Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I was Yueh? I don’t think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Kwisatz Haderach.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Testikles posted:

*Hover car with the Harkonnen Flag on the hood flies up*
*A fat hairy slob in gaudy clothes, and an orange muscleman slide out*
"Dune? Fuggedabowdit!"

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a lasgun
Papa never told you
That the interaction between a laser beam and. Holtzmann effect created by an operating shield would cause subatomic fusion

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Thumper?! I barely know ‘er!

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
My job? Water management consultant.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yueh mad?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

You think you’ve won?? *dies*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I once made a simple FUDGE adaptation for playing in Dune. It was fun, even for people who'd never played a roleplaying game before and hadn't read Dune.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I once made a simple FUDGE adaptation for playing in Dune. It was fun, even for people who'd never played a roleplaying game before and hadn't read Dune.

don't blueball me you fucker

dig up that Word 98 document or whatever and share it

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BONGHITZ posted:

You think you’ve won?? *dies*

Little know fact, he was actually saying “Yueh thinks you’ve won” but he was having trouble speaking properly because of all the stabs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You want the tooth?

You can't handle the tooth!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

don't blueball me you fucker

dig up that Word 98 document or whatever and share it
I can, but bear in mind that a) it's not a complete game because I just made handbooks for the players telling them only what they need to know, b) the rules for things like the Weirding and Dueling maneuvers are missing, and c) it's got a bunch of copyrighted artwork that I should strip out before I share it with anybody.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Unless you're about to sell it it doesn't matter

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Feyd: Uncle, how did you manage to break the imperial conditioning of a Suk Doctor?

Baron: I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

"In ten thousand years of there being all kinds of crazy mind-control drugs and Bene Gesserit Mind Tricks, NOBODY has EVER broken Suk Doctor conditioning to make them betray their patients."

"Hey Dr. Yueh, we're going to kill your wife if you don't betray your patients."
"Well, you got me there."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Way to Suk

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

"In ten thousand years of there being all kinds of crazy mind-control drugs and Bene Gesserit Mind Tricks, NOBODY has EVER broken Suk Doctor conditioning to make them betray their patients."

"Hey Dr. Yueh, we're going to kill your wife if you don't betray your patients."
"Well, you got me there."

They promised to “reunite him with his wife”, didn’t they? That’s the most obvious way of saying “lol we already killed her and we’ll kill you when the job is done” and he still went along with it.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
No pain amplifier no gain amplifier

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They promised to “reunite him with his wife”, didn’t they? That’s the most obvious way of saying “lol we already killed her and we’ll kill you when the job is done” and he still went along with it.

I thought it was implied he knew he'd get murdered

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

The implication was that he suspected what was going on but was never entirely sure. The chance that the baron would maybe actually give his wife back was worth the risk but either way he decided to kill the poo poo out of the baron no matter what. He realized he was very probably screwed no matter what though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was announced explicitly. Most of the plot of Dune is described in detail before they even leave Caladan. Everything important, including the Fremen jihad and Paul marrying Irulan, is revealed before Paul and Jessica escape into the storm.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

He basically resolved to trade the Duke's life, went out of his way to help Paul and Jessica, and then commenced with doing the thing to try and kill the Baron. His conditioning wasn't broken so much as he loved his bene gesserit girlfriend so much he wanted revenge more than he wanted to keep the Duke alive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

He basically resolved to trade the Duke's life, went out of his way to help Paul and Jessica, and then commenced with doing the thing to try and kill the Baron. His conditioning wasn't broken so much as he loved his bene gesserit girlfriend so much he wanted revenge more than he wanted to keep the Duke alive.

I've always imagined the conditioning as a super-Hippocratic Oath programmed into the doctor's mind like the loving First Law of Robotics, so for him to betray the Duke would seem to imply it was broken in some fashion. That or, like in Asimov's robot stories, Yueh mentally lawyered himself into it: lowering the house shields is not the same as killing the Duke himself, etc.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
When they go through the fort of Arrakeen killing all the retainers, Yueh is marked as a noncombatant. As sad as he is, he recognizes it by all the people going through saying "oh don't mind the traitor."

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
*Baron Harkonnen is stuffing his face with spice-laden food*

Piter "Hey Baron, Arrakis called, they're running out of spice."

The Baron fumes, but can't think of a comeback. He arranges it so the same situation happens again.

Piter "Hey Baron, Arrakis called, they're running out of spice."

Baron "Yeah, well Yueh called and said they're running out of dead mentat-assassins."

Piter looks puzzled.

*Dune happens*

Piter "Ahhhhhh." Dies.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Piter DeDies.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Reading the Dune Encyclopedia for the first time and Harq al-Harba is a really loving weird idea. Essentially a Shakespeare-like character from early into Leto II’s reign with similar challenged authorship. Even weirder still that Fenring is rumored to be one of the true identities after faking his own death.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, well, the jerk store called and they're running out of Yueh!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, well, the jerk store called and they're running out of Yueh!

"That's gold Stilgar, gold!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm glad this last page happened, aren't Yueh?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
It kinda suked.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Suk me? Suk Yueh!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Suk Zone

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

suk my duke you fremen

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i really dont care. do yueh?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
There's a French fan RPG I'm going to grind my way through one of these days. Imperium. Might be dead now, but it's been around for a while.

Whatever the quality, at least "Pour des raisons entièrement subjectives, j’ai choisi de ne pas prendre en compte les divers prequels écrits par Brian Herbert et Kevin Anderson..."
So it can't be all bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Imperium looks like they've put a lot of thought into it; it's been through multiple editions and even has original art.

Alas, I don't speak French.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

For entirely subjective reasons, I chose not to take into account the various prequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

:yeah:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dung: desert catbox planet.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Youee had to be sure his wife was dead, and not living in a pain amplifier. If she was alive in one, I don't know what he would have done, though.

Plus, she was a bg so something she taught him might have helped break the conditioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

suk my duke you fremen