Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bogart posted:

I don't even know how you'd get to all the Dreamers without getting the upgrade to pass through the black gates. Here's a hint: go all the way down.

apparently easily since I did it blind :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah same, I got the cloak after getting the first ending on my first time through the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

redreader posted:

I have one key. I've opened up the city so I have access to two keyholes (first one and the one near the fountain in the city). Should I use it on the one near the fountain, or some other keyhole?

also when should I try to kill the mantis lords?

Use it in the city - the door in Dirtmouth doesn't lead to progress.

Once you've got the first nail upgrade is a good time to tackle the Lords but the game gets very nonlinear from here so order of doing things really boils down to "try, and come back later if it's too hard".

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I finally got to what I'm assuming is the "final" boss. Beat the 3 masks and broke into the Black Egg only to face the Hollow Knight . It was a fantastic ride, and while I'm sure there are tons more to go, I think I'm done playing blind. Just too much backtracking, and less things being discovered.

One thing I've never figured out is how to break the weird Black Laser Gates. It's turned out not to be essential but still. I'd like to 100% this game, it deserves that effort, though I don't see how I'll ever manage to beat the dream versions of the bosses. Maybe if I upgrade the nail some more?

Looking at my map I can't find anymore more paths to push forward into, which means I need to go room by room... and I'll either have to take a month long break to make it feel fresh again, but I'm not up to doing that right now.

In case you get tired of hunting and want it made explicit:

What it is, what it does:
You don't break the black gates, you just go through them. The upgrade that allows that is the Shade Cloak, which modifies your dash to let you dash through the black gates. It also lets you dash through stuff without taking damage. (Note that the cooldown on this is longer than on the regular dash -- you can still dash, you just won't be invincible when you do until the longer Shade Cloak cooldown elapses. Dashmaster does not affect the Shade Cloak cooldown.)

Where it is:
Go down into the Abyss, go to the right at the bottom. If you haven't already, go up the lighthouse and turn on the light with the switch. Afterward, or if you have already, crystal dash off to the right from the lighthouse across the black sea. Follow the path around to the item.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This basically ate my vacation last week, I could NOT get enough of it. Decided to take a break at 96% completion and come back to wrap up when Gods & Glory dropped. Still need to finish the Troupe DLC and Trial of the Fool, but other than that I think I tracked down almost everything, including the Grubs which is a pretty rare feat for me in games.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't feel too bad about it, Watcher Knight is generally considered one of the harder fights.

had no problem with the watcher knights, but all the trials were uphill struggles and have still not completed trial of the fools.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

still strugglin :(

I made it past Hornet last night! So far the bosses have had a really neat feeling of learning their moves and then eventually killing them without hardly getting hit. I'm hoping the game takes off pretty soon though, it's been rough playing til now with just the basic jump/swing moveset. I feel like the levels I've seen so far are kinda barren, like I should have found more stuff for the amount of running around I've done. Although when I really think about it, I've unlocked two magic spells, two shopkeepers, a charm, two maps, another move, and probably some stuff that I'm forgetting. I guess a lot of that stuff feels like basic game mechanics, though, so I still FEEL like I've been playing for hours without unlocking much. It's also kinda depressing that, instead of anything useful, I'm constantly rewarded with these little geo piles that give me 15 coins and might just disappear entirely once I get killed. It's just felt so very slow.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Phenotype posted:

I made it past Hornet last night! So far the bosses have had a really neat feeling of learning their moves and then eventually killing them without hardly getting hit. I'm hoping the game takes off pretty soon though, it's been rough playing til now with just the basic jump/swing moveset. I feel like the levels I've seen so far are kinda barren, like I should have found more stuff for the amount of running around I've done. Although when I really think about it, I've unlocked two magic spells, two shopkeepers, a charm, two maps, another move, and probably some stuff that I'm forgetting. I guess a lot of that stuff feels like basic game mechanics, though, so I still FEEL like I've been playing for hours without unlocking much. It's also kinda depressing that, instead of anything useful, I'm constantly rewarded with these little geo piles that give me 15 coins and might just disappear entirely once I get killed. It's just felt so very slow.

Just enjoy the music and atmosphere! The unlocks will come as you need them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

Hooooo... Bapanada.

Mastery and familiarity with the world and the controls is what you're gaining. Geo is always obtainable. There's nothing wrong with heading back up to Dirtmouth and burning your Geo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bogart posted:

Hooooo... Bapanada.

oh my god I recognized this immediately.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Once you get your next movement upgrade (spoiling so you can check if that's what you meant by "another move:" the Mantis Claw, from the Mantis Village underneath the Fungal Caves), the game opens up considerably. In fact, it opens up to the point where just listing the number of places you can go and things you can do is almost impractical. Just explore!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Over There posted:

oh my god I recognized this immediately.

This game has better gibberish speak than any other game I’ve played since KOTOR

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh my god Grey Knight Zote :kimchi: This game

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm trying to play this game blind on Switch, which is really great, but I am seriously just feeling like I am wandering lost. I have zero indication if I am moving forward outside of "You got a new power/move! Now go to every single corner of the map again and see if you can go anywhere new."

Which, might get tiresome.

For what its worth I feel like I am early on? I have the dash move, and the fireball move. I am in the Fog Haven or whatever, which connects to a part of Greenpath. I found a banker lady once but had no money but haven't managed to find her again. I can access the Stone Sanctuary but keep almost dying and am holding like 1k Souls so I just back away. I just don't really know where to go.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Go to the bottom of Fog Canyon. Banker lady is to your left, and to your right is progress.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pigbuster posted:

Go to the bottom of Fog Canyon. Banker lady is to your left, and to your right is progress.

Thanks. In doing this, will I come back around to map guy? I know where he is, but when I approach from the west to his map, there is a dark shadow wall.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Feenix posted:

Thanks. In doing this, will I come back around to map guy? I know where he is, but when I approach from the west to his map, there is a dark shadow wall.

You aren't getting the map for Fog Canyon for a long time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

In a very, very long time, yes. In the short run forget about it. Fog Canyon is not meant to be cleared until late game, for now you’re just passing through.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I see. Thank you!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feenix posted:

Which, might get tiresome.

Maybe surprisingly, but it doesn't. I always liked backtracking if only if because it helped progress the Hunters journal.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

skasion posted:

This game has better gibberish speak than any other game I’ve played since KOTOR

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HUNDOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is the best line in the game hands down, fight me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I Said No posted:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HUNDOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is the best line in the game hands down, fight me

SHAW!!

ADEENOO!!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know how to spell Quirrel's battle cries otherwise I'd type them in all caps.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

skasion posted:

SHAW!!

ADEENOO!!

My wife said she'd leave me if she hears the White Palace (Path of Pain) music again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I Said No posted:

GIT GUUD

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm gonna be lamestream and just say Fegale!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I had this backlogged for a year since my old toaster couldn't run it.

:catdrugs: Holy gently caress this game was great, and I'm typically averse to Metroidvania-style games.

Just kicked the poo poo out of Radiance with a spellcaster build. gently caress that fourth phase with a lead pipe.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The voice lines are great, and if I wasn’t lazy, I’d go back and dig up that goon in the thread from Team Cherry posting the dev stories about the voice acting. All the new Switch people should learn about it!

e: and by lazy, i mean ‘on mobile’

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ba Fanada was the goon's girlfriend, that's the only part I remember.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ambivalent posted:

The voice lines are great, and if I wasn’t lazy, I’d go back and dig up that goon in the thread from Team Cherry posting the dev stories about the voice acting. All the new Switch people should learn about it!

e: and by lazy, i mean ‘on mobile’
I haven't seen this and I'd love to!

The voice acting in this game is fantastic :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I’m giving up on the trial of the fool.

:negative:

I’ll come back at the absolute end game when I have all my upgrades possible or whatever. Man, they must call it the trial of the fool because you are a fool for trying.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m giving up on the trial of the fool.

:negative:

I’ll come back at the absolute end game when I have all my upgrades possible or whatever. Man, they must call it the trial of the fool because you are a fool for trying.
That is in fact why they call it that. The plaque says that all you win is the honor of being a fool.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

No Wave posted:

That is in fact why they call it that. The plaque says that all you win is the honor of being a fool.

WTF

:saddowns:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And an achievement! And a percentage point!

:v:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Trial of the Fool goes between waves of "this is a joke" and "gently caress OFF"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it was only added in the most recent update but the charm that gives you an orbiting shield that blocks bullets and does a swing's worth of damage to enemies it bumps into really helped me out during the hardest part of the trial of the fool

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I managed to successfully use a Full Melee Build. The problem with the fight is that it's eight minutes long and doesn't start getting egregiously obnoxious until about minute six

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i actually just got robbed by this banker

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a reason the path to the colosseum is littered with dead bodies.