Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxdzTf9JOP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

do you think they'd be as upset if a woman weren't involved

If they weren't sadbrains idiots allergic to fun, they'd probably be less upset as well. Dying on the hill that Megaman X villains must be named in "[adjective] [animal]" form is some weird poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Absolver good I can't really tell what it's supposed to be reading about it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
haven't really played any games this summer and it felt pretty good but now i done hosed up and bought hollow knight

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Absolver good I can't really tell what it's supposed to be reading about it

a communal multiplayer martial arts open world fighting game where you develop your own moveset

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taintrunner posted:

a communal multiplayer martial arts open world fighting game where you develop your own moveset

I thought it was a creepy cinematic sci-fi horror game starring Rutger Hauer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No it's a sci-fi dystopian twin stick shooter.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Observer

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gently caress sony for continuing to force david cage games upon me

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You will Press X to Shaun and you will like it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My PS+ ran out and I'm glad I haven't renewed it yet

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The Too Many Cooks people finally put out a new video. It's a parody of video games and streaming, and it's very reminiscent of a specific episode of Xavier Renegade Angel.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

The Too Many Cooks people finally put out a new video. It's a parody of video games and streaming, and it's very reminiscent of a specific episode of Xavier Renegade Angel.
I just watched this. The looping nested structure was neat but I'm not sure they know as much about games or streaming culture as they think they do.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The ending kind of felt like an old man shaking his fist at clouds kids enjoying video games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why yes in fact I do enjoy PUBG

Playing
Undeniably
Better
Games

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The ending kind of felt like an old man shaking his fist at clouds kids enjoying video games.
A lot of the gags in the video seem like they were made by people that aren't aware that Desert Bus is a thing that exists.

Like the whole thing seems like a satire of streaming culture only created from watching other satire videos on YouTube, and not any actual direct experience with that phenomenon or video games themselves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The actual best Too Many Cooks video this year is the Nintendo E3 Smash Bros. Presentation

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, how's everyone doing today

I'm not feeling well at all tbh, I keep passing out asleep and I can barely stay awake when I'm actually awake. Right now I've been awake for about 20 minutes and I feel like I'm gonna drop again soon, trying to keep myself awake as long as possible though.

Anything fun happening wherever you people live? A big motorcycle rally just ended last weekend so that's nice since we won't be hearing the motorcycles revving up all throughout the day.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm I am kinda wonder whether extending my sub was worth it, but I only paid 41.99 instead of 59.99.

Absolver looks like absolute bullshit I will never load. Heavy rain is a solid maybe.

Then again I have had plus for a year and really obly played second son and ratchet and clank out of all the games so...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Raxivace posted:

A lot of the gags in the video seem like they were made by people that aren't aware that Desert Bus is a thing that exists.

Like the whole thing seems like a satire of streaming culture only created from watching other satire videos on YouTube, and not any actual direct experience with that phenomenon or video games themselves.

The real world acting like they're being controlled like a video game character bit was done better a decade ago by Dave Chappelle

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

The real world acting like they're being controlled like a video game character bit was done better a decade ago by Dave Chappelle

Rewatching Chappelle's GTA skit after 10+ years is great because the characters in GTA5 still move like that. Animation in video games is a lot better but basically only Naughty Dog have perfected seamless transitions. I spent 10 minutes in Uncharted 4 pushing against walls and having Nate brush his hand against it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

FirstAidKite posted:

Anything fun happening wherever you people live? A big motorcycle rally just ended last weekend so that's nice since we won't be hearing the motorcycles revving up all throughout the day.

I'm in the woods and it might start raining soon, if it does I'm gonna play 3ds in my tent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snakes been doing that since the PS1

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm enjoying Peace Walker but I'm starting to dread the boss missions. It may be that I just don't have the better equipment yet but they feel like a constant slog of use my 7 rockets -> hide and wait for resupply -> repeat and they take ages.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I picked up Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 because it was cheap and I was curious. I'm terrible at fighting games so I mostly just fly around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao this is kind of incredibly amazing:

https://kotaku.com/someone-made-a-pachinko-machine-in-no-mans-sky-1827171318

edit: note that's on the PS4 version so they didn't even have to use any mods to do it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I've been thinking about renaming myself "Hodeo Kojumbo"

Maybe if I still find it funny but not too funny after thinking about it for the 500th time

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm enjoying Peace Walker but I'm starting to dread the boss missions. It may be that I just don't have the better equipment yet but they feel like a constant slog of use my 7 rockets -> hide and wait for resupply -> repeat and they take ages.

Bring all your explosives including mines and grenades, and don't neglect the heavy machine guns. The boss missions were meant for multiplayer but the main story stuff is doable if you're doing all the side missions and researching the latest stuff as available. Once you get into post game content just turn that poo poo off unless you have friends.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

imagine doing 42 of the apc/tank/helicopter fights where you throw a smoke grenade, cqc all the guys and fulton them, then hide and repeat when they replenish

which i did because i love peace walker hahahhaha. i don't love that part as much though

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

Bring all your explosives including mines and grenades, and don't neglect the heavy machine guns. The boss missions were meant for multiplayer but the main story stuff is doable if you're doing all the side missions and researching the latest stuff as available. Once you get into post game content just turn that poo poo off unless you have friends.

Ah, I didn't realise the co-op was such a big part of it, I'll follow your advice.

oddium posted:

imagine doing 42 of the apc/tank/helicopter fights where you throw a smoke grenade, cqc all the guys and fulton them, then hide and repeat when they replenish

which i did because i love peace walker hahahhaha. i don't love that part as much though

gently caress dude

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ah, I didn't realise the co-op was such a big part of it, I'll follow your advice.

gently caress dude

Monster Hunter was white hot on PSP at the time so Konami was like "we want that Capcom portable money." Then Monster Hunter jumped ship to DS.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Raxivace posted:

I just watched this. The looping nested structure was neat but I'm not sure they know as much about games or streaming culture as they think they do.

Considering gaming and streaming culture are fractured by nature and not monolithic, it's really hard for anyone to nail down in a way that feels authentic to everyone. The video was amusing in any case.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oddium posted:

I don't have patience for a lot of tedious grinding yet I feel I'm doing something similar.

Rayman Legends is one of my favorite platformers and all it's trophies are easy to get- but one of them literally takes actual months to do. When you 100% the game you get 4000 points and you get a trophy for 6000. Only way to get the other 2000? By doing daily/weekly challenges.

On top of that your rank for that day determines what you get
Bronze - 2 points
Silver - 5 points
Gold - 10 points
Diamond - 50 points

It's not as easy as doing well either as the way the ranks are set up only a limited amount of people are allowed to get into each category. Only 1% of players for example are allowed to get a diamond cup and if someone beats you and you're the lowest score you get kicked down to gold etc.

I'm a top worldwide player when it comes to distance challenges but days where it's anything else I have to settle for Gold and it's just this grind I wish I was done with. Almost there though :sigh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you aren't finding it fun, don't do it imo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

if you aren't finding it fun, don't do it imo

forever thread title

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Something something sunken cost and its easy just time consuming.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Learning how to escape a skinner box that has its teeth in you is an important skill for modern gamers to have

not really aiming that at you since achievement grinding isn't really a skinner box but it reminded me that I've been wanting to say that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i thought the vehicle fights were still fun in an exhibition of technical skill and execution. there's just 40+ of them and i would have been okay with less

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

Learning how to escape a skinner box that has its teeth in you is an important skill for modern gamers to have

not really aiming that at you since achievement grinding isn't really a skinner box but it reminded me that I've been wanting to say that

It is, though. You get the little jingle or whatever, and usually they're set up to give you lots of achievements early on but a few will require impossible grinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i've done seven day survivor in dead rising twice and that one's just boring. no grinding, no skill, barely any inputs in the 14 real life hours you need to play

• Locked thread