Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

taiwan. i knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Interesting that the factory actually admitted to using the banned chemical. I figured they would pull a kid-on-video-pissing-in-elevator dad and deny they used it despite evidence clearly saying otherwise.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

feedmegin posted:

Wrongly, even. The US doesn't actually use the Imperial system, which was developed after US independence (check out the US vs UK definitions of a pint for example).

Yeah we use the 'standard' or 'proper' system of measurements in the US.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I thought crime didn't exist in China? http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2152311/police-shoot-chinese-man-dead-after-he-goes-fatal-rampage

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think you're confused with the gays

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this isn't crime. it's a civil disturbance

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Blistex posted:

I told everyone who would listen that the owner was about the do a runner, and 6 months later he took every cent he owned to run the Korean-only golf course he and a friend started in New Zealand.

Where's the golf course? I'll go rip up the grass in a golf cart for you :)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Imperialist Dog posted:

it's Hong Kong

And I put up that video because like gently caress am I giving rice bum clicks

Hong Kong belongs to China, outlander

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait a minute

The golf course in H.B? I might've snuck on there a few times after dark for, uh, personal reasons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Defecating on the greens, I hope?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How uncouth. You defecate in the hole, obviously.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

4 shot in Hong Kong's Quarry Bay Park by woman with handgun.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
China reunification terrorists?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

4 shot in Hong Kong's Quarry Bay Park by woman with handgun.

I saw that and I was really shocked.

Not too many details and I was thinking if it was an actual gun or airsoft.

Guess it is a gun, it’s been a while Hong Kong!

Last time a major gun related crime was around 10 years ago?

A solo police officer responded to a public housing disturbance and ended up dead.

A few days later there were a string of robberies of jewelry stores and convenient stores?

Basically the police force changed its patrol policy and response policy of having backup all the time.

So one night in this pedestrian tunnel a pair of cops saw this weirdo who happens to be cross dressing at 3am and tried to ask for his id.

With his left hand he pulled out a gun and tried to ambush the cops but he ended up dying.

Turns out said cross dressing rearranged all the mirrors in the tunnels and switched his grip to his left hand and wanted to murder the cops for more ammo and guns. And the perp’s weapon was the missing gun at public housing disturbance.

And the perp was a police officer full of gambling debt

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10/10 for many shocking twists.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
lol yeah, I thought each line was a separate crime at first.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

I saw that and I was really shocked.

Not too many details and I was thinking if it was an actual gun or airsoft.

Guess it is a gun, it’s been a while Hong Kong!

Last time a major gun related crime was around 10 years ago?

A solo police officer responded to a public housing disturbance and ended up dead.

A few days later there were a string of robberies of jewelry stores and convenient stores?

Basically the police force changed its patrol policy and response policy of having backup all the time.

So one night in this pedestrian tunnel a pair of cops saw this weirdo who happens to be cross dressing at 3am and tried to ask for his id.

With his left hand he pulled out a gun and tried to ambush the cops but he ended up dying.

Turns out said cross dressing rearranged all the mirrors in the tunnels and switched his grip to his left hand and wanted to murder the cops for more ammo and guns. And the perp’s weapon was the missing gun at public housing disturbance.

And the perp was a police officer full of gambling debt
Holy crap, I've heard bits of this before. Also thought they were 3 separate crimes as I've never been told the whole thing

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well I just googled 魔警, demon cop and found this guy’s profile

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsui_Po-ko

Once his id was discovered the defunct television station ATV replayed his 22 minutes of fame in who wants to be a millionaire. Classy.

So yeah, this guy robbed a Heng Seng bank in Tsuen Wan and Wikipedia even has a picture of the tunnels where the shoot out happened.

I used to walk by those tunnels at night after visiting my sister’s home and I used to scare my folks about feeling a ghostly presence and all.

So the shootout site has been covered up by the new Austin metro station but you still have lots of ghost stories lingering about.

And some people in HK are quite superstitious of mentioning his name so instead of Tsui Po Ko his nickname is 步步高 aka the Chinese electronics brand. Ambitious but trashy in the eyes of hongers and prestigious among mainlanders.

Well nowadays BBK owns oppo and all sorts of fancy android smart phones so it’s a good brand?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Considering all the HK movies I’ve seen I’m surprised by how tame the organized crime seems.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Man, I gotta watch the movie they made about that

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I’m in the sticks of Shenzhen and I see a tall white guy with glasses

Is it yiu haier

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
He looks goony as heck but I guess I’m wrong because haier lives along the border now

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haier isn’t white.

Pro PRC Laowai
Jun 14, 2018

Steakandchips posted:

Haier isn’t white.

What is he then, some kind of hapa?

I vaguely remember him mentioning his father lived in Thailand, and he was following in his footsteps by plunging all over Asia but I might be wrong

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

What is he then, some kind of hapa?

I vaguely remember him mentioning his father lived in Thailand, and he was following in his footsteps by plunging all over Asia but I might be wrong

I vaguely remember him being white/some native american mix but I have no idea what that's considered. Haier please post a paper bag with suitable complexion, tia.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Isn't Hong Kong considered far more civil than pretty much every mainland city?
I got that impression from the people there.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Had a Chinese guy on the tube today not let anyone past him because his two humongous suitcases being repositioned was more important than the entire carriage disembarking at Waterloo at rush hour.

Everyone gave him ample time to get out of the way of the exit and he still continued to futz around with his suitcases for absolutely ages, and I finally had enough and barged past him, clearing a path in my way.

What a colossal rear end in a top hat he was.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
hope you didn’t lose your monocle

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Haier is a noble First Nations man with over 5000 years of ancestral history but I think he said he often gets mistaken for a South East Asian

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have no sympathy for those that can't figure out how the metro works. Hey rear end in a top hat in the doorway, you can step off so I can get out and then get back on the train before the line waiting to alight. It's not loving rocket science.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
It's not that they can't figure out how it works. They just don't care. They only care about what they want and are going to do, anyone else can work around it. This is the attitude of everyone in the mainland and it's why being there is so incredibly frustrating.

A great example of this is umbrellas.

In the West, it's your job when holding an umbrella to raise and lower it as you walk in a crowded area to make sure the object you are holding doesn't just hit someone in the face. Your reward for this is that others are giving you the same courtesy and trying to make sure they don't umbrella your face.

In China it's the other way around: you get to hold your umbrella as you want and ignore everything around you, but if you ignore too hard then everyone else ignoring everything around them is going to hit you in the face with an umbrella sooner or later. I've personally witnessed tons of Chinese people just getting umbrellaed in the face, because–surprise–none of them are actually looking or thinking about what is going to happen when no one tries to avoid hitting others in the face.

Suitcase on train guy was just concerned with his own luggage. He was literally not thinking about others. Even when everyone was shoving at him or trying to get around, it didn't matter because it's not his job to predict what other people might want to do and act around it. In his mind, anyone can shove him if they need to get through bad enough. So shoving him was the absolute correct move.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or just yell at him to move his loving poo poo.

And if he doesn’t get the clue then second guy can kick his poo poo and knock it across. I’m sure he will learn fast enough.

I still remember driving in Vancouver and suddenly this car stopped in the middle of the intersection. I didn’t honk but I was confused why he stopped.

Turns out the driver got out of his car and moved this giant rock to the side of the road so cars didn’t have to swerve around it. I think from then on I realized that I can actually do something about things and not just stay in the car all the time.

I felt bad for thinking he was a nuisance.

So yeah metro manners is a developing thing. I have seen first hand over the years people developing some sort of etiquette.

Suitcase tourist was just acting like a tourist and being dumb like most tourists. Maybe jet lag, out of natural element, I dunno. Still a dumbass

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !
Speaking of laowai kicking suitcases, this happened a month ago in Taipei:

Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

quote:

On May 5 at around 5 p.m., a 44-year-old man surnamed Huang witnessed a foreign national at the Ximen MRT station wearing a baseball cap and tattoos on his arms kick the suitcase of a woman in her 60s that was in his path at the bottom of an escalator. Huang says that the man then cursed the woman in English.

Huang says that he then asked the man to apologize, but the man responded by saying "It's none of your business." When Huang asked him again, the man said "F**k you Chinese," and as he waited behind a large crowd of people to get on the next escalator down, he shouted "F**k all you Chinese" and thrust his middle finger at Huang.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3424798

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

senbe1 posted:

Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

which goon was it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
An important note here is that saying “gently caress you!” to someone in public in Taiwan is a crime.

Though a few years ago an Australian guy told his landlord “don’t fucken lie to me” during an argument about some landlord bullshit, the landlord took him to court, and the Aussie defended himself by saying he said “fucken” not “loving”; the court was unable to find “fucken” in the dictionary and the charges were dismissed.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Probably an especially heinous crime if youre a laowai.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Shanghai metro manners almost got me saying that tbh.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

senbe1 posted:

:lol: at having that kind of a meltdown about subway manners in Taiwan, which is basically babby’s first Chinar in terms of politeness and civility. Dude wouldn’t last a day the mainland.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm basically having a screaming meltdown inside my head every moment I'm outdoors now, but keeping it as contained as I can. 34 more days, I can make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Or just yell at him to move his loving poo poo.

And if he doesn’t get the clue then second guy can kick his poo poo and knock it across. I’m sure he will learn fast enough.

The truly American solution to rear end in a top hat suitcases is to "displace" one but not both of the suitcases in an arrangement of the utmost inconvenience: one on the train, one off the train.

senbe1 posted:

"Foreign", "baseball cap", "tattoos", "in English"...

And yet they still manage to toe the line in this dig at a foreigner:
"F**k all you Chinese"

Because Taiwan, Province of China isn't not China :china:

• Locked thread