Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Design within Reach: wealthy people stuff for the merely rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If you find a knockoff brand, post it. I want the bar but can't afford the price.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I live in LA which means I end up with an obscene amount of reusable grocery bags that are entirely inconsistent in their size and material. I store them in a box but can usually only get a few days of them being neat and orderly before housemates resort to cramming them in and leaving the whole thing a mess.

I routinely clear them out so that I only keep 5-10 of my favorites but even with that it becomes a wreck. Does anyone have a good solution for storing these bags and keeping them organized?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sab0921 posted:

Design Within Reach is such a bullshit name

Mocking Bird posted:

Design within Reach: wealthy people stuff for the merely rich

Design Within (Whose?) Reach

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Teeter posted:

I live in LA which means I end up with an obscene amount of reusable grocery bags that are entirely inconsistent in their size and material. I store them in a box but can usually only get a few days of them being neat and orderly before housemates resort to cramming them in and leaving the whole thing a mess.

I routinely clear them out so that I only keep 5-10 of my favorites but even with that it becomes a wreck. Does anyone have a good solution for storing these bags and keeping them organized?

Keep them in your car and get less bags.

(Also if they're in your car you won't care if they're messy.)

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Wait, people organize them beyond "use one bag to hold the other bags"?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

extravadanza posted:

If you find a knockoff brand, post it. I want the bar but can't afford the price.

I found this - but don't know the actual quality of the pieces - and with shipping from NY - may make it close the the price of the real deal.

https://maxwellblake.com/replica-nathan-yong-line-collection-new-york.html

Another here:

https://www.houzz.com/product/63048...JxoCn1AQAvD_BwE

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 26, 2018

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Oh hey they got a bunch of the 'linea' stuff on Amazon too for cheaper. I wish there was a lighter finish available, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=linea+furniture+zuo

E: cheaper than the Maxwell Blake website, that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if this is the right thread but I saw some guy asking about a bed frame so: What are the best cotton bedsheets?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It depends on what you like. You could get cotton jersey or percale and they would feel completely different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do the finest hotels use

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Most fancy hotels sell their own-branded linens and toiletries, so if you stayed at a W or an Omni or whatever and you really liked what they had, you can buy theoretically the same stuff at http://whotelsthestore.com or http://omnitoyou.com or whatever.

I'm not trying to be difficult, there just isn't a one-size-fits-all GET ME THE GOLD-PLATED SHEETS option

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Def. go to a specialty store and test out their samples on display. If you aren't broke, buy sheets of several different fabric types and try sleeping with them all, see which you prefer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Most fancy hotels sell their own-branded linens and toiletries, so if you stayed at a W or an Omni or whatever and you really liked what they had, you can buy theoretically the same stuff at http://whotelsthestore.com or http://omnitoyou.com or whatever.

I'm not trying to be difficult, there just isn't a one-size-fits-all GET ME THE GOLD-PLATED SHEETS option

Well there ought to be and they ought to sponsor podcasts like the other bedding concerns!

I currently use Casper sheets, which are 400 thread count, but they feel better than, say, 800 thread count sheets from Target. I like them just fine but what if there are better sheets out there??

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
The correct answer is:

Wintertime: the heaviest cotton flannel you can find
Summertime: 100% silk. If you can't afford that, cotton jersey (like from Target) is great.

"Big Sheet" has made it so you are supposed to know stuff about thread count, cotton origin, etc etc to get "optimal sleep comfort" but c'mon. You lay on it unconscious. Going from a "pretty comfortable" sheet to a "100% most optimal comfort level" is not that big of a deal.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

extravadanza posted:

Oh hey they got a bunch of the 'linea' stuff on Amazon too for cheaper. I wish there was a lighter finish available, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=linea+furniture+zuo

E: cheaper than the Maxwell Blake website, that is.

I ended up not getting either as they say they're made with mdf - I feel like that would be too flimsy for $800.

DWR is such bullshit - everything there is really loving cool. Oh well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I moved to a new town and need a roommate. Craigslist is like 90% scammers. Is there a better site?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have Amazon basics sheets and I manage to go to sleep every night without fail.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

vonnegutt posted:

The correct answer is:

Wintertime: the heaviest cotton flannel you can find
Summertime: 100% silk. If you can't afford that, cotton jersey (like from Target) is great.

"Big Sheet" has made it so you are supposed to know stuff about thread count, cotton origin, etc etc to get "optimal sleep comfort" but c'mon. You lay on it unconscious. Going from a "pretty comfortable" sheet to a "100% most optimal comfort level" is not that big of a deal.

Gross, cotton Jersey is rough. Modal is where it’s at.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I sleep in sheets made of meundies

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

zoux posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread but I saw some guy asking about a bed frame so: What are the best cotton bedsheets?
Costco sells sheets, they are as close to lying in a cloud as is possible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I've moved a dozen times over 25 years, mostly as a single man doing long-distance moves alone, pulling a self-packed trailer behind an SUV.

I did my first "adult" move 5 years ago, hired a moving company, paid ~$1,000 to have three otherwise unemployable guys drag rear end all day, slowly move my stuff onto a truck, drive across town, then slowly move it back off.

We are under contract on a different house right now and will probably move in a month or so. The house is a couple blocks from here. I do not wish to repeat the moving experience. I also have too much poo poo to move myself, and I am no longer of an age where I can rope my buddies into moving for me.

I'm considering renting a big rear end truck and picking a couple day laborers off Craigslist (or the defacto alternative in Southern California, picking them up from outside the Home Depot). I figure $15/hr, lunch, and water will get it done for ~$350 plus the truck.

Are there holes in this plan, or is this likely to work?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I've moved a dozen times over 25 years, mostly as a single man doing long-distance moves alone, pulling a self-packed trailer behind an SUV.

I did my first "adult" move 5 years ago, hired a moving company, paid ~$1,000 to have three otherwise unemployable guys drag rear end all day, slowly move my stuff onto a truck, drive across town, then slowly move it back off.

We are under contract on a different house right now and will probably move in a month or so. The house is a couple blocks from here. I do not wish to repeat the moving experience. I also have too much poo poo to move myself, and I am no longer of an age where I can rope my buddies into moving for me.

I'm considering renting a big rear end truck and picking a couple day laborers off Craigslist (or the defacto alternative in Southern California, picking them up from outside the Home Depot). I figure $15/hr, lunch, and water will get it done for ~$350 plus the truck.

You will get three guys you pay in cash instead of a licensed and bonded moving company who you can sue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Thanatosian posted:

You will get three guys you pay in cash instead of a licensed and bonded moving company who you can sue.

It's this. Please hire movers that have proper insurance and equipment.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Maybe I'm just really lucky but I've hired movers several times in the past and they've always busted their asses even in the Florida heat. I've used College Hunks and Two Men and a Truck in the past 5 years and they were great, though I'm sure some franchises are worse than others.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

Maybe I'm just really lucky but I've hired movers several times in the past and they've always busted their asses even in the Florida heat. I've used College Hunks and Two Men and a Truck in the past 5 years and they were great, though I'm sure some franchises are worse than others.
This has been my experience with movers as well. My suspicion is that the movers were taking care and time to make sure photomikey's stuff didn't get damaged and they didn't hurt themselves.

But that's based entirely on everything else I've ever seen photomikey post, and no real evidence, so pure supposition.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've had only Modal jersey style sheets for about 15 years now and I'll never go back. They're soft, and comfortable year round. They do pill a lot as they wear, but that's the only issue I've had.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

photomikey posted:

Hire the movers, cheapass. I’m sure you’ll find another way to exploit a day laborer.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

photomikey posted:

Holy poo poo your worldview

Make sure you talk down to them too, and stand over them to make sure they don't drop anything

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there an easy way to see what internet providers are availabe for a specific address? (Houston, TX)

Even ISPs' own websites don't have a way to see if they can reach me other than asking them in an email and hoping they get back to me ~soon~.

E: This is made extra hard because I'm moving into a garage apartment with a silly address that has used three different spellings on two different streets in the records/utilities I've searched so far.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 10, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Quick gut check: shopping for a new bedframe and I'm limited myself to platform beds with built-in storage. Mentioned this to some friends and they suggested just getting a regular bedframe with appropriate height clearance and then under-bed totes for simplicity, because that also makes moving easier. There are storage beds with drawers, and then also those that have hydraulics / pneumatics to lift up the entire mattress to get to the innards. I was hoping to graduate from IKEA but the MALM is pretty cheap with or without the storage drawers.

It seems like I should just look for a platform bed I like that has accessible space underneath and then check the amount of ground clearance?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I threw away my box frame and traditional bedframe and got a foam mattress with a taller bedframe like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B006MISZOC

There's tons of room under it - my dog sleeps under my bed now. I keep extra clothes in long bags and totes under it. It's not beautiful, but you can't even see the bins because my comforter drapes over the sides of my bed anyway.

e: I don't need to have fancy bedroom furniture anymore, I already snared a wife.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

extravadanza posted:

I threw away my box frame and traditional bedframe and got a foam mattress with a taller bedframe like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B006MISZOC

There's tons of room under it - my dog sleeps under my bed now. I keep extra clothes in long bags and totes under it. It's not beautiful, but you can't even see the bins because my comforter drapes over the sides of my bed anyway.

e: I don't need to have fancy bedroom furniture anymore, I already snared a wife.

Hell yeah, I'll endorse this product. I've got two of these, one for each bedroom. They're sturdy, quiet, and easy to set up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Definitely on the other end of the price spectrum, but Room & Board has nice tall bedframes in a number of their styles.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
What's the nominal experience when doing lease renewal? I've called the main local office (property managed by Rockwell), and long story short, they won't give me a quote on my renewal until a week before I have to give them notice whether or not I'm moving out. Is this pretty standard, or just them being an rear end?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

What's the nominal experience when doing lease renewal? I've called the main local office (property managed by Rockwell), and long story short, they won't give me a quote on my renewal until a week before I have to give them notice whether or not I'm moving out. Is this pretty standard, or just them being an rear end?
Yes. Check your local ordinances to make sure they're in compliance if they want to jack up your rent.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

extravadanza posted:

I've got a Purple mattress and no box-frame, yep! What do you do for a headboard? I'm renting, so don't really want to toss a headboard into studs.

It does appear I must choose between the floaty looks of something like this vs. having ~30 sq. ft back of space in a 600 sq. ft apartment to store spare linens and other stuff.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

movax posted:

Quick gut check: shopping for a new bedframe and I'm limited myself to platform beds with built-in storage. Mentioned this to some friends and they suggested just getting a regular bedframe with appropriate height clearance and then under-bed totes for simplicity, because that also makes moving easier. There are storage beds with drawers, and then also those that have hydraulics / pneumatics to lift up the entire mattress to get to the innards. I was hoping to graduate from IKEA but the MALM is pretty cheap with or without the storage drawers.

It seems like I should just look for a platform bed I like that has accessible space underneath and then check the amount of ground clearance?

This is what I've always done, and used covered Rubbermaids for the storage. It's nicer than drawer imo because you can pull out the bin and put it on the bed to go through it, rather than having to bend down and fish around in the drawer. Get a bedskirt to cover the clearance and it looks more or less identical. The only downside is that stuff can get kicked under there, so you have to clear it out before you vacuum.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

movax posted:

I've got a Purple mattress and no box-frame, yep! What do you do for a headboard? I'm renting, so don't really want to toss a headboard into studs.

It does appear I must choose between the floaty looks of something like this vs. having ~30 sq. ft back of space in a 600 sq. ft apartment to store spare linens and other stuff.

I actually built my own headboard. It's a DIY version of this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/mandal-headboard__0107526_PE257208_S4.JPG since they don't sell it in the USA anymore. I don't rent, so I just bolted it straight to studs on my wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

extravadanza posted:

I was looking for a taller bed for my foam mattress and I considered the metal ones there but I went with this
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/kd-frames-nomad-plus-platform-bed-kdfr1011.html

I like it a lot. Unlike IKEA stuff, it's all actual wood (tulip poplar they claim) and it seems sturdy. Almost a foot of clearance under the bed as well. Took a couple of hours to put together, it uses metal cross dowels but only 8 screws. I just got it on Tuesday but so far it seems really sturdy, and I prefer the wood to metal. It's unfinished as well, so you can stain or varnish it if you like, I just went with raw.