Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Stupid question, but is the volume on the monitor up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cross posting from the windows thread, I don’t mind if it’s a macOS app either:

Can someone recommend a good app or website or a snip of code to extract all tweets from a particular Twitter handle?

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

Cross posting from the windows thread, I don’t mind if it’s a macOS app either:

Can someone recommend a good app or website or a snip of code to extract all tweets from a particular Twitter handle?

As far as I know, you can only get the latest 200 tweets from a user. However, there are simple python scripts with tweepy that allow you to download up to 3200 tweets per user.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks!

Just downloaded all my own tweets via the settings menu, did not need to use a 3rd party app!

But, this is a good excuse to learn python (tweepy)!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
macOS Mojave is now available in public beta

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pivo posted:

Unfortunately when you start Safari it doesn't respect this and still downloads to ~/Downloads. If you can figure out how to get Safari to reload the plist, you can just use launchd to run the script every day at midnight.

Remember how the #1 troubleshooting step for a crashing application was to delete the preferences file(s) ? That's because developers are sloppy with the prefs files. In 10.9 Apple introduced a background process called cfprefsd. It mediates access to plist files, and, will put them back if they get deleted. The recommended procedure is now (in Bash).

code:
killall cfprefsd; mv $FILE ~/.Trash/
It's annoying when a program still manages to screw up the prefs, but you get far fewer corrupted preferences since then.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ever since the last public macOS update, my SMS messages are out of order with their replies in Messages. Everything is in the right order on my phone and using iMessage.

Anyone else experience this issue?

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Does anyone else use VOX player? I just came back from a Mac hiatus and found it's full of nagware bullshit now. Anyone else know of any other Winamp like media players?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Does anyone else use VOX player? I just came back from a Mac hiatus and found it's full of nagware bullshit now. Anyone else know of any other Winamp like media players?

What features are you looking for?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So it looks like in macOS Mojave Public Beta, APFS uber alles.

Started an install with a freshly formatted HFS+ 1 TB drive, after the install it became a 1 TB APFS platter with four partitions.

Even tried reformatting, disabling SIP, and trying to use the --converttoapfs NO command, nope, you gonna get APFS and you're gonna like it!

There are reports that some folks have wiped a second drive with HFS+, then cloned their Mojave drive over, and it boots as it did before, but I bet they'll enforce APFS on any point update..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you run old versions of OS X using VMware or parallels that are old enough to run PowePC apps in Rosetta? Wasn’t sure if they only let you run the last couple versions or what

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/8.0/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-474FC78E-4E77-42B7-A1C6-12C2F378C5B9.html

You need to find a copy of 10.6 server. Before 10.7 only server could be virtualized (legally). I’m assuming the server version supported Rosetta, but I couldn’t determine that for sure.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
10.6 did not support Rosetta in any version. You'd have to try virtualizing 10.5.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It was optional in 10.6. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/snow_leopard_installing_rosetta

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Depending on what you're trying to run it might be easier to use SheepShaver.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Evis posted:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/8.0/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-474FC78E-4E77-42B7-A1C6-12C2F378C5B9.html

You need to find a copy of 10.6 server. Before 10.7 only server could be virtualized (legally). I’m assuming the server version supported Rosetta, but I couldn’t determine that for sure.

I was curious, so I tried this out. It looks like a fresh install of 10.6 server either comes with Rosetta out of the box or gets it somewhere along the update path. It ran a PPC app I had without downloading anything other than the updates I'd already installed.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

That's right, it was 10.7 that was the cutoff. My bad.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I just found this , when going through my iCloud notes. I *think* I wrote it when OSX first started trying to get rid of save buttons;-

quote:

Jonny Ives squints earnestly at the camera:
"At Apple we've had a vision we want to share. A vision of a beautiful, precisely crafted ski ramp. And we've designed it so that Fonzie, can ski right up, and effortlessly..... flawlessly.... launch, in a perfect parabola, jump right over the shark. The ramp has been forged from a single machined piece of aluminium. The Shark has patented fin, that guides it perfectly past the ramp with never before seen degrees of precision. The skis feature beautiful wooden design , crafted to invoke the feel of other skis. And all these design elements fit perfectly together so that fonzie jumps the shark at the precise moment your wallet is in your hand"

I thought it was an amusing enough find to share.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh I get it cause Apple jumped the shark, drat...

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Last Chance posted:

oh I get it cause Apple jumped the shark, drat...

"Lets get rid of save" was definately a shark jump. Which if memory served me right, that nonsense was going on around the time the perplexing "Quit and keep windows" thing emerged. I never did quite work out what that was supposed to do.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duck monster posted:

"Lets get rid of save" was definately a shark jump. Which if memory served me right, that nonsense was going on around the time the perplexing "Quit and keep windows" thing emerged. I never did quite work out what that was supposed to do.
??? That feature works great though.

I'm so thankful that on the rare occasion that I have to update + reboot my Mac, I can just do it and my browser and apps reopen on the same monitors, showing the same sites, etc. Also, apps like Sublime Text and Pixelmator don't need to ask a million times if I want to save what I'm working on. They just close and re-open in their previous state.

It's really handy. MS tried to do something similar with the Fall Creators Update in Windows 10, but it's absolute poo poo lol

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Last Chance posted:

??? That feature works great though.

I'm so thankful that on the rare occasion that I have to update + reboot my Mac, I can just do it and my browser and apps reopen on the same monitors, showing the same sites, etc. Also, apps like Sublime Text and Pixelmator don't need to ask a million times if I want to save what I'm working on. They just close and re-open in their previous state.

It's really handy. MS tried to do something similar with the Fall Creators Update in Windows 10, but it's absolute poo poo lol

Glad it works for you but that has pretty much never worked for me while my macbook pro is plugged into multiple monitors. And it only halfway works when it's not plugged into monitors.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm hoping this isn't a meme post because jesus loving christ iTunes is an unbearable turd of an app.

is there any decent alternative or am I abusing it? I've got a music library of around 300GB plus another 3TB in video content built up over the years all stored on an external USB 3.0 box and it just feels like its lovely library system of 'here's a glorified XML file bloated to gently caress' is utterly useless. Which is a shame because I love Apple Music, but right now that feels like the shiny chocolate coins placed into the turd on the bathroom floor like some chocolate stegosaurus.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

I'm hoping this isn't a meme post because jesus loving christ iTunes is an unbearable turd of an app.

is there any decent alternative or am I abusing it? I've got a music library of around 300GB plus another 3TB in video content built up over the years all stored on an external USB 3.0 box and it just feels like its lovely library system of 'here's a glorified XML file bloated to gently caress' is utterly useless. Which is a shame because I love Apple Music, but right now that feels like the shiny chocolate coins placed into the turd on the bathroom floor like some chocolate stegosaurus.

Any particular issue you're having? iTunes doesn't use an XML file for a database btw, it only outputs an XML file for external plugins to use.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If it's just an issue of poo poo performance, it might help to put the iTunes database files on an SSD, while keeping the media itself on an external drive

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Theophany posted:

I just use VLC and tell it where my files are

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Last Chance posted:

Any particular issue you're having? iTunes doesn't use an XML file for a database btw, it only outputs an XML file for external plugins to use.

The greatest issue for me at the moment is that it refuses to load and populate the cache with cover/poster images. It seems to just give up half-way through, and has a very… ehm… interesting… tendency to not even read them properly so they come out low-res and with washed-out or skewed colours.

Oh, and when playing video, it ignores underscan settings and either zooms the image in something fierce and/or fails to clear the buffer for the black bars if the video is anything other than a pixel-perfect fit for the screen, so whatever junk was shown full-screen the last time will show up there.

Oh, and it fails to save its database with regular occurrence and also fails to remember the “don't show this warning” setting from one time to the next.

Oh, and it forgets how to Wifi sync with iDevices after a while, and even forgets that they exist entirely, asking to run through first hard-wire security set-up to (ultimately fail) to sync with a device it “has never seen before” (other than the day before). And when it does, it loves to transfer duplicates of what's already on there.

Oh and… actually, that's probably about it at the moment. :D

Really, the only thing that's keeping me from dumping it altogether is that I still need it to get some things onto or off of the iDevices and because it's still a reasonably neat media organiser. One by one, it has become utterly poo poo at every detail involved in those two functions, so if there's a fancy new replacement that duplicates that functionality, it would be gone in a second.

(No, not Plex — it's so poo poo as a media organiser that even iTunes manages to beat it.)

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 5, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Honestly, aside from the video playback issues (which iTunes has always sucked at), that sounds like a slow or failing drive. If iTunes is having trouble saving the DB, then it probably can't remember which devices it's been associated with, and if it can't even cache artwork, something's funky there.

are the media library and caches all on the same external drive?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Honestly, aside from the video playback issues (which iTunes has always sucked at), that sounds like a slow or failing drive. If iTunes is having trouble saving the DB, then it probably can't remember which devices it's been associated with, and if it can't even cache artwork, something's funky there.

are the media library and caches all on the same external drive?

Nah, it's a known bug that they haven't bothered to fix in ages. You can find tons of helpful threads on the support forums discussing various waggling-a-chicken-while-jupiter-is-aligned-with-nepture solutions — most of which come down to nuking the cache and hoping that this time, it refreshes a bit better.

The best guess anyone can offer as to the root cause is that a few versions ago, iTunes built up an aversion towards imperfect aspect ratios. So a cover that was 605×600px or 3:4.01 or whatever, depending on the media type, would be rejected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tippis posted:

(No, not Plex — it's so poo poo as a media organiser that even iTunes manages to beat it.)

Curious what your issues with plex are, I’ve got a lot more media than you’re running through it an never had any major issues in about 7 years or so. It’s flawed when it comes to things aren’t straight forward and it’s lacking in external files to guide it right, but that’s about it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Curious what your issues with plex are, I’ve got a lot more media than you’re running through it an never had any major issues in about 7 years or so. It’s flawed when it comes to things aren’t straight forward and it’s lacking in external files to guide it right, but that’s about it.

It does not acknowledge metadata and it demands its own very specific naming convention to populate its own fields, which are an absolute bitch to correct when it ultimately, inevitably, guesses wrong. It is so in love with its own in every idiotic heuristics that it is almost impossible to 1) convince it that no, the file called "Alien (1978).m4v" is actually the 1978 movie Alien, not the 1994 Tim Allen movie The Santa Clause, and 2) to not make the same educated guess a second time once you've corrected everything, and it decides to do a new lookup on that file because some other file was added, so let's start all the guesswork all over again.

Ok, that's a bit exaggerated — I don't actually remember what it thought the Alien (1978).m4v movie was, but it definitely failed to pick the most obvious guess. :D

e: I also found it slow and unstable, but that was very likely more due to a really bad local client — the reason I gave up on the server-side of things was that it was so heavily and unintelligently automated, with no clear or easy way for it to just use existing data and never ever look up anything. If I had started building from scratch, it might have been ok to manually fix every error as a file is added (and hope it doesn't suddenly decide to ignore it), but doing it after the fact with thousands of them is just not going to happen, ever.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 5, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Last Chance posted:

It's taking upwards of 5 minutes to become usable, basically. The itl file is stored on a local SSD but holy poo poo that seems incredibly slow, to the point where even searching for Apple Music is off the cards for roughly that same amount of time if the app isn't loaded. It's not a deal breaker, but this whole 'load an app 10 mins before you need it' is some poo poo I didn't sign up to with Apple, it's the antithesis of this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tippis posted:

It does not acknowledge metadata and it demands its own very specific naming convention to populate its own fields, which are an absolute bitch to correct when it ultimately, inevitably, guesses wrong.

Something was definitely not working right for you, most likely involving a scraper. Your naming scheme is how most of mine stuff looks, altho I have a bunch with way wilder stuff that’s less obviously readable, and I have a mix of films sharing folders and having their own. I redid a setup recently and had probably a thousand go in and I don’t recall any issues of it guessing wrong.

Now things like stand up specials, concerts etc can require a little prodding but a file named Alien (1978) should be incredibly easy for it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Something was definitely not working right for you, most likely involving a scraper. Your naming scheme is how most of mine stuff looks, altho I have a bunch with way wilder stuff that’s less obviously readable, and I have a mix of films sharing folders and having their own. I redid a setup recently and had probably a thousand go in and I don’t recall any issues of it guessing wrong.

Now things like stand up specials, concerts etc can require a little prodding but a file named Alien (1978) should be incredibly easy for it.

Quite, and that was what made it such a headscratcher → dump it thing — everything I read implied that it would work, and repeated attempts at fixing it were reverted by the automation for no clear reason. It could just be the documentation that was inadequate, but that's a no-sale argument in and of itself.

But at the end of the day, it was the automation that did it in. I have infinitely better tools for determining what's in a file and how it should be sorted than this web app does, and it should simply not ever guess about anything — just read the drat data at its disposal, and do that and only that. If it can't read the data, say so and do nothing. Never guess.

All I really want is something that reads a directory and adds what's in there to a searchable, browsable database — something that parses metadata and presents it, maybe even organises it in groups based on series/season/editions/extras. Apparently, this is next to impossible (other than for iTunes, right up until it become a bugfest… well… an even bigger bugfest). :eng99:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Alien came out in 1979 so I bet that’s your problem there

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone gives a poo poo, Mojave Public Beta 2 just showed up in System Preferences / Softtware Update.

That's right, they plucked Software Update out of the App Store App and gave it its own prefpane in Mojave. Which sorta makes sense, I guess.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's how it used to be up to 10.6, so it's gone to its rightful home. Beta 2 fixed a bunch of crap that I ran into. It's actually mostly usable!

Except VLC/MPlayer still crash on startup.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is there a way to reinstall Automator without reinstalling the entire OS? It death hangs every time I open it and given that I haven't used it for years I've little reason to believe there is a working version of it somewhere in my Time Machine backups.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Theophany posted:

Is there a way to reinstall Automator without reinstalling the entire OS? It death hangs every time I open it and given that I haven't used it for years I've little reason to believe there is a working version of it somewhere in my Time Machine backups.

Why not try deleting it’s preferences first? Pretty unlikely the actual app has been modified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I just gave that a try - deleted them from ~/Library/Preferences but no dice - am I being dim and missing something really obvious?

e: nevermind, found the cause of it. There was a file in the /Library/Autosave Information directory that seemed to be causing it. Deleted that and it's working fine again!

Theophany fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 9, 2018