Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just putting gashes in the armor and turning it red from the heat it causes. If sawblaze ever actually goes through and cuts a wire or a battery, then I will accept it's a real weapon. As it is, everything Sawblaze does is put on a show for the judges while being a high quality wedge bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just putting gashes in the armor and turning it red from the heat it causes. If sawblaze ever actually goes through and cuts a wire or a battery, then I will accept it's a real weapon. As it is, everything Sawblaze does is put on a show for the judges while being a high quality wedge bot.

That being said, it is a pretty awesome wedge. That being said, wedges still suck and are boring.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the saw is totally useless because it needs time to cut through something important, but it doesn't have it because rules

it also can't cut at the same place over and over again for obvious reasons, so it's basically putting a dozen papercuts all over the chassis. The only time it will work would be if the armor was pathetically thin in the first place

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIABF0sNnp0

Different saw bot, but I'd think Sawblaze is at least as strong

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIABF0sNnp0

Different saw bot, but I'd think Sawblaze is at least as strong

I honestly can't tell if the saw even got through the armor or if the bot just started burning on its own.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I honestly can't tell if the saw even got through the armor or if the bot just started burning on its own.

It cut through a battery.

Aftermath shot:

This is what I meant when I said that saws don't look impressive, you can't really see what they're doing. Red Devil seemed like it barely touched Witch Doctor, but then delivered one of the most impressive KOs I've ever seen.

E: Not an isolated incident either

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 25, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:wtc:

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Lipos really don't like being damaged.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lol Sawblaze is going to win the entire tournament. Wedge bots are proven to be the best bots and there will always be builders that find a way around the ruleset so that they can have a wedge bot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/BattleBotsHuge/posts/224390691500145

Interesting read. Huge was approved by Battlebots based on an incomplete model. Then as the deadline approached, they shipped half of Huge that they managed to finish in time to California, while working on the rest. Then they did final assembly at the venue in a few days.

And apparently Overhaul was sent in half built as well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Overhaul has always been half build though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In my relentless strive to do anything that will get my mind off work I checked out 2015. Couldn't stop laughing at the guy who hid a net in a present package to kill a spinner.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

In my relentless strive to do anything that will get my mind off work I checked out 2015. Couldn't stop laughing at the guy who hid a net in a present package to kill a spinner.

Want to laugh harder? He's a goon, and judging this year.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MiddleOne posted:

Still my favorite match ever. It was total bullshit and 100% worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ConfusedUs posted:

Still my favorite match ever. It was total bullshit and 100% worth it.

My favorite is still the bot with the stage pistols that coincidentally "hit" at the same time as its spinner opponent blew itself up.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's cripple fighting time!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Burger bot is still bad

What is Duck's powered weapon? A movable wedge doesn't really count.

The Blacksmith-Witch Doctor ending, :stare:

Were Lockjaw and Bronco on the same radio frequency? Neither bot really worked right

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well that was an incredibly lame episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat those burgerbot doofuses for getting my hopes up that they might actually do something. :mad:

Congratz to Witch Doctor though, which is a sentence I didn't think I'd be saying any time soon. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Ringer did a top ten fights of the ABC years, as well as generally sang the praises of fighting robots.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

God drat those burgerbot doofuses for getting my hopes up that they might actually do something. :mad:

Yeah, this. I wanted to see that bacon spin-up but no, a piece of poo poo again. :(

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I do love the clip where they basically flat out admitted they made lovely engineering choices just to make it look like a burger.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I do love the clip where they basically flat out admitted they made lovely engineering choices just to make it look like a burger.

I feel like they don't exactly expect their bot to dominate and are there to have fun

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Flash with no substance. Sponsored by imgur. :v:
https://battlebots.com/robot/battle-royale-with-cheese-s3/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gromit posted:

Yeah, this. I wanted to see that bacon spin-up but no, a piece of poo poo again. :(

Speaking of pieces of poo poo I appreciate the effort they put into its ai but has Chomp ever actually accomplished anything? Even the MIT bot dunked on it.

e: lmao Duck! rules

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2018

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like they don't exactly expect their bot to dominate and are there to have fun
Lot of effort and money to have fun

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Fun for whom. Their bot doesn't even run and for the audience it's just a complete waste of time since the match is decided before it even starts.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

beepsandboops posted:

Lot of effort and money to have fun

Rich nerds need hobbies

How do you think this thing ever started?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Fun for whom.

People who want to watch a stupid hamburger bot get torn apart? I mean, it's like pitting Mike Tyson against Ben Carson: you don't go to see if Tyson wins, you go to see how bad he could gently caress up Carson.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If that's your plan, stick some sacrificial propane in there or something so that sucker gets lit up.
Robot Wars had a bot in every year that was "okay", but the best thing was the fur they stuck on it that always got set on fire.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Burger bot is a barely moving target. If it worked that would be something at least. Blacksmith is a bit of a gimmick bot but it's tough and sometimes works. Huge is a total gimmick but is hilarious because it defeats wedges and doesn't explode the instant it's hit. It's all about execution.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The burgerbot team posted a postmortem to imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/9XZFHeE

quote:

Things went south... immediately.

Shorter Pounder's controller was not transmitting correctly (interference?), and the little guy started wandering in the arena =0
but that's ok! His job was to be a tasty target for Hypershock to knock around while we got the weapon up to speed and Hypershock absolutely went for it.

The hit was so fast the driver's finger was on the flame thrower, but we didn't get to launch fire :(

But then something went really, REALLY WRONG...

quote:

The Electronic Speed Controller on the brushless weapon drive absolutely poo poo the bed. We have running theories on why the ESC cooked to death, from a current backflow to damage from a Hypershock hit. We were pretty devastated.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I checked out their youtube channel and I guess they tested it out in the testing box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JflaLY_Vvdk

Maybe next year?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

congratulations to chomp on not being the biggest piece of poo poo robot in the tournament

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of sad, the first time they meet in many years and Bronco and Lock-Jaw were both unable to operate in the way they intended.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I understand why they couldn’t / didn’t, but I wish they would have stopped the match as soon as it was apparent that there was some sort of controller / frequency issue for both bots and let them fix things to have a proper match

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It wouldn't have helped much. One side of lockjaws drive died almost immediately. Bronco was the only one having interference issues. The team posted that they never found the cause but that it also didn't resurface so maybe it's next fight will be more impressive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was wondering about the arena weapons. Do we know how much power the box hammers hit with? And what are the screws supposed to do, anyway?

E: I hadn't finished watching the episode when I posted this so uh I guess that's what the screws are supposed to do. I think that's the first time I've ever seen them be a factor though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 2, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Most of the arena hazards might be effective with the lower weight class bots, but they really don't do too much to these heavy weight bots. Maybe the kill saws if they got on a tire.

But the screws do kind of pull a bot outside the arena, there were a few fights in the last seasons where bots were KO due to the screws. Don't think they are supposed to jam up on a bot like they tried to do with witch doctor though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They reverse when something jams them to prevent the motor from exploding.

• Locked thread