Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

pokeyman posted:

Lots of bugs

You are a cool dude and I really appreciate your effort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah it’s really appreciated, you can see how big a task it adds up to when you lay it out like that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

We do not envy you, but we do appreciate you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thanks team. This thread is usually just about bugs, which is entirely fair! But it’s nice to remember that despite all the work left to do, it’s still a useful app a lot of the time.

tyler posted:

Can you please add an option in settings to turn off auto timg?

It’s on my list!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah excellent work, Pokey.

I was thinking - should I update those private message icons? I don't really PM so have barely used the feature but they look quite dated at the moment.

What are the states that currently exist for PM's? Unread, read, replied?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you submit an empty post, the message in the error dialog is correct, but the title is the image submit thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah pokeyman, you're amazing. :)

I'll try to get back in to fixing some bugs soon, but like a dummy I installed all the Apple betas and now Crashlytics something derails the build. Once I figure that and others out I'll browse the bug list again.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Swiping left on a Safari View Controller doesn’t dismiss it on the new iOS 12 beta

This happens in all the other apps I’ve tried it in so it’s not Awful, but just a heads up if anyone else has noticed it and was going to post about it

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

tyler posted:

Can you please add an option in settings to turn off auto timg?

It's on The List

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is the fully dark OLED theme still off the table?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

pokeyman posted:

It’s on my list!

I love you

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When I hit Preview for a post, instead of letting me post...it reloads the same screen. So 80% of the time I can't post!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So what's the problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

withak posted:

So what's the problem.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

withak posted:

So what's the problem.

The other 20%

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Pretty nice self-burn :golfclap:

I’m having trouble playing twitter videos or gifs while in the awful app. As in pressing play doesn’t do anything at all and I have to click the date to open the tweet in Twitter in order to watch anything.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

I’m having trouble playing twitter videos or gifs while in the awful app. As in pressing play doesn’t do anything at all and I have to click the date to open the tweet in Twitter in order to watch anything.

I’ve noticed this too. Figured it was just me.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

boop the snoot posted:

Same for me FYI

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Might be time to update the Twitter js again...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I was getting image upload errors trying to make any posts last night, which I thought might have been because I had included a tweet, but just making a text-only post with no bbcode tags threw the same error. Might be because I'm on 11.4.1 public beta 3, but now it seems to be working? :iiam:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Speaking of Twitter, I’ve also noticed that if there are a lot of twitter posts on a single page, sometimes the twitter background won’t render and I will just get the text.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

anthonypants posted:

I was getting image upload errors trying to make any posts last night, which I thought might have been because I had included a tweet, but just making a text-only post with no bbcode tags threw the same error. Might be because I'm on 11.4.1 public beta 3, but now it seems to be working? :iiam:

The forums broke last night.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Coq au Nandos posted:

The forums broke last night.
:ms:

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

ratbert90 posted:

Speaking of Twitter, I’ve also noticed that if there are a lot of twitter posts on a single page, sometimes the twitter background won’t render and I will just get the text.

Same here. I noticed it in the trump thread which is like 75-90% twitter posts. It would do it intermittently in the past like when a page didn’t load due to a bad connection or something. But now it seems to be the norm.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

catspleen posted:

Same here. I noticed it in the trump thread which is like 75-90% twitter posts. It would do it intermittently in the past like when a page didn’t load due to a bad connection or something. But now it seems to be the norm.

That’s were I notice it as well.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've been reading some threads with long effort posts and a nice feature would be able to mark a thread as read up to a certain post.

Example, say I'm on page 459 of a thread halfway through there's a huge post next but I don't have time to read it at the time. Next time I load the page I'm seeing page 460 and if I remember to go back to 459 now I have to scroll to wherever I was and the background is blue

Small issue and edge case maybe but my 2 cents! Thanks for all the great work - app is brilliant

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tap the big "•••" in the bottom right corner of a post in the app and select "Mark Read" to set that post as your last-read post in the thread. There's some awkward edge cases like needing to go back a page to mark the entirety of the following page as unread, but it works as you're describing.

Turns out this isn't even a feature unique to the Awful app -- you can actually even do this on the website version of the forums, however you have to enable some default-off option in your user settings. (This will reveal a little page icon in the bottom-left of each post on the website forums, which when clicked does the same thing as the "Mark Read" button here in the app!)

p.s. I'm also getting embedded tweet wonkiness
p. p.s. I still appreciate the app too!

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I've been reading some threads with long effort posts and a nice feature would be able to mark a thread as read up to a certain post.

Example, say I'm on page 459 of a thread halfway through there's a huge post next but I don't have time to read it at the time. Next time I load the page I'm seeing page 460 and if I remember to go back to 459 now I have to scroll to wherever I was and the background is blue

Small issue and edge case maybe but my 2 cents! Thanks for all the great work - app is brilliant

Tap on the three dots in the lower right corner of a post and tap "mark read."

E:fb

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jigsaw posted:

Tap on the three dots in the lower right corner of a post and tap "mark read."

E:fb

Well I'll be

Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Fascinating dev chat: UIWebView is finally deprecated in iOS 12 so it's time to finish moving to WKWebView for all our rendering needs. The missing piece of the puzzle was custom URLProtocol support, which came to WKWebView in iOS 11. We use custom protocols to: show uploaded images in post preview; give images hosted on Minus and Waffleimages a better chance to work; and load theme images (e.g. the loading screen for Macinyos). So the question is, how much work do we want to do to maintain the experience for people on iOS 9 and 10? Or should we leave them behind, at which point we might as well just jump all the way to iOS 12 (since it has the same list of supported devices)?

I think breaking the Minus and Waffleimages workarounds (if they even do anything) is an acceptable tradeoff, but we'll need to fix the post preview and theme assets.

Or maybe we just bump the minimum requirement up? I feel like trading Minus and Waffleimages support for continuing to get updates is a good trade for all y'all still rocking an iPhone 4s, iPad 2/3, iPad mini 1 or iPod touch 5. But I could be wrong!

spanky the dolphin posted:

Yeah excellent work, Pokey.

I was thinking - should I update those private message icons? I don't really PM so have barely used the feature but they look quite dated at the moment.

What are the states that currently exist for PM's? Unread, read, replied?

There's also "forwarded". I stole them from the site proper, assuming that people would know what they meant in that case (if they know at all), but I'm open to new icons.

kimbo305 posted:

If you submit an empty post, the message in the error dialog is correct, but the title is the image submit thing.

Hehe whoops! I have a note to change that screen to do something smarter on an empty post (which probably means turning off the button when the text is empty), but at a minimum we could get the error right :v:

101 posted:

Is the fully dark OLED theme still off the table?

I'm not sure it ever was off the table? But if someone tried and gave up because of the goofy theme system then I wouldn't blame them. For my vote it's worth doing, just a low priority (for me at least, since I have no relevant displays).

Golden Bee posted:

When I hit Preview for a post, instead of letting me post...it reloads the same screen. So 80% of the time I can't post!

This is a big one, it's on the list.

boop the snoot posted:

Same here. Definitely annoying.

carry on then posted:

My first thought too.

ratbert90 posted:

I can't figure out if this is a quantity issue or if it happens when one of the tweets on the page has been deleted.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Bump the minimum requirement for real. Also any word on the extra space at the front when you paste an image URL?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do we have any data on how many people are still stuck on those ancient devices?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

carry on then posted:

We switched to the version recommended by the twitter api of injecting the latest twitter.js and ours didn't break. Not sure if that's something the apple app store release people allow.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

virinvictus posted:

I’ve noticed this too. Figured it was just me.

This is likely due to twitter's engineering staff being comprised entirely of incurious dullards with nowhere else to go since all the smart ones decided to leave the unprofitable nazi platform

So no not just you

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Came in here to post about probs with Twitter gifs/vids loading - looks like that’s already been covered.

Awful app is the only way I browse SA anymore and I think it’s awesome. Thank you.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I’m on Public Beta 1 of iOS 12 and this may be related to what you were talking about in the beginning of your last post Pokey.

My app settings are to open twitter links in the twitter app and use the Awful app as my browser for other links. Everything opens in safari.

I say leave people who don’t upgrade in the past. iOS 12 is supported on the 5S forward and that thing came out like 5 years ago.

tanky
Mar 21, 2010
Bumping the min requirement to 12 would be convenient, but maybe too aggressive. iOS 11 adoption has been real slow, iPhone 5 is still fairly common, and we'd lose the long tail of people's old iPads. Unless iOS 12 goes gangbusters from the start or our userbase is way ahead of the adoption curve, it'd probably make sense to do the bare minimum work to keep those updating (I like the idea of just fixing preview/theme).

What kind of analytics do we have? I didn't see hw.machine being logged, but percentage on iOS 10.3.3 from connect or crashlytics might be a useful proxy for device breakdown.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Make a new paid version for iOS 12 and cut the taxman in

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any chance you could make posts from ignored users smaller? I know currently it's displaying a link to show the ignored post but maybe you could word it so it only takes up a line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any chance you could make posts from ignored users smaller? I know currently it's displaying a link to show the ignored post but maybe you could word it so it only takes up a line?

Replace it with tiny text that says "you blocked this oval office for a reason".