Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Over There posted:

At the end of the parkour

I'll save you a headache, when you get to a hall with spikes that seem almost impossible, there's a breakable wall underneath to pass it.

And, very shortly after an elevator that takes 2 switches to unlock, you will reach a vertical passage with some sawblades. At the bottom of that passage, to the left, there is a secret path behind a breakable wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ambivalent posted:

Watcher Knight fight can be brutal depending when you take it. In the glitchless speedrun you fight them with no extra masks and 0 or 1 nail upgrade and it is a harsh skill check in terms of combat especially since youre trying to be fast.

Fight is a little easier if you use the secret passage outside their room to drop a chandelier and kill one off instantly . That was a really cool secret

Yeah, I already knew about the chandelier and I can't blame being underequipped. I have two or three extra masks and I'm using the +3 Nail. That fight is just really hard for me, and on my first playthrough I beat most of the bosses on the first try, including Soul Master (not Tyrant). Something about this one just kills me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't feel too bad about it, Watcher Knight is generally considered one of the harder fights.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Make sure you have a simple key

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The watcher knights were the hardest fight on my first playthrough, but on my second run I knew how good descending dark was and it obliterates them. Just stand one WK-length away from a wall and slam the ground. You can get both of them to roll through while you're invincible and stop at the wall right next to you, and since spell damage ignores blocking they take a huge amount of damage.

Fighting them normally with two independent bouncing rolling assholes is a mess.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Watcher Knight is were I stopped playing last week. I know I'm going to have fun with them when I get strong enough later

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They're almost impossible if you don't have a certain ability you get mid/late game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I just got to Watcher Knight...

:negative:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cartoon Man posted:

I just got to Watcher Knight...

Come back after you've gotten some new abilities.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hollow Knight amiibo when

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nephzinho posted:

Hollow Knight amiibo when

never bought an amiibo but I would get this one

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah, just know that the only thing on the other side of the Watcher Knights is a Dreamer, so it's perfectly acceptable to leave them until the very, very end of the game, like the second-to-last thing that you do (not counting extra things that don't provide any meaningful benefit like the Path of Pain or the Trial of Fools).

I know people are, like, really good at this game, but I can't fathom beating them without (late game upgrade) Shade Soul.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Dancer posted:

And, very shortly after an elevator that takes 2 switches to unlock, you will reach a vertical passage with some sawblades. At the bottom of that passage, to the left, there is a secret path behind a breakable wall.

I didn't know about this, but that segment just takes a bit to get the timing down. Also, it's very easy to forget you can Crystal Dash, which makes the last set of spikes easier. Or might be required, I have no idea, but that's how I did it.

I went full magic on the Watcher Knights. Throwing shade balls at both of them was pretty effective.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 26, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, just know that the only thing on the other side of the Watcher Knights is a Dreamer, so it's perfectly acceptable to leave them until the very, very end of the game, like the second-to-last thing that you do (not counting extra things that don't provide any meaningful benefit like the Path of Pain or the Trial of Fools).

I know people are, like, really good at this game, but I can't fathom beating them without (late game upgrade) Shade Soul.

I died once on the Watcher Knights, but I thought Dung Defender was harder. :shrug:

...The more I lurk in this thread, the more I think my experience was incredibly atypical. More so than normal, I mean.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

John Lee posted:

I died once on the Watcher Knights, but I thought Dung Defender was harder. :shrug:

...The more I lurk in this thread, the more I think my experience was incredibly atypical. More so than normal, I mean.

Everyone is different. I had no trouble with hornet but everyone else was talking about how difficult she was. Meanwhile I died to the Watcher Knight almost 40 times because I couldn't handle trying to dodge 2 rolling boulders bouncing from the side of the screen faster than I could react.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't fought Traitor Lord since release when he was way easier. Holy crap he's hard now. His patterns are pretty straightforward, but the fight is just so punishing -- he does two masks of damage per hit now, and there's virtually no opportunities to heal because as far as I can tell he doesn't have any of the usual points where after enough damage he's stunned you can heal a few masks. Any advice? I read about cheesing it with some crazy minion build but I tried it and it doesn't work anymore, there's nowhere safe to hide. I've also tried facetanking with Joni's Blessing -- not like I have time to heal anyway -- and of course a more conventional Nail build which is how I fight most bosses (various combinations of Steady Body, Quick Slash, Longnail, Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength). I think I also tried killing him with Descending Dark but it wasn't enough to take him out.

I know you can dash through all of his stuff, dashing and even just avoiding his attacks normally is pretty easy. It just requires that you do it perfectly for so long, and it's very frustrating. I think he's a bit overtuned now -- but I actually think it's close to right. I'd like stun breaks to heal and maybe his non-melee attacks shouldn't do two masks of damage. Everything else seems pretty fair.

EDIT: Never mind, I killed him by abusing Flukenest + Shaman Stone

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is it abuse when it's a valid strategy?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Traitor lord getting new moves like nosk was a great idea but I have no idea why he was given the double damage. Most dream fights don’t even have that. Only his shockwave attack should do it since only that attack “feels” like it would do the double. It hurts cloths story closer too since making the fight so hard makes her not being useful during the fight stick out way more and makes her moment feel less earned.

There was discussion about the flower earlier and my tip for that is to make sure to give one to elderbug first.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

So It Goes posted:

Traitor lord getting new moves like nosk was a great idea but I have no idea why he was given the double damage. Most dream fights don’t even have that. Only his shockwave attack should do it since only that attack “feels” like it would do the double. It hurts cloths story closer too since making the fight so hard makes her not being useful during the fight stick out way more and makes her moment feel less earned.

There was discussion about the flower earlier and my tip for that is to make sure to give one to elderbug first.

I'm assuming because he gives you half of one of the final items. They wanted him to be more of a challenge.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Over There posted:

I'm assuming because he gives you half of one of the final items. They wanted him to be more of a challenge.

I mean they obviously did it to make it more of a challenge but I’m saying that wasn’t needed for his fight and it hurts cloths moment.

And before someone attempts the argument, I’ve beaten nkg and path of pain so I don’t need to hear about it me not being good enough. I feel qualified to say traitor lords double damage is overturned for its place in the game. It’s not a fight that should be roughly on par with dream fights in difficulty imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When I played through the game the traitor lord fight felt like a very well placed pushover fight after how tough queens garden is overall. I limped in there with four hearts and beat him first try and was very relieved when he felt like more like a story than a tough fight (like the jellyfish fight).

Imo his doing two masks of damage and being required to complete the game steals a bit of impact from radiance as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 26, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The super jelly fight felt good to me imo since your ally does something that you can't and as such actively contributed. On the other hand I've never seen the TL ally do anything other than crush that one mantis and then do her thing.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Now the radiance I will defend. Two damage just “feels” right both for being the true final boss and for being an ancient powerful being/ a forgotten god.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So It Goes posted:

Now the radiance I will defend. Two damage just “feels” right both for being the true final boss and for being an ancient powerful being/ a forgotten god.

I had a lot of trouble on that boss until I stopped trying to kill them and just focused on Not Dying while getting in a hit anytime I happened to be able to.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah, patience is key for that one. Generally, you can damage race bosses in this game with the right charm setup (less so than at launch), but that one really punishes you for greed.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Yeah, I feel like I did myself a huge disservice by beating it near launch. A lot of my later boss fights were "get hit, plow through them with iframes, rinse, repeat" before the balance patches really rolled out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who came in with the lifeblood (beta?) update damage racing bosses with quickslash and the strength charm was still my solution for a lot of them

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
facetanking (with the right charms) is a solid strategy if you can't get past/can't be bothered with a boss and I think that's a good thing

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

When I played through the game the traitor lord fight felt like a very well placed pushover fight after how tough queens garden is overall. I limped in there with four hearts and beat him first try and was very relieved when he felt like more like a story than a tough fight (like the jellyfish fight).

Imo his doing two masks of damage and being required to complete the game steals a bit of impact from radiance as well.

I really likedRadiance as a final boss. Beating my head against her and eventually triumphing made me feel like I earned the good ending.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Beat the watcher Knight and feeling like a boss. :smug:

I went for maximum speedy Gonzalez DPS with the nail charms and quick strike.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fully upgraded nail with Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride nail reach, and quick nail makes the knight an itty bitty stabbing machine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I finally got to what I'm assuming is the "final" boss. Beat the 3 masks and broke into the Black Egg only to face the Hollow Knight . It was a fantastic ride, and while I'm sure there are tons more to go, I think I'm done playing blind. Just too much backtracking, and less things being discovered.

One thing I've never figured out is how to break the weird Black Laser Gates. It's turned out not to be essential but still. I'd like to 100% this game, it deserves that effort, though I don't see how I'll ever manage to beat the dream versions of the bosses. Maybe if I upgrade the nail some more?

Looking at my map I can't find anymore more paths to push forward into, which means I need to go room by room... and I'll either have to take a month long break to make it feel fresh again, but I'm not up to doing that right now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't even know how you'd get to all the Dreamers without getting the upgrade to pass through the black gates. Here's a hint: go all the way down.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Will do. The last area I mapped was Fog Canyon because it took me so long to find an alternate way in but being able to swim in acid helps get around that restriction. I'm at 80% completion. I can't imagine that last 20% being too hard to get.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You. You have to have the upgrade if you have the Fog Canyon map. You bypass one of those gates to get there.

e: missed the acid part

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Oh god...trial of the fool...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steam says this needs about 7 GB of space but its only actually downloading about 800 MBs? That's weird

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 27, 2018

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god...trial of the fool...

Something that worked exceptionally well for me ((for the wall sections) charm/ability spoilers): Great Slash one shots every flying enemy but the flying fools when your nail is at +3 and Nailmaster's Glory allows you to charge it as quickly as you'll need it, plus Great Slash stops you in mid-air and gives you time to get back on the wall. It turned a brutal part of the trial into an easy one for me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

YggiDee posted:

You. You have to have the upgrade if you have the Fog Canyon map. You bypass one of those gates to get there.

e: missed the acid part

Yeah, you definitely don't need that upgrade to get the Fog Canyon map, I got it well after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have one key. I've opened up the city so I have access to two keyholes (first one and the one near the fountain in the city). Should I use it on the one near the fountain, or some other keyhole?

also when should I try to kill the mantis lords?