Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I went from 222lbs to 176.5 lbs by quitting alcohol and junk food and swimming and cycling a lot. Also eating a lot on exercise days.

I don't even know how you can go above 222lbs without deciding it's time to lose weight. I felt like utter poo poo and now I feel really good. Lose weight, fat goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVC
May 10, 2018

by Lowtax
I'm 7'5'' so I'm skinny when I'm only 222lbs.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Spermanent Record posted:

I went from 222lbs to 176.5 lbs by quitting alcohol and junk food and swimming and cycling a lot. Also eating a lot on exercise days.

I don't even know how you can go above 222lbs without deciding it's time to lose weight. I felt like utter poo poo and now I feel really good. Lose weight, fat goons!

That's awesome, congratulations! :)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

A Spider Covets posted:

That's awesome, congratulations! :)

It's good because you start to look like a human being again but it's also bad because the lard around your arms and legs, that you managed to convince yourself was muscle goes away and and reveals you to be a scrawny weakling.

Gotta lift some weights too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If feels great when you're only eating normal human sized meals and everyone around you is getting up from the table sluggish and visibly uncomfortable after massively overestimating the amount they need to be full but then determinedly demolishing the whole plate anyway even after reaching the point it causes them discomfort.

It feels great bringing healthy food to work and enraging the fatties just by eating lunch so that they can't restrain themselves from making catty comments. I love refusing donuts for the same reason. It REALLY upsets them to see another person showing even moderate restraint.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

If feels great when you're only eating normal human sized meals and everyone around you is getting up from the table sluggish and visibly uncomfortable after massively overestimating the amount they need to be full but then determinedly demolishing the whole plate anyway even after reaching the point it causes them discomfort.

It feels great bringing healthy food to work and enraging the fatties just by eating lunch so that they can't restrain themselves from making catty comments. I love refusing donuts for the same reason. It REALLY upsets them to see another person showing even moderate restraint.

idk, feels pretty rad to down 3 burgers cause you can and dont have to give a gently caress and all those lesser people suck their salads like loving animals and lower their heads in fear of your majestic physique.

Works best if buff though.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

enjoy ur burgers man

im gonna enjoy this pussy :grin:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

enjoy ur burgers man

im gonna enjoy this pussy :grin:

Eating lots of burgers, then pounding your chest in primal rage usually gets you some pussy.
Windowshaking burping may be required.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I think the key factors to success are consistency, purpose, and removing options from the table.

My most stable low weight was when I was preparing all my lunches for the week on Sunday: grilled chicken breast dipped in hummus (I weighed the hummus container before and after eating to obtain grams consumed) and a steamer bag of broccoli, 3 cups. I didn't mind weighing and tracking the meals because I didn't have to look up different ingredients all the drat time. I would have made more progress but I was also drinking vodka on the weeknights and beer on weekends, but I cracked down on it to improve my performance in kung fu classes. I've never been shredded, but I am optimistic about where I can go in my upcoming thirties, in that since I've overcome asthma and being overweight my whole life, I won't be liable to throw my hands up and declare metabic bankruptcy.

Martial arts can be for self-defense and confidence, but I look to them as performance arts. They give you a bar to reach for that's a little more interesting than tbe "increase distance number and decrease time number" that you see in endurance activities, and that reaching gives you a magnifying glass on what alcohol and crappy food do to your body, or conversely what healthy eating can really do for you. Holding low stances with correct posture builds a lot of muscle quality and demands flexibility, good kicks demand flexibility and balance, and throwing strikes in succession with good form rounds out to a sort of HIIT routine, but with lots of room for improvement on getting the form juuuust right. This is what I mean by "purpose." You shouldn't be trying to lose weight just to look nice or fit clothes, you should be trying to reach a high level of physical performance to which excess fat is merely one obstacle.

Consistency often goes hand in hand with removing options. When you find a couple of recipes that you like to make in bulk and microwave, that makes it easier to keep the habit of bringing your lunch to work, say, and not deciding whether to go to a restaurant or whatever, same with dinner. These days I work where they make food for free, and that makes it a lot harder to even remember that I did bring food to work, so I end up putting a lot of food on my plate when I'm hungry at lunch and finishing it, and then magically getting hungry 2 hours later. It's very hard to opt to just make my own salad and let it settle before deciding I need anything else, when a quesedilla or pasta or pizza is 10 feet away and I don't have to ask for it or go to a checkout counter or anything. We have a salad-only cafe but it's far from my building and I just need to convince myself that it's not a waste of time to walk over there every day or most days. If I still had to pay for my lunch no matter what, I would probably be simmering tofu in curry because I heard the chickens are all getting waterboarded or something, but if you still like chicken or can't afford fish/shrimp instead, simmering/braising it in some kind of curry or sauce and then finishing off with a broil will probably do you wonders. Just watch the sauce because you could easily end up eating half a stick of butter for lunch.

Anyway, consistency and options apply to exercise too. I imagine a lot of people walk into the gym without a clear plan or with a plan that they don't really understand or it feels arbitrary, and they try to do some stuff but they feel like posers in front of all these people that are already in shape. Paying for classes allows you to not have to come up with an arbitrary plan, and if it's at specific times then you can't say "oh I'll just go tomorrow." Again, this is why martial arts worked so well for me.

Good luck!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I also agree with what was posted earlier about starting with stretching if you haven't been exercising. Yoga is a good formal place to start, lots of YouTube channels and you can find one that suits your taste. I also find that being on LSD is a great motivator for wanting to work your tendons or ligaments or whatever it is

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stinky_Pete posted:

I also agree with what was posted earlier about starting with stretching if you haven't been exercising. Yoga is a good formal place to start, lots of YouTube channels and you can find one that suits your taste. I also find that being on LSD is a great motivator for wanting to work your tendons or ligaments or whatever it is

Haha

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hummus is not at all a good diet food, I feel like I should point this out.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zoe posted:

Hummus is not at all a good diet food, I feel like I should point this out.

fat hipster vegan girl proudly showing off her cankles

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Stinky_Pete posted:

ummm if you want to LOOK tight you gotta BE tight

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Went to the gym today, now I can squat press twice my body weight. It's nice because that's a good milestone, it's bad cause that means 580 pounds. One day I'll lift away the shame of my YLLS toxx

Down to 287.5 from 330 now

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Why do I see a lot of people eating cottage cheese?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Piggy Smalls posted:

Why do I see a lot of people eating cottage cheese?

they're too bitchmade to eat enough tuna to die of mercury poisoning

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Zoe posted:

Same, except I can’t refuse donuts. People need to stop bringing them to work.

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

klapman posted:

they're too bitchmade to eat enough tuna to die of mercury poisoning

What is this amount btw. The web says some insanely low amount. I eat a couple Ana a day lol :smith:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

CAN NOT PUKE posted:

What is this amount btw. The web says some insanely low amount. I eat a couple Ana a day lol :smith:

lol yeah it says 12 ounces a week for me and i'm at 287 pounds. Goon project time motherfuckers

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
None of this tuna nonsense, visit the sardine thread and they will convert you to the true path.

Also cottage cheese is good, or black pepper on it and eat it with sliced tomatoes it's great.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Stop trying to find loopholes around the drink water thing. No you can't have diet soda. No not juice either, no matter what fruit it's made from. No little tubes of powdered drink mixes, even if its uncolored and uses stevia. No you won't get bored of just water, that's just your sugar cravings lying to you.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Blaise330 posted:

Stop trying to find loopholes around the drink water thing. No you can't have diet soda. No not juice either, no matter what fruit it's made from. No little tubes of powdered drink mixes, even if its uncolored and uses stevia. No you won't get bored of just water, that's just your sugar cravings lying to you.

But doesn’t that new coke with no sugar have no calories and no sugar?

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
If you can’t find a way to stop drinking sugar water or even worse fake sugar water then you’re not really trying.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

feelix posted:

fat hipster vegan girl proudly showing off her cankles

lol who would have thought eating nothing but carbs would make you fat

also diet drinks are fine, quit being weirds

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teikanmi posted:

lol who would have thought eating nothing but carbs would make you fat

also diet drinks are fine, quit being weirds

I thought there was some theory that the fake sugar was tricking your brain into wanting real sugar or some craving thing. idk

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Burt Sexual posted:

I thought there was some theory that the fake sugar was tricking your brain into wanting real sugar or some craving thing. idk

if it helps you stop binge eating snickers bars and boxes of swiss rolls to have a diet coke twice a day then you should be doing it

goons are just weird all-or-nothing types who can't comprehend that someone with who has shown 0 willpower to stop doing unhealthy things for 20+ years might not be able to go cold turkey on that poo poo

I say this as someone who has done only water for one year and there was literally 0 difference between drinking diet drinks and only water, health and weight-wise

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The tap water here isn't very tasty though, and smells of chlorine a bit. I've lived in places where the tap water was good, and places where the tap water was horrible sulphurous stink water.

Bottled water is an absurdity I refuse to participate in. :colbert:

Water is water. Adding a tablespoon of flavour chemicals doesn't make it not water.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

The tap water here isn't very tasty though, and smells of chlorine a bit.

I have some good news for you:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Adding a tablespoon of flavour chemicals doesn't make it not water.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I drink what is probably too much diet Coke but I'm still dropping weight so I'm not too concerned about it.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Skeleton Ape posted:

I drink what is probably too much diet Coke but I'm still dropping weight so I'm not too concerned about it.

Diet coke doesn't have any calories so I don't know why you would be concerned about it :)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

friendly 2 da void posted:

Diet coke doesn't have any calories so I don't know why you would be concerned about it :)

Because the internet loves to fuss and wring their collective hands about diet drinks for some reason.

I'm down to just one diet coke in the morning (it's free at work) as part of kicking my caffeine addiction but there's nothing wrong with them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Diet drinks are still bad for you, but nowhere near as bad as a normal soda and there's nothing wrong with indulging in even one normal soda a day, so kudos to people who switch to diet to try and better themselves imho. Sure it would be better if you just drank water instead but w/e people can work up to that if they want, or they can drink water and continue to enjoy a diet soda every now and then.

If it's a change that is beneficial to you, even if it's still technically not 'healthy' then it's a great step in the right direction.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has there ever been any actual peer-reviewed hard evidence that diet drinks with sucralose/aspartame/whatever are actually bad for you

I always thought it was mostly hearsay, speculation and internet rumor

Skeptic Magazine did an article on this exact topic: https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/diet-sodas-not-dangerous/

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Diet soda is the sugar addicts methadone. If you use it to kick the habit then more power to ya but if it’s just a crutch until your next fix then lol

The number one thing you can do for your health is kick your sugar habit.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I strongly suspect that zero-calorie sweeteners gently caress up your satiety response and make it more likely that you'll give up calorie reduction. Your brain needs some way to figure out how many calories are in what you're eating so it knows when to signal to stop, I'm pretty sure that taste is a part of it and that it's adaptive over time. So you eat sweet thing, digestion results in some calories, brain goes "this much sweet yields x calories" and eventually brain goes "hey we've eaten enough combination of sweet/richness/etc, time to stop." Then we eat something sweet that yields no calories and brain goes "wait a feckin minute, what's goin on here???" and eventually brain goes "sweet = no calories, got it" and then you eat an actual piece of cake and brain goes "not much calories there, eat more please" and then you're right hosed.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Zoe posted:

Also cottage cheese is good, or black pepper on it and eat it with sliced tomatoes it's great.

hell yeah

i do a simple salad of cucumber, tomato, and mango, seasoned with a bit of salt. Put that poo poo over cottage cheese and you have a solid meal

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This thread(and feeling like a big ol piece of poo poo for a while) have inspired me to at least start tracking my calorie intake. I'll be looking at a gym membership after my vacation next week.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I got too beefy and weighed in over 225 lbs which is my personally set limit, time to die(t)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its very sad that americans apparently cant drink water anymore because they are so used to soda pop and sugary drinks like some sort of retarded adult children