Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I too enjoyed EU3 more when the main limiting factor was filling the world's aggro bar too quickly and moving the fight onto the next phase where everyone declares war on you at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

Ooooh riiiight that's what I forgot. Snap, oh well.
I didn't mean to imply you didn't, I was merely trying to be helpful by offering some great insight into the ideal development process.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Fuligin posted:

like, that was not a post about the quality of stellaris, like, you seem like kind of a retard?? i dunno, hth

The childish manner in which you speak is nearly indecipherable. You sound like shaggy from scooby doo that was intentionally designed to sound like an imbecile.. Want to hear about the quality of stellaris? It’s poo poo. :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The childish manner in which you speak is nearly indecipherable. You sound like shaggy from scooby doo that was intentionally designed to sound like an imbecile.. Want to hear about the quality of stellaris? It’s poo poo. :smug:

like i don't agree. like stellaris is gr8 noob

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Maybe the quality of this thread collapsing so quickly is evidence we need a newer Paradox thread? Now that we have separate ones for all the newer towards, something like a Classic Pdox Games thread.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

Maybe the quality of this thread collapsing so quickly is evidence we need a newer Paradox thread? Now that we have separate ones for all the newer towards, something like a Classic Pdox Games thread.

What would this even accomplish? The same people will be posting the same things.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We need to start over with a new thread so we can finally merge the shallow, seperate mana, DLC, and pop discussion systems into an organic whole

Also it would be really good if you finally got something to do in between "making posts"

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Making posts takes too many pointless clicks, it should be optimised so that it takes at most one click.

I shouldn’t have to click twice just to do a standard shitpost.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All posting should be replaced with sliders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

All posting should be replaced with sliders.

|poo poo POSTING| [---|---------] |poo poo POSTING, BUT FUNNY|

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Making posts takes too many pointless clicks, it should be optimised so that it takes at most one click.

I shouldn’t have to click twice just to do a standard shitpost.

*clicks "Respectfully disagree"*

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Don't make a new thread! Every time you do, stability drops.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What's the :smug: emote with the crown of olives?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:agesilaus:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just heard a cymbal crash in my head.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
So I picked up Victoria 2 on sale and started to poke around with Russia, and it makes tons of money by selling trees, but it feels like there is nothing to spend it on, which is a strange problem to have in a strategy game.
Starting army is already pretty big, could build factories every week but there are not enough crafters to work at them just yet, maybe railroadify everything possible, but is it a good thing?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

So I picked up Victoria 2 on sale and started to poke around with Russia, and it makes tons of money by selling trees, but it feels like there is nothing to spend it on, which is a strange problem to have in a strategy game.
Starting army is already pretty big, could build factories every week but there are not enough crafters to work at them just yet, maybe railroadify everything possible, but is it a good thing?

Do you have both expansions? You should have both expansions, as they changed the game a lot and there was even a beta patch. If so you could always horde goods and make life more expensive for everyone else, and it isn't bad to have a lot of cash on hand anyway.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, you will end up with huge piles of money, it's wierd. You'll burn through it in the 1900s when great wars start, but until then just spam railroads, forts and ports.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

One thing about Victoria 2 is that if you're already making a ton of money, it can actually be helpful to lower the tax rate. Lower taxes means your pops will have more money to spend on their own needs, which makes them less likely to get angry, and it also helps them promote into pops you want more of.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Definitely keep all railroads at the max level possible, railroads are extremely cool and good, especially for resource-based economies like Russia's because they provide big bonuses to RGO output. And then go build up all the railroads in your spherelings. Railroads. Railroads loving everywhere.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

They also help your dudes get to where you ordered them sometime that decade.

There’s a lot of ways to burn through a massive cash stockpile so don’t fret but also lower taxes if you can, your people will appreciate it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The eternal economic struggle of finding a party that can cut taxes enough without forcing you to rely on braindead capitalists building boat factroys.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone played Alea Jacta Est? It kinda looks like EU:Rome.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

The eternal economic struggle of finding a party that can cut taxes enough without forcing you to rely on braindead capitalists building boat factroys.

Just never improve tax efficiency. Then no matter what party is in charge the actual taxes are super low.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Has anyone played Alea Jacta Est? It kinda looks like EU:Rome.

It's not. Don't. Stop. What are you doing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dublish posted:

It's not. Don't. Stop. What are you doing.

Yeah on reflection it's a groggy version of EU:Rome. Now I wanna buy it more.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GrossMurpel posted:

Stop Tempting me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

I read this as "Groogy" version of EU:Rome and got excited for a second :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing about Victoria 2 is that if you're already making a ton of money, it can actually be helpful to lower the tax rate. Lower taxes means your pops will have more money to spend on their own needs, which makes them less likely to get angry, and it also helps them promote into pops you want more of.

Not always true. Getting more of their needs fulfilled increases their consciousness, since now they have time to sit around sipping lattes and discussing dialectical materialism. This can make them angry, but in a different way.

e: also keeping your pops happy isn't always a good thing! It's a lot easier to pass reforms if your people are extremely pissed.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 28, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Not always true. Getting more of their needs fulfilled increases their consciousness, since now they have time to sit around sipping lattes and discussing dialectical materialism. This can make them angry, but in a different way.

e: also keeping your pops happy isn't always a good thing! It's a lot easier to pass reforms if your people are extremely pissed.

Yeah it's a balancing act - raising consciousness also raises their needs (at full 10 consciousness, their needs are DOUBLED), which makes them harder to satisfy. The increase in demand can also help keep your factories afloat, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Slitherine posted:

“ALEA JACTA EST” (The Die is Cast) is what Caesar said as he crossed the Rubicon River when he learned that the Senate had removed him from his command. Crossing that small Italian river was equivalent to disobeying Rome’s orders and entering into open rebellion in this historical turn-based strategy wargame .

why wouldn't you just call it Rubicon then

at least that'd be a memorable name

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How is it not memorable? It's a well-known quote.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

How is it not memorable? It's a well-known quote.

The Latin version just doesn't seem all that catchy as a game name, like it seems it'd be hard to refer to it casually unless you just go with an initialism

e: "do you wanna play some Alea" was the thought going through my head when I saw the name, and that just doesn't sound great to me, like it sounds like the scientific name of a eel subspecies

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 28, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I have literally never heard the Latin version of it, just name your drat game "The Die is Cast."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

reignonyourparade posted:

I have literally never heard the Latin version of it, just name your drat game "Rome 2"
Fixed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

I have literally never heard the Latin version of it, just name your drat game "The Die is Cast."
Just step up your knowledge pleb. :smug:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Poil posted:

Just step up your knowledge pleb. :smug:

What the hell is a pleb!? Just call me an idiot, idiot!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Latin alphabet didn't have a J loving casual game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Phlegmish posted:

The Latin alphabet didn't have a J loving casual game