Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
goddamn... i watched the trailer for CS during E3 and was drawn in cause IMAGINATION!!!! (as a coping mechanism...) I played the first episdoe of LiS last week to see what this is like and it's intense... And then morbidly excited to pop on CS when it's out today... yeah that was a little more intense than I needed. I just kind of lost it with the bruises on Chris' arm and it was all downhill after that.

I don't even know how to react to the ending... is that his imagination as he's tumbling off that treehouse rail or is this his traumatic event that brings out his actual power? It's heartwarming to believe it... but all the poo poo I went through I never developed powers and just ended up hurt, angry, and sad. so I don't know... child abuse loving sucks no matter how you look at it. Looking back it was a mistake to 'play' this, but I do applaud the developers for tackling some really dark poo poo that rarely gets light outside of those who actually experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
DontNod really likes their Life is Strange protagonists to have light hair and freckles don't they?

They even have similar poses in the promo art!

Anyway this did its job, got me in the mood for LiS 2. I hope people are right about it being about someone on the road, I thought that'd make for a good Life is Strange premise ever since Chloe and Rachel talked about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SeaWolf posted:

goddamn... i watched the trailer for CS during E3 and was drawn in cause IMAGINATION!!!! (as a coping mechanism...) I played the first episdoe of LiS last week to see what this is like and it's intense... And then morbidly excited to pop on CS when it's out today... yeah that was a little more intense than I needed. I just kind of lost it with the bruises on Chris' arm and it was all downhill after that.

I don't even know how to react to the ending... is that his imagination as he's tumbling off that treehouse rail or is this his traumatic event that brings out his actual power? It's heartwarming to believe it... but all the poo poo I went through I never developed powers and just ended up hurt, angry, and sad. so I don't know... child abuse loving sucks no matter how you look at it. Looking back it was a mistake to 'play' this, but I do applaud the developers for tackling some really dark poo poo that rarely gets light outside of those who actually experience it.

I'm thinking it was one of the two neighbor boys, probably the younger who actually has powers, since they make the directorial choice to zoom in on this highly detailed face of someone who is in the game for all of two seconds for a lingering closeup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

DontNod really likes their Life is Strange protagonists to have light hair and freckles don't they?

They even have similar poses in the promo art!

Anyway this did its job, got me in the mood for LiS 2. I hope people are right about it being about someone on the road, I thought that'd make for a good Life is Strange premise ever since Chloe and Rachel talked about it.

It would also expand your environment (as well as your cast) a bit as you wouldn't just be regulated to a single town.

But yeah, that part of the ending was definitely not Chris' imagination (even he's surprised by it afterwards) but he's most likely not the one that did it (as mentioned, they make sure you get a real good look at the neighbor boy at the very end). Obviously both Chris and the boy (probably said boy's brother as well) are going to have a fairly major role in LiS 2 but whether either of them will be the player character remains to be seen (though I'm not really sure who else it could be at this point).

Plus, as long as they keep things hella gay (which shouldn't be a problem given some of the stuff we learn/can infer about Chris), having a male protagonist would be an interesting change of pace for this series as we haven't had many male characters so far that aren't potential love interests, incidental characters who don't matter much to the general plot, or antagonists (I think the closest we've gotten so far are the North brothers from BtS and William Price).

Having some kind of telekinesis power could lead to some interesting situations/puzzles at any rate (and probably cause less damage overall then time travel would, theoretically anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another possibility is there is no single player character in LiS 2 and instead we jump around to different perspectives as the game goes on (sort of like Heavy Rain, only done well).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't think we've seen the protagonist of LiS2 yet. Chris will factor in it somehow obviously, and maybe that weird news story about the cop killing a suspect in Seattle and dying himself under "mysterious circumstances" or whatever it was.

Also the ending seemed like just another bit of Chris' imagination. As a reaction to his dad losing it like that, and being threatened to be taken away (by both his grandparents and the neighbor as well) he imagines he can fly now. I don't think it was meant to be literal at all.

Oh, anyone scan the QR code that was on the little flyer in Chris' room? I tried it just to try it and it actually works! It says

A ragged colt may make a good horse

Whatever that means.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think that ending scene is meant to be taken at face value. Outside of a few dream sequences Life is Strange isn't a series that deals much in abstractions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think that ending scene is meant to be taken at face value. Outside of a few dream sequences Life is Strange isn't a series that deals much in abstractions.

Also, in every other instance in this game where Chris is imagining something it was pretty easy to tell and they show you what he actually did afterwards, the scene where he was falling didn't feel that way (plus Chris seemed genuinely surprised by it). As has been mentioned, if there was some kind of power at work there it was probably due to the neighbor kid we saw at the end rather than Chris himself.

Though then again, I believe they did say that while Captain Spirit ties into LiS 2 and your actions in the former will have consequences in the latter (in fact, this was originally just going to be part of LiS 2), it's not crucial that you need to play this in order to understand the plot of Season 2 so who knows what they're going to do.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, the original is, but this demo is kind of one giant abstraction.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Either way I imagine that all will be explained in LiS 2, though maybe not in the first episode. There's still a possibility that we haven't even met our new protagonist yet (though I still kind of doubt it given the abrupt way that Captain Spirit ended). DontNod said we should start hearing more around August so maybe we'll get a slightly clearer picture then.

Assuming that the game is going to involve travel in some fashion it might be cool if we weren't stuck in the same town or even the same state for the whole game, thereby giving us a much larger world to explore.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Though then again, I believe they did say that while Captain Spirit ties into LiS 2 and your actions in the former will have consequences in the latter (in fact, this was originally just going to be part of LiS 2), it's not crucial that you need to play this in order to understand the plot of Season 2 so who knows what they're going to do.

Its pretty obvious that they released this demo because:

a) They wanted to make sure fans realized that you were playing as not chloe/max
b) That the game would be shifting its themes a bit (i.e. probably not gay)
c) to get out ahead of A and B and also give the audience reasons to empathize and like Chris as a character before the release of the game.

There is a world where they dont do this, and they release a trailer for LiS 2 in like August and there is no max or Chloe and there is some huge nerd rage backlash.

The demo, for all of its charm (Why am I the only one freaking out about Power Bear?) really tells us nothing other than some back story and some vague world building/plot details. It also shows us some of their new tech, in the multiple objectives at once and inventory stuff.

e: I cannot believe I just unironically described quests and an inventory as "New tech"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Open world, levitation, superpowers... Life is Saints Row 4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dontnod have been saying no Chloe or Max going on three years now and still there's thousands of LiS fans all over the place posting "here's how they can still appear in LiS 2" like Bernie mathematicians.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Paul Zuvella posted:

b) That the game would be shifting its themes a bit (i.e. probably not gay)

Maybe, maybe not. There's a couple of points in the episode where Chris brings up how his dad polices his gender/sexuality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They’re definitely not gonna touch gay ten year olds (and neither should you)!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe, maybe not. There's a couple of points in the episode where Chris brings up how his dad polices his gender/sexuality.

It might be just me but he also looked pretty smitten with that boy he saw at the end, but we'll see (I doubt there's gonna be much though since we're dealing with literal children here).

Though even when they do release the trailer now I can almost guarantee there will be some fans going "Where's Max/Chloe/etc?". Hell, I bet some are already confused because I've seen people who thought BtS WAS Life is Strange 2.

Since we know the games are still in the same universe there might still be a chance of us running into some famillar faces at some point but I doubt it since the developers seemed pretty adamant about the fact that Max's story was over and LiS 2 would feature a brand new cast and setting. Time will tell of course (I wouldn't mind some of the old VAs coming back to play new characters at least though).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

exquisite tea posted:

I mean it'd be a shitshow with LiS' community, but I'm sure it doesn't need to be said that gay coding isn't inherently sexual.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There's my hot dawg man!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone think that LiS 2 can live up to love of the first game? Considering the fan community I think it's a scary hard act to follow.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Larryb posted:

It might be just me but he also looked pretty smitten with that boy he saw at the end, but we'll see

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

Does anyone think that LiS 2 can live up to love of the first game? Considering the fan community I think it's a scary hard act to follow.

I mean, I think it is safe to say no. LiS was one of those things that just come together to be such much better than the sum of its parts. They struck lightning in a bottle between the look, music, characters, and themes.

Dontnod's output has always been... lets say mixed, so there really is a not insignificant chance that they just got really, really lucky with season 1 and season 2 could just be middling.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I think the animation has certainly improved from the first game, but overall I think Deck9's facial animations in particular for Before the Storm were still better than this. That said it's a free game so I'm not gonna judge them too harshly on that.

Though I did wince when Chris' dad reacted to something I did by t-posing on top of his chair.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the very least, they seem to have figured out how to make the characters emote properly this time (though as mentioned it's still not quite as good as the animation in BtS was). Even the writing seems a little better, though that could be just because most of it is coming out of the mouth of a child and therefore is a little easier to forgive.

As has been mentioned, LiS 2 is probably going to make or break this franchise. If it's as or more successful than the original then there's probably going to be more to come, but if not this could be the last we see of this particular series. But BtS wound up being better than I initially expected and LiS 2 seems to have the same director and writer as the original so I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt right now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean I have high hopes for LIS2 based on this little prequel. The gameplay and music and look and general writing felt like I was right back in Life is Strange, like I never left. If anything this prequel gave me confidence that LIS2 is gonna be able to be good again. What's to be seen is if the playable characters are gonna be able to be as interesting as Chloe, Rachel and (sort of) Max. This prequel did the good thing of making Chris not so much a blank slate like Max was, so if they can manage to do that with LIS2 than I think it'll be great.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was there no screen showing what percentage of player made certain choices or did I somehow miss it? I mean, it's not like there are a load of big decisions in this but still..

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I feel like the ideal protagonist would be sort of a fusion of Max and Chloe's personalities. In other words, enough of a blank slate for the player to imprint on but also enough of their own character that they don't get upstaged by a majority of the cast (there were times where it felt more like LiS was actually Chloe's story and Max was just along for the ride). Chris definitely seems like a step in the right direction in that regard.

glad she is dead posted:

Was there no screen showing what percentage of player made certain choices or did I somehow miss it? I mean, it's not like there are a load of big decisions in this but still..

Nope, Farewell didn't have one either. You'd think they would have at least thrown in a short teaser after the credits though seeing as this is basically Life is Strange 2 Episode 0.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 26, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is basically the Ground Zeros of Life is Strange.

In that it is basically the prologue snipped off and released on its own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Square-Enix probably loves Life is Strange because it's a franchise with very little overhead that sells in the millions to groups who don't even normally play many other Squeenix games. It's one of their few western IP acquisitions they haven't completely bungled in the last five years.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I kinda hosed up and skipped to the ending before I had a chance to do all the quests, what was in the treasure chest? and was there anything particularly exciting about the monster you fight in the car?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I did that too, but if you select Continue from the main menu it puts you back to right before you start the final cutscene so you can finish all the quests.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I kinda hosed up and skipped to the ending before I had a chance to do all the quests, what was in the treasure chest? and was there anything particularly exciting about the monster you fight in the car?

1. Pictures of Chris and his mom, depressing!
2. Nothing except that you find out Mantroid is a portmanteau of Mantle and Asteroid St., the corner where Chris' mom was killed in a hit and run. More depressing!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The developers have literally said that this was originally going to be a segment of LiS 2 but then they decided to branch it off and release it as its own thing so that's a pretty good way of putting it. Of course the question now is whether Episode 1 of LiS 2 will pick off right where this left off or if we'll do a time jump of some kind (it could even possibly take place slighty before or even during Captain Spirit as well).

Who knows, LiS 2 might even wind up having multiple playable characters (but probably not as that might be a little hard to make work in a game like this). The closest we've come so far is that one section of the original where you play as Victoria for about a minute or two (I suppose you could count Chloe being the protagonist for the majority of BtS and then Max taking over for the Farewell chapter as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2018

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

exquisite tea posted:

1. Pictures of Chris and his mom, depressing!
2. Nothing except that you find out Mantroid is a portmanteau of Mantle and Asteroid St., the corner where Chris' mom was killed in a hit and run. More depressing!

Fun!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well, that was SHITE.

LiS was probably my favourite game of the last 8 years and I fuckin' hated that. It was worse than BtS. It's like they chucked away everything good or interesting from the original and left in all the obviously awful stuff.

• Choices? Gone. (The neighbour is a cutscene!)
  • Compelling scenarios you don't normally see in video games? Gone.
  • Nuanced characters who played like broad stereotypes but then had some unexpected depth. G- actually there was some of this with the dad but...
  • Interaction with those characters? Nope!
  • Any kind of rethink to the glacial room-examining gameplay loop OR significant graphical upgrade in the last 3 years? NOPE, get back to guessing PINs and wondering why the quickrun button is disabled when it decides to make you walk for 2 minutes for NO REASON.

Seriously can't get over what a terrible idea it is to have a kid character. It means limited agency, options and a disconnect between what you the player understand and what the child character you're playing does.

Thought maybe the imagination scenes would let them really let loose on doing some wacky stuff and genre-bending, but nope! It's CLICK ON THE ROCKET CAR TO MAKE THE KID BORINGLY SIT DOWN AND MAKE SCRIPTED ROCKET NOISES.

The reason LiS worked so well was in contrast to Telltale's output at the time. Sorry to repeat myself, but in Telltale's GoT game, you examine a rack of spears and your protag goes "Hmmm, a rack of spears." In LiS you peek at the letter your depressed friend recieved from her family and it informs her character and you can later use this to talk her off a loving ledge.

In Telltale GOT you chose which character to side with only for those characters to then act and end in exactly the same meaningless unexciting way, while LiS personally tested you on your views on euthanasia!

The adventures of Captain Whogivesashit feels like a Telltale game. What choices are we looking forward to carrying over into LiS2? Whether or not we set a firecracker off in our backyard? Oh, the drama!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This was a free demo that is most likely not at all indicative of what LiS2 as a whole will be. Jesus, cool your jets.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this is just a glorified tech demo that isn't even necessary to understand the plot of LiS 2 (and we knew this going in), calm down.

That aside, while I know the pin code for the phone now ("hawtdawg" spelled out using the numbers on a phone), is there any actual way for the player to figure it out on their own (like something around the house you can look at or something)?

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Well, you do find the phone beside the dad's laptop which has a Hotdog Man webpage open...but apart from that rather tenuous hint, if it even is a hint, I've got nothing.

I know one thing for sure. I would never have sussed out the solution to that on my lonesome. And I completed Monkey Island in that long-forgotten era before Gamefaqs was a thing that existed. Not Lechuck's Revenge though. I had to order a book from the library for that one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My proudest accomplishment in all of video games was figuring out the D'ni counting system and fire marble puzzles in Riven over the course of several months. Last night I just googled the combination for the dad's locker because that's how little patience I have left now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Challenge run: Do all the chores while in the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My proudest accomplishment in all of video games was figuring out the D'ni counting system and fire marble puzzles in Riven over the course of several months. Last night I just googled the combination for the dad's locker because that's how little patience I have left now.

The locker combination can at least be guessed from stuff you can look at around the house. The phone PIN just seems unnecessarily obtuse to me as, based on the other games in the series, your first instinct is going to be to look for numbers.

Not sure how anyone could get the idea of using words instead unless you just start punching things in randomly. It just could have been hinted at better is all (though this isn't the first time we've had something really obscure and easy to miss in LiS game, the graffiti on Eliot's wall in BtS Episode 2 for example). At the very least, if you're going to be that subtle about it than don't make it part of the list of objectives you can complete.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 26, 2018

• Locked thread