Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elentor posted:

I enjoy every time Square admits a mistake.

It's nice they admit when they make mistakes and own up to them. I just wish they'd stop making the same ones over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

It's nice they admit when they make mistakes and own up to them. I just wish they'd stop making the same ones over and over.

Yeah I enjoy them most because companies don't do that very often without a "but..." that ultimately blames the player. I still don't trust them not to repeat them.

WaltherFeng posted:

Sorry I just dont see why it matters

Not being cynical - Is this rhetorical or, if not, do you want the really short or the long and jargon-filled answer?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Very punctual

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Elentor posted:

I enjoy every time Square admits a mistake.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah.

I mean, I am still kinda baffled that they were surprised that a more traditional JRPG could end up selling as well as it did when it saw global release:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

That said, I think they're in a much better position than they were in the past. Their recent RPGs have made me more excited whenever I hear of a new Square-Enix JRPG again. Chalk it up to me gaining more faith by the hour that their games will be actually good when they come out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elentor posted:

Uhh, maybe. I'm just playing casually for now. I'll see if there's enough content to turn it into a LP.

Here's to another four years :cheers:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

I'd like not have to switch my thumb from the stick to the pad every time I enter combat since the game doesn't let me use the pad to control the character. It's no big deal, I can just play with the KB and the issue is solved.

Switching from the stick for character movement to the d-pad for menu selection is just a natural thing for me at least. Hate using the stick for menus.

WaltherFeng posted:

Why people even care? Like he said, it was going to leak anyway and why does it matter when it is announced? So fanboys dont have to obsess over a game project for 5 years? Just play other (really good) games in the mean time

It doesn't really matter. It's just funny seeing SE flail around and come up with a million reasons for why they are incapable of making a game in-house in any reasonable amount of time.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Switching from the stick for character movement to the d-pad for menu selection is just a natural thing for me at least. Hate using the stick for menus.

It doesn't really matter. It's just funny seeing SE flail around and come up with a million reasons for why they are incapable of making a game in-house in any reasonable amount of time.

To be fair, it couldn't have been hard these last ten years.

"Final Fantasy XIV is a dumpster fire and we have to fix it."
"Final Fantasy XV has hit a snag and we're basically starting over. Please wait for it!"
"Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming, we swear. It's scope has just completely escaped us and we were caught up fixing our flagship series"

But the last of those finally hits this year and after that, I have absolutely no idea what their excuse can be. "Well, poo poo. We just don't know how to do this whole 'timely development' thing, guys."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

WaltherFeng posted:

Why people even care? Like he said, it was going to leak anyway and why does it matter when it is announced? So fanboys dont have to obsess over a game project for 5 years? Just play other (really good) games in the mean time

Some fans just sit around crying about whatever sequel or game they want instead of trying new things. And by some fans, I mean a lot of fans.

Just make Twewy 2 already you bastards :argh:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The core of this issue has nothing to do with fanboys or even FFVII. I don't even think it has much to do with us, to an extent.

I wish I had the patience for video editing so I could make some money rambling about Square but since I don't, I'll write something a bit longer as tone-neutral as possible.

Mr. Locke posted:

But the last of those finally hits this year and after that, I have absolutely no idea what their excuse can be. "Well, poo poo. We just don't know how to do this whole 'timely development' thing, guys."

I mean, FFXIV already was "we hosed up severely" so it'll probably be a variation of that.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV That's pretty much the most precise short answer.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 25, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

WaltherFeng posted:

it's bad marketing. the hype machine is dead now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bruceski posted:

I don't think I've seen any boss that uses a paling AND heals. Only one I've seen where "kill it before it full-heals" is a thing is one where that's its entire gimmick (still an annoying one). General thoughts on FF12 (I assume Zodiac Age):
--Any character can be any job. They have some stat differences, but only on the level that minmaxers will care about, not "this person's only good as a caster". For whatever reason Balthier does attack 10% slower with guns and Fran 10% slower with bows, which they start with, and a couple of characters have slightly slower attack animations that add up if you give them a multiattack weapon, but still quite useable.

It's because they have unique attack animations for them.

Elentor if you want way more information than you need for combat and job planning here is a spreadsheet that some nerd made and I copied:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvz93007VkR63Q9Y_0pwLzuDyz_rEhZxCryU-XEm_os/edit#gid=1059552339

The fourth tab (references) will show you everyone's base stats as well as how they do with each weapon.
The Party Planner tab will show you what licenses are locked behind quickenings or espers for each class, or what abilities you will have available to you for the class as you scroll down (including if it's locked behind something).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 25, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

it's bad marketing. the hype machine is dead now.

To expand on this, FFVII is the single biggest increase in the franchise by a margin so gargantuan that only FFXIV 2.0 to FFXIV 1.0 or to FFXIII-3 compares. You need to add an Ocarina of Time to FFXIII-2 sales to compare to the sales of FFVII's original release. Let that sink in for a moment. Most of those sales were outside its first year meaning that good word-of-mouth lingered for many years long past its prime.

Since we can't ever not go back to FFXIV, take a look at what happened:
1) The company did the same poo poo they've been doing for years, haphazardly putting up a team for an AAA game, a team that is not optimal for the task at hand.
2) Spends a truly considerable amount of money working on it.
3) The entire thing is a joke and chips away at the Final Fantasy brand name.

There are people who think Yoshida ruined FFXIV and the original was a work of art, I poo poo you not. So, let's not touch on how good these games are, or how good you find them to be. Let's look at numbers and what they mean to Square because your personal opinion, as well as mine, means jack poo poo and I'll explain why.

The entire FFXIII saga together sells about 1m more than the pre-steam FFVII releases. Less than half FFXIII players bought the sequel, and only 16% of the original players bought Lightning Returns, despite it receiving generally good comments from people who played it. FFXIV 1.0 was a catastrophe so huge that it prompted an excuse letter. By 2013 Square-Enix's president resigned over the losses the company had. FFXIII-2 used a lot of unused assets from FFXIII because the production of the game was a mess. Despite only two single-player flagship games in over a decade the company still maintains profits over its other IPs, but if you've ever come close to touching how much money making a game takes it should not be very hard to see that FFXIII and FFXV, regardless of how much you love them, were not particularly good investments.

Square as a company is concerned with its brand reputation because small chips in sales can snowball to ill will over time. There's a vocal minority complaining, there's a vocal fanbase defending, and then there are the silent quitters who are the actual danger. You did not read the content of almost 3 million people saying why they didn't buy FFIX. Only people really invested in the brand will open their mouth to criticize or defend a game for free. The average Joe does not care about a rhetoric that FFXIII was as linear as FFX, because if that linearity bothered him, then he might have lost good will and will not buy the sequel. That's it, end of story, any argument is really pointless.

Now picture a board of investors looking at this series, how much it costs to maintain compared to all the extremely exploitative derivative games on cellphones, thinking of how much money FFVII and its awful spinoffs made, and the fact that right now that golden goose is receiving the same treatment as these past AAA games. It's bad priming for the consumers, it's really panic-inducing for anyone with millions invested, and Square likes to maintain its tradition of apologizing then trying to fix an issue. So, ultimately:

WaltherFeng posted:

People criticizing, panicking, defending or debating or even just talking about it (us) are mostly already set on whether we buy or not the game. If you're in any of these groups, then how much the game pleases you is what will decide whether you're part of the people being slowly chipped away or not. It's the people who don't care this much that matters, and they matter a lot, since they might not even get to buy the game. Hell, the majority of FFVII players were newcomers. Non-hardcore fans are already primed to be weary of the Final Fantasy franchise so if a lot of hype is not generated for the people who don't actively care, then this game might follow the trend of FF games selling less rather than more and that's not something particularly good in a series that throws so much money away.

In general FF fans are pretty much terrible for the franchise because while a lot of them are silently being chipped away, the ones still staying will be very vocal about the things that they like in a series that's extremely divisive, with games featuring a lot of variation between them making most feedback a very loud white noise. The last time I said the series taking a turn to being action-based wasn't a good move prompted a bunch of people saying I was wrong because turn-based is archaic, therefore bad, therefore it wouldn't sell good for modern audiences. Despite games like Pokemon, Persona, or even all the mobile Final Fantasy games being very successful relative to their costs. It's an entire series where people's number 1 argument is that the thing that I like is good, the thing that you like and I don't is nostalgia/overrated, the changes that I like are good and necessary. If you don't like it it's because you're afraid of change. If I dislike it and you like it it's because you're gullible and thinks every change is good. Every game is so different and every argument boils down to telling someone else's personal subjective opinion is a fallacy. These games are almost built from the ground up not to be comparable and yet they're all in the same franchise.

This is a series with sex, politics, high fantasy, low fantasy, modern, retro, futuristic, medieval settings, the dumbest anime clichés, the most generic lines ever uttered by RPG characters, terrorists, transgender NPCs, almost every genre of music inserted somewhere, multiple composers, character studies, saving the princess, politic-based storylines, sex trafficking, people talking about how they must fight for good and the light crystal, turn-based gameplay, action-based game-play, bizarre experiments mixing both, time travel, dealing with mortality, watching a movie where a guy is shot in his head and shrugs it off, watching a main character attempting suicide, watching cinematics and movies that contain dozens of minutes of mind-numbing meaningless action, single player and MMOs in the same naming scheme, leading a priestess to her sacrifice, watching that priestess play Charlie's Angels. These are not very consistent tonally, so whatever you like, whatever I like, is white noise. Even if my opinion is "right" in the sense that it would yield the most money to Square if they followed it, it can also be a massive delusion created by my own preferences, or it might not, but it will still diverge massively from what a fan of the current modern games might think.

And then suddenly Square-Enix is amazed that people react well to its traditional games, and I don't need to mention yet again why it was an incredibly bad idea to make Nomura be in charge of FFVIIR.

The biggest increase in sales between the single-player games comes from FFVI to FFVII and the biggest retention of new players is represented between FFVII and FFVIII. This is reflected in how much the fanbase is so divided between these two games (6 and 7). Square massively hosed up the start of what was probably its most hyped project so there are people right now sweating a lot thinking about how much money is involved in this. You can be drat sure that Square is walking on eggs not to let this ball drop.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 26, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IcePhoenix posted:

It's because they have unique attack animations for them.

Elentor if you want way more information than you need for combat and job planning here is a spreadsheet that some nerd made and I copied:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvz93007VkR63Q9Y_0pwLzuDyz_rEhZxCryU-XEm_os/edit#gid=1059552339

The fourth tab (references) will show you everyone's base stats as well as how they do with each weapon.
The Party Planner tab will show you what licenses are locked behind quickenings or espers for each class, or what abilities you will have available to you for the class as you scroll down (including if it's locked behind something).

Thanks a lot, it might take me a while to get to it but I'll definitely play with it eventually. Outside of the stuff TWD and Bruceski forewarned me I'm trying to go in as blind as possible right now. I'm one of those horrible awful nerds who like to theorycraft and spreadsheet stuff and trying to figure out how stuff works is half the fun for me. FFXII so far seems like a very good game for that and I think I'll spend a solid while on it. :peanut:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Awesome write-up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I recall that someone calculated the effect of Balthier's and Fran's "bad" attack animations and it only made a difference in like one in twenty consecutive attacks or something, in theory adding a couple of minutes in total to the game's length.

I'm pretty sure it's just one of those persistent things that keeps coming up but doesn't actually matter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ff12 combat is only barely tolerarable in fast forward anyway, at which point the difference doesn't matter

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Very good write-up, and I'm not jealous of whoever is working at Square-Enix right now.

You know, whenever I look back at the series, I think the series was rather consistent (though it became less and less so after VII... or is it VI?) to a point up until after X or X-II. After that, the series has become too inconsistent with what it does that subsequent games basically make up their own fandoms that have no need or desire to play any of the past games... or the games that came out after. I don't think it's wrong to say that the series as of today has pretty much lost it's core focus and every game since has had a different core focus that appeals to a whole different group of people than the previous game, alienating the previous fans and the previously built-up fanbase of the previous game. It's literally hemorrhaging fans with each release.

I think the FFVII Remake could reverse the trend if the game remains as more of a traditionalist JRPG, but at this point, I might as well call that a hope for that particular way being the way that draws in the biggest group of people rather than a carefully analyzed prediction (since that, with the way the brand has lost any pretence of coherency, is impossible), I hope that the game goes more into the turn-based combat style instead of predict it be so, I hope the party members and the way abilities are gained are more like the old VII game instead of predicting it'd be so, I hope the only changes are much better graphics and the fixing of bad bugs instead of predicting it to be so... in order for the game to boost the brand, rather than tarnish it.

But if not, at least I'll have the Bravely series and Octopath traveler and whatever other JRPG that goes more into ensuring the old-school JRPG has a non-stagnating future.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It’s probably because I sank a ton of time into it my summer after freshman year of college but I like ff12 quite a bit. It’s definitely not a great game but I enjoyed having the way it could play itself and places to explore. “Single-player MMO” is a totally accurate and legit criticism but it was perfect for what I wanted in a game when I played it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kanfy posted:

I recall that someone calculated the effect of Balthier's and Fran's "bad" attack animations and it only made a difference in like one in twenty consecutive attacks or something, in theory adding a couple of minutes in total to the game's length.

I'm pretty sure it's just one of those persistent things that keeps coming up but doesn't actually matter.

Yeah, the way I'd heard it I thought their bars actually filled slower.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nah, that'd be a real issue. Their attack recovery animations are 0.2 seconds slower than average. That's literally it.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

When you’re a sperg, the minute lag in animation is absolutely unforgivable.

But not cleaning your body on a daily basis isn’t.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bathing lowers DPS so gently caress that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Bathing lowers DPS so gently caress that.

No. Bonus AoE poison damage that also confuses and muddles and saps.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, literally the only times I've heard about that delay is in the context of goons complaining about other people complaining about it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You're gonna put 6 invisibows on everyone anyways

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saint Freak posted:

You're gonna put 6 invisibows on everyone anyways

PC version doesn't have the RNG manipulation that makes that take any sane amount of time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bruceski posted:

PC version doesn't have the RNG manipulation that makes that take any sane amount of time.

Oh no, not the easily moddable and editable PC version

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How are the Ultimania guides? Saw that Dark Horse will be reprinting them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Choice paralysis on FFXII came in like a wrecking ball when figuring out Fran and Balthier and now I'm stuck in the hardest boss of all, the Licenses screen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Choose randomly.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
6 whitemages with no secondary class.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Choose randomly.

Mega64 you're a smart guy, you know that I cannot do that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Elentor posted:

Is it one of those "you can figure everything out in-game" like chocobo breeding or "there's literally no hint if you don't have a guide in your first playthrough" like getting Excalibur II?

It's only later bosses that do the paling stuff and not that many storyline bosses, also they don't regen health during it that's incorrect. It's a bit poo poo when they do both at once but generally you just switch to healing and buffing yourself. It's more about surviving for a while rather than just being able to output huge damage. Quickening chains are classed as physical damage so remember that if they have a paling up and you think you can finish them off with one it'll only work if they're immune to magic.

Playing XIII and Hope and Lightning are good actually

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, literally the only times I've heard about that delay is in the context of goons complaining about other people complaining about it.

I've seen some FF speedrunners joke about it, but yes outside of joking I've not seen people legit complain about it.

EmmyOk posted:

Hope and Lightning are good actually

:agreed:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Playing XIII and Hope and Lightning are good actually

Hope wants to kill snow as much as I do and Lightning owns bones too, yeah I agree

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
ur name is hop cus u give us hope

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
YOU ARE THE HOPE IN OUR PARTY ALSO YOUR NAME IS HOPE ARE WE BEING TOO SUBTLE

Also your mom shares the name of the rebel group who got her killed what the coincidence

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shoulda stuck with the original pitch of Noah Deadmom.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hope wants to kill snow as much as I do and Lightning owns bones too, yeah I agree

I just got to the part where Snow ramps in on Shiva and thought he was finally going to be cool and he was for a while. Then he calls resistance fighters dumb and Hope asks him if people who fight are dumb and he's like "you're a really FREAKING bonehead if you die fighting the baddies lol". Even if you don't know this is the son of a woman you helped get killed did you really forget about the whole bunch of people you lead to their deaths like a day ago after convincing them to fight? Also I thought he should take off the bandanna and then I saw a picture of him from XIII-2 :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
To be fair to Snow those people would have been killed if they didn't fight.