Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress a heat rock is.

It's a fire track

But also it's a bit more elaborated on in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vT18rqIio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vonnie posted:

It's a fire track

But also it's a bit more elaborated on in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vT18rqIio

Ok, I was confused by how they said they'd bring in "musicians, artists, etc etc". Now I get that the guest tells them about an album they love. I thought it was supposed to be an album the guest had written/produced.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ConanThe3rd posted:

Went through a re...watch(?) of the first few arcs of adventure zone balance on a coach trip and I’m surprised about how much of the overall arc seemed to be planned out by Griffin as early as it was without it seeming like he was railroading Tres Horny Boys into it.

Also had to bite my arm to not laugh out loud at the death of Magic Brain because whoo boy is that ever hilarious.

What is a coach trip.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

timp posted:

What is a coach trip.

A coach is a big bus designed for especially long trips. Like, uh, Greyhound I guess?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I grokked the meaning of heat rock the first time I heard the ad, but that doesn't excuse Morgan Rhodes from apparently only being able to communicate in cryptic metaphors. "A heat rock is...you know, a fire track, a banger, true fire, a chakra holiday, that smelly good good, new kicks on Sunday morning...it's like that."

Also Magic Brian is still one of my favorite moments in all of TAZ or the McElroy universe in general. It was the first time that Griffin really gave up the script and just played in the space.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

I grokked the meaning of heat rock the first time I heard the ad, but that doesn't excuse Morgan Rhodes from apparently only being able to communicate in cryptic metaphors. "A heat rock is...you know, a fire track, a banger, true fire, a chakra holiday, that smelly good good, new kicks on Sunday morning...it's like that."

Yeah, that bullshit didn't help.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A [slang term] is.....[5 more slang terms instead of a concrete explanation of the concept of your show]

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How have you people never heard of any of those terms for a good song? Hell even griffin has talked about bangers and hot tracks before. The ad is perfectly clear.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

George H.W. oval office posted:

How have you people never heard of any of those terms for a good song? Hell even griffin has talked about bangers and hot tracks before. The ad is perfectly clear.

I have literally, and I mean literally, never heard the term 'heat rock'. Banger, maybe, but certainly never in conversation with people - it's simply not the kind of phrase I'm associated with or deal with ever.

It's like that time that Johnny Depp fans were yelling that he was 'bae', and he turns to the camera and asks 'what is bae?'.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think my thing with the Heat Rocks ad was that I'm pretty sure I understood what it was from the beginning, but thought I was wrong because "People come on and talk about other people's songs they like" sounded like a very strange concept for a podcast to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also at least from the ad, it sounds like they're trying way too hard to be cool, and it doesn't feel natural. I don't need my podcast hosts constantly using their bedroom voices. No ASMR for me, thanks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Heat Rocks has a pretty douchey description of itself, but Pop Rocket’s is much worse.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

I've only heard Griffin and Rachel call good songs "the slaps"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

creationist believer posted:

I've only heard Griffin and Rachel call good songs "the slaps"

What is a heat rock? It's a 'the slap'.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Heat Rocks has a pretty douchey description of itself, but Pop Rocket’s is much worse.

here's your annual reminder that when pop rocket underperformed in maxfundrive (2017?), guy decided to chide their listeners in the following episode.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogsicle posted:

here's your annual reminder that when pop rocket underperformed in maxfundrive (2017?), guy decided to chide their listeners in the following episode.

Do you have an episode number? I would like this to be the only episode of Pop rocket I ever listen to

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ojjeorago posted:

whenever i hear the word "snark" used in their ads my skeleton gets that much closer to hell

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the deal with I pop rocket? Is the guy just insufferable?

I need gossip or whatever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i still like the pop rocket people and guy is good on other podcasts, but that maxfundrive stuff turned me off every listening to pop rocket itself again. i'll try finding which episode it was tonight

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

To me, “heat rock” is something lizards sleep on.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Guy Branum is funny and pretty smart but I could easily see him getting shat up about donations being low.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah I never had any issue with the ad. It's weirder y'all care this much about the ad.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Guy Branum, owner of a voice so stereotypically gay that it would be hideously offensive if anyone else did it as a bit, recently released a memoir entitled My Life as a Goddess.

I have a hard time imagining any sort of theoretical personality that I would be less enticed to listen to host a podcast.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

A [slang term] is.....[5 more slang terms instead of a concrete explanation of the concept of your show]

Yeah, it's... a joke?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

poop dood posted:

Guy Branum, owner of a voice so stereotypically gay that it would be hideously offensive if anyone else did it as a bit, recently released a memoir entitled My Life as a Goddess.

I have a hard time imagining any sort of theoretical personality that I would be less enticed to listen to host a podcast.

Yep, he sure is gay.

Mikey Purp posted:

This is truth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mikey Purp posted:

Also Magic Brian is still one of my favorite moments in all of TAZ or the McElroy universe in general. It was the first time that Griffin really gave up the script and just played in the space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWot_8E4g2c

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Modern Leper posted:

Yep, he sure is gay.

Haha yeah this one's totally on me. Couldn't really find a way to articulate my point, which I guess is that white gay male culture is super fuckin shibboleth-based and said shibboleths seem to me at least to be based on co-opting femininity in often misogynistic ways. This totally isn't the appropriate arena for this conversation though, and I'll shut up about it. Pop Rocket is a doo doo show about boring LA pop culture obsessives though, which I think we can all agree on.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

check this

poop rocket

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

poop dood posted:

Haha yeah this one's totally on me. Couldn't really find a way to articulate my point, which I guess is that white gay male culture is super fuckin shibboleth-based and said shibboleths seem to me at least to be based on co-opting femininity in often misogynistic ways. This totally isn't the appropriate arena for this conversation though, and I'll shut up about it. Pop Rocket is a doo doo show about boring LA pop culture obsessives though, which I think we can all agree on.

This sounds super interesting and if you have a link I'd like to learn more.

EDIT: About white gay male culture, not about Pop Rocket being a doo doo show. I've learned all I need to know about that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Guy's also a huge thin skinned baby that's constantly either plugging himself or melting down on twitter so I can't imagine enjoying him being unfiltered on a podcast

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Crocoswine posted:

check this

poop rocket

*walks away from you, leaving you to stare awkwardly at the camera*

Speaking of podcasters who happen to be gay, on my trek through the mbmbam backlog I found out that Jonathan Van Ness of Queer Eye has a podcast that used to be on Max Fun and is now on Earwolf. Any story behind why he left? Is his podcast any good?

Btw Queer Eye is insanely good and I feel like it would appeal to fans of the McElroys

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sexpig by night posted:

Guy's also a huge thin skinned baby that's constantly either plugging himself or melting down on twitter so I can't imagine enjoying him being unfiltered on a podcast

He's funny and unciteful one tweet then a massive whiney baby complaining about Bernie the next.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's funny and unciteful one tweet then a massive whiney baby complaining about Bernie the next.

Ah, we call that Jen Kirkman syndrome. Hugely funny comedian who I can't bear to listen to any more because it's a coinflip as to whether she says something hilarious or yells at Bemie Sanders voters for personally putting Trump in the white house.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Ariong posted:

This sounds super interesting and if you have a link I'd like to learn more.

EDIT: About white gay male culture, not about Pop Rocket being a doo doo show. I've learned all I need to know about that.

No sources to cite outside of my own experience really. You see it all the time: cis men calling each other sister and girlfriend and then being unwilling to use a trans person’s preferred pronouns. Stuff like that. To bring it back somewhat to the topic at hand, I’d rather hear the perspective of a marginalized person than someone who likes to use their slang.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I realised last night my wife hadn't heard Sydnee explaining Tyra Banks' fantasy epic Modelland to Justin so I dug up the link. Anyone here who hasn't listened to it already needs to check it out.

It was the last three episodes of Satellite Dish.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I own a hardbound copy of Modelland, jealous much :smug:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Not Operator posted:

Ah, we call that Jen Kirkman syndrome. Hugely funny comedian who I can't bear to listen to any more because it's a coinflip as to whether she says something hilarious or yells at Bemie Sanders voters for personally putting Trump in the white house.

No where near as bad as Jen but he's an avowed centrist that loathes Trump and has a law degree. It gets really bizarre how much he loathes progressives.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

I own a hardbound copy of Modelland, jealous much :smug:

Little bit yeah

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I would like to clarify that I said "poop rocket" because pop is one letter away from poop, and the show is bad. I was not taking any gayness into account. Thank you