Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RIP Robot x Laserbeam, it wasn't good

i still kind of loved it? especially when it was clear the author was just having flashbacks to games of Pangya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wait, did Robot X Laserbeam really end out of nowhere, or was it just announced to be ending? Considering where it ended last chapter I guess I could see how they could end it in the next chapter but drat, that's harsh.

I enjoyed reading it well enough but I definitely don't see how he intended to keep it going nearly as long as other sports manga. Without going completely over the top with it, as in like full on super powers not just super concentration or hitting styles, 18 holes of 1 v 1 hitting balls at holes can only be so dynamic in print media. I will always remember the DON TRAPS though.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Fabricated posted:

Everyone is Jellal.

:ssh: Don't tell everyone Jellal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'll always remember the entire cast of characters who got vanished out of the story because they just skipped right through high school probably because an editor said so

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah like the sumo manga it seemed like they skipped to the last arc in an effort to revitalize things, but then it got canceled during the second actual golf game after that, ouch.

I hope Hinomaru doesn't get canceled, it's pretty rad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The biggest crime is naming it Robot X Laserbeam and making it about golf.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Even for a sport series, Robot X Laserbeam was dreadfully boring for me.
The new jump start featuring a time traveling battle secretary and future president seems much more appealing. So I hope that one can take the open slot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

The new jump start featuring a time traveling battle secretary and future president seems much more appealing. So I hope that one can take the open slot.

What's this one?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

King Golf and Dan-Doh kinda succeeded there.
I want to say that part of this is because they are in different magazines. Outside of Haikyuu and maybe a sumo manga I don't remember a sports series really thriving in Weekly Shonen Jump as of recent. Sesuji wo pin got a decent run and that's the last one I can think of. Surprising that Dance Sport got as much love as it did in recent years.

quote:

What's really a death sentence is trying to do soccer in Weekly Shonen Jump after Tsubasa
RIP Shudan, at least Yokota had another project he could work on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hinomaru has an anime coming out and seems to have someone pulling for it (its survival despite its pretty mediocre volume sales and middling at best position in the magazine for the last couple of years is odd) so it'll get through it's current big arc probably. Hinomaru feels like it's basically sponsored by the sumo industry because it spends a lot of time explaining the minutia of how it all works and adheres strictly to the rules to the point everyone is wearing a topknot and you can't recognise half the cast anymore.

It's neat though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

chumbler posted:

What's this one?

It's called Seiji Tanaka: Secretary to the managing president General Time Industries
It's done by Keiji Amatsuka

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fabricated posted:

and adheres strictly to the rules to the point everyone is wearing a topknot and you can't recognise half the cast anymore.
I appreciated the foresight of the artist to give the other half of the cast crazy eyes (especially the yokozuna's dual pupils) so they're still recognizable.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I'll always remember the entire cast of characters who got vanished out of the story because they just skipped right through high school probably because an editor said so

"let's just spend as little time as we can in high school" is a revolutionary move for a manga

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sindai posted:

I appreciated the foresight of the artist to give the other half of the cast crazy eyes (especially the yokozuna's dual pupils) so they're still recognizable.
Yeah, some of the supporting cast are hard to recognise overall though.

I did like how they addressed the racism of the older wrestlers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sindai posted:

Yeah like the sumo manga it seemed like they skipped to the last arc in an effort to revitalize things, but then it got canceled during the second actual golf game after that, ouch.

I hope Hinomaru doesn't get canceled, it's pretty rad.

Hinomaru has been pumping out the chapters lately and I get the feeling the author wanted a reason for it not to run a million chapters rather than early cancellation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

those are all true about fairy tail and also rave master was better. this first chapter of the new series seems like more fairy tail to me, but the premise is kinda cool and I never disliked fairy tail enough to actually drop it so I'll prob check in on this occasionally too

on robot x laserbeam: I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did tbh

eventually rave master devolved into endless power level hell. the new villain has their opponent's power +1, and it's a completely one-sided beatdown until the good guy gets their opponent's power +1. the same exact poo poo, over and over for a few hundred chapters.

rave master is godawful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

god I forgot about Mystogan and Edolas in general

Fairy Tail is a perfect example of shounen action series being waaaaaay longer than they need to be.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I still really like the Grand Magic Games arc a ton.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

I still really like the Grand Magic Games arc a ton.
It contains the only use of the legendary Fairy Glitter spell that accomplishes anything

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I actually kind of remember that arc... Well sort of

Gajeel gets a cool moment when he dunks the useless Holy and shadow dragon slayers

Lucy gets ditched by Aquarius to get her rear end totally kicked for the umpteenth time

Laxus beats up an entire guild by himself

That's about it actually

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
im not going to follow this series until not-jellal shows up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I actually kind of remember that arc... Well sort of

Gajeel gets a cool moment when he dunks the useless Holy and shadow dragon slayers

Lucy gets ditched by Aquarius to get her rear end totally kicked for the umpteenth time

Laxus beats up an entire guild by himself

That's about it actually
Erza kills a 100 monsters pretty much entirely off-screen

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
FT greatest moment was the moment in the final arc where Mashima had a character whose magic only affected people who had sex just so we could finally see who was a virgin in that series.

All series need something like that tbh.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

During Phantom Lord, which is right when I started reading, there's that bit where Mistgun shows up at the old lady's house, she asks where the hell he was during the whole war thing, and he shows off the flags of all of Phantom Lord's sub-guilds, which he destroyed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

During Phantom Lord, which is right when I started reading, there's that bit where Mistgun shows up at the old lady's house, she asks where the hell he was during the whole war thing, and he shows off the flags of all of Phantom Lord's sub-guilds, which he destroyed.

That was the peak of my Mistgun hype :saddowns:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tbf Edolas was kind of a cool arc, it just was almost totally inconsequential.

Gajeel got a giant punchcat out of it I guess

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Things I remember liking about Fairy Tail:

- Gajeel & Levy
- ???

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

kidcoelacanth posted:

Things I remember liking about Fairy Tail:

- Gajeel & Levy
- ???
I kinda remember random stuff like a fever dream.

When I was reading it I constantly lost time and wouldn't remember reading it until I read it again

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't call FT good, I sure didn't finish it for one, but I'd be lying if I didn't say there were parts I remember fondly. Like Erza.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's just so much of it and most of it was largely inoffensive

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's just so much of it and most of it was largely inoffensive

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fairy Tail was 80% generic, 10% good and 10% bad

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Fairy Tail was 80% generic, 10% good and 10% bad

80% tits, 10% fights, 10% friendship.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

IceBorg posted:

FT greatest moment was the moment in the final arc where Mashima had a character whose magic only affected people who had sex just so we could finally see who was a virgin in that series.

All series need something like that tbh.
I'm sorry what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking about hinomaru zumou, it seems like we're getting pretty close to the end and it just got an anime announcement. maybe the editors forced the time skip to speed things up but I don't think it's gonna get canceled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rave master is godawful.

I was comparing it to fairy tail, not one piece or w/e. it is absolutely better than fairy tail

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Brought To You By posted:

I'm sorry what?

It really happened. Chapter 508.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fabricated posted:

I kinda remember random stuff like a fever dream.

When I was reading it I constantly lost time and wouldn't remember reading it until I read it again

I read the series all the way through and somehow I don't remember a drat thing about it. I don't know how one manages that but it's impressive in its own way how unmemorable it is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nalin posted:

:psyduck: I didn't read FAiry Tale, but I looked it up on the wiki and it's apparently the magic called pleasure.

link

quote:

Description

Pleasure is a type of Magic that, according to one of its caster in Larcade, only affects those who have experienced the "forbidden" pleasure (those that have indulged in their desire to seek out sexual pleasure), and cannot be avoided by those people; those affected are struck with pleasure so intense that, if experienced for long enough, causes them to die. The caster can opt to turn the Magic into one that affects a wide area, though this has the drawback of affecting allies who may be otherwise qualify to be affected. It also appears that Pleasure can be directed on a small group of people (even if they don't meet the requirements), and overload them with pleasure regardless. This type of maneuver takes the appearance of tentacles that grab the targets, but the tangible nature of this kind of attack also means that the tentacles can be severed, thus allowing those attacked to be freed. The Magic can also be turned into blades of light that the user can launch towards their target; these blades are as sharp as any normal sword.
The author isn't very subtle is he?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol sexhaving is forbidden

the really funny part of that scene was how you were supposed to think the death orgasm guy was using it on his mother. her kid turned out to be some other guy instead, but it was still hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nalin posted:

:cripes: You know, one of the things I noticed before I dropped the series. And even afterwards based on images and comments floating around was just how hard Mashima leaned into fan service and related stuff with Fairy Tail. But I don't even know how to describe this, just feels outright stupid as a plot device in a series about wizards punching each other.