Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any tips for the Kamek rallying challenge? The mast keeps loving me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hoard special meter and use special shots as bailouts when there's a weird slice or an unexpected bounce off the mast.

Kamek hits a bunch of weak shots so you should be able to charge up quickly

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Goon doubles are real fun. Don't gently caress with Kirios.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hoard special meter and use special shots as bailouts when there's a weird slice or an unexpected bounce off the mast.

Kamek hits a bunch of weak shots so you should be able to charge up quickly

I still can’t do it. I beat the blooper boss second try but can’t do this one.:argh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I feel like the li'l brother of goon doubles, I'm terrible but I'm tryin' my best :shobon:

More people should join, it's fun as heck

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

Keep your control stick neutral when aiming your shots. If you aim to the left or right, Kamek's return will also go to the outside and make it harder to return. Outside shots also are more likely to hit the mast. You gain little from Kamek missing, but lose a lot when you miss, so it's a weird scenario where you have to play different from usual. Usually you try to send hard to return shots at your opponent, but this match rewards easy to return shots. Otherwise, focus on building meter as a backup and returning shots with their counter so you'll be ready for the next volley.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if removing trick shots as a whole would improve the game. It stops players from just forever spamming to get full meter and it fixes stuff like Jr's "literally fly across the entire map" problem because it doesn't exist.

You can already slow time if you have to so like, would there be anything lost?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SeANMcBAY posted:

Spam slices.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Shyguys are great.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1011440458558369792?s=17

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We need more goons for doubles it's easily the best way to play this game.

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll be in there eventually.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll be in there eventually.

Me too.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I joined but haven't had time to play yet!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I use double tap A and stayed at the middle baseline. Idea is to force Kamek to run for the ball so he can't charge up. Staying near the baseline helps with those annoying rear end cross court shots.

You definitely need to make use of zone speed when applicable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/1011436576465801216

Wahhhhhhhhhh
https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/1011437468799778816

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 26, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I love this effing game folks

Is there a goon discord or some such so I can play with alla y'all

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

kidcoelacanth posted:

I love this effing game folks

Is there a goon discord or some such so I can play with alla y'all

Yeah, here https://discord.gg/vNbaHMK

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thank

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Are Star characters a thing at all? I beat the Mushroom Cup with every character but didn't notice any difference.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I swear I'm not bad at video games... but holy poo poo I suck at this game.

I'm just doing the single player campaign stuff to get a hang of the game before I get owned online but the piranha 20 shot thing took me forever. I kept breaking my racket on the charged shots. It seems I am always too early. I did the first 200 volley level in one try... but everything else seems to take me forever. :( Maybe I''ll get better :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm just doing the single player campaign stuff to get a hang of the game before I get owned online but the piranha 20 shot thing took me forever. I kept breaking my racket on the charged shots. It seems I am always too early. I did the first 200 volley level in one try... but everything else seems to take me forever. :( Maybe I''ll get better :(

Stick with it! I believe in you!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Adventure mode leveled characters do not carry their level to online, right?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Goddamn, this game is so broken, trick shots and zone shots especially.

https://twitter.com/inktivate/status/1010297544977469440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgi95urnNI

I feel like I had more fun in the demo when people didn't take advantage and abuse the game breaking mechanisms in place. It's the equivalent of a comedy movie showing all of the funny parts in the trailer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Keep at it, friend - you'll get better over time! I'm not that great either tbh but once you start to get a hang of the fundamentals, you'll be golden.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 26, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Thom P. Tiers posted:

same, that challenge took me many tries. one thing I was doing wrong was standing too close to the path of the charged shots, instead of standing to the side a bit. it's much easier to see the right moment to swing when you aren't right on top of them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Goddamn, this game is so broken, trick shots and zone shots especially.

https://twitter.com/inktivate/status/1010297544977469440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgi95urnNI

I feel like I had more fun in the demo when people didn't take advantage and abuse the game breaking mechanisms in place. It's the equivalent of a comedy movie showing all of the funny parts in the trailer

Keep at it, friend - you'll get better over time! I'm not that great either tbh but once you start to get a hang of the fundamentals, you'll be golden.

this doesn't look fun

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Over There posted:

this doesn't look fun

Play doubles where a lot of this stuff doesn't matter (as much).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The game is actually tremendously fun. Try playing with goons before giving up. I guarantee you won't regret it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks for the tips on the Kamek challenge. I’ll try again today.

Yeah, I still love the game and I’m hopeful they’ll rebalance the more lovely aspects.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:siren: I discovered the cause of the controls bug :siren:

This is the stupidest poo poo ever and you will quickly realize there's nothing you can do. When you go into a online match motion controls are decided by the host. If they have it turned on you're forced to have it on too. If it's turned off it'll be off for you as well. Just confirmed it with a friend and just laughing at how insane that is.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo ever and you will quickly realize there's nothing you can do. When you go into a online match motion controls are decided by the host. If they have it turned on you're forced to have it on too. If it's turned off it'll be off for you as well. Just confirmed it with a friend and just laughing at how insane that is.

Oh wow

I lost a tourney match in part because of gyro controls 'glitching' so this is good to know I guess :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So basically if you are good at the joystick, you can gently caress over other people.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha what the gently caress. Is Camelot any good at fixing/balancing games?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Cojawfee posted:

So basically if you are good at the joystick, you can gently caress over other people.

i dont really understand why people say that trick shots are 'broken' - both players have access to trick shots and they're an 'all in' mechanic that if you whiff, not only do you lose the point but also lose energy
they require you to correctly anticipate or react quickly to a returned shot and actually space yourself properly.

many rallies will involve both players countering shots and going back forth, and using trick shots to return shots they either correctly anticipated or burned meter to see where the ball was gonna go before trick shotting over to the ball location

every rally always has the outcome of 1 victor, someone slips up somewhere or someone outplays the other. whats the problem exactly?? two skilled players trick shotting and countering each other in a rally is tense and exciting

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

murked by dragon posted:

Haha what the gently caress. Is Camelot any good at fixing/balancing games?

No idea. These are the games they have done.

Also, they are credited with the creation of Waluigi. This company owns.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

pissdude posted:

i dont really understand why people say that trick shots are 'broken' - both players have access to trick shots and they're an 'all in' mechanic that if you whiff, not only do you lose the point but also lose energy
they require you to correctly anticipate or react quickly to a returned shot and actually space yourself properly.

many rallies will involve both players countering shots and going back forth, and using trick shots to return shots they either correctly anticipated or burned meter to see where the ball was gonna go before trick shotting over to the ball location

every rally always has the outcome of 1 victor, someone slips up somewhere or someone outplays the other. whats the problem exactly?? two skilled players trick shotting and countering each other in a rally is tense and exciting

He's talking about abusing the motion controls bug

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
my last experience with the gyro bug was pretty funny. i had just played a match where the bug triggered and gyro controls were suddenly turned on, but since i won i was thinking hey maybe they're not so bad, I'll enable them for the next round. i turned them on in the menu, started my next match ready to use the motion controls, and sure enough theyre loving disabled again :golfclap:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gyro controls are great and you should use them, unless the host has them disabled apparently

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

tap my mountain posted:

He's talking about abusing the motion controls bug

ye i actually clicked quote on teh wrong person, sorry, but my point still stands W/R/T all the other commentary surrounding trickshots

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I think ultimately the game would be better if perfect trick shots didn't exist and a trick shot was basically always the "oh gently caress I'm out of position" button and drained some meter. I also think that zone shots shouldn't damage your racket on a too early return -- the advantage of using them should be that they are harder to return and a too early return puts the guy returning in a weak spot.

I say this because the game is way too much "meter management" vs regular tennis imo. It should augment the game not be the primary focus. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but a huge portion of my games are me crushing someone because I handle meter/stars so much better than them or otherwise the opposite where someone does the same to me. These would be much closer games with the above changes. Of course I can just play simple but I do like the super powery elements, they're just too much. I was trying to play doubles with my wife and she won't touch classic mode now because it's just frustrating for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

pissdude posted:

ye i actually clicked quote on teh wrong person, sorry, but my point still stands W/R/T all the other commentary surrounding trickshots

Anybody doing anything better than me is abusing the mechanics of the game