Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lamo
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011385283562967041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol lynch fans owned he always was a lovely person

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
James Comey: I *am* the FBI

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol imagine andy and lucy having an argument about trump

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I can sympathize with an accelerationist take on Trump's presidency, but good lord, this is why you better couch that sentence in a paragraph of "people are suffering" and "Trump can lick my rear end".

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

acksplode posted:

I can sympathize with an accelerationist take on Trump's presidency, but good lord, this is why you better couch that sentence in a paragraph of "people are suffering" and "Trump can lick my rear end".

he did and everyone is quoting him out of context because th eyre the media

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nah, I read the quote in context when it was published and immediately felt that I understood its point, and that its point was going to be misunderstood. His language sounds like praise to anyone who wants to hear it that way, and that's on him:

quote:

He is undecided about Donald Trump. “He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much. No one is able to counter this guy in an intelligent way.” While Trump may not be doing a good job himself, Lynch thinks, he is opening up a space where other outsiders might. “Our so-called leaders can’t take the country forward, can’t get anything done. Like children, they are. Trump has shown all this.”

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean, it's not really on him though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's absolutely on him. If he was out-of-touch enough to not realize how those words would be used, it's on him. If he wasn't aware of what it means to offer a quote that even sounds like praise for Trump at this current political moment, that's on him. If he wants to say how Trump might go down as a great president without acknowledging the pain and damage he is currently causing, that's gonna come across a certain way, and that's on him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wait so we're dogging on him for not worrying about people deliberately misrepresenting him?

nailed him!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lemme give you some media training 101: If you're volunteering to do an interview that you know will be published, you should be careful with what you say, because you're going to be held responsible for it. And you sure as poo poo better speak carefully when you're talking about a topic that is literally life or death for some people. His quote comes off as glib, as if politics is an abstraction to him, and not the bone-crushing reality it is for others, and it is easily interpreted as praise for Trump. That's no one's fault but Lynch's.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

an extremely online outlook

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
or, you could just be david lynch and say whatever the gently caress you want

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That's fine, it just leaves you open to a powerful fascist bringing you up at his rally as if you're a supporter, but if that doesn't bother you then go off king!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Jesus dude, you need a drat fine cup of decaf. I read his quote and immediately knew it was not a complement. You read it a different way. If we asked him for clarification I'm guessing he would say "what did it mean to you?"

Of course Trump didn't understand it though. That's the whole loving point... That this guy can't be reasoned with using intellect and holy poo poo what year is it?!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Lynch liked Reagan, Obama, and Sanders, though he at least seems aware Trump sucks it makes sense that he'd have a (dumb) take about him at least disrupting things, he's kinda politically clueless/inchoate and just likes outsiders.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

acksplode posted:

Lemme give you some media training 101: If you're volunteering to do an interview that you know will be published, you should be careful with what you say, because you're going to be held responsible for it. And you sure as poo poo better speak carefully when you're talking about a topic that is literally life or death for some people. His quote comes off as glib, as if politics is an abstraction to him, and not the bone-crushing reality it is for others, and it is easily interpreted as praise for Trump. That's no one's fault but Lynch's.

yes thank you for slamming a self-isolating artist for not having a savvy social media presence. you loving rear end in a top hat. you dumb rear end in a top hat.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

acksplode posted:

This is a bone-chilling sentiment. God help you.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[quote="“Your Parents”" post="“485455051”"]
yes thank you for slamming a self-isolating artist for not having a savvy social media presence. you loving rear end in a top hat. you dumb rear end in a top hat.
[/quote]

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[quote="“Rageaholic Monkey”" post="“485445714”"]
Yeah, uhh, about that:
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1011300546731499520

I’m not okay with this even though he’s calling Trump stupid and a child. That does not make him great or right. Lynch is contradicting himself here.

I thought Lynch was against terrible people, but maybe he just doesn’t follow things closely enough.

It’s not a good look for him.
[/quote]

Good God you are as dense as they come.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm dense because David Lynch doesn't keep up with politics and says dumb contradictory poo poo publicly that isn't representative of the current political climate?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bet Trump tries to call Lynch now. I would do anything to hear that conversation.:lol:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
“38 new posts?? Hot drat he’s either dead or making season 4.... oh.”

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

“38 new posts?? Hot drat he’s either dead or making season 4.... oh.”

he's dead....... to me

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

just kidding I don't care

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm counting down the hours until my BF finds out about this and has a complete meltdown.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Guys he's rich as hell, he's probably not going to have great political insights

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RM, I feel like maybe you need to hear this at the minute: not all artists you like are going to share your political views, or care about politics to the extent you do. This is okay.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are we really being shocked and appalled that David Lynch has a different and somewhat disturbing point of view on things than the general public?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but everybody in the other threads is all like "Welp good thing I never got around to watching Twin Peaks" and "Mulholland Drive was overrated anyway"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
It means exactly what I think it means because he can do no wrong.
-- Lynch fans on Lynch
Or
-- Trump fans on Trump

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

RM, I feel like maybe you need to hear this at the minute: not all artists you like are going to share your political views, or care about politics to the extent you do. This is okay.
I know that, it just sucks when it's somebody who makes some of my favorite kind of art that can be really abstract and weird and out of the box and even include politically progressive stuff like the Denise thing in The Return (fix your hearts or die) :(

Like okay, I can understand if he's not as far left as I am, but I'd rather him not speak out publicly about these things if he's gonna use language that could be misconstrued and gets loving Trump to thank him and poo poo.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but everybody in the other threads is all like "Welp good thing I never got around to watching Twin Peaks" and "Mulholland Drive was overrated anyway"

I liked the one in the Trump thread that said "I'll never watch Stranger Things now"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

my man been watching zizek videos lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still dont know what he was trying to say there, its was a weird thing to say. But hey, Lynch is an weird guy, and always had weird political stances, like that whole thing of saving the world through transcendental meditation or something

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I read an interview with Mark Frost recently where he was talking about the progressive social themes of Twin Peaks, and when asked if Lynch shared his views said something to the effect of "he operates in his own reality"

e: "he has his own consciousness"

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 26, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's not that hard to understand

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

hawowanlawow posted:

it's not that hard to understand

Yeah, compared to him travelling up to the Teufelsberg to chant “Invincible Germany”, this is not that crazy.

Seriously, it‘s just worded badly. And not nearly as awkwardly as Lars von Trier. :shrug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe this is why he prefers making movies to explaining his ideas in words

I'm reminded of something that happened after 9/11. German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen called the attacks "the greatest work of art in history", people were shocked and performances of his work were cancelled. One writer commented on it that artists' thoughts, by definition of what they do, move along different tracks than those of the general population and if you didn't want them to voice surprising, shocking or radical opinions, you shouldn't ask them, but also that as an artist confronted with interview questions you should check whether you're not better off letting your art do the talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
As an rear end in a top hat with an art history education, I have to say separating the art from the artist and from the context of the art is hard as gently caress. You can pick your perspective, but the cognitive dissonance is hard to deal with sometimes. It's harder the closer you are to the art emotionally.