Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kalman posted:

I may be fooling myself but this actually feels noticeably faster than 11.4 on my 7.

Yeah even at developer beta they have said it's like 10 times faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kalman posted:

I may be fooling myself but this actually feels noticeably faster than 11.4 on my 7.

It should be considering that’s what the primary focus is for this release.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Is shortcuts not available yet?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Over There posted:

Is shortcuts not available yet?

That might not show up till GM tbh.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Some of them show up in the Siri portion of settings IIRC, but only as you start to use the apps themselves?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
ITS SO SPEEDY

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm just guessing but apps need to support the shortcuts too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How smooth is it to scroll through things in the 12 beta? One of my biggest complaints of iOS 11 is the general choppiness of transition animations and especially scrolling in a lot of apps/menus. To me that makes a phone feel cheap no matter how fast it is.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

How smooth is it to scroll through things in the 12 beta? One of my biggest complaints of iOS 11 is the general choppiness of transition animations and especially scrolling in a lot of apps/menus. To me that makes a phone feel cheap no matter how fast it is.

They are fixing this in a big way

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8p74zh/wwdc_insight_how_dropped_frames_are_finally_being/

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Excellent. I was very close to jumping over to the Google Pixel 2 or 3 when it arrives this fall but if things improve then I probably won't.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ios12 is most all the changes we’ve always wanted, it seems

I hope

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've been running the dev betas for a few weeks and haven't had any massive issues. There's a lot of bugs in iMessage and beta 1 made my phone run insanely hot but none of that with beta 2

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just installed the public beta and hooooooly poo poo it feels so fast. I don’t feel so bad about now having new features to play with now.

edit: Notification badges seem like a less vibrant shade of red now, I guess as part of the whole "stop looking at your phone all the time" thing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 26, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a hell of a deal if anyone was looking for some cheap beats x

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electronics/headphones-portable-audio/headphones/beats-by-dr-dre-beatsx-earphones-gray-mnlv2ll-a/1468378

I bought some factory refurb ones and they looked brand new.

Definitely the best deal for BT Headphones.

Haha gently caress they just sold out as I was going to buy them for my work phone lol.

They were $39.99.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
this beta is loving rad

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Over There posted:

ITS SO SPEEDY

Makes my 7 snappier, that's for sure.

Did they just remove all the delay loops?

Start taking advantage of a new ARM compiler trick?

Decide to run everything only on the high speed cores so that battery life is nonexistent?

Only time will tell..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No but the link I posted shows how CPU clock peaks were slow to respond, prefetching was sometimes sharing the main thread with actual loading, and layout performance was worse than linear in complex auto layouts. These are very computer science solutions to the slow UI thing, it’s genuine work, not a cheap trick.

I just wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only so many programmer hours and they were previously spending them on new features..?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

On the beta is there no way to turn off haptics when unlocking the phone? I disabled system haptics but that didn't help.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
drat they tried to hit every culture with the animojis. Check out the headwear, they have everything.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The vibration every time I unlock my phone with Touch ID is getting annoying.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do you need your Apple ID when restoring from an encrypted backup?

The reason I ask is that my gf upgraded her phone and at the Telus store (:canada:) the guy took an encrypted backup with the simple "password" as the password for it. This seems sketchy as hell and any employee can just restore peoples phones to sift thru their poo poo. I bought this up and the guy was like, "we delete these since the drives are very small". That seemed sketch as hell too!

Based off this: https://www.top-password.com/blog/restore-iphone-from-encrypted-itunes-backup/

You just enter the password and bam, done. If it seems sketchy to you all too I feel like I need to make a call.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah that is super sketchy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pivo posted:

No but the link I posted shows how CPU clock peaks were slow to respond, prefetching was sometimes sharing the main thread with actual loading, and layout performance was worse than linear in complex auto layouts. These are very computer science solutions to the slow UI thing, it’s genuine work, not a cheap trick.

I just wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.

Don't worry, they will likely throw all this out with iOS 13 and we'll be back to 'just buy an X bitch' if macOS is any indication..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Do you need your Apple ID when restoring from an encrypted backup?

The reason I ask is that my gf upgraded her phone and at the Telus store (:canada:) the guy took an encrypted backup with the simple "password" as the password for it. This seems sketchy as hell and any employee can just restore peoples phones to sift thru their poo poo. I bought this up and the guy was like, "we delete these since the drives are very small". That seemed sketch as hell too!

Based off this: https://www.top-password.com/blog/restore-iphone-from-encrypted-itunes-backup/

You just enter the password and bam, done. If it seems sketchy to you all too I feel like I need to make a call.

It sounds like a store policy to deal with computer idiots who don’t know to back up their iPhones at home first. The solution is to tell people not to be computer idiots or deal with really upset customers. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

It sounds like a store policy to deal with computer idiots who don’t know to back up their iPhones at home first. The solution is to tell people not to be computer idiots or deal with really upset customers. :shrug:

It's definitely that, but they could still let the customer enter the password themselves.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How’s iOS 12 on a 6s, anyone know?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

How’s iOS 12 on a 6s, anyone know?

Runs great on a 6s+, not sure how different the internals are (extra RAM on the +?)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I submitted the issue to Telus and they are taking it very seriously now. :3: It's not policy to be doing what they do at that store.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some dude at a store is going to be really annoyed that his bright idea to reduce customer return visits complaining about lost data just got shot down.

And then REALLY annoyed 5 minutes later when they terminate him.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely that, but they could still let the customer enter the password themselves.

Not really a solution, computer idiots can’t remember passwords.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Alternatively dude was keeping backups for the spank bank

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Runs great on a 6s+, not sure how different the internals are (extra RAM on the +?)

iPhone 6: 1 GB RAM

iPhone 6 Plus: 1 GB RAM

iPhone 6S: 2 GB RAM

iPhone 6S Plus: 2 GB RAM

iPhone 7: 2 GB RAM

iPhone 7 Plus: 3 GB RAM

iPhone 8: 2 GB RAM

iPhone 8 Plus: 3 GB RAM

iPhone X: 3 GB RAM

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 26, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't need an encrypted backup to hoover photos/vids though.

Probably harder to explain to the person you're trying to scam though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fun apparent bug in iOS 12. One of my apps has seemingly disappeared on the iPad. Nowhere on the home screen or any folder. I can still open it through spotlight search and Siri. I guess reinstalling it should clear it up but it’s the World Cup app and there’s a game on right now.

Also looks like I can’t enable new notifications (ESPN for example). Tells me I need to enable notifications in settings but they’re already enabled. More of an app issue, it sounds like.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 26, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It added the Measurement app for me in like the middle of my second screen, knocking an app to the third. Maybe that happened to you?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't expect Measure to work so well, especially with the crap that was released last year.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
How do you refresh screen time?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.3.3

Would 12 work on my phone? (not buying a new phone any time soon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.3.3

Would 12 work on my phone? (not buying a new phone any time soon)

Yes