Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

What's wrong with Caesar? Yes, he is evil, there isn't supposed to be a moral equivalence of the Legion with the other factions. And his story and that of his faction makes sense

That Caesar is dumb as rocks and not in a good way.

First you meet him they actually go out of their way to list off all the things you have done against the Legion so far, then he says he should just kill you right there... but he doesn't he says he was just joking and everything continues like nothing happened. Caesar COMPLETELY TRUSTS YOU to blow up the secret robot bunker right under his lab, he never double checks, he doesn't kill you afterwards, he is convinced you served him just because he heard a rumble.

Again, this is incredibly dumb, especially by the standards New Vegas writing gave.

I kinda know why they did it, old Black Isle really loved their trap options that are not exactly friendly to players and I guess they wanted to hold back a bit, but goddamn, they could've written a better excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

A lot of Caesar's Legion content was cut, Obsidian admitted they hosed up on that

Yeah, the Legion doesn't make a good case for itself in the game, to an outsider actor, but it still makes sense as a Genghis Khan's horde sort of entity, and Caesar makes a case for himself, albeit a flawed one. Contrasted to FO3 Enclave or FO4 Institute who make no loving sense whatsoever, and only exist in the world for their respective aesthetics.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i held off on fo4 for like two years and got it for $15 and it sucks so loving bad it hurts

i'm a weirdo who preferred 3 to NV because i preferred wandering around to following a bunch of questlines, but even NV was great

FO4 is just so. bad. it has so many goddamn systems and parts that you'd think at least something about it would rise above the chaff but nothing even rises to the point of mediocre. the gunplay is bad. the rpg aspects are bad. the inventory is bad. the settlement building is bad. the graphics are bad. the plot is bad. the quests are bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bholder posted:

First you meet him they actually go out of their way to list off all the things you have done against the Legion so far, then he says he should just kill you right there... but he doesn't he says he was just joking and everything continues like nothing happened. Caesar COMPLETELY TRUSTS YOU to blow up the secret robot bunker right under his lab, he never double checks, he doesn't kill you afterwards, he is convinced you served him just because he heard a rumble.

Again, this is incredibly dumb, especially by the standards New Vegas writing gave.

I kinda know why they did it, old Black Isle really loved their trap options that are not exactly friendly to players and I guess they wanted to hold back a bit, but goddamn, they could've written a better excuse.

I guess that one part was indeed a plot hole of sort. They probably should have done more to portray Caesar's cockiness and his self-destructively arrogant attitude to the player, as it stands it's easy to see Caesar as dumb rather than conceited.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MageMage posted:

Arcade game and movies are trash these days, and if anything is even more trash it's games based on movies.

No arcade game and no game based on a movie will ever be topped than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQj8tH5sg84

On a side note I just realized how much the new Jurassic World is a rip off of this game

Holy poo poo I had forgotten that one. One thing the video doesn't capture is that the darn thing was really a motion sim with a game loosely bolted on top. The cabinet was an enclosed jeep shape with a bench that bounced with the ride.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FoolyCharged posted:

Holy poo poo I had forgotten that one. One thing the video doesn't capture is that the darn thing was really a motion sim with a game loosely bolted on top. The cabinet was an enclosed jeep shape with a bench that bounced with the ride.

I wonder if afterburner would blow this guy's mind.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Panzeh posted:

It was like NYEOOOOOO and DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD KAPOW

loving amazing!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Panzeh posted:

Goddamn that looks cool.

^^^^^^
An accurate estimation of how I would probably react

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Did anyone else’s arcade have the plane shooty game that basically strapped you into a gyroscope and swung you around as you played the game and there was always a gross smelling stain on the carpet next to it no matter how much they cleaned

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Did anyone else’s arcade have the plane shooty game that basically strapped you into a gyroscope and swung you around as you played the game and there was always a gross smelling stain on the carpet next to it no matter how much they cleaned

Yes it blew my mind

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I believe that's the one in question. And I'm not particularly surprised severe motion sickness was a common response to it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bholder posted:

It's a game about giving you multiple choices and open-ended responses to the story. Skyrim can begin with you running off with the Imperials who moments before were going to execute you because you were on the wrong wagon.

Skyrim sucks by the way and in a lot of ways is less impressive and more lazy than FO4.

Countless indistinguishable draugr tunnels, exploring dungeons in Skyrim is generally a waste of time. Vendors will eventually sell you everything you could find anyway.

Completely, totally broken stealth and archery mechanics

Bad leveling system

Extremely dull and unrewarding melee combat, saved only by getting Dance of Death and turning it to 100%

As usual boring story full of unkillable characters

New Vegas lacks FO3's atmosphere because the desert is frankly a boring setting, but otherwise it blows all other Fallout/Elder Scrolls titles out of the water.

And I can't say Obsidian's perfect, they did make stupid lame half-finished poo poo like Alpha Protocol. Yeah fight me motherfuckers.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i played a sneak archer in skyrim, and i am UNASHAMED

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

frajaq posted:

That bonus in that contract was an incentive by Bethesda for Obsidian to do a good job, the only one who hosed up was Obsidian

Here's what Chris Avellone said on it

What exactly could have Obsidian have done? New Vegas was already leagues better than Fallout 3.

What were the reviewers main complaints?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

New Vegas was in really bad shape even by the standards of that engine at launch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And I can't say Obsidian's perfect, they did make stupid lame half-finished poo poo like Alpha Protocol. Yeah fight me motherfuckers.

You have to log out now, and never return.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Reminder we could've had the canceled Aliens RPG written by George Ziets instead of that garbage Alpha Protocol if the Obsidian owner wasn't terrible at making decisions

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

basic hitler posted:

New Vegas was in really bad shape even by the standards of that engine at launch.

Oh that makes sense. I played the game a year after it was out.

Is CDProjekt the only big WRPG developer who makes non-bug ridden games at launch?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I was going to go off on you only to realize that Alpha Protocol is only beloved due to most people buying it for $2 combined with it being in a unique non-fantasy or scifi setting.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh that makes sense. I played the game a year after it was out.

Is CDProjekt the only big WRPG developer who makes non-bug ridden games at launch?

I was going to go off on you only to realize that Alpha Protocol is only beloved due to most people buying it for $2 combined with it being in a unique non-fantasy or scifi setting.

What? Witcher had game breaking bugs at launch and so many more issues that their tradition of releasing those free overhauls was born of a desire to unfuck the broken beta state the game shipped as. Witcher 2 was not much better with bad performance and dumb buggy nonsense all the time

I didn't get w3 until I had a PC that could run it about six months after launch but the roach teleporting bugs and other things were kinda glaring

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chrono Trigger is poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IncelThreadGasser posted:

Chrono Trigger is poo poo.

its true, there isn't much strategy to the battles or party composition. and all of the equipment is just a straight linear upgrade. you don't have to make any choices at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What exactly could have Obsidian have done? New Vegas was already leagues better than Fallout 3.

What were the reviewers main complaints?

Pretty sure the narrative of FO: NV being much better than FO3 or 4 is limited to goons and other internet nerd types, while generally the latter 2 are much more popular with the gaming public. I agree it's better, at least in some ways, but it was better in ways the average person probably doesn't give a poo poo about. It was jankier than the average bethesda game which is saying a lot.

It's kind of funny. Barely anyone even acknowledged that New Vegas was better than FO3 until a couple of years after it came out. Even on the forums no one gave a poo poo about it until one day it became this unsung beacon of perfect game design for a million people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

People don't love Alpha Protocol, they love the concept the game was based on and how well it executed that concept specifically, though the rest of the game was bad. The way the scenario progressed according to the player's actions with tons of seemingly interwoven branching paths was good enough that some people were willing to play through the rest of it. It's just a shame it wasn't applied to a game that was good in the moment to moment gameplay. Planescape Torment was another one of those.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alpha protocol is really not good but yeah the sheer complexity and reativity of the story was loving awesome

I still only played it once but I had a good time despite how poo poo the gameplay was.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

signalnoise posted:

People don't love Alpha Protocol, they love the concept the game was based on and how well it executed that concept specifically, though the rest of the game was bad. The way the scenario progressed according to the player's actions with tons of seemingly interwoven branching paths was good enough that some people were willing to play through the rest of it. It's just a shame it wasn't applied to a game that was good in the moment to moment gameplay. Planescape Torment was another one of those.

I'd like to see a Metal Gear game with Alpha Protocol's concept.

Also I never "got Planescape Torment". It was frequently cited as the best RPG of all-time (it was to WRPGs to what Chrono Trigger was to JRPGs). I stopped playing it after two hours because it was boring and the simple act of saying "hello" was like reading a book.

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of funny. Barely anyone even acknowledged that New Vegas was better than FO3 until a couple of years after it came out. Even on the forums no one gave a poo poo about it until one day it became this unsung beacon of perfect game design for a million people.
I didn't even know this was the consensus when I played it. I played it like two years after it came out and adored it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure the narrative of FO: NV being much better than FO3 or 4 is limited to goons and other internet nerd types, while generally the latter 2 are much more popular with the gaming public. I agree it's better, at least in some ways, but it was better in ways the average person probably doesn't give a poo poo about. It was jankier than the average bethesda game which is saying a lot.

New Vegas was also a huge pain in the rear end if you have any completionist tendencies, which I do. The fact that the story branched so hard and whole option trees were cut off depending on the choices you made rendered it a game I think I played through twice, and couldn't be arsed to start yet another playthrough to try to get all the content I missed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also I never "got Planescape Torment". It was frequently cited as the best RPG of all-time (it was to WRPGs to what Chrono Trigger was to JRPGs). I stopped playing it after two hours because it was boring and the simple act of saying "hello" was like reading a book.

You aren't alone there, and just be happy you didn't go far enough into it to really bother having to learn about the combat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

new vegas popularity was a slow burn. it helped when they fixed all the bugs, and all the the DLCs were quite good. they really fleshed out the game. most of fallout 3s DLC were trash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think the good DLC helped it's rep a lot for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's an unpopular game opinion. Loot boxes don't matter. If you think it's an epidemic in video games, you have completely trash tier taste in games and should seek out some better ones because they aren't in good games. At worst a few decent games have totally ignorable microtransactions. If the issue is not you yourself, and your kid is blowing money on them, be a better parent. Don't give your dumb kid your credit card number. This isn't something that needs to be legislated. Just have some self control and play better games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Here's an unpopular game opinion. Loot boxes don't matter. If you think it's an epidemic in video games, you have completely trash tier taste in games and should seek out some better ones because they aren't in good games. At worst a few decent games have totally ignorable microtransactions. If the issue is not you yourself, and your kid is blowing money on them, be a better parent. Don't give your dumb kid your credit card number. This isn't something that needs to be legislated. Just have some self control and play better games.
:goonsay:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Shut the undying horseshit moron fucker up

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

With few exceptions DLC additions suck rear end. Most of the time its stuff that should have been in said game to begin with. And if not, then instead of putting your resources to add 10% more content to an existing game and charge 33% of its total price, just work on the sequel for the game instead.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this opinion isn't really about games

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DLCs are fine when they are genuine expansions, since you can't expect a company to keep working on the same game for addtional years without extra compensation. But for every one like that there are fifty DLCs of the Paradox "we finally made unit models that don't look like complete garbage, pls pay $20 to unlock" variety.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed

Also, just don’t get diabetes, you idiots

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rutibex posted:

new vegas popularity was a slow burn. it helped when they fixed all the bugs, and all the the DLCs were quite good. they really fleshed out the game. most of fallout 3s DLC were trash

So were most of NV’s. Old world blues was the only good DLC.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fruit on the bottom posted:

This, but the exact opposite.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad we can all agree that FO4 is bad and 76 will probably be bad too.

*looks at thread title* wait, poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

fruit on the bottom posted:

I really liked "The Pitt". :shrug:

E: Yes, I am aware that was for FO3.