Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't particularly think that "this fight requires you to use cheese tactics that abuse faults in game mechanics" is a logical argument that a fight is fairly designed and balanced.

It's a good thing I said the opposite then. Did you actually read my posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Weigraf is totally beatable without needing any sort of cheesy strategy at all. People jump to suggest abusing Ramza's stat boosts, but you shouldn't need to unless you're under-leveled/jobbed/equipped. And it's not like Ramza's not had to 1-1 a swordskill unit before.

Riovanes 3 is way meaner.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I remember when that fight happens with the rest of your party behind a wall I had a black chocobo so Ramza just flew away and came back with his army

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
My first time playing FFT, I didn't get any outside help. I didn't realize you could open the gate during the duel with Gafgarion. And I didn't notice Ramza's Squire had extra abilities/equip options compared to a normal Squire. My Monk Ramza kicked rear end regardless.

Anyway, I think people make too big of a deal about "cheesy" strategies or "abusing" game mechanics. It's a game, play to win.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish chocobo riding was better than it is is FFT.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

I wish chocobo riding was better than it is is FFT.
They ride the hell out of some FMV chocobos though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's a good thing I said the opposite then. Did you actually read my posts?

Admittedly I was only half awake and on the toilet when I posted so probably not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair you shouldn’t be reading any posts in the Final Fantasy thread to begin with.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gigglefeimer posted:

My first time playing FFT, I didn't get any outside help. I didn't realize you could open the gate during the duel with Gafgarion. And I didn't notice Ramza's Squire had extra abilities/equip options compared to a normal Squire. My Monk Ramza kicked rear end regardless.

Anyway, I think people make too big of a deal about "cheesy" strategies or "abusing" game mechanics. It's a game, play to win.

Ironically I think minmaxing people have more trouble with the assassins because they're less likely to have weak people already.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Remember that at some point in Ivalice's history some fundamental aspect of reality changes so that when people die they turn into crystals. Know what other game has people turn into crystals? FFXIII. Mind. BLOWN.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only good games set in Ivalice are Vagrant Story and FF14

Every other game set there is a broken, unfinished/not thought-through mess of half cool ideas cause Matsuno was always the lesser Nomura.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And Nomura's sins are all forgiven for producing TWEWY, the greatest video game ever created and perhaps the mediums only true work of art.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only good games set in Ivalice are Vagrant Story and FF14

Every other game set there is a broken, unfinished/not thought-through mess of half cool ideas cause Matsuno was always the lesser Nomura.

Nah

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Matsuno was always the lesser Nomura.
This is a SPICY take considering Nomura is able to finish precisely nothing and is, by all accounts, kind of a godawful director. He's a designer!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Their favorite game is Dirge of Cerberus, can't be helped

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's possible to do Riovanes Rooftop without a walkthrough, but if you don't have an intimate understanding of AI targeting priority, you really are placing your fate in the hands of the RNG in a fight where all the enemies are not only regular physical tanks but also dodge tanks, and to make matters worse two of them have an instant kill attack with a 100% hit rate and no charge time. There's no way that you can say that it's well designed.

Like now that I understand everything about the mission, yeah I can say in retrospect "oh it's easy you can do it in one move!!!!!" but I don't because I'm not that kind of rear end in a top hat and I remember how frustrating it can be if you don't know absolutely everything about the battle system.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is a SPICY take considering Nomura is able to finish precisely nothing and is, by all accounts, kind of a godawful director. He's a designer!

Admittedly I have little love for Matsuno. I think his strength is in setting and contrivance, rather than in character pieces, but he keeps making games centered around your small party when they rarely get individual character development and your plucky heroes are almost never involved in interesting events. The world is spinning around them and the plot happens to everyone except for your party until the very end of the game; you spend most of his games trying not to get shanked by nameless ghosts in a bog.

This is why I think his best work was Ogre Battle on the SNES. There are next to no characters to speak of, and interesting things happen to your party because your party is the entire rebel army and individual dramas are irrelevant, so his whole overarching plot and historical drama thing gets to shine in its entirety.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 27, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

Their favorite game is Dirge of Cerberus, can't be helped

It can be helped by playing a different game, hell any game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Kingdom Hearts alone puts him ahead of Matsuno. Both in Quantity and quality.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Ironically I think minmaxing people have more trouble with the assassins because they're less likely to have weak people already.

Nah, people in the know have parties full of glass cannons because it's easier to steamroll through battles in FFT with overwhelming offense.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's possible to do Riovanes Rooftop without a walkthrough, but if you don't have an intimate understanding of AI targeting priority, you really are placing your fate in the hands of the RNG in a fight where all the enemies are not only regular physical tanks but also dodge tanks, and to make matters worse two of them have an instant kill attack with a 100% hit rate and no charge time. There's no way that you can say that it's well designed.

Like now that I understand everything about the mission, yeah I can say in retrospect "oh it's easy you can do it in one move!!!!!" but I don't because I'm not that kind of rear end in a top hat and I remember how frustrating it can be if you don't know absolutely everything about the battle system.
Yeah the best that can be said about the rooftop is that whether you win or lose, it's mercifully short, so even if you die a few times you'll still probably pass it in the same time as a normal battle or two takes, and the fact that it's so RNG dependent means you'll probably blunder your way into a win even if you don't change your setup. Any modifications to make your units faster/stronger (equipping Green Berets, Wizard Robes) also has the added benefit of reducing your HP relative to other equipment which will make your units more likely as targets.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
You kids want to help Square-Enix decide their future and beg for Chrono Break while you're at it?

Square-Enix's Player Survey: https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/help-us-shape-the-future-of-square-enix

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
y'all mad about having to reset and try different strategies on a map when some event surprises you should never play fire emblem

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
hot take: if they don't have a concept compelling enough to justify a third Chrono game, it's better to let the series meet its dignified end than agitating for it to get the Tierkreis treatment

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

y'all mad about having to reset and try different strategies on a map when some event surprises you should never play fire emblem

i dont understand why in some of those games...on hard mode , on maps where enemies are 'reinforced' by enemy units just spawning on top of forts, why they dont give you the message that that's gonna happen the turn before. just cause i'm playing on hard doesnt mean i don't want to know that!!

also i didn't realize you could ride a chocobo in fft for like ten years!!!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mister Olympus posted:

Similarly, I'm pretty sure people that complain about the rooftop fight never played Tactics Ogre. God that game was infuriating with making you save suicidal NPCs that would get slaughtered before you could get anywhere near them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Reiterpallasch posted:

hot take: if they don't have a concept compelling enough to justify a third Chrono game, it's better to let the series meet its dignified end than agitating for it to get the Tierkreis treatment

They're 1 game too late for "dignified" mate.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sunning posted:

You kids want to help Square-Enix decide their future and beg for Chrono Break while you're at it?

Square-Enix's Player Survey: https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/help-us-shape-the-future-of-square-enix

Classifying Kingdom Hearts this way amuses me.

E: Interesting that FFT gets a spot on "which games have you played". Must be on their mind.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 28, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Schwartzcough posted:

Similarly, I'm pretty sure people that complain about the rooftop fight never played Tactics Ogre. God that game was infuriating with making you save suicidal NPCs that would get slaughtered before you could get anywhere near them.

The existence of other bad levels in games does not make a bad level not-bad.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
nuclear take: chrono cross was good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiterpallasch posted:

gently caress the world

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bruceski posted:

The existence of other bad levels in games does not make a bad level not-bad.

The point I was originally making is that part of difficulty in strategy games--and honestly, in any game that wants to be difficult (dark souls?)--is pulling surprises on players that force them to adapt, and if necessary, reset.

It applies especially to strategy games because that's the entire point of the game in the first place; you come in, realize gradually over a few attempts which moves should happen when and where, then you've cleared it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

The point I was originally making is that part of difficulty in strategy games--and honestly, in any game that wants to be difficult (dark souls?)--is pulling surprises on players that force them to adapt, and if necessary, reset.

It applies especially to strategy games because that's the entire point of the game in the first place; you come in, realize gradually over a few attempts which moves should happen when and where, then you've cleared it.

yeah if the maps are such that you are able to just adapt on the fly with no prep, generally you're also able to totally steamroll the map with zero opposition once you have any idea what you're doing

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress the world

They're right though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reiterpallasch posted:

I did not hate it. I also did not finish it. Did kind of love the bit where the main guy gets swapped with the feline villain and then has to fight his former teammates.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

radical dreamers is the best one

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They're right though.

gently caress the world is literally what chrono cross says at the end of the game but perhaps not quite so succinctly

the whole spiel about how the planet is the egg and you are the spermatozoa etc etc

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reiterpallasch posted:

I thought nuclear takes were supposed to be controversial?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mister Olympus posted:

Its not a bad way to make a game but the world has moved on for the moment, even in strategy. They get around it in things like Xcom and Invisible Inc by letting you lose without losing. Hell even Fire Emblem these days kind of fits in that mold if you feel like playing hardcore on a normal difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Eventually all dreams will return to Zurvan... to the sea of dreams...