Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

John F Bennett posted:

You can play ESO singleplayer as the only player in the world?

No every time you go to the unrealistically spaced-out market stalls of a hub town, there will always be fifty other players in gimmick grim reaper and slave leia outfits, clipping through each other as they belly dance and do donuts on flaming horses. MMOs are dumb as hell.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Eso is a very tepid fun if you thought skyrim quests were fun. If you liked breaking the game and one shotting mobs after a while turn back now because its wow with a skyrim skin. The nature of an mmo dictates you cant be a glowing demigod or find any amazing artifacts until youve spent a hundred hours. Every enemy will take the same amount of time to kill, basically.

The "everything is leveled" approach has it's advantages, but I don't know how anyone is supposed to feel any sort of immersion in a game when, after hundreds of hours of leveling and loot farming, every random dung beetle or piss bandit still takes the same twenty seconds of mindless whacking as it did at Level 1. MMOs are dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dunno why you're expecting some sort of difficulty curve in overworld content when they've specifically designed it to be as even as possible.

Maybe ESO isn't for you my dude.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Problem with ESO combat is not that they take too long, it's that they are really repetitive.

You can easily remember most of the moves enemies have and many of these enemies are just recolors anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would absolutely love a mainline ES game that allowed for more than one player, but a) didn't require it, and b) wasn't massively multiplayer.

Like you and 1-7 friends tearing poo poo up across Tamriel.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's a lot of friends, man.

And eventually you split up and years later you find one of them in some cabin way out there up in the mountains, all grizzled and stuff. Then you get to find and assemble the rest of the team, get them out of retirement to fight the big new threat. That's pretty cool.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I can't find it anywhere online, but I could have sworn there was an npc in Morrowind who realized they were in a game. Does anyone else remember that or was it some crazy fever dream?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CHIM

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

That's it! Thanks!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

What?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A popular reading of the 36 Lessons of Vivec is that, in his ascent to godhood he becomes aware that he's a videogame character. I've never been able to get all the way through them, so I don't know how much this is supported by the text and how much people are letting their outside knowledge colour their reading of generically mystical language.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IIRC these blog posts were the ones that originally drew attention to and/or popularised the theory, though maybe there were lore people that were aware before then: https://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-1/

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It can get a bit confusing since there’s a few references to some weird graphical glitches from Redguard, but one of the big pushes for that interpretation is the image that the world of the Elder Scrolls is shaped like a wheel, and people read it as referring the Game CD. And that the mystic secret syllable called CHIM is the ~ button you push to pull up the in game command console that lets you do anything.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think the stuff about the circular structure of the universe representing the game CD is MK wankery.

It's cool and good that there's a wheel with eight spokes (Divines) and sixteen non-spokes (Daedra), and that from the side it looks like a tower and spells out the true name of God, I. But it works better as mythology and symbolism, not so much when you apply it literally.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

John F Bennett posted:

You can play ESO singleplayer as the only player in the world?

You will see other people but yes, you can treat it like another singleplayer game. The story related content is all single player instances. Its free to play if you buy the expansions. There's also a monthly pass that gives you all the content if you wanna just play the content then turn it off but it will lock the content when you stop paying I think.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The wheel is the disc, the four corners are the screen, the triune is the polygon/triangles, the ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
All the content except the Chapters (Morrowind and Summerset). Buying one of those though gets you the base game and then you just have to buy the other.

Then yeah the ESO+ sub gives you all the little DLCs and also crowns, with which you can buy the DLCs as you accumulate them since you pay about as much to buy Crowns outright as you do earning them by being subbed

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

morrowind is now included with eso+ iirc, though im not 100 on that

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sky Shadowing posted:

All the content except the Chapters (Morrowind and Summerset). Buying one of those though gets you the base game and then you just have to buy the other.

Then yeah the ESO+ sub gives you all the little DLCs and also crowns, with which you can buy the DLCs as you accumulate them since you pay about as much to buy Crowns outright as you do earning them by being subbed

If one simply must play ESO, ESO+ is a good value and I'm glad I subscribed during my time with the game. The crowns are nice, but it's the crafting bag and extra storage space that really makes ESO+ shine. Briefly playing ESO- quickly left me feeling like a second class citizen; "Boy crafting seems neat! Oh, I guess I'll never be able to participate in any meaningful way!"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Commissar Canuck posted:

I can't find it anywhere online, but I could have sworn there was an npc in Morrowind who realized they were in a game. Does anyone else remember that or was it some crazy fever dream?

Lowtax is in Morrowind.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axolotl farmer posted:

Lowtax is in Morrowind.

:wtc:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I think his banhammer is

edit - from the wiki :

In Azura's Coast (13, 5), you can find the corpse of an NPC named Arlowe. On the corpse is the BanHammer. This is a reference to the Something Awful Forums, where the site's creator, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, uses the Banhammer to ban trolls. On the forums, Kyanka is sometimes referred to as R-Lo, which is a homonym of Arlowe.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

If Techangel made a guide for SSE, then I am on board. I guess MO2 really has caught up to MO + Oldrim. I just came here for modding Morrowind. Going to use MO2 for it as well, as I heard it only requires a few plugins on the side like Mlox, Patcher and MGE.

Tools:
-4GB Patch
-Exe Optimizer
-MGE
-Mlox
-Morrowind Code patch
-Morrowind optimization patch

Textures:
-Watercolor texture (Morrowind Styled version). This mod will encompass pretty much everything that is not after this.
-Races Redone
-Better Blood
-Ultimate Icon Replacer
-Magic diversity
-AOF Waterfalls
-Better Dialogue font
-HD concept art (Loading screen mod)
-One True Faith - Saints and Frescoes Retexture
-ThySpiritsThyLords
-Subtle magic glow
-Gondolier hat replacer (by far the most important one on the list)

Gameplay:
-Tamriel Rebuilt (With any necessary patches)
-Run Faster
-Tower of Vos
-Umbra Blademaster
-Vivec Voice addon
-Dagoth Ur Voice addon
-Almalexia Voice
-Dagoth Urs Divine Body

Fixes:
-Delayed DB attacks
-Less generic Nerevarine (plus expansions)
-Unofficial Morrowind patch for purists
-Passive Cliffracers

Did I miss anything important?

Also, I get a problem where I get double ears. Basically, with how my textures/meshes are setup, it places them on top of the object, instead of replacing it. So I guess if I fix that, I got textures covered.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

John F Bennett posted:

I think his banhammer is

edit - from the wiki :

In Azura's Coast (13, 5), you can find the corpse of an NPC named Arlowe. On the corpse is the BanHammer. This is a reference to the Something Awful Forums, where the site's creator, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, uses the Banhammer to ban trolls. On the forums, Kyanka is sometimes referred to as R-Lo, which is a homonym of Arlowe.

:aaaaa:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That was during the golden age of these lost forums.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

John F Bennett posted:

That was during the golden age of these lost forums.

Johnny five-aces is just outside of Goodsprings in New Vegas

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:redhammer:

Aren't there a tiny handful of goon devs still?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

A popular reading of the 36 Lessons of Vivec is that, in his ascent to godhood he becomes aware that he's a videogame character. I've never been able to get all the way through them, so I don't know how much this is supported by the text and how much people are letting their outside knowledge colour their reading of generically mystical language.

there are two ways (probably more but for simplicity's sake, two) to read what vivec says about CHIM and his godly powers

he's either a video game character who has attained "player" status despite being an NPC, with vivec the god being the player and vivec the mortal merely his in-game avatar, which lets vivec the god do things like save/reload and make use of the construction set;

or he's a dude who has realized that everybody and everything in the universe is actually one entity, and, being part of that one entity, can affect the other parts in ways usually reserved for the gods, and detach himself from linearity/mortality/etc. in that way.

it's worth noting that vivec, unlike almalexia and sotha sil, is still effectively a god even after you destroy lorkhan's heart, because he understands the actual nature of godhood whereas the other two (and him, at first) merely had godlike power from an external source.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:redhammer:

Aren't there a tiny handful of goon devs still?

They are our friend's uncle.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jazerus posted:

there are two ways (probably more but for simplicity's sake, two) to read what vivec says about CHIM and his godly powers

he's either a video game character who has attained "player" status despite being an NPC, with vivec the god being the player and vivec the mortal merely his in-game avatar, which lets vivec the god do things like save/reload and make use of the construction set;

or he's a dude who has realized that everybody and everything in the universe is actually one entity, and, being part of that one entity, can affect the other parts in ways usually reserved for the gods, and detach himself from linearity/mortality/etc. in that way.

it's worth noting that vivec, unlike almalexia and sotha sil, is still effectively a god even after you destroy lorkhan's heart, because he understands the actual nature of godhood whereas the other two (and him, at first) merely had godlike power from an external source.

take two is the way I lean

I guess the first idea is fun but it's extremely :rolleyes::fh:

woah

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

take two is the way I lean

I guess the first idea is fun but it's extremely :rolleyes::fh:

woah

well take one has some evidence for it in that the player does have vivec's power set, which is a lot harder to explain in take two's scenario given just the evidence available; you'd have to postulate that nerevar also knows CHIM, or that azura is the one manipulating reality for the player, which has its own issues.

but yeah i think take two is the more sensible and interesting one, all around

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

The 36 Lessons of Vivec posted:

With these magic words, the King of Rape added another: 'CHIM,' which is the secret syllable of royalty.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Nerevarine has CHIM because they are actually YISUN.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

interestingly, all four of the post-arena protagonists do have a semi-plausible in-universe explanation for the powers they have because they are video game protagonists; the hero of daggerfall's fate is entangled with numidium, the nerevarine's got azura on their side, the champion of cyrodiil is maybe just sheogorath the whole time, and the dragonborn is imbibing bits of akatosh, which just has to have some weird time-bending side effects involved

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Reading the blog linked earlier, if that was what started this, it smacks of having created the interpretation first and then fitting the source material into it, easy enough with any text and all the moreso with mythical esoterica. Though when on the subject of metaphysics it's hard to say anything is concretely wrong either.

One thing I don't see get brought up often in this debate is that the 36 Lessons also serve as Vivec's confession, that he was not born divine not fated to be so, the acknowledgement of which throws the veracity of the Lessons into question. As we know and he admits he killed Nerevar and committed a profane apotheosis. This implies that the events of the Lessons as Vivec grows into godhood never happened, and that they're a bunch of mythical gibberish Vivec made up to support his worship and to hide his confession, possibly for the arrival of the nerevarine, possibly just to ease his conscience for the murder of his friend.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ItBreathes posted:

Reading the blog linked earlier, if that was what started this, it smacks of having created the interpretation first and then fitting the source material into it, easy enough with any text and all the moreso with mythical esoterica. Though when on the subject of metaphysics it's hard to say anything is concretely wrong either.

Same. Also there's no need to have characters in there with ultra powers just because they're being played by a human. As far as they know there's no difference and saving or loading has no effect, that's simply just the world itself. For all we know that poo poo could be happening in real life right now, we have no way of knowing, and even if it happens 10,000 times a second there's no difference. The "loaded" world is the one we experience. If someone turns off their GoTY edition we won't know because time's stopped.

ItBreathes posted:

One thing I don't see get brought up often in this debate is that the 36 Lessons also serve as Vivec's confession, that he was not born divine not fated to be so, the acknowledgement of which throws the veracity of the Lessons into question. As we know and he admits he killed Nerevar and committed a profane apotheosis. This implies that the events of the Lessons as Vivec grows into godhood never happened, and that they're a bunch of mythical gibberish Vivec made up to support his worship and to hide his confession, possibly for the arrival of the nerevarine, possibly just to ease his conscience for the murder of his friend.

Eh it could be both real and fake, once you get on that level history doesn't have to be consistent anymore.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

the events of the lessons happened, sort of, but to vivec the god, not vivec the mortal.

vivec the mortal killed nerevar and seized godlike power, but this did not make him a god. almalexia and sotha sil were never gods; vivec became one through contemplation of reality, and thus was always one, because the gods stand outside of time and are therefore present in all times. that's what being a god, fundamentally, is. the lessons are an allegorical version of vivec's journey to enlightenment, essentially; they aren't just bullshit for the masses, but they were mostly not actual events in the mortal world.

talos is the same way. he was tiber septim (and maybe also a couple of other dudes but i don't personally find the idea of talos-as-trinity very compelling or well-supported), and then he was talos; but talos has always existed.

Same. Also there's no need to have characters in there with ultra powers just because they're being played by a human. As far as they know there's no difference and saving or loading has no effect, that's simply just the world itself. For all we know that poo poo could be happening in real life right now, we have no way of knowing, and even if it happens 10,000 times a second there's no difference. The "loaded" world is the one we experience. If someone turns off their GoTY edition we won't know because time's stopped.

saving and loading has demonstrably had effects on tamriel, unlike a hypothetical situation where our reality contains a player, though; the warp in the west and tiber septim's conquest of tamriel were both the results of multiple timelines playing out and then merging. no mortal except the hero of daggerfall or tiber septim can describe exactly how they happened, because everybody else experienced only one branch of the timeline.

in both cases, numidium was the thing doing the time-warping, but there's a greater principle of reality that numidium taps into that the gods also have access to, and which vivec describes using himself. heck, mannimarco becomes a god during the warp by tapping into that principle through numidium, thus standing outside of time.

i guess what i'm saying is, godhood in the elder scrolls universe is very strange and is entangled with the notion of non-linear time in a way that usually doesn't affect mortals, but can in some circumstances, and sometimes that looks a lot like saving and loading, even though it isn't literal video game saving and loading.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 28, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I get double ears from Races Redone mod. Wish someone could make a patch so that I can use that mod without the additional hair it adds, since I find that type of hair mod a bit cringy.

Midig fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 28, 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I find insane vaguely Hindu-mysticism cosmology far more entertaining than "hey you guys what if Aragorn knew he was in a book and had it in for the author".

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

I find insane vaguely Hindu-mysticism cosmology far more entertaining than "hey you guys what if Aragorn knew he was in a book and had it in for the author".

Yeah, I always thought that translating obscure weird metaphysics lore into a gameplay analogue was kind of stupid. Cheapens it, a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Pretty sure Johnny 5 aces is in the new PIllars of Eternity game as well