Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LesterGroans posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Jurassic World definitely seems like it cut a reveal that the Indominous Rex had human DNA. These movies love to pull their punches in weird ways.

I just wish they would let it be as stupid as it clearly wants to be, and just own it. Indominus Rex being part human wouldn’t have been any stupider than Grant brokering a deal with raptors by tooting on a bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I still :lol: thinking about the US Godzilla movie from 1998 and how a major part of the "tension" in later parts of the film involves the air force losing track of Godzilla repeatedly as it's walking around the streets of Midtown and having to actively seek out where Godzilla could possibly be.

I’m not even kidding with the brachiosaurus in this game, they’re shorter than the tall trees you can place and the forests are their preferred environment. They’re also not that bright and will wander out of the forests and into the grasslands, which gets them agitated. I check up on them once in a while because the last thing I need is an irate sauropod tearing down my monorail track or crushing guests underfoot, so it’s unsettling when you check the enclosure and your largest dinosaurs just.... aren’t there. I had to check the park’s dino-tracker overview to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind.

Other than that they’re really cool and fun to watch. :downs:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not even kidding with the brachiosaurus in this game, they’re shorter than the tall trees you can place and the forests are their preferred environment. They’re also not that bright and will wander out of the forests and into the grasslands, which gets them agitated. I check up on them once in a while because the last thing I need is an irate sauropod tearing down my monorail track or crushing guests underfoot, so it’s unsettling when you check the enclosure and your largest dinosaurs just.... aren’t there. I had to check the park’s dino-tracker overview to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind.

Other than that they’re really cool and fun to watch. :downs:

I love watching the random guest interactions in this game. I had an Indominious escape and start eating people and it ate this lady while her boyfriend watched, and when it finished it trotted off, and he just stood there like "Well, that happened."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen it is to watch it home or with as empty a theatre as possible so you can make smart rear end comments freely. It is some serious Riff Trax fodder.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

eggyolk posted:

Claire, if you press that button... there's definitely going to be a sequel

*Audience sighs in relief*

Maisie presses button

*Audience wails in agony*

I’m hoping they all get tried with mass murder.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

eggyolk posted:

Claire, if you press that button... there's definitely going to be a sequel

*Audience sighs in relief*

Maisie presses button

*Audience wails in agony*

This was by far the most excruciating part.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Steve2911 posted:

I want this series to go down the Fast & Furious model. A sequel every 2-3 years, each dumber than the last, until eventually you have a raptor-human love triangle.

So you want Chris Pratt dead within 10 years?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect it would've been too edgy for the movie, but I was expecting the Indoraptor to loving murder Maisie in her bed as all of the dinosaurs in the basement get gassed, and for the thematic throughline to be "death finds a way" - a sort of Final Destination of Jurassic Park, the entire movie revolving around a series of miraculous coincidences that seemingly ensure that what was supposed to be dead becomes dead again. I think this would have been a lot more thematically coherent than what we actually got, while still leaving room for the mandatory sequel in that they can still clone more weirdo weaponized dinosaurs (maybe the final Jurassic World movie could have been about some refugees in a warzone being hunted by an Indoraptor 2.0 army genetically engineered to target their ethnic group).

Taking Fallen Kingdom purely as an entertaining summer thriller blockbuster rather than as a thematic piece, it's some pretty good dumb fun, and my main complaint is that the treatment of the volcanic eruption in action scenes rang really hollow - at the very least, some of the scenes should have been restaged to take the threat posed by lava more seriously; even for a creature as large as a baryonyx, I'm not willing to believe that it would survive a flow of lava directly onto its head, or that it would act unnecessarily incautious around flowing lava in the first place. The lava in the scene where Chris Pratt is waking up really should have been several yards further away; it doesn't need to be literally inches away from his head to get across that lava creeping towards a barely-mobile person is a bad situation. There probably should have been some throwaway character killed by flying rock to the head in order to convey that the volcano is a force of nature more deadly than any of the dinosaurs. I'd still say that this was a lot better than TLW and JP3 - although I think that says a lot more about TLW and JP3 - and I'm not sure where it stands relative to JW.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The gasses produced by the lava would have killed anyone nearby. But that doesn't produce good visuals.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

What exactly is the point if having a dinosaur that kills whatever you target with a laser? It seems like if you could target something with a laser, you could, you know, shoot it or blow it up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What exactly is the point if having a dinosaur that kills whatever you target with a laser? It seems like if you could target something with a laser, you could, you know, shoot it or blow it up.

Uh.. hm. Style points?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's to replace the "boots on the ground," rather than the weapons themselves. So you send it in to storm the bunker whatever and risk its life instead of your soldiers? Yes it's dumb as gently caress because once you stop the frequency it's just going to turn around and maul your troops.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wonder if it would react the way I cat would if you waved the laser on a wall.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's to replace the "boots on the ground," rather than the weapons themselves. So you send it in to storm the bunker whatever and risk its life instead of your soldiers? Yes it's dumb as gently caress because once you stop the frequency it's just going to turn around and maul your troops.

How does it even replace the boots on the ground since you have to deliver it to the doorstep of whoever you want killed/eaten and you still have to have a soldier there with direct line of sight to use the dumb gun thing and to be close enough for the dinosaur to hear the sound too. Then you need people to tranq it and get it back in its cage. If anything you need more troops then if you simply shot people with guns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

And what is a dinosaur really bringing to the table that a sufficiently trained bear or tiger can't?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Phenomena homage?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

That latter part is brought up by Wu. That's why they want Blue because she learned to see Owen as friend, not food. The new versions of the Indoraptor are to be raised by Blue and have her human training taught to them

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

glad she is dead posted:

And what is a dinosaur really bringing to the table that a sufficiently trained bear or tiger can't?

Genetic bulletproof scales???
and Smirks I guess

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Plus it was stressed that the Indoraptor was a prototype. I figured that the control method would have been refined in future generations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The us military tried to weaponize bees and lsd they’re dumb

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Weaponizing animals is still an incredibly dumb idea and it’s hilarious that the series keeps pushing for it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

That latter part is brought up by Wu. That's why they want Blue because she learned to see Owen as friend, not food. The new versions of the Indoraptor are to be raised by Blue and have her human training taught to them

Shouldn't they want Owen then for knowing how to train velociraptors?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No, because as the video recordings Maisie watches show, Blue was unique among the raptors Owen trained, showing far greater intelligence and empathy than the others. Wu believes that she alone is capable of raising the Indoraptor to respect and cherish its creators. Owen just happened to be lucky enough to have the one raptor in his care who doesn't want to kill all humans.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Weaponizing animals is still an incredibly dumb idea and it’s hilarious that the series keeps pushing for it.

Especially because outside of dogs there’s not really a real-world equivalent to point to as an example of that practice. It’s not like we have a Bear Force.

But we fuckin’ should

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

Especially because outside of dogs there’s not really a real-world equivalent to point to as an example of that practice.

Inside of dogs it's too dark to point anything out! :groucho:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Steve2911 posted:

Not in the UK. Must be a rights issue. :shrug:

I literally bought both JP novels from amazon the other week?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do remember that one of those wild Jurassic Park 4 rumors was that they'd use a bit of dog DNA.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's dumb as gently caress because if a company is spending tens of millions of dollars to get their hands on a dinosaur, even if they can clone it the cost of those clones and the initial purchase is surely hilariously cost-ineffective compared to just training human soldiers and treating them as expendable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only way weaponizing dinos make any sense is if you create a world where bond-like villains exist (and all the crazy that comes with it) and are just part of every day life. One of them wanting to take the dinos from the theme park and turn them into weapons and guards and give them laser beams? Yeah I’d buy it without thinking about it.

Kinda how John Wick normalized the idea of they’re in a world where there’s this entire assassin society with their own economy and rules and poo poo and the world just chugs along knowing they’re there.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only way weaponizing dinos make any sense is if you create a world where bond-like villains exist (and all the crazy that comes with it) and are just part of every day life. One of them wanting to take the dinos from the theme park and turn them into weapons and guards and give them laser beams? Yeah I’d buy it without thinking about it.

Kinda how John Wick normalized the idea of they’re in a world where there’s this entire assassin society with their own economy and rules and poo poo and the world just chugs along knowing they’re there.

This movie kind of did that, did you see all of the various Cliché Supervillains at that auction?

These movies no longer take place in anything resembling the real world. Jurassic Park was all about what happens if we brought something from the past into our present. Now? We're exploring a fantasy world where dinosaurs have existed for almost 30 years, everybody has grown bored of that fact, and now they want to turn them into killing machines for some reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It kinda makes sense as like a super-secret project, if the public had no knowledge of it. So you could send a really small team with an Indo-raptor, have the raptor go in and assassinate someone by putting the laser on them, and nobody would be able to blame you because it would just go down as a random dinosaur attack.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Plus it was stressed that the Indoraptor was a prototype. I figured that the control method would have been refined in future generations.

Yes. Wu specifically states that's why they need Blue, so that future Indoraptors see her as a mother figure, and respond to her commands. Not that she would have played ball with them since she seems to be pretty set on just loving off and doing her own thing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Make the next movie about Blue and her adventures.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

21 Muns posted:

In retrospect it would've been too edgy for the movie, but I was expecting the Indoraptor to loving murder Maisie in her bed as all of the dinosaurs in the basement get gassed, and for the thematic throughline to be "death finds a way" - a sort of Final Destination of Jurassic Park, the entire movie revolving around a series of miraculous coincidences that seemingly ensure that what was supposed to be dead becomes dead again. I think this would have been a lot more thematically coherent than what we actually got, while still leaving room for the mandatory sequel in that they can still clone more weirdo weaponized dinosaurs (maybe the final Jurassic World movie could have been about some refugees in a warzone being hunted by an Indoraptor 2.0 army genetically engineered to target their ethnic group).

I realized after writing this that it sounded kind of mean to Maisie, so I would like to clarify that I absolutely thought that Maisie was one of the most compelling parts of the movie, and I'd consider her the "heart" of the movie; I just think that her character arc would have worked extremely well if she'd died at that point in time. I probably would have ended the movie with a flashback to the original Maisie dying in the car crash, with some subtle (by the standards of Jurassic Park sequels) asteroid imagery to hammer the point in. That's roughly the level of cruelty I expect from a Jurassic Park sequel that uses "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is" in the trailer.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You'd think after the 2nd Frankendino was punked by a raptor theyd say "you know this is expensive and dumb let's go back to just using raptors" but I guess not.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do remember that one of those wild Jurassic Park 4 rumors was that they'd use a bit of dog DNA.

Dinosaurs with fur instead of feathers would be adorable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

You'd think after the 2nd Frankendino was punked by a raptor theyd say "you know this is expensive and dumb let's go back to just using raptors" but I guess not.

Dinosaurs with fur instead of feathers would be adorable.
Trevorrow has confirmed that the Indoraptor is the last hybrid we’ll be seeing in a JP movie.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The movie would have been improved with more time on the baby raptor videos

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Trevorrow has confirmed that the Indoraptor is the last hybrid we’ll be seeing in a JP movie.

Cyberdinos confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also, I guess you could make the argument that there are people running the world now that prove every day that evil and retarded can go hand in hand.

• Locked thread