Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ILL Machina posted:

You can get boxes of royal canine from chewy with shipping discounts or on Amazon and it's certainly not triple unless you were just getting the cheapest food possible before now. It obviously helps to consider it an investment in not having to do this anti blockage and flushing business over and over, if not a boost to their general well-being and life expectancy. Haven't tried that Purina one type.

I got their pricing while I was picking up her medicine. A 6 pound bag is $31 which is just insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I've had bad results with kidney sensitive medicinal dry food for what it's worth. It'll catch up to you in medical bills if you gamble with the cheap stuff. I try to rationalize it as a month of food for my cat that is like one expensive meal for me. I'm not sure there's anything better in terms of quality/value tradeoff, but I'd be curious to find one.

If you're going to be unable to buy more expensive cat food and you have the option, get girl cats, people. Boy cats will almost invariably have trouble with cheap dry food. I recommend purina beyond if you have to go dry for some reason and have cats without kidney trouble, but that's just regular food.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 26, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ILL Machina posted:

I've had bad results with kidney sensitive medicinal dry food for what it's worth. It'll catch up to you in medical bills if you gamble with the cheap stuff. I try to rationalize it as a month of food for my cat that is like one expensive meal for me. I'm not sure there's anything better in terms of quality/value tradeoff, but I'd be curious to find one.

If you're going to be unable to buy more expensive cat food and you have the option, get girl cats, people. Boy cats will almost invariably have trouble with cheap dry food. I recommend purina beyond if you have to go dry for some reason and have cats without kidney trouble, but that's just regular food.

It's our girl cat that's having the trouble ): Shithead is peeing and pooping in the boxes like a healthy 2 year old but she's the geriatric obese 8 year old with bladder problems

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

listrada posted:

Yes, this. I'd throw a little in the Good Person Fund for People Doing Good Things Even If It's Financially Difficult pot as long as you start keeping that good boy inside...

Same.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Len posted:

It's our girl cat that's having the trouble ): Shithead is peeing and pooping in the boxes like a healthy 2 year old but she's the geriatric obese 8 year old with bladder problems

Fukkkkkk

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Boy howdy if people are willing to help out the Fix MurderCat5000's Busted Jaw Foundation that would help me a lot.

All the money will go straight back to the small loan I had to take out to pay the vet with Zip Money. As I said im a broke rear end bartender and cant afford a loan on top of my living expenses.

Lxgrd /at/ fea /dot/ st is my email address for paypal.

Also i will pay to have him neutered when i go to have the wire removed from his jaw.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sent :20bux: your way for Murder Cat 5000! Thanks for taking care of him!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I also sent you twenty dollarydoos.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Also sent, thanks to whoever cross posted in the YOSPOS thread.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sent MC5000 :20bux: :20bux: which they converted into some sort of currency used by criminals or something?

Get well little duder.

EDIT: Also MC5000 is a cool DJ cat name.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 27, 2018

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sent $50, please keep MurderCat away from abuser, and thanks for going so far to help him. You loving rule.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
You people are loving amazing. Nearly $200 raised for MurderCat5k. Thanks so much i never even expected this

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Do you have to do anything special for Murder Cat 5000s meals since hes got the wired up face? Are you making him little smoothies or something?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I took care of my grandma's cat once after some dogs roughed him up and broke his jaw. Had to feed him wet food mixed with water while it healed and he had a kitty fentanyl patch that made him pretty groggy while it was on.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah we got given some wet food to feed him. No chewing for 2 weeks. Wire comes out in 6 weeks.

Here is this morning. Back to his normal annoying meowy, needy, purry self. Is able to clean himself a bit better now. Bounced back a lot quicker than i though. He managed to eat a can of the wet food overnight. He must have been loving starving.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Sent you :10bux: , I hope he recovers quick!!!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hi there my fellow cat-lovers... I know it's been a little while since I posted. My life has been in a sort of chaotic vortex of hell for about a month solid, now :( It's actually pretty shocking that I still have my cat (Jackie) whom I have probably talked about too much on here. Everyone was telling me I had to give her up, or I should give her up, etc. It's been an awful month,

It all started because I had to move out of my apartment somewhat suddenly, at about a month's notice. I wasn't evicted (I was actually happy the Landlord was OK breaking the lease) but I really did not like it there and it got to the point where I wasn't feeling safe because of neighbors, and I *had* to leave for various reasons and did so at the end of May a month ago.

And then it turned out to be a really really lovely situation because I hadn't found a new place in time and thankfully I had very very nice parents willing to put me up at a fairly cheap hotel (I was OK with anywhere that just didn't have a huge reputation on yelp for prostitution, drugs, and theft and were pet friendly) you can't really have high standards in a situation like that unless you're loving loaded and we are not.

But it was still incredibly loving awful to have to live at a hotel even for a few days and Jackie and I were both incredibly miserable and tense and we would both freak out at feeling so exposed in this weird place full of weird noises and paper thin walls so like everything going on in the hall sounds like it's happening in your drat room. NOT a comfy place, and this wasn't totally trashy it was just a howard johnson.

So anyway, hotels were loving miserable. The thing is, I have a 96-year-old grandmother whom I've always been on good terms with and she freaking lives *alone* - not only that, all my stuff had been moved into her garage for storage and there is even a room above the garage separated from the rest of the house where I could stay. This was, however, forbidden as a possibility by some people in the family who, despite not knowing me very well at and my mother (who is actually the one who takes care of her mother the most) being totally fine with it. It was a bad scene. I used to be a drug addict, and I'm currently 6 years clean - but my aunt actually believed despite this, and despite never having done a single violent thing to any living creature (well, my dad used to take me fishing and I've swatted my share of mosquitos) she decided I was a risk to be left alone with my grandmother, and I would physically hurt her somehow, which was so incredibly upsetting and awful... It was fine if my mother was there, though. She really was the one who suffered and got put in the middle. And this is just the half of it, really.

Anyway, so for a couple weeks I stayed at a hotel on the weekdays and at my grandmother's on the weekend with my mom... And this was awful and difficult because the hotels were so lonely and weird and Jackie would be SO miserable in the hotel room and I felt like the worst owner... It was compounded by my grandma's house being perfect for Jack - she gets to go outside when she wants, is the biggest thing, and has her own domain and is like blissfully happy to be able to roll in the grass if she wants to. So it felt beyond awful to have to force her into a cat carrier and take her away from that environment to be locked in a one-room hotel room with no view, Not fair at all to her, and furthermore it seemed like I might not really be able to find a cat-friendly place to move into and it can be especially tough in a roommate situation, so I and my family had been calling folks about giving Jackie away, either temporarily or for good.

And we found this woman who's a friend of my step-mother and lives a half-hour north, and the one cat she had was actually a *litter-mate* of Jackie's, and she was more than happy to take Jackie in permanently - and I'd still get photos and could go visit with her if I really wanted. Well, I figured that was WAY better than a shelter So, knowing she was so miserable at the hotel - not to mention she HATES driving and yowls and cries the entire time, plus the fact that my living options were NOT looking for the future and I might even have to sleep in my car eventually some nights or not be able to afford or find a decent pet friendly apartment and/or might have to find roommates or crash on couches in the future..... But anyway I was totally hosed up and distraught as hell over this - I had lost my home, lost a good bit of dignity, and now I was also losing my cat - other awful things were also happening at this time I'd rather not get into as this post is long enough already.

But the prospect of having to just.. give up Jackie, my cat who I freaking LOVE and promised a thousand times to never abandon... I don't know how many times I cried I kept getting it together then I'd lose it and cry for another - and this was the day before I was meant to give her up. And everyone was telling me it was the right thing to do and I had to do it and I DESPERATELY did not want to give her up... Well, a bit of a miracle occurred and my aunt saw reason and let me stay with my grandmother (who again is 96 and lives alone with just extra help (not enough), She has dementia and if you keep bringing up the same kind of thing she will keep saying the same thing every 5 minutes at times, but she;s still totally lucid and sharp. I get along really well with her, actually, and she likes me! We both like playing cards and watching old TV - Twilight Zone, Perry Mason...

But anyway I was so thrilled because I heard this the day before I was about to give up Jackie, and this *at least* meant that I could keep her in the short tern while I stayed with my grandma, because as I said Jackie *loves* being there. Can't tell you how relieved I was! Crazily enough, about a week and a half after that my grandmother fell (probably) trying to get out of bed in the morning, and she gashed her head on the side of her dresser and broke her ankle in the fall. Of course, she was not wearing her necklace with the emergency button and just went back to sleep bleeding onto the pillow - and as my room is separate from the house above the garage, well.. The good thing is that I periodically check on her every morning and make sure she is OK and on her schedule and I very quickly saw her and called in the ambulance and my mother and so on even though she of course was insisting she was fine and her ankle was just bruised and all that but... well, my aunt realized it ultimately was a VERY good thing I was there because nobody would have come till the next morning and god knows if she would have even mentioned it... But a broken ankle is SERIOUS poo poo when you are 96, and she's been at a hospital and now rehab facility and likely won't be home till the end of July?

And the other good news is I found two fellas who are buddies of mine (they're actually a couple) and the three of us are going to all find a nice 2BR apartment together, and I'm psyched because they're dorky queer guys who like cats and video games, a bit like me. We've also all lived together in close quarters for a week and got along great so we know we can live with one another which is reassuring, And one of them also has a cat so it WILL be cat friendly... I just have to be careful about introducing him.... their cat is an older female like Jackie. We're gonna start exchanging scented blankets/cat beds or whatever in advance of the move. Or is that a bad idea? I figure, get a head start.

Oh god I am sooo sorry for the length of this post. I just wanted to get it out. I've had so much intense stress and anxiety about losing Jackie all month and it has been so awful. It's really nice to see her so happy - going outside again and getting to roam free. And she purrs more and smiles more and cuddles more and is more playful and lively and cute now. It is SO adorable - and it makes me so, so goddamn happy that I did not go through with giving her away,

So um, yeah. Thanks for reading if you stuck with this and sorry for going on. I just... came very very close to making what would have been an awful mistake and it still makes me scared.
PS Please excuse any punctuation or grammatical errors or forgotten prepositions or nouns or incomplete sentences....

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

kaworu posted:

Oh god I am sooo sorry for the length of this post. I just wanted to get it out. I've had so much intense stress and anxiety about losing Jackie all month and it has been so awful. It's really nice to see her so happy - going outside again and getting to roam free. And she purrs more and smiles more and cuddles more and is more playful and lively and cute now. It is SO adorable - and it makes me so, so goddamn happy that I did not go through with giving her away,

So um, yeah. Thanks for reading if you stuck with this and sorry for going on. I just... came very very close to making what would have been an awful mistake and it still makes me scared.
PS Please excuse any punctuation or grammatical errors or forgotten prepositions or nouns or incomplete sentences....

I'm glad you got to keep her! Having Terry around has been a big factor in my life getting better; it was super stressful not seeing him for a year while my mom was taking care of him out-of-state. And he's happy in my new place too.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Given that your cat is pretty much for all intents and purposes your support animal, for your own mental health I'd put a priority on keeping her (even in a poo poo hotel unit temporarily) unless it literally was a crisis choice between putting her down or rehoming her. I'm glad that you have found a situation where you can keep her, and it's in an environment you're much happier with.

Your posts do all read like livejournal entries though.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
15 American Dollars sent to the Fix MC5000's face fund! Hoping for a quick recovery! :catdrugs:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Man thankyou all so much. 500 cat dollars raised so far. When i took out the loan for the vet i didnt even consider charity i just kind of accepted i was gonna be stuck witb a lovely loan for while. You guys are so rad.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
Sent you a few :10bux: for Murder Cat! Hope your kitty heals up fast!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Your posts do all read like livejournal entries though.

I know. It's goddamn embarrassing as hell and I try to avoid it but my life has been a bad livejournal entry, more or less.

I was too busy manically going through everything that happened to properly dwell on how awful the situation felt. It is... really scary to feel totally boxed-in, on the verge of homelessness, alone most of the time but for your cat, living at a sketchy motel... and then to hear that people you had trusted in your family view you as someone who would proactively hurt their own 96-year-old grandmother. I am not used to being viewed as a bad or dangerous in person in any way, and never have been. I've never been in trouble with the law or done awful things. After losing my home and a lot of dignity and self-respect, it's difficult to explain how much something like that hurts - even though she changed her mind and come to her senses a week later, it was not fun..

And to then hear from the people closest to me that I had to give up my cat because it wasn't fair to put her through all this and I couldn't exactly guarantee a future for her at that time? The timing of it was what felt so awful. That I'd gone from living in a home surrounded by my own possessions to being in a hotel room and possibly having to give up - like you said - essentially my support animal who has been at my side unfailingly for over 8 years? It felt... beyond scary and awful. It's even scarier that I was hours away from going through with it.

I am hugely thankful my situation improved, though - I can't even really express quite how lucky I feel to still have my cat right next to me even as I type this.. I can barely imagine not just how awful I'd feel for giving her up but just how much lower my quality of life would be without her around. It'd be really tough just falling asleep without her, you get really used to that stuff.

But it's funny, because ultimately I've found it extremely motivating. There are many reasons why I want to continue to improve the quality of my life in many ways, and one of those is so that I *never* find myself in a situation where I may have to consider giving Jackie up for *any* reason whatsoever. It really gives me a real... reason to create security. I may have issues respecting myself and acting in my own best interests at times for one mental health related reason or another, but that does not extent to my cat whom I *do* respect and *do* care deeply in acting her best interests, at least. I know it may sound slightly perverse and odd, but it's almost a way to trick myself into finding motivation for improving my own life.

I don't talk about it often, but I think that personally I'm a great (and complex) example on just how therapeutic having adopted a cat can be for people with mental health problems - or people in prison, as well. This article has probably been posted or cited before -- Cats are the Unsung Heroes of Mental Health and the author makes a lot of good points about why cats especially are so well suited, moreso even than dogs who more often used for mental health therapy. Or who knows - maybe because I'm also a sexual abuse survivor with PTSD just like the author of the article, my experiences just confirm closely with hers in terms of my needs.

Regardless, with what I've lost in the past month (and I've not told the complete story at all here sadly) the worst part by far was just *almost* losing my cat. That terrified me more than something like going to jail, even.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

kaworu posted:

But it's funny, because ultimately I've found it extremely motivating. There are many reasons why I want to continue to improve the quality of my life in many ways, and one of those is so that I *never* find myself in a situation where I may have to consider giving Jackie up for *any* reason whatsoever. It really gives me a real... reason to create security.

This is awesome. Good for you, and good for Jackie :3:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Man, 700 cat dollars wtf

Thankyou guys so much

Here is proof i havent squandered the money on :catdrugs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay but if its completely covered then the excess HAS to go to :catdrugs:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We accept payment in cat pictures.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Recognizing that cat breath is A Thing, is there one weird trick for checking a cat's mouth or helping their teeth stay clean? I'm seeing spotting that may just be gumline spotting that lots of cats get as they mature, but I don't want it to be tooth decay because hoooo boy I do not need my cat racking up dentist bills right now.

MikeJF posted:

We accept payment in cat pictures.

Heard.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Gums should be a healthy pink, not red or white. Some kitties have black pigmented gums and as far as I know that's okay. Basically you have to push their lips back to get a look, which means you might need to purrito that cat.

Kitty breath shouldn't be actively offensive. You shouldn't smell it with their mouths closed either. If there's a smell from your cat's face zone that is disgusting or makes you turn your face away or push the cat away, kitty needs to go to the vet because she's got some sort of infection or something going on.

Some people can brush their cats' teeth with cat toothpastebut godspeed ya if you try with an ornery adult. I don't think the kibbles or dental treats do poo poo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It's only gross when she yawns straight in my face. Its a fishy smell, mostly, but not the necrosis characteristic of infections or periodontal disease (my dad's a former dental phobe, so i know what perio smells like). She eats voraciously and without apparent discomfort, and 15 minutes of Fishing Rod Mousey rendered her pliant enough I was able to peel back her lips a bit and there was some surface plaque but nothing red, white, or bleeding.

She's two years old and has never brushed her teeth afaik, so I guess she's entitled to a little stinkyness

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Probably okay! Her vet should check her teeth during her checkups, so if there's no stank or blood or discoloration she's probably fine for now.

More pics tho.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Some people can brush their cats' teeth with cat toothpastebut godspeed ya if you try with an ornery adult. I don't think the kibbles or dental treats do poo poo.

Correlation != Causation but I've got a cat whose diet is at least half t/d (because she really likes it) and her teeth are very clean. Of course, clean teeth still don't prevent feline oral reabsorption lesions so who can really say if it does much good. Her mouth doesn't stink at least.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

After almost rolling over my cat in my computer chair several times, I've resorted to stretching packaging tape between all the spindles of the base. Cat touched the sticky side a couple times and has backed off. Hopefully this results in me being able to remove it at some point in the future.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

IronDoge posted:

After almost rolling over my cat in my computer chair several times, I've resorted to stretching packaging tape between all the spindles of the base. Cat touched the sticky side a couple times and has backed off. Hopefully this results in me being able to remove it at some point in the future.

Tape is a pretty good idea!

I had a similar problem. I ended up putting a basket between the chair spindles. Cats can't resist baskets, so if he's going to sit under the chair he sits in that. If I scoot the chair back, I bump his basket and not him.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

It's only gross when she yawns straight in my face. Its a fishy smell, mostly, but not the necrosis characteristic of infections or periodontal disease (my dad's a former dental phobe, so i know what perio smells like). She eats voraciously and without apparent discomfort, and 15 minutes of Fishing Rod Mousey rendered her pliant enough I was able to peel back her lips a bit and there was some surface plaque but nothing red, white, or bleeding.

She's two years old and has never brushed her teeth afaik, so I guess she's entitled to a little stinkyness

In the immortal words of Ralph Wiggum, "My cat's breath smells like cat-food :downs:" I don't think you need to worry about it.

One thing that IS important for new cat owners to know, entirely aside from brushing teeth which is something you should do now and again... I would also recommend that those of you who (like me) keep their cats on a diet of strictly wet food for the most part find a way to periodically feed your cat dental treats. Frankly, they don't even need to be like, SPECIAL DENTAL TREATS, just make some there is some regular weekly element of your cats diet that causes them to eat some crunchy stuff, If Kitty eats nothing but wet food for like 5 years straight or something (especially if her teeth are never clean) she will have all sorts of dental problems just from years of not really using their teeth.

Cats are used to ripping and tearing apart meat with their teeth - that's what evolution designed them for, really. So they need to be putting some stress on them periodically to keep them healthy. Incidentally, this is YET ANOTHER reason why it'a really important to take half an hour every day and just PLAY with your kitty (for at least 15 minutes or even 5 minutes if you are having the worst day ever or something but it's so important to do it every day). And even if your cat isn't in a playful mood, give her your undivided attention. A lot of cats are so much more sensitively and affected by our emotions from them being so tuned in to you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lareine posted:

Correlation != Causation but I've got a cat whose diet is at least half t/d (because she really likes it) and her teeth are very clean. Of course, clean teeth still don't prevent feline oral reabsorption lesions so who can really say if it does much good. Her mouth doesn't stink at least.

My cats also had a lot of tartar buildup. They got cleaned up a year ago and I mix in a bunch of T/D dental into their food and their teeth are clean and there's no sign of new tartar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This sounds relevant to my issues. Kitty’s breath reeks, sure, but more importantly he has a heart condition that makes getting put under for a tooth cleaning potentially fatal. What is this T/D, and is it specifically for periodontal disease or just keeping their teeth clean?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kaworu posted:

Incidentally, this is YET ANOTHER reason why it'a really important to take half an hour every day and just PLAY with your kitty (for at least 15 minutes or even 5 minutes if you are having the worst day ever or something but it's so important to do it every day). And even if your cat isn't in a playful mood, give her your undivided attention. A lot of cats are so much more sensitively and affected by our emotions from them being so tuned in to you.

I'm about 90% confident that Claudius knows cans of Rockstar energy drink on sight or maybe smell because I open one and immediately shes off to the races meowing and batting around toys as part of the we-should-play-now-dad dance. IDK where people get the idea cats are aloof and mysterious, mine at least is communicative to a fault.

pictured: a rest pose in the playtime dance

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Domino is typically a little rear end in a top hat and pets leads to rough play. But if either of us are sick or just having a terrible day the little rear end in a top hat will curl up and pretend he enjoys getting pets without the rough housing.

Bean is far more skittish and wants pets and playtime but only when she demands it. Because she don't give a drat about my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This sounds relevant to my issues. Kitty’s breath reeks, sure, but more importantly he has a heart condition that makes getting put under for a tooth cleaning potentially fatal. What is this T/D, and is it specifically for periodontal disease or just keeping their teeth clean?

T/D is a Hills prescription diet, it's basically a maintenance diet to help with dental health. The biscuits are comparatively larger than most normal cat food so the cat has to physically chew a bit more. It won't fix periodontal disease but it might help it from deteriorating further. Really it's something to chat to your vet about, and they might have ideas regarding intermediary steps short of a GA dental to help with your cats teeth assuming no extractions were needed.