Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hobo By Design posted:

One of my players is an arcane trickster rogue who took warlock spells with magic initiate. They've gotten good use out of it and I figured it'd be neat if their usage caught the attention of an actual warlock patron, especially since "fey spirits terrorizing the neighborhood" was a major plot point for a while. They aren't interested in multiclassing (afaik), but I think throwing them an RP bone could be fun. Not sure where to go with a hook like that, though. Traipsing through the Feywild would be a major diversion from what's going on in the campaign.

e: posted this here instead of the GM advice thread, whoops.

Bad Seafood posted:

They're a thief, right? Or presumably a scoundrel, at the very least.

Have your patron offer them a job. They need something, perhaps something ancillary to whatever the party's doing anyway, and because they're feeling very generous they'll even let the rogue keep siphoning their powers without asking, which would certainly be a terrible thing to do without asking permission, wouldn't it?
Considering the efforts the player is going to not play an actual warlock, maybe don't immediately go straight for the biggest pain in the rear end about playing an actual warlock unless you know your player would be into it.

If you know they would love that sort of fantasy offer you cant refuse deal though, go for it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relentless posted:

A friend to play an exhausted wizard that keeps doing your job for you while you burn spell slots on trying to impress the ladies.
Or a familiar (one level of sorcerer? Arcane secrets?), and every time you actually do anything useful it was the familiar doing it (but you take the credit).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Section Z posted:

Considering the efforts the player is going to not play an actual warlock, maybe don't immediately go straight for the biggest pain in the rear end about playing an actual warlock unless you know your player would be into it.

If you know they would love that sort of fantasy offer you cant refuse deal though, go for it.
Guy posted asking for plot hooks, I gave him one. He knows his player better than anyone else here and can ignore it if he wants. Relax.

Never even said it had to be a hard job.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RC Cola posted:

If I was trying to run a charlatan bard that is basically zapp brannigan what would I need besides high charisma and low wisdom?

In this case (in fact for p much any RP situation you can think of that doesn't require success), stats dont matter.

If your DM forces you to roll a social check and you pass it thanks to being a Bard immediately follow it up with an even bigger Brannigan Blunder.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hobo By Design posted:

One of my players is an arcane trickster rogue who took warlock spells with magic initiate. They've gotten good use out of it and I figured it'd be neat if their usage caught the attention of an actual warlock patron, especially since "fey spirits terrorizing the neighborhood" was a major plot point for a while. They aren't interested in multiclassing (afaik), but I think throwing them an RP bone could be fun. Not sure where to go with a hook like that, though. Traipsing through the Feywild would be a major diversion from what's going on in the campaign.

e: posted this here instead of the GM advice thread, whoops.

Have the patron's job offer to be to steal a mcguffin from some other Fey that the patron wants to see taken down a peg. Since the Patron just cares about embarrassing the other Fey, lets the rogue keep it because the Patron couldn't care less about the actual item.

Or, the Patron knows that the holder of the item will get a lot of heat so set up the rogue to deal with it while also getting to embarass the other Fey in the process.

Basically a softer version of Bad Seafood's idea that doesn't hook so hard into the Warlock clasd.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Adventure League Question:

Hey goons! Quick advice question. I'm going to be running an ongoing game of DnD for some of my friends but since we only have one 3-hour session every other week I thought running some DND Adventure League games for them would be good because 1) they're made for this sort of time-limit and 2) they seem episodic enough for spread-out game sessions like this.

The advice I'm looking for is this- is there one season that's better to run than the others? I'm looking for archetypal fantasy DnD so that leaves Curse of Strahd out (too grimdark). I guess I could pick and choose between the seasons, but I'd kind of like to string the sessions together into a sort of meta-narrative.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (except "do not run DnD Adventure League adventures"... that would just be KIND OF appreciated).

Thanks in advance!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I think it would be cool of the Patron got all huffy and offended the AT turned them down and continued to low-key dick with them for the rest of the campaign ;)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Smashing Link posted:

I think it would be cool of the Patron got all huffy and offended the AT turned them down and continued to low-key dick with them for the rest of the campaign ;)

Patron gets all huffy, and starts cranking up the charm offensive. They become helpful to the point of inconvenience.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Smashing Link posted:

Ah yes, the "you get hosed for picking a feat" method of DMing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Patron gets all huffy, and starts cranking up the charm offensive. They become helpful to the point of inconvenience.
Patron keeps passive-aggressively assisting the party, hoping to one day catch rogue-senpai's attention.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't have to be malicious. Think more like Q from Star Trek: TNG -- immensely powerful but kind of needy at the same time. Also not really as smart as Picard and crew.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Piell posted:

Ah yes, the "you get hosed for picking a feat" method of DMing.

Is that really what you're taking away from the situation?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Malpais Legate posted:

Is that really what you're taking away from the situation?
It's hardly uncommon, the urge for even the most casual of GMs to suddenly feel that somebody playing a warlock means it's time to start going all in on the fickle patron gimmick.

It's not always a problem of course.

Sometimes you can't go five minutes without the GM reminding you that YOUR ability to cast fireball means you are indebted to powers beyond your mortal imagining, and they start using your familiar as a mouthpiece for dark powers.

Other times you get away with claiming your patron is the "Prince of Hearts" Archfey, only mentioned once in a single 4th edition item. Then you name your warlock an anagram of Keebler just to drive the stupid joke home.

You can even see both extremes from from the same GM. Sometimes it's used well for good hooks that naturally fit into the game, sometimes it's clear they are just trying to fill a 'patron puppet strings' quota.

Also "Dick with them for the rest of the campaign" is a pretty clear cut statement, even with the backpeddaling are you honestly surprised by Piell's response to a line like that?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 27, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am playing in a new campaign and I have a decent (I like it, anyway) backstory for my guy, but no idea how to build him. I have access to most of the D&D releases, and the DM is pretty easygoing about homebrew stuff like Mearl's Blood Hunters, etc.

Basically He is a salty old sailor who reached the end of his useful years as a deckhand, but had no wealth or station to get out of it. So, he put some rocks in his pockets and threw himself into the sea. Just as he was dying, Umberlee (The Bitch Queen, mean CE Forgotten Realms deity of storms and oceans) claimed him for her own. Now he is full of rage and longs for and is terrified of death because he doesn't know what she plans next. He also is filled with a need to spread storm and destruction err'where.'

I am thinking maybe Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorc 18, but that's really all I got.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 27, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The Dregs posted:

I am playing in a new campaign and I have a decent (I like it, anyway) backstory for my guy, but no idea how to build him. I have access to most of the D&D releases, and the DM is pretty easygoing about homebrew stuff like Mearl's Blood Hunters, etc.

Basically He is a salty old sailor who reached the end of his useful years as a deckhand, but had no wealth or station to get out of it. So, he put some rocks in his pockets and threw himself into the sea. Just as he was dying, Umberlee (The Bitch Queen, mean CE Forgotten Realms deity of storms and oceans) claimed him for her own. Now he is full of rage and longs for and is terrified of death because he doesn't know what she plans next. He also is filled with a need to spread storm and destruction err'where.'

I am thinking maybe Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorc 18, but that's really all I got.

I was gonna say Tempest Cleric, so I think you're on the right track.

Also, I thought Blood Hunter was a Matt Mercer design, based on the Witch Hunter for that D&Diesel promo.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Finster Dexter posted:

I was gonna say Tempest Cleric, so I think you're on the right track.

Also, I thought Blood Hunter was a Matt Mercer design, based on the Witch Hunter for that D&Diesel promo.

Got my M's mixed up. You're right, it's Mercer. Thanks.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The Dregs posted:

There's a Storm Barbarian build that shoots lighting and is just real angry. Or he can just throw icy temp hp everywhere.

A cold focused Warlock with her as a patron would work too.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Have a friend who's doing a very similar idea (with Talos instead of Umberlee), and he's having a lot of fun with Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorc.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Dregs posted:

Tempest Cleric works, but don't multiclass.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How is that storm barbarian anyway?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Novum posted:

How is that storm barbarian anyway?

Bad. Not only are the effects really weak, they require constant refreshing using your Bonus Action, directly competing with the traditional ways for Barbarian to gain extra damage (TWF, Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master).

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tempest Cleric works, but don't multiclass.

Wait, why?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Dregs posted:

Wait, why?

Casting classes that use different stats just don't mesh well due to the multiclass prereqs, and Tempest Cleric is a way better class than a Storm Sorcerer that's 2 levels behind on its spells.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I considered that, but a heavily armored cleric just seems wrong for a sailor type, especially one who's already drowned once.

That barbarian seems like a cool idea, the idea of a skinny gnarly old sailor with a cutlass and buckler foaming at the mouth with rage is hilarious and awesome. I am not sure it's quite stormy enough to fit the backgroud. A barbarian-as-a-warlock seems cool.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Tbh he tried to drown himself by weighing down so it seems good to me to wear heavy armr

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wear full plate emblazoned with anchors.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah. You got me there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wear full plate emblazoned with anchors.

Anchor tattoo with "I refuse to float" text.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Use the stats for a triton, describe the fullplate as an old-timey brass diving suit that he never, ever removes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The armor is actually just the anchor chain you tried to drown yourself with.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Section Z posted:

It's hardly uncommon, the urge for even the most casual of GMs to suddenly feel that somebody playing a warlock means it's time to start going all in on the fickle patron gimmick.

It's not always a problem of course.

Sometimes you can't go five minutes without the GM reminding you that YOUR ability to cast fireball means you are indebted to powers beyond your mortal imagining, and they start using your familiar as a mouthpiece for dark powers.

Other times you get away with claiming your patron is the "Prince of Hearts" Archfey, only mentioned once in a single 4th edition item. Then you name your warlock an anagram of Keebler just to drive the stupid joke home.

You can even see both extremes from from the same GM. Sometimes it's used well for good hooks that naturally fit into the game, sometimes it's clear they are just trying to fill a 'patron puppet strings' quota.

Also "Dick with them for the rest of the campaign" is a pretty clear cut statement, even with the backpeddaling are you honestly surprised by Piell's response to a line like that?

I just felt this was really pessimistic for a series of posts that started very tongue-in-cheek about the the feat.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Casting classes that use different stats just don't mesh well due to the multiclass prereqs, and Tempest Cleric is a way better class than a Storm Sorcerer that's 2 levels behind on its spells.

The requirements to add a cleric multiclass are just "Wisdom 13". Something that is very low cost to throw into a build, since wisdom saves are so ubiquitous. You were probably going to be going Wisdom 12 anyway. Adding in the strength to be able to wear heavy armour effectively is probably asking too much, but that isn't the big payload of adding Tempest cleric to the build (Half-plate access is still handy).

The biggest deal is being able to use the Destructive Wrath feature on things like Lightning Bolt, and effectively just delete one entire encounter per day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

The armor is actually just the anchor chain you tried to drown yourself with.
This is the correctest answer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Now im thinking of a kickass sea druid who circumvents the 'dont wear metal' by wearing a huge rusty anchor chain covered in coral, algae and seaweed. And doesnt so much swim as walk through the water.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

As someone who played a furious tempest cleric of Umberlee with a very similar backstory (galley slave who just wanted the ship's crew dead, drat the consequences), I just had the guy wear rusted to hell heavy plate.

It was a point of faith on his part-- Umberlee's going to probably drown him to death eventually. No point in running from it, but there's also no reason to fear it because it's not happening until the appointed time.

Remember to take intimidation and try to hit up any and every ship captain you run across for a donation. Offer nothing in return.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Paladin posted:

Remember to take intimidation and try to hit up any and every ship captain you run across for a donation. Offer nothing in return.

Ah the Nullrod Prayer

"But I didn't get anything!"
"No, you got nothing."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone remind me of that apparently really good hexcrawl that's system agnostic? I don't remember exactly, but it's basically just a homebrew world and encounter charts, I thought? But really well received. Anyone know?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

Can someone remind me of that apparently really good hexcrawl that's system agnostic? I don't remember exactly, but it's basically just a homebrew world and encounter charts, I thought? But really well received. Anyone know?

https://www.martinralya.com/tabletop-rpgs/hexmancer-procedural-hex-generation-system/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It was some high quality blank state sort of affair, not a generator. Something that was presumably made by care with hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Firstborn posted:

It was some high quality blank state sort of affair, not a generator. Something that was presumably made by care with hand.

Haven't used it at all, but this sounds like Hot Springs Island?