Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the British education pipeline goes like this:

Primary School: Ages 4-11. You sit SATs in the final year that determine your initial placement in secondary school attainment sets.

Secondary School (also often called high school colloquially): Ages 11-16. You sit a series of major exams called the GCSEs in the final year, Year 11, which is where the original mystery kids are at right now. Until very recently, this was the extent of mandatory education, and you could go and get a job or an apprenticeship after graduating at 16. Further education starts with:

College: Ages 16-18. This is a two year intensive study program where you pick up to five subjects of your choice, drop one in the second year if you choose, and graduate with specific advanced qualifications in, hopefully, fields you're interested in. College is a really wide open experience with almost no mandatory subjects (in the first year you do have to attend a mandatory class teaching general life skills and formal logic).

For instance, my subjects were Law, English Literature, English Language, and Drama & Theatre Studies, no maths or sciences at all. If you want you can pick like, Music Technology, Urdu, Archaeology, and Computer Science. Colleges usually also offer many vocational courses as extracurriculars, so while you're studying for university admissions you can get an official qualification in health and safety or graphic design or similar.

It's honestly a great system that really encourages young people to follow excellence in their interests, and prevents them from being dragged down by subjects they hate. It's also useful for universities, since the specificity of the courses helps them pick out talent for a given degree program more accurately. College recently became mandatory in the UK, so all 16-18 year olds are now expected to attend.

Colleges that are attached to a secondary school and function as an adjunct/extension of it are called sixth forms. Old, fancy schools tend to have these. Most secondary school students who go to a school with a sixth form will just continue on in the same school for college education out of inertia and familiarity, although it isn't mandatory. Griswolds apparently had an adjunct sixth form which is now being closed, so Shauna, Lottie, Mildred et al will have to scramble round the local colleges going to open days and worrying about admissions. This is probably pretty stressful when they thought they had their next two years of schooling already sorted out. The college you go to really matters - it's kind of like "university lite", and the quality of the teaching and resources on offer can vary widely, so this is a significantly more stressful development than, say, having to go to a different secondary school would be.

University: Either a three or a four year undergraduate course where you pick a subject and study towards a degree. Very similar to the American system, although there are no "majors" or "minors" - you study just one subject, or pick a degree which is specifically combined i.e., History and Classics or Literature and Philosophy. As a result the course load tends to be higher, but more focused, so it encourages getting really good at just one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So what exactly are A-Levels, are they...tests? Advanced classes?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also pretty much everything you could study at a degree level course is also available as a college level course, so at age 16 you can be studying things like law, psychology, philosophy, business, film studies, fine art, geology, etc. It's a fantastic kick-start for getting young people involved in the fields they're actually interested in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

So what exactly are A-Levels, are they...tests? Advanced classes?

They're qualifications garnered by a combination of tests and coursework spread out over the two years you're in college. It varies by course, but generally you'll have two or three major coursework assignments (an essay for a "paper" subject, a performance piece or composition for subjects like theatre or music) along with two or three written exams for each year. Your marks for both years are averaged to give you a letter grade for your A level qualifications, with the first year being weighted more lightly than the second in the averaging, to give students who were still getting to grips with the system a break. The best universities uniformly require at least three As at A-level to even consider you for admission to a degree course, so it's pretty high stakes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

(The mildly confusing part is that they're called "A levels" when that has nothing to do with the letter grade you receive. It just stands for "advanced level".)

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Android Blues posted:

(The mildly confusing part is that they're called "A levels" when that has nothing to do with the letter grade you receive. It just stands for "advanced level".)

Dang, I thought it stood for A'S ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTER YOUR ENTIRE FUTURE IS DEPENDING ON THIS ONE MOMENT ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Literally the extent of my knowledge about British schools comes from Harry Potter, and a brief skim of Wikipedia, so that was informative

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey now, it's not Mildred's fault. The real villain is austerity.

Post and user name does... not check out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

They made more sense in contrast to O Levels ("ordinary level") which later became the GCSE.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

But why is it the sixth form. What are the previous five forms.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ditocoaf posted:

quote:

The term survives from an earlier system when the first five years of English secondary schooling were known as forms (which would originally have been long backless benches on which rows of pupils sat in the classroom). Pupils started their first year of secondary school in the first form or first year, and this was the academic year in which pupils would normally become 12 years of age. Pupils would move up a form each year before entering the fifth form in the academic year in which they would have their sixteenth birthday. Those who stayed on at school to study for A-levels moved up into the sixth form, which was divided into the Lower Sixth and the Upper Sixth. In some private schools, the term Middle Sixth was used in place of Upper Sixth, with the latter being used for those who stayed on for an extra term to take the entrance examinations that were previously set for candidates to Oxford or Cambridge universities. Other schools described these Oxbridge examination students as being in the Seventh Form or Third Year Sixth.

Simple, really.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

Secondary school has five "forms" (an antiquated term for pupils divided by year group), so if it's a college attached to a secondary school and you continue directly from one to the other, it's sort of like the "sixth form".

This is confusing to non-posh British people too, because no-one has called them forms in decades. Instead, you would say an 11-12 year old is in Year 7, a 12-13 year old is in Year 8, etc. This follows on directly from the primary school year groups, which start with Reception, a preparatory year for kids to get used to school, and then progress from Year 1 (5-6 year olds) through to Year 6 (10-11 year olds).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Sometimes Scary Go Round is just to British for me. This is one of those times.

Is this system what that incomprehensible OWL NEWT test stuff in Harry Potter was spoofing?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Standardized tests with abreviated names are hardly unique to the British system but yes of course they're based off GCSEs SATs etc.

The house system is the thing most non-Brits think is made up for Harry Potter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr Phillby posted:

The house system is the thing most non-Brits think is made up for Harry Potter.
Wait, what?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

No I mean, they took the tests, but then just stayed on for another year. That was what I thought was weird. And that there were two. I got that one was for graduating and the other was for higher education enrollment, but they just stayed at Hogwarts for another year, so why have the test. Like, wouldn't the school they were already in know if they had the academic ability to take advanced divinitation?

It's been a long time since I've read those books and didn't understand that stuff at the time, so I could have it all mixed up. But the testing and class naming stuff was what confused me most.

Aside from how anyone could ever enjoy watching quidditch.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 26, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It probably would make more sense if the entire British Isles had more than one school.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Griffindoor Hufflepuff malarkey.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For the most part British stuff is intelligible what with being in the same language as American stuff, but every so often there's something weird and alien and it's like it's from Mars.

Which happens a lot when I read Bad Machinery, come to think of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tom Siddell posted:

The school I used to go to used the same class structure, as do most schools in the UK. I used the same names of the houses (they are different now, I gather) and I was even in Queslett North myself.
Year 7 is the first year of secondary school, and is the equivalent of 6th grade in the US. Children in Year 7 are 11 - 12 years old.

This type of class structure isn't unique to boarding schools. Many schools in the UK are like this as far as I know. I went to a normal ol' comprehensive (high school). It just so happens that Gunnerkrigg Court is a boardng school.

This page was my "wait, the Harry Potter house system is real?" moment.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Houses were a convenient way to divide up students beyond or within their year group, especially for boarding schools. Not exclusive to those, though. My dad went to a regular comprehensive and was in, if I recall correctly, "Damien" house. They're a bit antiquated now in most places, though - they'd dropped the system by the time I went to the same school.

In real life they are not usually based on any personal attributes like the Hogwarts or Gunnerkrigg ones.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The "most schools have them" thing is absolutely not true, and I have no idea where Tom Siddell got that. Some do, but it's definitely not the norm. He probably just grew up in a part of the country (or an era?) where it was common.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kind of like how Japanese students use their homeroom to provide a small sense of informal pride and identity?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Both my secondary and primary schools had them. I guess newer schools probably don't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ditocoaf posted:

Who cares, anime has taught me anything that only the final form matters.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pistol_Pete posted:

Post and user name does... not check out.

I'm...not sure what you mean?

Anyway, I saw this comment on the SGR facebook page that might provide a little more clarity on the situation:

HERO posted:

A catchment area is essentially the district in which, if you live there, a given state school has to take you. Funding is linked to catchment demographics, and previously Griswalds has served a population of 6th form students - grades 11 to 12 if I've got my conversions right - who have no other, accessible alternative, so the local government will have been obliged by its duty of care to continue to fund the Griswalds' integrated 6th form.

Alas, with Wendlefield newly accessible, this is no longer the case, and the older students will have to transfer to either an integrated 6th form at a Wendlefield secondary school, or a separate 6th form college.

The HERO designation comes direct from Allison himself, so presumably this is what happened.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the most part British stuff is intelligible what with being in the same language as American stuff, but every so often there's something weird and alien and it's like it's from Mars. Which happens a lot when I read Bad Machinery, come to think of it.
John Allison comes from Mars, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
john allison exists in a superposition of having originated from all weird non-earth places in scarygoround simultaneously

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Australian schools often have houses but they're usually only for school sports and other school competitions.

Since I left, though, my secondary school has reorganised and gone Full Hogwarts and now all the upper school home groups are divvied up by house and put into seperate corners of the building that are covered in colors. It was wierd to see, since when I was there nobody gave a poo poo about houses at all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 27, 2018

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm...not sure what you mean?

I should really have said post and avatar but eh, :effort:

Houses are a posh school thing in the Uk, part of the school's marketing to big up their ancient and exclusive traditions. Normal schools sometimes set up their own House system as a sort of cargo cult imitation: they imagine that posh kids are successful because of poo poo like that rather than because they're rich and well-connected.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're very common in Australia across all kinds of schools, except particularly small ones. Like I said before, if nothing else they make school sports and stuff like that easier to organise.

At my state primary school we had Blue, Red, Green and Yellow House. I was in Blue House. :rock:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i was in blue house and would go in exactly one race in every sporting event to get a participation point. in year 11 i even didn't come last in the 100m sprint because one of the other contestants had an asthma attack and collapsed on the track (i still only just beat her)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Previously, on Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.L.L....

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It would be perfect irony if John puts Scarygoround on temporary hiatus then never comes back to it, given how his previous attempts at wrapping it up have gone.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Blossom is wiser than she appears.
http://www.scarygoround.com/index.php?date=20180627

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Griswald's is so terrible and cash-strapped and the Wendleford college is excellent wouldn't this be kinda a good thing?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MikeJF posted:

If Griswald's is so terrible and cash-strapped and the Wendleford college is excellent wouldn't this be kinda a good thing?

They've had the rug pulled out from under them and they're going to have to commute into strange and hated Wendlefield, I imagine would be the key problems. Then again maybe this will go further towards building some bridges between these towns divided. Maybe the Wendlefield mystery kids (or what's left of them) will even be attending the same college!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

nothing in Wendlefield is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Except the roads out of it! :downsrim: