Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
*assorted ambiguous biological sounds*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Corporate finally put up an Active Shooter Response infographic in the kitchen. I find the stick figure used in the "Fight Back" section hilarious. It's holding a folding chair and going after the shooter stick figure like it just came out to :bahgawd: "Bah Gawd is that The Undertaker's music?!?!"

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*is clearly in the act of eating while also talking*

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fhqwhgads posted:

Corporate finally put up an Active Shooter Response infographic in the kitchen. I find the stick figure used in the "Fight Back" section hilarious. It's holding a folding chair and going after the shooter stick figure like it just came out to :bahgawd: "Bah Gawd is that The Undertaker's music?!?!"

We just had to watch a 15 minute active shooter training video that was trying to be super edgy by actually depicting active shooter scenarios with blood and people dying. It included hilariously ~dramatic~ scenes like some guy being fired freaking out soap opera style for 30 seconds over it before going stiff and emotionless, pulling a handgun out of his pants and nailing the HR lady in the head, and a guy with headphones sitting down next to the soon-to-be shooter on a bench, at which point the shooter pulls a full 12-gauge out of his backpack, points it at headphones guy, taps him on the shoulder to get his attention, says "Hey", and then blows him away.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

We just had to watch a 15 minute active shooter training video that was trying to be super edgy by actually depicting active shooter scenarios with blood and people dying. It included hilariously ~dramatic~ scenes like some guy being fired freaking out soap opera style for 30 seconds over it before going stiff and emotionless, pulling a handgun out of his pants and nailing the HR lady in the head, and a guy with headphones sitting down next to the soon-to-be shooter on a bench, at which point the shooter pulls a full 12-gauge out of his backpack, points it at headphones guy, taps him on the shoulder to get his attention, says "Hey", and then blows him away.

Jesus loving Christ

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

I feel like somebody made this as a prank and then HR droids (who as a job requirement have no sense of humor whatsoever) started buying it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Suddenly I don't feel so weird about having to walk through a metal detector to enter my building anymore.

No wait, it's still weird.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Discendo Vox posted:

That's loving beautiful, that is. It's TYOOL 2018, why do people still not read documentation?

Depends on how much I trust it. I didn't read a lot of the documentation for our last software because it was never updated. They also stopped releasing patch notes. So when they'd fix something that was horrendously broken I wouldn't know about it.

Medical software.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

I feel like somebody made this as a prank and then HR droids (who as a job requirement have no sense of humor whatsoever) started buying it.

It was clearly made by law enforcement, the police are portrayed as saintly guardian angels. My favorite bit was during the fight section when a worker (black) subdued the shooter (white) with a fire extinguisher, and a few seconds later like five officers round the corner with guns drawn to the sight of a black guy huffing and puffing over a comatose white guy, and the officers... put their guns down and slowly approach the guy to tell him it's going to be alright and they'll handle it from here. Yeah I loving wish, video.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol if there’s an active shooter in my office I’m getting wasted by a coworker. Three overcompensating chuckleheads carry daily and always talk a big game about using them if bad things ever happen.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

VanguardFelix posted:

Lol if there’s an active shooter in my office I’m getting wasted by a coworker. Three overcompensating chuckleheads carry daily and always talk a big game about using them if bad things ever happen.

During orientation hr guy reminds us this is a private business, and that we cant conceal carry on the premises. Then he says if we went through the lockerroom right now theyd find 30-40 guns, so dont get caught or keep it in your glovebox.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Our active shooter training video was also made by cops and featured a dude with a black tactical vest walking into a lobby, drawing a shotgun, and wasting two people as an opener. Which was unexpected. This combined with it being relatively short and to the point means I give it a 9/10. Would watch while muttering about HR wasting my time with bullshit again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Why oh why did I agree to a business lunch at a place that takes like two goddamn hours for service with two people I desperately loathe

Maybe I will be sick tomorrow

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tnuctip posted:

During orientation hr guy reminds us this is a private business, and that we cant conceal carry on the premises. Then he says if we went through the lockerroom right now theyd find 30-40 guns, so dont get caught or keep it in your glovebox.

I have no words, it’s like seeing the face of god.

:911:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tnuctip posted:

My office campus doubles as a dispatch point for transit police (don't ask, it's complicated) and boy nothing wakes you up in the morning quite like holding the door open on the way in from the parking lot for four guys in body armor with AR's.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Hey guys I showed up a bit late to the conference call can you take a quick minute to recap what we've discussed so far?

https://github.com/joshnewlan/say_what

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I literally brought an MP5 to work in a backpack at my old job.

We had a "show off your gun(s)" day

:911:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Hey guys I showed up a bit late to the conference call can you take a quick minute to recap what we've discussed so far?

https://github.com/joshnewlan/say_what
Oh my god. This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I was screaming out loud in my living room here. This is a thing of pure beauty. I love it so much.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

My company fired all the old security guards and replaced them with armed guards in body armor because the employee engagement survey said we didn't feel secure at work.

It was a very vague question and everyone I spoke to thought it meant job security because of all the layoffs. Everyone got to write comments so they should have known this.

It's being trumpeted as the company listening to us.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like to take the less generous and more malicious viewpoint of they did listen...and are ensuring productivity continues despite job security concerns.

Man where do people work where metal detectors and armed guards are considered useful? Plus can be afforded?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

As a northerner in the south its still a little bit different, but not a big whoop really. Then again i have another nothern transplant colleague that loudly referred to southerners as being traitors and still pissed off they lost the war.

On the other hand i had some training today that was actually useful, and didnt even have to ask for it. Also were actually encouraged to spend money if its on something that would be useful. Honestly its a bigger culture shock culturally corporate wise than socially.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SpartanIvy posted:

I literally brought an MP5 to work in a backpack at my old job.

We had a "show off your gun(s)" day

I had "do a Scotch tasting" as my sole annual objective once; after two rounds of layoffs nobody had any idea what I did all day. A $300 budget too. We had a Macallan, a Balvenie, a Jura, a Scapa, and three cheap options from Trader Joes (notably Lismore, a fantastic bargain for tasty liquor). Oh wait, I had a Scapa. "We" had the other stuff.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If OP's employer has a warehouse, they have an opportunity to introduce a new safety film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChOHnSL7ZCg

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

loving Excel with its floating point bullshit showing a difference at 10^-15 or something when the numbers are the same. We go down to a penny for our seriatim data but in aggregate we do to the dollar, thank God.
This drives me nuts. Our GL goes to 2 decimals but the Excel add in pulls from the 2 decimal datacube to scientific somehow. Thanks Oracle?

Hoshi posted:

Can I ask what you're studying for?
CPA. So fun... So not studying enough...

Radirot posted:

true, i dont know, maybe I'm too paranoid about not appearing to be motived or something. it's a small company and everyone has to maintain this gung-ho work ethic but with how overworked i'm feeling i can't really pretend to give a poo poo anymore.
THAT is some bullshit, and I say this as someone working for a bunch of ex-big4 workafuckingholics. Years of 60-80hr weeks does wonders for workaholism...

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

SiGmA_X posted:

This drives me nuts. Our GL goes to 2 decimals but the Excel add in pulls from the 2 decimal datacube to scientific somehow. Thanks Oracle?
CPA. So fun... So not studying enough...
THAT is some bullshit, and I say this as someone working for a bunch of ex-big4 workafuckingholics. Years of 60-80hr weeks does wonders for workaholism...

Right now I'm doing an online course that won't get me a raise or bonus loving rip

Hang in there

Also yeah my boss doesn't care about work social events, and TBH I'm indifferent toward them so when they happen is when I end up learning a lot and getting special projects. It sort of sucks but I'll try it until I see what my annual bonus is like

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
At least a few of you will point out that this is a mistake, and while I see your point I'm young and have time to make mistakes

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mllaneza posted:

I had "do a Scotch tasting" as my sole annual objective once; after two rounds of layoffs nobody had any idea what I did all day. A $300 budget too. We had a Macallan, a Balvenie, a Jura, a Scapa, and three cheap options from Trader Joes (notably Lismore, a fantastic bargain for tasty liquor). Oh wait, I had a Scapa. "We" had the other stuff.

I once barged into a meeting the C suite was having about a successful deal and they'd brought out some expensive looking booze to celebrate. The COO offered me a shot and hell yes I took it. My boss, the CFO, looked disappointed at me and then I noticed he'd only taken the tiniest of sips from his. After the meeting I saw him pour the rest of it down the sink.

That was the moment my honeymoon phase ended at that job.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Our IT dept has a lot of Brians. On a given conference call, we can have up to 4 Brians on a call. So whenever someone asks a question to one of the Brian's, there is a moment of panic as the Brian's who are not paying attention try to figure out which of them is being talked to. You'd think a few people would eventually use last names, or maybe full names, but nope, just lob a Brian into the crowd and see who catches it.

Also, I'm one of the Brian's and there is a 90% chance I am the one not paying attention on a call.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

Also, I'm one of the Brian's and there is a 90% chance I am the one not paying attention on a call.

Next time if someone calls you out just say, "Uh that's Brain, not Brian."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Our active shooter video had the Halloween theme playing in the background.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I realized today that I’ve been working at this place for over 2 years, and in that entire time I’ve not seen a single Gantt chart. Hell I’ve almost never heard of a target end date for our projects.

ALL WE DO IS PROJECT WORK! We have 4 project managers to like 9 people executing the work. What the hell do they do?!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tnuctip posted:

As a northerner in the south its still a little bit different, but not a big whoop really. Then again i have another nothern transplant colleague that loudly referred to southerners as being traitors and still pissed off they lost the war.

This is what I find amusing about the whole Confederate flag thing. I live in the north, and when I see people driving around with a Confederate flag sticker on their truck, I laugh. You live in the north. You know we were part of the Union Army right? Why do you want to advertise that you were on the LOSING side? I know it's supposed to be some kind of a "white power" thing, but it still makes me laugh.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 24, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sydin posted:

My office campus doubles as a dispatch point for transit police (don't ask, it's complicated) and boy nothing wakes you up in the morning quite like holding the door open on the way in from the parking lot for four guys in body armor with AR's.

I hope you checked their IDs to make sure they weren't piggy backing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That was supposed to be a joke but in hindsight it wasn't very funny.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Gotta love a 7:30am conference call

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Renegret posted:

That was supposed to be a joke but in hindsight it wasn't very funny.

Nah, I appreciated the cops=pigs entendre.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Gotta love a 7:30am conference call

My boss left for vacation last Thursday. So my Boss Boss put time on her calendar for Wednesday at 5pm to schedule her mid year review. It's been on the calendar for weeks and she reminded him again Monday morning that this was happening so he had three days worth of time to schedule it (and we can see his calendar it is not very full because who knows what he's actually doing since he's never in the office). This was when she was supposed to be at the airport. Because he is a garbage person who likes to spitefully schedule meetings to waste peoples' time. He would also put meetings on the calendar with our new analyst for like 5:30 in the afternoon and then cancel it at like 5:20. Why? Who knows, just to keep him at his desk for no reason? He'll schedule a meeting for 11a, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 2p, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 4p, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 5p, etc... He is the sole reason our department has lost like 40% of our employees over the last year because he treats everyone like an idiot and jerks people around for no reason, but loves to blame it on the VPs (who are actually good people) who directly manage the ones who left and destroy their confidence. It's amazing he hasn't been "reassigned" yet by the bank, but at least he gets passed over for MD every year.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 26, 2018

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

Nah, I appreciated the cops=pigs entendre.

My boss left for vacation last Thursday. So my Boss Boss put time on her calendar for Wednesday at 5pm to schedule her mid year review. It's been on the calendar for weeks and she reminded him again Monday morning that this was happening so he had three days worth of time to schedule it (and we can see his calendar it is not very full because who knows what he's actually doing since he's never in the office). This was when she was supposed to be at the airport. Because he is a garbage person who likes to spitefully schedule meetings to waste peoples' time. He would also put meetings on the calendar with our new analyst for like 5:30 in the afternoon and then cancel it at like 5:20. Why? Who knows, just to keep him at his desk for no reason? He'll schedule a meeting for 11a, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 2p, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 4p, then a few minutes before reschedule it for 5p, etc... He is the sole reason our department has lost like 40% of our employees over the last year because he treats everyone like an idiot and jerks people around for no reason, but loves to blame it on the VPs (who are actually good people) who directly manage the ones who left and destroy their confidence. It's amazing he hasn't been "reassigned" yet by the bank, but at least he gets passed over for MD every year.

“Decline”

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Higgy posted:

“Decline”

“Tentative” with a no response no show :getin:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

No response no show should work too. The rescheduling is a power thing to establish dominance. You can ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

The Sean posted:

I cant remember the country, but it might apply to a few: some Scandinavian countries have bikers who sport the flag. It's just internationally known now as "I am a garbage person."

Yeah I see them now and then, especially if there's some raggarmeet nearby. Thing is there are very few trucks here (Sweden) so they're just stuck to 30-year old Volvos instead.