Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Now that they fixed Thunderers you want to get them sooner rather than later as Ungrim, because while VC don't have a lot of different armored units they WILL start spamming Black Knights and Grave Guard. The other nice thing about Thunderers is that their fast projectile speed makes them great for shooting down flyers.

Only bummer is that Salt Mines give veterancy /discounts to Thunderers, but most of them are pretty far south of Ungrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I might talk a lot of poo poo about dwarves, but I love rangers. Use em all day and all night

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ravenfood posted:

I want a Minotaur LL.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Taurox

I have no idea why CA didn't go with him. You think they would have realized that minotaurs are the most fun part of the faction and leaned into it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Senor Dog posted:

I might talk a lot of poo poo about dwarves, but I love rangers. Use em all day and all night

Get the Bugman's Brewery landmark building if you can; in addition to getting massive amounts of beer to trade your Rangers get like +5 veterancy. Combine it with the research that gives +2 veterancy and you end up with pretty potent Rangers.

While they have less armor and ammo than quarrelers, the Vanguard and better melee abilities are worth it for pretty much the same price. They're also faster and the Bugman version has regeneration!

C&C makes them REALLY fun; improving their melee stats and giving them that poison that gives enemies - 10 MA/MD. These guys don't even need to be screened at all, since they can now fight off many infantry that charge them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

I have no idea why CA didn't go with him. You think they would have realized that minotaurs are the most fun part of the faction and leaned into it.
Hell yeah that'd be cool. Also, reading various linked pages on that website led me to find out that Tzeentch-related Doombulls are actually skilled sorcerers. You could work something into the current Doombull line and make their mutually exclusive skill-trees related to Chaos Marks, like the +attack line is Khornate, the +defense/armor could be Slaanesh, then add a line for bound or normal spells for Tzeentch and a poison aura/regen effect for Nurgle. Another Beastmen start with this guy would be great. Supposedly, he's near Talabheim, but they could move him wherever.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I really hope beastmen get another ll because drat I love them but I refuse to use the one that starts in the badlands hell war, and I don't like using morghur because minotaur are my favorite unit in the game,which really only leaves me with khazrak

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I don't know if CA would do this, but come war 3 and they work all their races in, would people still buy retro DLC for released races.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

More types of heroes and lords would be rad for beastmen

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

I really hope beastmen get another ll because drat I love them but I refuse to use the one that starts in the badlands hell war, and I don't like using morghur because minotaur are my favorite unit in the game,which really only leaves me with khazrak

try using the migration assistant that guy made in this thread; you can start with whichever Beastman lord wherever in the map you want

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is this the Underway that I've heard so much about?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Vargs posted:

Is this the Underway that I've heard so much about?

Too many trees, clearly it is a World Root, good job finding it!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

Just pack up and head to brighter shores

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Whoever said that Wood Elves can coast through on very basic units and to be aggressive with them was on point. Hard/Hard campaign, Orion with one turn of requirement can wipe out Pavarron in 3-4 turns if you catch their starting army defending the minor settlement (which will happen because you have to Wood Walk your way there and they come to defend). Then go punch goblins and that should make Bretonnia more or less happy with you. After that, you should have money for a second army and a plethora of targets.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Still playing Vanilla, I beat the Empire campaign and got every building-related achievement I can get there, and thought I'm free. Then I learn I have to get every technology to get the achievment and ugggh.

The way everyone turns on you once chaos goes away and you're left with great power makes me sad.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Still playing Vanilla, I beat the Empire campaign and got every building-related achievement I can get there, and thought I'm free. Then I learn I have to get every technology to get the achievment and ugggh.

The way everyone turns on you once chaos goes away and you're left with great power makes me sad.

Sort of feels fitting for the setting where the threat of Chaos is the one thing that makes the nominally good guys band together and when it's not about they go back to hating each other over stupid poo poo.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

What's the consensus on Steel Faith Overhaul? I started my first ME campaign as Dwarfs, without any mods, and noticed it was much more challenging than Dwarfs were in TW1. Then I tried the same with SFO installed and I'm just stomping Grobi into the mountainsides. Is it kind of unbalanced or this something about playstyle?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Hungry posted:

What's the consensus on Steel Faith Overhaul? I started my first ME campaign as Dwarfs, without any mods, and noticed it was much more challenging than Dwarfs were in TW1. Then I tried the same with SFO installed and I'm just stomping Grobi into the mountainsides. Is it kind of unbalanced or this something about playstyle?

It is pretty badly balanced, most total overhauls are.

Whenever mods change most of the unit stats chances are nonexistent that they've been tested enough to justify the changes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KPC_Mammon posted:

Whenever mods change most of the unit stats chances are nonexistent that they've been tested enough to justify the changes.

This is abundantly clear when you think about how CA will release a new faction like Tomb Kings and most overhauls are updated for compatibility with sweeping overhauls to the new race in under a week.

Overhauls are mostly ways to dramatically alter how you experience the campaign(such as C&C's massively altered lord trees/unit caps) rather than rigorously balanced gameplay experiences.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SFO is mostly intended to make the game closer to ~the lore~ and not necessarily sensibly balanced. If you want the latter you can download its stand alone unit/building packs for vanilla that follow the normal game's stat lines.

That said, I think that the SFO Dwarf campaign is supposed ramp up in difficulty as it progresses and you start taking larger public order hits to maintain your economy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SFO is a great way to make you want to play it after the first couple times you play through. It's not a better game than vanilla (well, in some ways it is to me I guess). SFO makes vampires and orcs have 3000+ units in typical stacks. Makes magic particularly devastating. Adds some cool units. But at the end of the day, it's only worth playing once you get kind of "bored" with Vanilla. And it's not very poorly balanced honestly, it's just that it includes an AR mod that prompts you to play the battle map more often.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Just started trying SFO too, any idea how does it have the problem of spells doing less on ultra unit size?

Been using large for quite a while now, not sure if my computer can handle ultra in any case.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think magic scaling is pretty spot on with SFO. Most spells are fairly devastating. A burning head will usually kill the bulk of a unit of zombies/skeltons/goblins/orcs if it hits the whole unit. Searing doom is way, way worth using a bunch.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I find magic to be pretty effective on ultra in both vanilla and SFO these days. It isn't anywhere near as bad as most of WH1's lifespan where the only spells that could kill anything were Winds of Death and Fate of Bjuna.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Can winds of death be rotated like the other spells in WH2? That would make it much, much more useful.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Yeah fire magic in particular seems crazy devastating to low and mid tier troops these days. I had a Bright Wizard overcast the fire vortex spell in a battle against Orcs yesterday and the thing completely shredded 4 units including one of my poor swordsmen units. That one spell netted him over 200 kills and that's not even counting the 100 or so friendly fire kills. The burning head is great too, slightly less killy then the vortex but much easier to aim. Hell, even the basic Fireball spell actually does pretty good work if you have enough time to cast it a bunch.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Magic got even stronger because they reduced the AI's dodging of projectiles, and that included bombardment spells. I can actually kill enemies in an advancing line using Gelt's Searing Rain since they'll usually barrel through it, and the overcasted version doesn't even feel like a waste of winds anymore since you'll tag a lot of dudes.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks to an incredible giving goon and a little bit of luck I'll be able to pick this up tomorrow. Few questions - is the Queen and the Crone required like the Dwarf one and the other one for WH1? Are the tomb kings worth their relatively high price? What campaign would ya'll recommend trying first?

And mortal empires will be playable even without buying any of the DLC for 2 right?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Frog Act posted:

Thanks to an incredible giving goon and a little bit of luck I'll be able to pick this up tomorrow. Few questions - is the Queen and the Crone required like the Dwarf one and the other one for WH1? Are the tomb kings worth their relatively high price? What campaign would ya'll recommend trying first?

And mortal empires will be playable even without buying any of the DLC for 2 right?

No DLC required for ME. Queen and crone is only necessary if you like elves. I'm not a fan of TK but I am in the minority. I always recommend an elf playthrough, but if you like monsters go with dinos and if you like big huge armies with artillery go with Skaven.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
If you own TW1 and TW2 and no DLC, then I believe you can play as up to 8 races in Mortal Empires. Brettonia is free DLC so that makes it 9 without paid DLC.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If you play multiplayer, a lot of the DLC fills gaps in a teams unit roster they are a bit weak in. It kinda sucks but you can still compete without them.

If you own TW1 and TW2, just buy the DLC you want to play.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Queen and the Crone is nice but not essential, can easily be held off until you've had your fill of the base game elf lords.

Tomb Kings are awesome, with four lords and I believe everything from the tabletop roster. Their campaign and battle mechanics are very idiosyncratic though and may not be to everyone's taste. Their units cost nothing (neither to recruit or upkeep) and are instead limited by a hard cap on numbers. In battle they're based around hordes of utterly, utterly worthless skeletons supporting a small number of incredibly strong statue monsters. They're focused on the unique elements of monsters, heroes and magic probably moreso than any other faction.

You can play Mortal Empires in the WH2 launcher if you have both base games in your steam library. You have access to whatever DLC content you own on the ME map.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I don't do multiplayer and have all the DLC for 1 except for Beastmen and Chaos, so I reckon I'll be good to go for a dope ME playthrough without buying the TK. $20 for one race just seems too steep after getting the TWW1 ones on sale for $10. I think I'm gonna try Skaven first because they look dope

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd like tomb kings better if their first dynasty techs improved skeleton warriors like it says in the fluff description.

As is, their infantry is jus terrible and their garrisons are complete garbage.

Their constructs also get dunked on by darkshards pretty hard.

I want to like them but just ugh.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I dont know posted:

this dude sounds cool as poo poo

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

verbal enema posted:

this dude sounds cool as poo poo

Seriously. Minotaur legendary lord with perfect vigor and high armor sounds exactly like what I want to play.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, if we ever seen another LL lord for a TWW1 race, I hope it comes packaged with a complete skill refurbishment for all the TWW1 lords. Because it's just painful going from how they're set up in TWW2 back to the setup in TWW1 - especially the red line skills.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KPC_Mammon posted:

SFO has existed since the begining of the first game so saying it's not tested is pretty silly. It's constantly changing based on feedback from their fans.

It's a very decent overhaul after you've played a bunch of vanilla warhams. Definitely grab it but not for your first run.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But balanced it ain’t because ~~lore~~

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is why I play radious. It is really fun seeing bestigors to specific gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So does play progress trigger chaos? I'm unifying territory fast as the Dwarfs and the big invasion just triggered on turn 80. Gonna dump this campaign tomorrow for lizard men but until then I'm gonna dick around some more learbjnh how to play on Hard, which hasn't been very different from normal except for agent success rates