Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Yes, except landlords get to be proactive about risk reduction in many ways. If you don't like a lease, no one is forcing you to sign it.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Does anyone have a link to that old blog or the thread on SA where some idiot thought he was going to walk across the USA with a Wal-mart quality cart, raised kickstarter money for it, and then passed out after only eating raisins and never made it out of the first state park before taking a taxi home? I want to share it with hiking buddies and can't find it anymore.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sundae posted:

Does anyone have a link to that old blog or the thread on SA where some idiot thought he was going to walk across the USA with a Wal-mart quality cart, raised kickstarter money for it, and then passed out after only eating raisins and never made it out of the first state park before taking a taxi home? I want to share it with hiking buddies and can't find it anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks. You are awesome.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I reread that about once per year. It's great.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

baquerd posted:

Yes, except landlords get to be proactive about risk reduction in many ways. If you don't like a lease, no one is forcing you to sign it.

You are a loving moron.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

You are a loving moron.

I mean he's not wrong. A contract isn't enforceable unless it was voluntarily signed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Maybe lets not have this thread be the frontlines in the fight against rentier capitalism.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I mean he's not wrong. A contract isn't enforceable unless it was voluntarily signed.

I think the point was that sometimes it sounds a lot like "you can choose to live in a van down by the river"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes but that simplistic understanding of the world and just in general is dumb as poo poo, disingenuous, and caustic to actually protecting people from landlords. It's just your typical double speak for "don't like it? Ducking starve / be homeless / save up switch cities" while ignoring the responsibilities of our law makers and institutions to remove unfair laws.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Yes but that simplistic understanding of the world and just in general is dumb as poo poo, disingenuous, and caustic to actually protecting people from landlords. It's just your typical double speak for "don't like it? Ducking starve / be homeless / save up switch cities" while ignoring the responsibilities of our law makers and institutions to remove unfair laws.

What's unfair about a month to month lease agreed to up front?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol you guys I live in saskatchewan. There are no laws here.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

baquerd posted:

What's unfair about a month to month lease agreed to up front?

Well housing should be free for one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Hahahahaha

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Anything you require to live should be free.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That goon lives with his gf’s parents so I’m not shocked that he’s not got a good grip on the reality of the way the world works

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neito posted:

Anything you require to live should be free.

Housing wise though, that's not even a shared dorm room level of luxury. Certainly doesn't approach your own place.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
-201.70 rounded is -202.

That would be considered rounding down, right?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

boop the snoot posted:

-201.70 rounded is -202.

That would be considered rounding down, right?

Yes, because the second number is lower than the first.

baquerd posted:

Housing wise though, that's not even a shared dorm room level of luxury. Certainly doesn't approach your own place.

Enough to afford a reasonable dignity. I'm not talking a mansion here, but we also shouldn't shove the poor in barracks and call it a day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I'm just saying be choosy about who you rent from. Every lease will be different, and there's a lot of skeevy landlords (and a lot of good landlords) out there. Read the contract, and if you don't like it, don't rent from them. Signing it and complaining about it being lovely later doesn't do a lot of good.

Finding affordable housing can be difficult, but let's not pretend that everyone renter only has one lovely landlord to choose from. Also, with smaller landlords, try negotiating lease terms. A lot of times they're using a contract that they got form someone else, and will be more amenable to changes. Big corporations aren't gonna have that kind of flexibility, but in my experience are also less likely to put bullshit legally-gray clauses in there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Yes but that simplistic understanding of the world and just in general is dumb as poo poo,

Turtlicious posted:

Uhhh

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Jeza posted:

Maybe lets not have this thread be the frontlines in the fight against rentier capitalism.

On the other hand,

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Jeff bezos makes enough money to pay every single goon’s rent for life and he wouldn’t even notice

Housing should be free

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There are more empty houses than there are homeless people in America. That's just houses and ignores empty apartments.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are more empty houses than there are homeless people in America. That's just houses and ignores empty apartments.

What does the intersection between homeless population and empty houses look like? Regionally, per-city, or otherwise? I don't know any numbers here.

Gotta be some interesting numbers. Also interesting to read about the reasons why commercial real estate has high vacancies in some areas - it just makes financial sense to do so taking into consideration how commercial mortgages are calculated. Like it or not, capitalism drives everything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Stupid question (still not au fait with the whys and wherefores of how this forum works)
how do I upload an image to a post (rather than doing a link)?
I've seen some people have done it.

Do I need a super advanced account upgrade or something or is it do able by a newbie with the lowest account?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Re rents / notice

I was an accidental landlord for a while (lived abroad for a few years).

When I was coming back, I gave my tenant 4 months notice (assured shorthold on 1 year) because I thought I was going to live back there.

Anyway, he found somewhere after 2 months and the agents said he had to pay the rent to the end of the contract (so 2 months he wasn't living there).
I said to the agent - no, just let him pay to the day he leaves (I wanted to be sure he was gone without fuss!)
I also didn't put the rent up for 4 years (he was a good tenant and kept it clean and neat for the 6-weekly inspections) so he was paying about £250pcm lower than the going rate.

After he left, I found he had been subletting to 4 eastern European girls (it was a 2 bed flat in London - one of the bedrooms was the size of a suitcase) and was probably making double the rent on it. Obviously when the 6-weekly inspections occurred he scooted them all away and hid whatever they were sleeping on!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Stupid question (still not au fait with the whys and wherefores of how this forum works)

Do I need a super advanced account upgrade or something or is it do able by a newbie with the lowest account?

You have to have platinum I think. $10 for the little hand grenade, the image upload, personal messages and idk, maybe something else

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

AFAIK, you need Platnum, which comes with a bunch of other features, too.

(Just use Imgur, it's more uselful)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As others have said, it's a platinum feature, but it's terrible; it's limited to 1MB and I don't think you can edit it later. Just use imgur and the img tags.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re rents / notice

I was an accidental landlord for a while (lived abroad for a few years).

When I was coming back, I gave my tenant 4 months notice (assured shorthold on 1 year) because I thought I was going to live back there.

Anyway, he found somewhere after 2 months and the agents said he had to pay the rent to the end of the contract (so 2 months he wasn't living there).
I said to the agent - no, just let him pay to the day he leaves (I wanted to be sure he was gone without fuss!)
I also didn't put the rent up for 4 years (he was a good tenant and kept it clean and neat for the 6-weekly inspections) so he was paying about £250 Luckilypcm lower than the going rate.

After he left, I found he had been subletting to 4 eastern European girls (it was a 2 bed flat in London - one of the bedrooms was the size of a suitcase) and was probably making double the rent on it. Obviously when the 6-weekly inspections occurred he scooted them all away and hid whatever they were sleeping on!

Yeah, don't know the laws there, but here subletting for a profit is illegal and gently caress people who take advantage of immigrants and foreign students. I would have done my best to report that guy. There's actually a non-profit* in Denmark that will help sue landlords and subletters for any overages beyond what is deemed fair rent for the room/apartment's location and square footage. The amount is retroactive, up to two years.

*Sort of, membership is 100 dollars, but that's small change compared to what I've seen some landlords try to pull illegally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm just saying be choosy about who you rent from.
Who has that kind of luxury?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As others have said it's a platinum feature. But you've probably noticed that almost no one actually does it, and that's because it doesn't work very well. Buy platinum if you want, but don't buy it for that feature because you're probably not going to end up using it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tiggum posted:

Who has that kind of luxury?

As others have said it's a platinum feature. But you've probably noticed that almost no one actually does it, and that's because it doesn't work very well. Buy platinum if you want, but don't buy it for that feature because you're probably not going to end up using it.

Yes thanks those who replied. I discovered I have a long-defunct imgur account when I tried to register with an email address and got told there was already an account.
I want to support Lowtax and his health fund so am wondering what to buy for $10 or just donate it. I consider this forum really good value. So many intelligent and informed commentators on the threads I've read.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, don't know the laws there, but here subletting for a profit is illegal and gently caress people who take advantage of immigrants and foreign students. I would have done my best to report that guy. There's actually a non-profit* in Denmark that will help sue landlords and subletters for any overages beyond what is deemed fair rent for the room/apartment's location and square footage. The amount is retroactive, up to two years.

*Sort of, membership is 100 dollars, but that's small change compared to what I've seen some landlords try to pull illegally.

Don't think there is any specific law about that, but sub-letting is usually prohibited in the leases. You have to spot it though and I used to get photo reports from my agent every 3 months ( every other inspection) and you would never have known he was. It was only all the post with Romanian and Polish names that arrived after he had left and inquiries I made of a couple of the flats in the block that I found it out.

Still, he paid the rent without fuss and kept it pretty clean and tidy. So what the eye don't see... (appreciate though the point about taking advantage of immigrants and students but I have no evidence of that - rents in London now are double or more what I was charging just 4-5 years ago so whatever he was screwing out of them was probably reasonable). Just glad he went without trashing the place and running up ginormous bills! I did tell the agents what I had found out in case they were finding somewhere else for him.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes thanks those who replied. I discovered I have a long-defunct imgur account when I tried to register with an email address and got told there was already an account.
I want to support Lowtax and his health fund so am wondering what to buy for $10 or just donate it. I consider this forum really good value. So many intelligent and informed commentators on the threads I've read.

If you're using chrome or firefox there are plug-ins that allow you to right-click on any image in your browser and automatically upload it to imgur without requiring you to be logged in to an account.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-uploader/lcpkicdemehhmkjolekhlglljnkggfcf?hl=en

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

syscall girl posted:

If you're using chrome or firefox there are plug-ins that allow you to right-click on any image in your browser and automatically upload it to imgur without requiring you to be logged in to an account.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-uploader/lcpkicdemehhmkjolekhlglljnkggfcf?hl=en

Oh great, thanks!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lowtax has a patreon that I support every month. I get vastly more entertainment than the two-cups-of-coffee worth that I pitch in.

If I was super god drat rich I would up my pledge to 500k for a month so that he would actually have to throw paint at a family of four at the zoo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That goon lives with his gf’s parents so I’m not shocked that he’s not got a good grip on the reality of the way the world works

Tbf your grandma's place is p. nice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Avatar, archives, platinum (for search) and no-ads are all worth getting, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

What does the intersection between homeless population and empty houses look like? Regionally, per-city, or otherwise? I don't know any numbers here.

Gotta be some interesting numbers. Also interesting to read about the reasons why commercial real estate has high vacancies in some areas - it just makes financial sense to do so taking into consideration how commercial mortgages are calculated. Like it or not, capitalism drives everything.

I think nationwide it's a 5:1 ratio but one of the issues is that a lot of the empty houses are in places people don't want to live. The mortgage crisis and Great Recession also didn't help. Part of the problem is that the price of houses is still inflated and the banks now, thanks to foreclosure, own a gently caress ton of houses they can't sell because it's way harder to get a loan now. A lot of people who would love to buy a house are too buried in student debt and stagnant wages to buy.

A great many houses though are just in places that people left. Pittsburgh is at like half the population of its peak and there are entire abandoned neighborhoods. The area I'm originally from has a ton of houses just sitting empty because, well, there are no jobs other than "cook meth" so who want to live there?

Granted another snag is that a hell of a lot of developers massively overbuilt before the economy shat itself. Entire neighborhoods of McMansions got tossed up as quickly and cheaply as possible that just never got sold. Some of them weren't even finished. Just entire blobs of overpriced, oversized suburban housing that nobody could ever actually buy.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 27, 2018