Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

If you count as typhon, in a pinch you can also use the dart gun to get through (some) barriers. Walk far enough from the detector that it loses you and aim for the disable button inside the doorway. This is easier said than done because the dart arcs a lot at that distance. Once you land a hit, you need to get inside very, very quickly – I'm not sure it's even possible without the propulsion system's dodge ability. And don't start moving before the dart actually hits the button! If you get in range too early, the barrier will go up and stop the dart.

The way I figured this out was getting permanently stuck in level geometry in the tunnel to crater rescue pods, having to suicide and then not finding any relevant tools with my next character (because I cleaned house with the previous one). :eng99: It took 8 darts to finally get in, but I love that the game let me do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Speedball posted:

I know you can use an EMP on the detector but last time I tried to use a Disruptor Gun on one it had no effect.

Shoot the screen that tells you how many typhon are nearby, not the detector antennas or the force field projectors.

WaltherFeng posted:

I have no idea what this game is except you kill aliens and its a spiritual successor to a bunch games I havent played either.

But I really want to experience something fresh and unique on my summer vacation.

Last fps I played was Deus Ex: HR and I very much enjoyed it for its stealth gameplay and cyborg powers

You should play this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

You have to target the antenna / console

Got it to work, thanks. Yeah, that makes those forcefields much easier to deal with. Nice idea in theory, Riley Yu, but the typhon don't seem to give a crap about them so why should I?

The further I get the more dangerous the simulation gets. I've figured out how to restore power to unpowered areas (failing that I could upgrade Vijay to be able to force open unpowered doors with his fists), is there a way to clean out biohazards like radiation, fire or oxygen loss?

I appreciate that Mooncrash gives you even more of a reason to use the Corpse-Finding Security thingy than the base game, since various corpses could have keycards and the locked doors tell you who last had the keycard.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fire and electricity you can gloo and radiation cans you have to lob recycle charges at. Not really worth the time and resources to do either tbh. Go around or sprint through.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fire and electricity you can gloo and radiation cans you have to lob recycle charges at. Not really worth the time and resources to do either tbh. Go around or sprint through.

ah, local solutions, I was hoping there was a big mainframe with a "make fire go out" written on a big switch.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

ah, local solutions, I was hoping there was a big mainframe with a "make fire go out" written on a big switch.
It'd be kind of neat if you could purge the oxygen and trade fires for no air, but other than that, no, there's no way to deal with the dangers in a larger sense. They're not too hard to work around though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus. The story missions in Mooncrash were an unexpected level of emotional intensity. And the engineer was burying her wrench in a guy's fave before she even knew for sure what had happened. Yowza.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hi, I played the Trial version and liked how you could take pretty much anything not nailed to the floor.

Should I enable the Survival mode? I played Trial on Hard and it was manageable. I died often but coming up with strategies after dying was fun

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you thought hard was manageable then you'll probably enjoy it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Survival mode in the main game doesn’t really add much of anything, unfortunately. Traumas were designed for the DLC and they’re plentiful there. For whatever reason, it takes an extraordinary amount of damage to sustain a trauma in the main game. You might break a leg from a fall or a concussion from an explosive hazard, but they don’t factor much and unlike Mooncrash, medical operators are plentiful.

It’d be cool if the campaign got a balance tuneup at some point but we may just have to hope someone makes a good mod.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm having graphical glitches with Mooncrash. The guns take a bit of time to pop up while swapping to them (for example, the pistol is invisible but you can see the bullet for a second). Same with the PDA thingy. Is anyone having the same problem?

Anyway, I've enjoyed the game so far, although the only run I've done with purchasable loops has been very easy. I'll probably have to go through some self imposed challenges, like "manually raise the Corruption level with each character once".

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having graphical glitches with Mooncrash. The guns take a bit of time to pop up while swapping to them (for example, the pistol is invisible but you can see the bullet for a second). Same with the PDA thingy. Is anyone having the same problem?

I was getting glitches exactly like that, but I'm assuming it was due to my cpu overheating. Base game would just occasionally slow to a crawl fps wise, while MC would get graphically glitchy just like that, at first, then later would stop loading in textures and models properly, when it got really hot I assume. After fixing my cooling problem, it's stopped happening. Probably not what your dealing with, but hey, you never know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speedball posted:

Jesus. The story missions in Mooncrash were an unexpected level of emotional intensity. And the engineer was burying her wrench in a guy's fave before she even knew for sure what had happened. Yowza.

I love how the animation for when she places her hand down for leverage is that weird little two-finger touch thing you do when you really want to avoid touching something gross any more than you have to :allears:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I didn't even realize the DLC release coincided with NG+ being added. Why aren't they marketing that more as well? It's half the reason I kept the game after I was done loving about with various runs hoping they'd add it. :psyduck:

It's so much fun going back through with all the powers. Hacking and mimicing into places that were annoying to get into is so goddamn carthartic. :allears: Then there's lobbing explosives into the lobby offices and nuking all the mimics inside instead of chasing them around with a wrench. :unsmigghh:

On the flipside, having to recomplete the game again was a exercise in amusement. Last save I had I was mid-saving everyone, which swiftly turned into kill-everyone-ASAP run so I could unlock NG+.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Just beat Mooncrash. Totally saw that ending coming but didn't fully expect what happened in the post credits scene.

The Psyblade is real strong, and your best friend. You can completely dunk on the Moonshark hard with it. The 100% guaranteed gold quality Psyblade in the labs is real strong although I've had greater success with some random Psyblades with near instant charging.

The time loop hourglasses need a serious nerf. I like the idea of diminishing returns. Or maybe have the hourglass fab mod have a limited run license that can be reset if you reset the sim

The Mule could also use a reduction in inventory space. Being able to transfer all that is really broken.

I'm hoping to see more developments for Mooncrash! It was a fantastic idea.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Survival mode in the main game doesn’t really add much of anything, unfortunately. Traumas were designed for the DLC and they’re plentiful there. For whatever reason, it takes an extraordinary amount of damage to sustain a trauma in the main game. You might break a leg from a fall or a concussion from an explosive hazard, but they don’t factor much and unlike Mooncrash, medical operators are plentiful.

It’d be cool if the campaign got a balance tuneup at some point but we may just have to hope someone makes a good mod.

ToxicFrog posted:

E: I was wishing for something to make it a lot harder for purposes of New Game + and found this, which looks like exactly what I want! I don't know how the "adds trauma back into the game" stuff interacts with the latest update's Survival Mode, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’d rather not have to deal with what some modder considers to be “hardcore inventory management”

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’d rather not have to deal with what some modder considers to be “hardcore inventory management”

Based on the description, what it means in practice is:
- max stack sizes for some things reduced, so you can no longer just infinitely stack medical supplies and food from the lobby and be good to go for the rest of the game;
- Typhon no longer drop guns and ammo;
- Most random loot has been replaced with equivalent single-use fabrication licences, so you need to be a lot more careful about what you spend your raw materials on and running out of ammo is now a legitimate concern past the first five minutes.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but it looks like it might be fun, especially after completely steamrolling Nightmare without NG+ advantages. It definitely looks a lot more interesting than just cranking up enemy damage/health/spawn rates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I love how the animation for when she places her hand down for leverage is that weird little two-finger touch thing you do when you really want to avoid touching something gross any more than you have to :allears:

Yeah, all the memory fragments have pretty great openings. Vijay's is "whuh...how much did I drink last night?" And Claire's is godddamn ruthless. I knew from Vijay's mission she was killing a lot of dudes in that room but the way she's casually checking her email when impaling a guy through the throat with her psyblade...yeesh.

I still have yet to actually unlock Riley Yu's mission because her basic escape has so many objectives already, plus she's cursed for me, she keeps dying. Maybe I need to sneak more as her, put those subversive powers to better use.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

My Prey trip report, Day 1, Tuesday

Met some Mimics. These guys are really hard to hit. Preemptive stun gun or Gloo cannon is a must at this point.

Love the electronic soundtrack. This is very much my poo poo. The opening intro song was awesome.

Phantom I encountered was strong but didnt seem to do anything beyond shoot orbs from its chest. Grabbed a turret and blasted it to pieces.

I feel like I'm back at my old job because I'm making sure this space station is tidy and neat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I feel like I'm back at my old job because I'm making sure this space station is tidy and neat.

Wait till you get recycler charges. They're grenades that turn clutter into little piles of resources in cube form!

I was kind of mad that the Prey DLC for Fallout 4 was just Morgan's suit and not recycler charges, because in a game where everything can be reduced to its base components, a recycler charge is a no-brainer.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Rileys mission is the easiest of the lot. Just remember to bring extra control units unless you wanna go harvester hunting or short power for half the moon base.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Love the electronic soundtrack. This is very much my poo poo. The opening intro song was awesome.

That song is called "Everything Is Going To Be Okay" it really isn't and it's the best track in the game, IMO.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

Rileys mission is the easiest of the lot. Just remember to bring extra control units unless you wanna go harvester hunting or short power for half the moon base.
The volunteer’s is the easiest since everything except corrupted operators is non-hostile

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair, but he has the hardest escape option to unlock his story.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The volunteer’s is the easiest since everything except corrupted operators is non-hostile

I kept getting hosed by this.

First I was instamurdered on corruption level 1 by a telepath throwing me into a ceiling on my way to the start.

Then some of those rolly cyst things blowing themselves up counted as me killing them and I got called a bad papa by something purporting to be my son.

And I think there were two other game overs which I swear weren't my fault.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah I remember that story being rough but I might have just been careless with getting to it and got hemorrhagic and radded.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Except that any Typhon dying in ways that are remotely attributable to you will insta-fail the mission, and Cystoids exploding at your feet or chasing after something you dropped count, and there's a shitload of Cystoids in it.

gently caress that mission, it took me more attempts than any other goal in Mooncrash including "escape with all five characters in one run".

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

ToxicFrog posted:

Except that any Typhon dying in ways that are remotely attributable to you will insta-fail the mission, and Cystoids exploding at your feet or chasing after something you dropped count, and there's a shitload of Cystoids in it.

gently caress that mission, it took me more attempts than any other goal in Mooncrash including "escape with all five characters in one run".

That's soo strange. I some Cystoids pop at my feet. After level transitioning my not-son told me not to harm any other Typhon but I didn't die or anything. Something must have bugged out.

His story ending is very lol though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report, Day 1, appendix

Cleared most of the lobby with turrets. Had a lot of trouble with the man on fire in the trauma ward but after almost giving up, he walked over 3 perfectly placed canisters that blew him up.

Dipped my toes in the engineering section and the game is starting to give me more passcodes and hints than I can keep track of. Lots of rooms to explore.

Still not sure whats the best way to fight phantoms but Ive had success in glooing them, couple wrenches and finishing them off with a pistol.

Took the throw and dismantling neuromods since they seem useful. Also stealth, repair and combat focus.

My inventory is full but Im trying to avoid going back and forth between recyclers cause thats a bit lame and takes time.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

WaltherFeng posted:

Dipped my toes in the engineering section and the game is starting to give me more passcodes and hints than I can keep track of. Lots of rooms to explore.

My inventory is full but Im trying to avoid going back and forth between recyclers cause thats a bit lame and takes time.

almost all of the passcodes you get (i.e. via notes, emails, audio logs, communications) will show up on the relevant keypad or computer login screen so you shouldn't have to remember them. there is one really neat exception that I know of (spoiler for cool little puzzle near the beginning): in the debriefing room in the neuromod division you may have noticed that there was a message "the safe code is: [erased numbers]". you can see the full message off to the side when you get your old video in your office debriefing you on the situation.

as for the second point, getting a couple inventory upgrades is one of the best uses of neuromods in the early game

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The engineer being the only character in Mooncrash with the inventory upgrades basically means that if you sit down for it and take a bit of time, you can loot literally everything and sprint through any other characters' runs wif you go through a new reset with her first, picking up and looting literally everything and melting it for raw materials.

Especially since the time loop just takes mineral/synth materials, which you'll have in spades if you melt all the useless green/blue weapons coming out of every box and enemy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Helpfully, your PDA keeps track of them for you and will even auto-enter them for you.

quote:

Still not sure whats the best way to fight phantoms but Ive had success in glooing them, couple wrenches and finishing them off with a pistol.

Gloo+wrench is a solid early-game tactic, yeah. You should be getting an electric stungun soon (if you don't have one already) and that is brutal, especially when upgraded, against pretty much everything including Phantoms. Later on the shotgun makes a good close-in weapon and the Q-beam a good long range one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, huh, the main weapon laboratory in Pytheas Labs is password-locked, but what’s more, the password is different each iteration of the simulation. It’s written down on a note somewhere but the note changes locations too. Tricky, guys.

I like how certain characters just automatically have the key or password to stuff they ought to. Like the Security chief of course knows the code to print out security operators.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i finally bought this game

can someone explain the mooncrash thing

also i heard they were gonna do a multiplayer thing at some point

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

eonwe posted:

Mooncrash is a DLC that's separate from the main game. It's a simulation where you get 5 characters that you gradually unlock as you play, each character has only one "life" but when you run out of characters the simulation resets and you start over. The main goal is to eventually escape with all 5 characters in a single run of the simulation, each one also has a storyline that you need to unlock and play through.

Multiplayer is happening at some point but we don't really have any details yet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SGDQ is going on right now and they have a bidwar to decide which of these operators gets added to mooncrash:

Had to make sure the pink one gets in :buddy:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

Mooncrash is a weird and mostly successful sort of FPS cross between a roguelite and a Metroidvania game. The game is a simulation within the game - you are a character playing a character in the Matrix, more or less. Every "run" through the simulation changes a couple of elements within the environment - in one run, the lab complex might be chock full of raging fires, in another there might be hard vacuum in which no sound carries and you leak oxygen when you've taken sufficient damage. An open door in one run could be busted shut in another and require special measures to open. The fast-travel transit at one facility may be running in one run and powered down in another. The escape pod bay with a way out in one game is empty in the next. And of course, the enemy variety changes.

You have five different characters with different skillsets. There are five different methods of escape from a moon base which gets progressively more dangerous as you spend time in it / complete objectives - after a certain amount of time is elapsed (if a special item that turns back the clock isn't used) the "corruption level" of the sim goes up, enemies respawn in tougher variations and in larger numbers. Work fast and smart.

The twist is: When you boot into the game with one of the five characters, you play with that character until they die or you find and use an escape route. When a character dies, they are dead until the simulation (the run) is reset. When an escape route is used, it is closed off until the simulation is reset. Each time the simulation is reset, the environmental hazard and enemy variety changes.

The most significant complication is that the characters are Lost Viking types - they each (well, two of them) have a niche that can't be filled by other characters. Find broken equipment or a blocked door? You clear it with the engineer. Already played with the engineer and died / escaped? That room's a no go this run, and even if they're yet to be played, whoever you are now isn't getting in there. Keypad you can't get past or a computer you need to get into? Passcodes exist for a slim few, but most require a hacker. The real bitch of it is that some of the escape routes, one in particular, require the right characters with the right skills to unlock gates to their use.

The good news is that when you complete objectives and bust alien heads, you gain Matrix funbucks. These funbucks can be used to buy gear for your next run, and they (as well as characters you unlock) carry over between simulation resets. If you've hosed yourself out of an escape route, at least one of your guys isn't making it off the moonbase alive. That's fine. Score as many funbucks as you like reset the sim, and try again.

There is a narrative to the game (your character hacking into the Matrix has a story) that progresses as you unlock characters and achieve specific goals for each of them, and every new milestone gives a morsel of plot and an additional complication to the simulation.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also, any disguised mimics you walk over still 'explode' in your face, damaging you.