Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Mistle posted:

Among the many things BP sprayed into the Gulf of Mexico to de-oil the oil:

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/05/09/potential-of-oil-eating-bacteria-from-bp-oil-spill-decoded

They were used, but far less effective than they could have been, never mind that nobody considered using bacteria-friendly dispersants.

As it turns out, the natural oil seepage from the gulf has natural petroleum-eating microbes, and between those and artificially-produced microbes, they composed part of the cleanup, and still do, given how much oil settled on the seabed.

Also, turns out, when the ocean is full of the pure, unrefined crude, and devoid of microbe-eating flora and fauna, there's nothing to compete with?

On June 21st in what would be year 463,401,277 AD researchers finally discover that they are descendants of bacteria created to clean up "oopsies" of a very long extinct species of shitheads. Upon learning that their "God" is quite literally a bunch of assholes they all commit suicide.

The Sun doesn't notice anything and keeps on chugging along. Earth will keep on Earthing and next big LOL will be along in around 500 million years. The Sun doesn't care, it knows the greatest ROFL of them all is coming in about 3.5 billion years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Well, I'd expect it's relevant to whether we're releasing oil-eating microbes to clean up oil spills.

How so? The point is to release 'oil-eating microbes' so you can say you've done something and move on with drilling some more. Actually eating the oil is strictly ancilliary.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Unless I'm missing something, that article's talking about bugs that are naturally present in the environment, not strains that were deliberately inoculated into the spill.

There were both artificial microbes released, and the naturally present microbes, but the microbes released didn't do as much as what actually happened: a confederacy of natural microbes worked together to decompose a lot more oil than any plan accounted for, and quite a few natural microbes were recovered, sequenced, and are being studied for better deployment in the future. But gently caress them, they absolutely didn't expect the great result that actually happened.

It only took a natural disaster of unequaled proportions to discover these microbes, though :suicide:

The Lone Badger posted:

How so? The point is to release 'oil-eating microbes' so you can say you've done something and move on with drilling some more. Actually eating the oil is strictly ancilliary.

Cleanup of oil is a constant damper on stock prices, funding said cleanup is a constant cause that needs reporting, which--unless it's done--means news that puts a damper on stock prices.

If the spill and cleanup can't be done quiet or fine-and-ignored, they have to do a fast and thorough cleanup to avoid a persistent drag on profits. They can't recover the oil that's microbed, but getting it over and done with is cutting their losses.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are you sitting comfortably?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Nah. We know how to make a thorium reactor work, and we've built some and some are generating useful power, right now, today.

Commercial fusion presents not just enormous engineering difficulties, but enormous theoretical and materials ones as well. We do not know how to make a commercial fusion plant, and we don't know of suitable materials to build one even exist in the universe.

The lack of thorium plants is a political problem. The lack of fusion plants is a non-political problem.

This is wrong because yeah LFTR, MSR existed but there is a long way to go before any type of thorium breeder design is going to be commercially viable. The concept is proven, but that's about it.
A lot of research still needs to go into materials science because guess what, hot molten salt is corrosive as gently caress and you don't want to have to shut down all the time to do maintenance.

Then there's the whole safety certification for any new nuclear power plant to go through which can take a decade.

I'm all for the thorium cycle, really. But it's at best still a decade out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

spankmeister posted:

This is wrong because yeah LFTR, MSR existed but there is a long way to go before any type of thorium breeder design is going to be commercially viable. The concept is proven, but that's about it.
A lot of research still needs to go into materials science because guess what, hot molten salt is corrosive as gently caress and you don't want to have to shut down all the time to do maintenance.

Then there's the whole safety certification for any new nuclear power plant to go through which can take a decade.

Fusions only 20 years out too.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

:stare: No loving way...

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

I thought hard how a gas spring can fail like this until it dawned unto me that it was the seat that was the weak point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spankmeister posted:

I know nothing about Thorium reactors, but don't some solar installations store power using molten salts?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Ok I just looked at my office chair and there's a steel plate between my rear end in a top hat and the uh.....firing chamber. Do they not all have that?

My God the blood in that picture.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all that poopy blood

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Classic:

Obviously should be taken with a handful of salt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know, taking an air piston to the poop chute along with a handful of salt seems like it would be even worse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The downside to all this, "Let's wait for the China Syndrome generation to die, then we'll get nuke plants!" ideal is that...who's gonna build them? And run them? The brain drain is already in progress, and by the time the prevailing public opinion rotates back around to the idea that nuclear energy is a good idea, we'll have lost everyone with tribal knowledge or even basic training in nuclear science.

Cheer up, there are still lots of nuke plants running all over the world, and more being built every year. If america decides it needs more expertise it'll just hire those guys.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cheer up, there are still lots of nuke plants running all over the world, and more being built every year. If america decides it needs more expertise it'll just hire those guys.

MIT has the second highest power research reactor and is still training students on using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcN3KDexcU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wouldn't even worry about it, we have the Navy as the nuke minor league creating way more nuke experts than we know what to do with and that bit of ship management isn't going away any time soon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thorium can be used as a fuel without using a nutty molten salt scheme it's just that molten salt thorium is the power of the future became an internet meme.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The downside to all this, "Let's wait for the China Syndrome generation to die, then we'll get nuke plants!" ideal is that...who's gonna build them? And run them? The brain drain is already in progress, and by the time the prevailing public opinion rotates back around to the idea that nuclear energy is a good idea, we'll have lost everyone with tribal knowledge or even basic training in nuclear science.

modern medical science is impossible with nuclear reactors hth

also how are people still so loving stupid about nuclear smdh

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

MIT has the second highest power research reactor and is still training students on using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcN3KDexcU

I got to go inside the University of Virginia reactor when I was there once. Could see the fuel or whatever at the bottom of this pool it was in. I remember it had a blue glow that was like a shade of blue I had never seen before. It was pretty neat.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Phanatic posted:

You really don't, the attractive materials aren't all that attractive. Also, nobody actually gives a poo poo about proliferation. The entire world has stood by and watched proliferation for decades; since the non-proliferation treaty went into effect we've watched like half a dozen states become nuclear powers and done nothing to even slow that roll, so "this reactor design is no good because of proliferation concerns" is just concern trolling.

Is you whole deal coming up with lovely hot takes to agitate the thread? Its super annoying.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got to go inside the University of Virginia reactor when I was there once. Could see the fuel or whatever at the bottom of this pool it was in. I remember it had a blue glow that was like a shade of blue I had never seen before. It was pretty neat.
The blue glow is called Cherenkov radiation and is a pretty interesting physical phenomenon.

In simple terms you're seeing the "sonic boom" of charged particles as they travel through the water, because the (phase) speed of light in water is lower than the speed of the particle.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spankmeister posted:

Molten salt reactors and LFTRs are only two kinds of thorium reactors. You can fuel plain old light-water reactors with thorium, and we have. The US had a working, commercial, high-temperature gas-cooled reactor generating power with thorium 40 years ago.

It's an entirely different class of problem than commercial fusion.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqpg7nI4rKs&t=28s

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

The blue glow is called Cherenkov radiation and is a pretty interesting physical phenomenon.

In simple terms you're seeing the "sonic boom" of charged particles as they travel through the water, because the (phase) speed of light in water is lower than the speed of the particle.

Yeah I read up on it after the fact, because it was the only time in my life I felt like I was seeing a color for the first time. Which sounds really dumb because we've seen all colors I imagine, but there was something different about it that was just amazing.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Facebook Aunt posted:

more being built every year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkiluoto_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Unit_3

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tsa posted:

modern medical science is impossible with nuclear reactors hth

also how are people still so loving stupid about nuclear smdh

quote:

In the heyday of global nuclear development, nuclear plants drew the best of the best from universities and an abundant engineering and nuclear knowledge worker pool. But in the United States the newest nuclear power plants started contributing to the energy grid in the mid-1980s, resulting in a significant time gap in the development of new nuclear plants.

This latency in the evolution of nuclear power has affected the industry by reducing the number of nuclear university programs and discouraging new engineers from pursuing disciplines in the nuclear field. During this period a global freeze on new nuclear plant development magnified the problem. The amount of new talent entering the industry became stagnant for decades.

With the new emphasis on green energy, smaller carbon footprints and the ecological impact and cost of fossil fuels, the nuclear industry is once again growing, producing a rising market demand for nuclear professionals and an increased awareness of the need to maintain, sustain and grow the nuclear knowledgebase. The growth of the industry will be impeded unless viable solutions are implemented to capture and apply the knowledge of workers.

In 2006, the IAEA’s (International Atomic Energy Agency) report titled Risk Management of Knowledge Loss in Nuclear Industry Organizations stated “There are two other complicating factors. The USA faces the issue of a ‘greying’ workforce where literally half the current workers will be eligible to retire within the next five years.

http://nuclearstreet.com/nuclear_po...r-industry-1812

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Was going to post this.

Construction started 2005
Today's projected completion estimate is September 2019

Yeah, don't hire those guys if you want a nuclear plant anytime soon

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

:stare: No loving way...
So what was the cost cutting mechanism that killed this person? Using an explosive gas instead of air because the cylinder ran empty that day? Just overcompressing the poo poo out of it for some reason?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spatial posted:

So what was the cost cutting mechanism that killed this person? Using an explosive gas instead of air because the cylinder ran empty that day? Just overcompressing the poo poo out of it for some reason?

I don't think an explosive gas would have really been a problem unless the chair was heated to an unusual degree (the kind that would make you jump up before it exploded), so it's probably extremely high pressurization that failed and blew shrapnel into the dude's major blood vessels in his lower body and his large intestine.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spatial posted:

Using plastic/weak metal as the mount for the gas spring. It breaks, leaving only fleshy bits as resistance.
That's a spring-loaded piston able of holding your weight stabbing you in the rear end.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 26, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cyberbug posted:

Construction started 2005
Today's projected completion estimate is September 2019

Yeah, don't hire those guys if you want a nuclear plant anytime soon

Still beats the TVA. Construction of Watts Bar 2 started in the 1970s. Finished in August 2015.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I am thinking the only thing that could make this thread more interesting is if we could somehow move the nuclear reactors with self-driving cars.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

porktree posted:

I am thinking the only thing that could make this thread more interesting is if we could somehow move the nuclear reactors with self-driving cars.

Sadly we did not have self-driving tech in 1957

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

porktree posted:

How about a nuclear bus?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn’t there a short lived TV series about a nuclear train?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/0yVtqFg.mp4

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Say Nothing posted:

uh pardon what the gently caress happened here

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

unpleasantly turgid posted:

uh pardon what the gently caress happened here

Bean and cheese burrito + diablo sauce

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Kibayasu posted:

Wasn’t there a short lived TV series about a nuclear train?

Supertrain. It was a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/gXbSLDv.mp4