Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people care about Metacritic? Game reviewers don't know what makes games good and are bad at them.

The last day I gave a gently caress about critics is when Saints Row 2 got mediocre scores despite being better than GTAIV in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GTA IV owns and has the best driving in the series

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

a bone to pick posted:

The last day I gave a gently caress about critics is when Saints Row 2 got mediocre scores despite being better than GTAIV in every possible way.

2008 does seem to have been a pivotal year in that regard. I also remember peacing out of reviews at the same time after both Far Cry 2 and Spore got rave reviews when they were in order, extremely broken and over-hyped trash.

It was around then that all the review buying shenanigans began to come out in the wash if I remember.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

They hated him because he told the truth.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hawowanlawow posted:

Jesus loving christ

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jeza posted:

2008 does seem to have been a pivotal year in that regard. I also remember peacing out of reviews at the same time after both Far Cry 2 and Spore got rave reviews when they were in order, extremely broken and over-hyped trash.

It was around then that all the review buying shenanigans began to come out in the wash if I remember.

Everyone who gave Spore and SimCity 2013 a good review should he banned from reviewing games forever

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone who gave Spore and SimCity 2013 a good review should he banned from reviewing games forever

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Bholder posted:

I think it is a perfect time for my unpopular opinion:

Fallout New Vegas is not very good
i love new vegas' commitment to plausible world building. but i also find its basic gamebryo first person gameplay loop crushingly boring and have never really gotten past the first ~20 hrs (after trying literally 4 or 5 times).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't like New Vegas as much as internet people did either tbh

People say the writing is the shining star of the game but holy poo poo do I not care about anything that's going on. I aligned with the old robot man and killed everyone else. It was like "I guess this is decently fun but also pretty mediocre??". Never saw the greatness in the game and the world itself was a step down from F3 somehow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I didn't like New Vegas as much as internet people did either tbh

People say the writing is the shining star of the game but holy poo poo do I not care about anything that's going on. I aligned with the old robot man and killed everyone else. It was like "I guess this is decently fun but also pretty mediocre??". Never saw the greatness in the game and the world itself was a step down from F3 somehow

It's more about the quest design than anything. Fallout 3 has a more fun world to just go out and explore, and if you go into New Vegas hoping to do that then it's probably going to fall flat. Where New Vegas shines is that the quests actually have some depth and reactivity to them, unlike Bethesda's generally linear philosophy. That's what I like about it, anyway.

It definitely has some serious problems, especially with how the factions end up being written and the city of New Vegas itself being the most boring part, but IMO the quest design blows anything Bethesda has ever done out of the water and sort of made it impossible for me to enjoy Fallout 4 afterwards. "Just go out and explore and don't think too hard about 'roleplaying' your character" isn't what I really want from Fallout, I guess?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Deus Ex 2 is nowhere near as good as 1 but it's a fun little shooter/RPG romp with some good writing in spots and is worth a playthrough. Also Bot Domination is a lot of fun.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

olives black posted:

Deus Ex 2 is nowhere near as good as 1 but it's a fun little shooter/RPG romp with some good writing in spots and is worth a playthrough. Also Bot Domination is a lot of fun.

DX 2 was too ambitious for the Xbox-sized box they had to fit it in. If they'd made the whole thing take place indoors or something instead of telling you this big hallway was "the City of Seattle" it would have been better.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

TheScott2K posted:

DX 2 was too ambitious for the Xbox-sized box they had to fit it in. If they'd made the whole thing take place indoors or something instead of telling you this big hallway was "the City of Seattle" it would have been better.

The general idea was that the environment was so hosed up from nanites and poo poo that most of the planet was uninhabitable. That's why "the City of Seattle" only appears as a small series of interconnected hallways in a shopping mall - there's gently caress all left that's worth spending time to see.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

olives black posted:

The general idea was that the environment was so hosed up from nanites and poo poo that most of the planet was uninhabitable. That's why "the City of Seattle" only appears as a small series of interconnected hallways in a shopping mall - there's gently caress all left that's worth spending time to see.

They didn't convey it well. If you can't make a city but can make a series of rooms and hallways with 12 people in it, build your game around rooms and hallways with 12 people in them.

Just felt like a huge step back from Hong Kong in the original which, though some pretty clever trickery and insane density, pulled that feat off much more effectively.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TheScott2K posted:

They didn't convey it well. If you can't make a city but can make a series of rooms and hallways with 12 people in it, build your game around rooms and hallways with 12 people in them.

Just felt like a huge step back from Hong Kong in the original which, though some pretty clever trickery and insane density, pulled that feat off much more effectively.

you're not wrong initially but they make it pretty fuckin' clear with the upper/lower seattle divide and then immediately following that the entire cairo level where you're explicitly told it's an arcology

if you play dx 2 immediately before dx 1 like i did the first time you go through liberty island full of grays and templars and poo poo with four or five loading screens and a ton of invisible walls, immediately followed by going through it again as a single giant level with a bunch of really loving cool areas and it feels like DX2 was made first lol

dx2 desperately needs a remake/remaster

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The new God of War is just ok.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Astrochicken posted:

The new God of War is just ok.

Hey Man It Was Time For God of War to Grow Up and Here's Why That's a Good Thing

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That bonus in that contract was an incentive by Bethesda for Obsidian to do a good job, the only one who hosed up was Obsidian

Here's what Chris Avellone said on it

Chris Avellone posted:

Kit Walker: So what is the true story behind FNV? I keep hearing how bathesda farked o*sidian with the metacritic score?

I don't believe they did at all - it was our responsibility to do more to make the game better, but the people making the decisions on game quality kept getting distracted by shiny objects.

It was Obsidian's fault, and as Ferg said, Bethesda didn't even have to offer that in the contract at all - it was up to us to manage it to a successful quality completion, and we didn't succeed at that. Good people lost their jobs because of that.

I gave a lot of thought as to why, and some of it came out in my Hierarchy presentations - don't let the person who can enact change be distracted. Let them use their powers for good to fix the title, because they have the authority to ensure quality is achieved.

Quillon: Its funny the leaker of that info being you and blaming Obs afterwards

It is widely believed that when that statement was revealed, that it was blaming Bethesda.

It wasn't, it was recognizing we as a studio should have done better - and even a little bit better (1%) could have had huge benefits (and we could have kept people we had to let go).

My feelings then are the same as my feelings now, and I stand by that. It's an unpopular stance (the anti-underdog stance usually is compared to the underdog needs a little more training montage moments), but I believe it's the correct one.

Bethesda was trying to encourage us to do a quality job, they didn't have to, and we missed the mark - but within the realm where it was clear we could have fixed it.

I wrote post-mortems as reminders and plans to myself about how we could fix this in the future (clear hierarchy, keep the people who can make the decisions focused on reviewing the content and enacting change and finding bugs vs. adding more features/getting lost in the weeds, etc.).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

It's more about the quest design than anything. Fallout 3 has a more fun world to just go out and explore,

People keep saying that, but lol, it was just an endless stretch of copy pasted wasteland strewn with copy pasted buildings with copy pasted characters.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hawowanlawow posted:

I was so disappointed that they changed the driving in 5. Didn't feel the same

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

That bonus in that contract was an incentive by Bethesda for Obsidian to do a good job, the only one who hosed up was Obsidian

Here's what Chris Avellone said on it

lol

I'm sure he's speaking out his mind and not just choosing his words so as not to burn any bridges.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

disc jam is a thoroughly underrated game and more people need to play it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

lol

I'm sure he's speaking out his mind and not just choosing his words so as not to burn any bridges.

Is he wrong though?

no

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

People keep saying that, but lol, it was just an endless stretch of copy pasted wasteland strewn with copy pasted buildings with copy pasted characters.

I can assume you didn't speak to a lot of those characters then :shrug:

Like I said, the world design isn't all that interesting. It's a ring-shaped road with occasional attractions on the side and a very boring city at the northern end. The quests are the interesting part. If you play it like Fallout 3/4, with an intention of just going off in a direction to see interesting things to find and shoot at, it's gonna be a real boring time.

What you described sounds a lot more like Skyrim to me than it does New Vegas, honestly

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

I can assume you didn't speak to a lot of those characters then :shrug:

Like I said, the world design isn't all that interesting. It's a ring-shaped road with occasional attractions on the side and a very boring city at the northern end. The quests are the interesting part. If you play it like Fallout 3/4, with an intention of just going off in a direction to see interesting things to find and shoot at, it's gonna be a real boring time.

What you described sounds a lot more like Skyrim to me than it does New Vegas, honestly

No, I was talking about FO3. I think New Vegas' map is actually a brilliant example of game design. It takes place in a desert, with a limited palette of assets, yet every place is identifiable, there are many landmarks guiding you through, and the ring road actually provides a natural, easy to follow structure for first time players instead of the random criss crossing of the map FO3 expects from the player.

In contrast the supposedly more fun to explore FO3 world is just a flat wasteland with randomly distributed "points of interest"-

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

No, I was talking about FO3. I think New Vegas' map is actually a brilliant example of game design. It takes place in a desert, with a limited palette of assets, yet every place is identifiable, there are many landmarks guiding you through, and the ring road actually provides a natural, easy to follow structure for first time players instead of the random criss crossing of the map FO3 expects from the player.

Ah yeah, fair enough. And honestly it's been a long time since I've played Fallout 3 so I might be remembering it as more interesting than it was. I can say that Fallout 4's map is pretty well designed and has a lot of landmarks that make you go "what's that cool thing over there?" which I might be thinking of when people praise the exploration in FO3

Skyrim is the one that totally lost me, though, after New Vegas. I dunno what I was expecting, I guess, but exploring it was bland as hell and there weren't cool quests to keep me hooked

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

lol

He's already burnt and exploded his bridges then salted the smoking remnants with Cobalt 60 so no-one can cross them for 10,000 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

Ah yeah, fair enough. And honestly it's been a long time since I've played Fallout 3 so I might be remembering it as more interesting than it was. I can say that Fallout 4's map is pretty well designed and has a lot of landmarks that make you go "what's that cool thing over there?" which I might be thinking of when people praise the exploration in FO3

Skyrim is the one that totally lost me, though, after New Vegas. I dunno what I was expecting, I guess, but exploring it was bland as hell and there weren't cool quests to keep me hooked

FO4 has plenty of landmarks... that lose all their appeal when you realize they are all going to be full of generic trash mobs and generic loot.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

FO4 has plenty of landmarks... that lose all their appeal when you realize they are all going to be full of generic trash mobs and generic loot.

New Vegas land marks had even less in them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bholder posted:

:wrong:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh no, I clearly remember. Most of the random landmarks you find in are empty houses with a bunch of loot in it and nothing else. The closest thing to environmental story you get is from the name of the place.

Most of the areas in NV that are not Quest related are really empty and boring

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, no argument there. I'm just talking about the map itself. Fallout 4 is a mile wide and an inch deep, but at least it has a little more going for it moment-to-moment than Fallout 3. I'm not a fan of either game, really.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bholder posted:

you haven't played it, have you

Bholder posted:

Oh no, I clearly remember. Most of the random landmarks you find in are empty houses with a bunch of loot in it and nothing else. The closest thing to environmental story you get is from the name of the place.

Most of the areas in NV that are not Quest related are really empty and boring

Good thing that all places are quest related, pretty much.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

New Vegas quest design is so much better its crazy.

Bethesda dialogue is basically a few exposition options and "say yes like a normal person and "say yes like a jerk"

Acting like a jerk in vegas in a similar situation can close the quest, or change the outcome beyond making people hostile versus cooperating with them. Solving qiests dont always have a single possible solution. The only other time ive seen this more than a few token times in a game is witcher 3.

Obsidian has a different approach to RPGs than bethesda and i guess its a matter if you like shoddy open worlds with lazy and threadbare quests and storytelling or if you like rpgs where the story and questing has been invested in to the detriment of like everything else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress, I kept expecting FO4 to at least have something as simple as that Fiend vault where you can go in without making every single NPC automatically hostile and even have a bit of chit chat with a faction that is normally hostile, but no, that literally doesn't exist, every single being spawned in the world is automatically and irrevocably hostile to the player.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Let us not talk about choices and consequences in New Vegas because it reminds me of the Ceasar plot and that is some dumb poo poo I would expect from a real Bethesda game...
Yet people praise it, and I don't understand...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
According to Metacritic, the best Fallout was Fallout 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bholder posted:

Let us not talk about choices and consequences in New Vegas because it reminds me of the Ceasar plot and that is some dumb poo poo I would expect from a real Bethesda game...
Yet people praise it, and I don't understand...

What's wrong with Caesar? Yes, he is evil, there isn't supposed to be a moral equivalence of the Legion with the other factions. And his story and that of his faction makes sense

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A lot of Caesar's Legion content was cut, Obsidian admitted they hosed up on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress, I kept expecting FO4 to at least have something as simple as that Fiend vault where you can go in without making every single NPC automatically hostile and even have a bit of chit chat with a faction that is normally hostile, but no, that literally doesn't exist, every single being spawned in the world is automatically and irrevocably hostile to the player.

I really don't know why I bought Fallout 4. For some reason I thought, maybe Bethesda would try a little bit on their quests and writing this time, maybe, just maybe. I didn't expect it to be like New Vegas, but just better quests than Fallout 3. That isn't what I got. The shooting was better, I guess?

I dunno. I hope I've actually learned my lesson this time about buying Bethesda games. I don't begrudge the people who love them, but they're just not for me.