

It's like every update to twitter/facebook etc that ever happened - it serves no purpose, it doesn't fix anything, it just annoys people who were used to the old way. It's like they can't find anything else for their employees to do so they just tell them to make up features that don't do anything new/better but still take time to code.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If it autoplays, it counts as a click for ad revenue purposes. It's 100% anti-user

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Who is telling companies that people want auto-playing videos? Especially on platforms where you can't even hear the sound unless you click on the unmute or play button like twitter and more recently youtube (at least on my phone) after it's like 10 seconds into the video? Who likes this feature? Sometimes I want to see the thumbnail of a video on youtube before I decide whether I want to click on it, but I can't now unless I scroll down until it's almost off the screen while some other video starts autoplaying. Plus if you click on a video after it has done the preview thing, it puts you at the same timestamp as the preview, so you have to jump back to the beginning if you want to actually hear the beginning.

It's like every update to twitter/facebook etc that ever happened - it serves no purpose, it doesn't fix anything, it just annoys people who were used to the old way. It's like they can't find anything else for their employees to do so they just tell them to make up features that don't do anything new/better but still take time to code.

"Oh hey this news article looks interesting"

*clicks*

*it's a video*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7oqmikZDQ

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ghost emoji posted:

*clicks*

*it's a video*

I hate this so much, especially since if you even try to watch the video there are long ads and the bit you are actually interested in isn't even mentioned until the last minute or two.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Danaru posted:

If it autoplays, it counts as a click for ad revenue purposes. It's 100% anti-user

This makes me wonder why companies still pay for internet advertising in that manner. The cost to acquire a customer via exclusively autoplayed videos must be enormous considering the amount of people who actually click through on the autoplaying video to see the ad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Okay Forbes, I'm just not going to read any of your articles and will remember not to click links to your site in the future.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have 16 gigs of ram and a quad processor and some of these news sites bring my browser to its knees because they load like 30 javascript cookie whatevers on every loving page.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin in advanced mode with default-deny on all 3rd-party scripts/frames are absolutely mandatory for comfortable web browsing these days.

I like Decentraleyes and Cookie Autodelete as well. And HTTPS Everywhere. And FB Purity. And First Party Isolation. And holy poo poo, the web has become a real shithole, hasn't it?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
"become"?

let's not forget that the early era of the internet had popups and bonzi buddy and scripted midi and all that garbage. now it's just a different kind of garbage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Never besmirch the name of our lord and savior Embedded lovely-rear end Smells Like Teen Spirit MIDI :colbert:

Next you'll try and tell me that animated rotating skulls and flames, and "under construction" signs were uncool :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I kinda miss how juvenile it all was. Now everything looks like magazines or white art gallery.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This makes me wonder why companies still pay for internet advertising in that manner. The cost to acquire a customer via exclusively autoplayed videos must be enormous considering the amount of people who actually click through on the autoplaying video to see the ad.

Never understood why but we still do it. The buy in is pretty small. Unless you're national, a few hundred a month gets you a ton of visibility. When you sell high-ticket, a purchase every few months pays for it. Even if you have no sales, branding is branding.

I make an exception to this rule with those ads that pop at the bottom of every Youtube video. The ones that you have to close. I can't remember a single one of those. I can only remember the first one I saw. It was for an aircleaner called "The rabbit". After that, I have zero recollection of any of them.

I asked a company we worked with that wanted to sell us those kind of ads, "What was the last one you remember?" She couldn't answer. She couldn't even remember who she had sold them to recently. It was the silence of someone realizing that what she was selling was a sham. She never brought it up again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ghost emoji posted:

*clicks*

*it's a video*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHtJLABTdCE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've just been watching The Punisher and in episode five he agrees to come to Sarah Lieberman's for dinner and then, without calling to cancel, decides to do something else that day. It's a thing that happens so incredibly often in TV and it shits me every time. In most cases it's not even time sensitive, they just decide to do something else that they could so any time, and even when it is important and urgent they could still just make a loving phone call. That scene where the person is sitting around waiting for the character who decided to just not show up is so unnecessary and dumb.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

When people call apes monkeys, drives me bananas

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It seems like everyone in this city has stopped looking left, then right, when beginning to cross the street. You’re taught this like, every day of every year in elementary school and your parents should have taught you this too. I don’t care if the crosslight says “go,” why aren’t you doing it (this is me as a pedestrian). In a car, at a stop sign, I start to pull off and some jerk walking doesn’t even look to see my car and keeps on walking. I make a full loving stop. Your dumb rear end should too. Pedestrians have the right of way but that doesn’t excuse blatantly just keeping on walking without looking anywhere but their loving tunnel vision. And don’t get me started on bikers cause I already have; durr durr there’s no one else on the road I’m gonna go to go 30mph through this red light in a busy intersection cause I’m on a bike apparently that means I don’t have to follow the rules of the road even though I legally have to. Hilariously enough one of my coworkers said “bikers follow different rules from cars, so cars always have to stop for us no matter what.”

Stores that don’t staff enough. I know it’s all about profits. But it’s a grocery store at 5-6pm, why are only 3/10 lanes and 2/6 express checkouts open?! The other store is worse; it’s busier, they got 2/12 lanes open, 2/4 express; 1/4 5-items-or-less open and the lines there are always long cause their policy is “be super slow no matter what” so you spend 20 minutes in line to get one item.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Some chains try to schedule cashiers in a sort of golden profit ratio where there’s *just* enough that you won’t be too annoyed, but will have a long enough to wait to be tempted into grabbing either items you might need soon, or impulse buy items like drinks and gum in the checkout lanes. Works especially well for bored kids forced to stare at racks of candies and cokes in line.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's even worse in germany compared to the US. At least back there I would occasionally find an empty lane that can start ringing me up right away, but here there is always a wait, no matter what time of day. Most of the time there is just one cashier and they only bring more out if the line gets beyond a certain point. It's made even worse by the fact that there are no baggers, so you have to wait for the old people who don't even bother starting to bag until the end and then you have to wait for them to count out exact change.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I hate when people over-emote to the point where listening to them talk is a chore. I was watching this. Video for a tech review. From a channel Called... Linus. Tech. Tips. And he had constant. Pauses and trailing words when he talked. Because he was making sure his hands were moving. In the right direction- you get the idea. I've been doing my first jobs out of the restaurant industry where you're expected to keep what you say short and sweet and it's actually infuriating when people are spending 30 seconds to say one sentence because they gotta do Mussolini power hands and facial expressions. I miss being able to talk to food distributor reps and being like "The pitch isn't helping. I'm just gonna buy because you have good quality to price, you're a responsive rep, and you're open to bargaining prices." While interrupting these pitches in an office seems like the grandest faux pas.

I'm not huge on MAD TV, but whenever I'm stuck in one of those one-on-ones, I can only ever think of this old Bryan Callen skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amAEJGVBMvU

The supermarket thing mostly comes down to either they can't find more people or the bosses don't understand synergy. They think less people handling the work saves them money but it doesn't in the big picture. As a bar owner friend of mine said recently: "1 bartender makes me $1k on a busy night. Two make me $1.5k. Three make me $3k. And since people got all their drinks, they're gonna come back instead of worrying if they're gonna get more than one beer on their next visit."

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Jun 30, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Two people working on two different computer stations in the same room. Why does one person ALWAYS HAVE TO loving TALK ABOUT ANYTHING THEY SEE? Oh wow did you see this picture on Facebook? Oh I shared you a funny Twinkie thing! OMG is it true Obummer is trying to take the White House in a sneak election?

Are you capable of sitting quietly for more than ten minutes?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Plan Z posted:

I hate when people over-emote to the point where listening to them talk is a chore. I was watching this. Video for a tech review. From a channel Called... Linus. Tech. Tips. And he had constant. Pauses and trailing words when he talked. Because he was making sure his hands were moving. In the right direction- you get the idea. I've been doing my first jobs out of the restaurant industry where you're expected to keep what you say short and sweet and it's actually infuriating when people are spending 30 seconds to say one sentence because they gotta do Mussolini power hands and facial expressions. I miss being able to talk to food distributor reps and being like "The pitch isn't helping. I'm just gonna buy because you have good quality to price, you're a responsive rep, and you're open to bargaining prices." While interrupting these pitches in an office seems like the grandest faux pas.

I'm not huge on MAD TV, but whenever I'm stuck in one of those one-on-ones, I can only ever think of this old Bryan Callen skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amAEJGVBMvU

The supermarket thing mostly comes down to either they can't find more people or the bosses don't understand synergy. They think less people handling the work saves them money but it doesn't in the big picture. As a bar owner friend of mine said recently: "1 bartender makes me $1k on a busy night. Two make me $1.5k. Three make me $3k. And since people got all their drinks, they're gonna come back instead of worrying if they're gonna get more than one beer on their next visit."

Yeah I’ve had people at the store I work at walk out cause of the line. We got a new store manager so hopefully he’ll be more receptive to hiring more staff for the rush time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah I’ve had people at the store I work at walk out cause of the line. We got a new store manager so hopefully he’ll be more receptive to hiring more staff for the rush time.

Happens in kitchens all the time. We threatened to have a massive walkout one night when it was like three guys on a five person line during one of the busiest long periods we ever had. We were all doing prep and helping with dish for like just above minimum at a nice restaurant. The ventilation was broken and the management was dragging their feet with getting it fixed so it was hot as hell. Getting everything out made the GM just go "Oh then we can handle all this business, we'll save money by not hiring anyone!" When we sent our ultimatum, apparently the GM was like "We'll hire more." Then the chef was like "Who would handle the line tomorrow much less next week?" The response was "We'll just move some servers into the kitchen" and I can only imagine what the chef's respons was because the GM was let go by the owner shortly after we threatened to basically tattle to news outlets. That guy was just the most typical dickhead FoH management, complaining when we'd use too many towels but would crack open a $20 bottle of wine every night and share it with the waitstaff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I'm not convinced that what applies to bars also necessarily applies to supermarkets. :shrug:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Two people working on two different computer stations in the same room. Why does one person ALWAYS HAVE TO loving TALK ABOUT ANYTHING THEY SEE? Oh wow did you see this picture on Facebook? Oh I shared you a funny Twinkie thing! OMG is it true Obummer is trying to take the White House in a sneak election?

Are you capable of sitting quietly for more than ten minutes?
They're being friendly and sociable?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I'm not convinced that what applies to bars also necessarily applies to supermarkets. :shrug:

They're being friendly and sociable?

When you get short one-word answers to every question of "oh have you seen this cute dog meme?" possible that the other person is doing actual work and isn't on Facebook. It's like seeing someone reading, do you have to walk up and ask what they're reading?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cowslips Warren posted:

When you get short one-word answers to every question of "oh have you seen this cute dog meme?" possible that the other person is doing actual work and isn't on Facebook. It's like seeing someone reading, do you have to walk up and ask what they're reading?

Nah, I see the cover of what they're reading, Google it, then approach them with a spoiler-filled harangue.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't mind waiting in line occasionally, but I do sometimes wonder why they install 15 checkout lanes and only ever have a couple of them open. Why? Why taunt us with closed checkout lanes? Surely that space could be used for something else!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why do companies still do loving cloth tags? Just print them on or embroider them if you're fancy. They itch and stick up and they're terrible.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I hate the 4th of july. There's been fireworks going off every night since Thursday. Go swallow your fireworks and loving die assholes.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Garrand posted:

I hate the 4th of july. There's been fireworks going off every night since Thursday. Go swallow your fireworks and loving die assholes.

It's actually only the first

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Happy Canada Day

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Happy Canada Day

Thanks you too

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Garrand posted:

This is the first 4th of July that fireworks have been legal in my state, so everyone is already going hog loving wild setting them off nonstop and shooting Roman candles from moving cars and poo poo. The actual 4th is going to burn down half the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is the first 4th of July that fireworks have been legal in my state, so everyone is already going hog loving wild setting them off nonstop and shooting Roman candles from moving cars and poo poo. The actual 4th is going to burn down half the town.

Pennsylvania? They're legal this year here as well and my God the mortars already. My poor dog is already high strung. I dont think his little heart can take much more.